First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Questionable Crunchyroll Advertisements
1268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/24/15 , edited 10/5/16
Lately, the same advertisement created by Crunchyroll on Crunchyroll came on as I was watching an anime, innocently, on my android device.

The advertisement was of a new popular anime called: "Monster Musume Everyday Life With Monster Girls."
Within the advertisement there were two characters shown with questionable appearances.

I understand Crunchyroll may license an Ecchi anime, but to include it in an advertisement which I'm supposed to sit through doesn't seem right.
Why isn't it right? Well, Crunchyroll is supposed to be for users aged 13 and older. Should a 13 year old be seeing things like this? I fear this anime breaches the boundaries of a panty-shot ecchi with it's nipple protrusions. I know these days you can get away with featuring naked girls as long as they aren't humans, but is it really 'right' to be exposing 13 year old kids to this?

I suppose my main constructive criticism is, in the future, if you wish to advertise an Ecchi anime, try not to include any questionable scenes in the advertisement. Thank you.

Here is a screenshot of one of the questionable character's appearances featured in the advert:



I put this in the general discussion because I want to know other's opinions on the questionable advertisements they've seen and their opinion on how Crunchyroll has changed and dealt with them through it's 'tearful' history.

I support Crunchyroll and pray for it's continued success.

EDIT (07/25) I fixed the image link, some said it wasn't working for them.

EDIT (07/29) I think Crunchyroll made this advertisement since it begun with their logo and slogan, and ended with it too.

EDIT (07/29) I've recently learned that Crunchyroll can only use the clips shown in this advertisement https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-IfYF_oesk and this clip was essential for the introduction of this slime character (I think she's one of the protagonists) so I suppose my only constructive criticism is to apply the 'mature content' filter to advertisements too, so people can choose not to see inappropriate advertisements.

This has been a really insightful discussion and its incredibly interesting to see people's continuous contributions. Thank you to the moderator who said he/she would review the issue and sorry to the people who felt the need to report this thread.
It has been four months and nothing was done about the issue. #CrunchyJustice.
11650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/24/15 , edited 1/2/16
13 year olds are looking up porn these days. I think they'll be ok with 2d/3d ecchi adverts...

I'm not sure if the mature content filter applies to ads or not, but either way, it's not a big deal really. It's common practice to advertise your sites material, regardless of what it may be.
22777 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / London
Offline
Posted 7/24/15 , edited 8/1/15

SweetPerplexity wrote:

Lately, the same advertisement created by Crunchyroll on Crunchyroll came on as I was watching an anime, innocently, on my android device.

The advertisement was of a new popular anime called: "Monster Musume Everyday Life With Monster Girls."
Within the advertisement there were two characters shown with questionable appearances.

I understand Crunchyroll may license an Ecchi anime, but to include it in an advertisement which I'm supposed to sit through doesn't seem right.
Why isn't it right? Well, Crunchyroll is supposed to be for users aged 13 and older. Should a 13 year old be seeing things like this? I fear this anime breaches the boundaries of a panty-shot ecchi with it's nipple protrusions. I know these days you can get away with featuring naked girls as long as they aren't humans, but is it really 'right' to be exposing 13 year old kids to this?

I suppose my main constructive criticism is, in the future, if you wish to advertise an Ecchi anime, try not to include any questionable scenes in the advertisement. Thank you.

Here is a screenshot of one of the questionable character's appearances featured in the advert:



I put this in the general discussion because I want to know other's opinions on the questionable advertisements they've seen and their opinion on how Crunchyroll has changed and dealt with them through it's 'tearful' history.

I support Crunchyroll and pray for it's continued success.


Monster Musume is actually viewable when you turn on the maturity filter so technically it is pg 13
1268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/24/15 , edited 1/2/16

dotsforlife wrote:

13 year olds are looking up porn these days. I think they'll be ok with 2d/3d ecchi adverts...

I'm not sure if the mature content filter applies to ads or not, but either way, it's not a big deal really. It's common practice to advertise your sites material, regardless of what it may be.


Your first statement is subjective to your personal experiences based on interactions on the internet and 13 year olds you know in your life, you can't just generalise all 13 year olds like that.

Mature content filter didn't apply to that advertisement because I have mine turned on and I've still watched it 4 times.
11650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/24/15 , edited 7/25/15

SweetPerplexity wrote:


dotsforlife wrote:

13 year olds are looking up porn these days. I think they'll be ok with 2d/3d ecchi adverts...

I'm not sure if the mature content filter applies to ads or not, but either way, it's not a big deal really. It's common practice to advertise your sites material, regardless of what it may be.


Your first statement is subjective to your personal experiences based on interactions on the internet and 13 year olds you know in your life, you can't just generalise all 13 year olds like that.

Mature content filter didn't apply to that advertisement because I have mine turned on and I've still watched it 4 times.


Not all 13 year olds obviously. I have no personal experience I'm basing that statement off of. It's just known that kids these days are exploring this sort of thing at a much younger age. That's just a fact you're more than welcome to look up.

Good to know on the ads part. I didn't think it would apply to that. Still, this is pretty harmless. Keep in mind anime ratings generally go by Japans version of things and theirs are rather... different compared to say, the US.
1268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/24/15 , edited 1/2/16

tridragon1 wrote:



Monster Musume is actually viewable when you turn on the maturity filter so technically it is pg 13



dotsforlife wrote:


SweetPerplexity wrote:


dotsforlife wrote:

13 year olds are looking up porn these days. I think they'll be ok with 2d/3d ecchi adverts...

I'm not sure if the mature content filter applies to ads or not, but either way, it's not a big deal really. It's common practice to advertise your sites material, regardless of what it may be.


Your first statement is subjective to your personal experiences based on interactions on the internet and 13 year olds you know in your life, you can't just generalise all 13 year olds like that.

Mature content filter didn't apply to that advertisement because I have mine turned on and I've still watched it 4 times.


Not all 13 year olds obviously. I have no personal experience I'm basing that statement off of. It's just known that kids these days are exploring this sort of thing at a much younger age. That's just a fact you're more than welcome to look up.

Good to know on the ads part. I didn't think it would apply to that. Still, this is pretty harmless. Keep in mind anime ratings generally go by Japans version of things and theirs are rather... different compared to say, the US.


Even if this 'anime' is somehow PG 13, is it really right for 13 year olds to be seeing that advertisement? I'm not trying to prosecute Crunchyroll here, I'm just trying to determine the ethics of it. Age restrictions exist for a reason.
11650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/24/15 , edited 7/25/15

SweetPerplexity
Even if this 'anime' is somehow PG 13, is it really right for 13 year olds to be seeing that advertisement? I'm not trying to prosecute Crunchyroll here, I'm just trying to determine the ethics of it. Age restrictions exist for a reason.


Well if that's what we're going to use here then we're done. If it's PG13 then that pretty much solves the ethics question of yours. If it's not PG13 and something higher, then you might have an argument. Either way, it's just going to boil down to opinions, and mine is that this is perfectly fine.
1528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / The Cosmos
Offline
Posted 7/24/15
There's a group of kids that go to my local skatepark that are like 10-12 and have already had a sex ed course.
8476 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M
Offline
Posted 7/24/15 , edited 1/3/16
Yeah the crunchyroll adverts are pretty innapropriet. I was watching yugioh and an advert for agama de kill or something came on and it was very very violent. I was 13 but considering yugioh is aimed at kids then they shoudn't show adverts like that ;-;.
21470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 7/24/15
MPAA "Movie ratings provide parents with advance information about the content of movies to help them determine what’s appropriate for their children"
It can not rate what is outside the movie, Crunchyroll have all the right to advertise it outside even if the user is 13 years old. While its up to FCC to limit content on TV adds,
In the internet otherwise... only the Network Advertising Initiative which is not mandatory regulate its add.
In summary if people see and add on internet there nothing people can do.

Crunchyroll in the past have been advertising other kind of questionable concept such as Kicktsarter, Banks loans and Ecchi content.
45992 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Jackson, MS
Offline
Posted 7/24/15 , edited 1/2/16
That could backfire though. Not showing the ecchi content could make the child think the show was a normal show. Then they would watch it and see things more questionable than what they would have seen in the advertisement. At least the ads tell them the type of show it is and they can make an informed decision on whether or not to watch it.

Besides, advertising an ecchi series without showing any ecchi would be like advertising an action series without showing an action sequence- pointless. At least, that's my take on it.
8852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 7/24/15 , edited 1/2/16
What's next, people going try and "convince" crunchyroll not to feature these shows at all anymore?

Look, dude, monster musume is A) An awesome super funny anime I love, and B), more importantly, (one of the most) popular show of the season. IT's what people want. People who now watch on illegal streaming sites. If they want to get customers to switch from those sites to here, they can't show some sterile slice of life show with perfectly feminist-correct bla bla values, they have to show this. Because this is what people are willing to pay 6.99 per month for, and that's the point of an advertisement.

If crunchyroll stops showing shows like this, I will stop my membership. Period. A lot of people probably agree with me. Now I know you are only talking about the advertisements, so that wouldn't matter for, but for the huge part of especially younger otaku (20-ish) who like fanservice, it's the difference between getting them as users or not.

I don''t want this site to go broke.

Also, why are people complaining about some fanservice/T&A?? I have never understood this. Whether is prudes, conservatives, or feminists doing (or some god-forbid combination) the complaining, it's just some t&a and pantsu shots. I like it. My entire social circle, everyone I know, has no problem with this. I wonder which planet those people all come from...

Anyway, the vast vast majority of peeps on the internet are adults, so if you want a crunchyroll-like site, you HAVE to assume that people watching your adverts are 18+ since you have no way of knowing, and you can't afford not to advertise your best selling points because maybe 5% of people who see the advert might see two seconds of something they might or might not be 2 years too young for. (And as someone pointed out, formally are not). Henceforth, I would agree with you if they where showing actual porn or something, but this is fine.

I don't want to be treated like a kid because a few percent of the people on this site. Are. PEriod.
Posted 7/24/15 , edited 8/25/15
Interesting. Since i'm a premium member, I don't see ads unless they're on another site, but still haven't come across any for Monster Girls just yet. Nevertheless, I would advise them to be careful with what they show. I'm not necessarily saying they should remove it, but they need to bear in mind that certain users want to avoid that kind of content.

I wish I could see the ad to form a better opinion on it, but the image link seems to be broken for me.


eragon2890 wrote:

What's next, people going try and "convince" crunchyroll not to feature these shows at all anymore?

Look, dude, monster musume is A) An awesome super funny anime I love, and B), more importantly, (one of the most) popular show of the season. IT's what people want. People who now watch on illegal streaming sites. If they want to get customers to switch from those sites to here, they can't show some sterile slice of life show with perfectly feminist-correct bla bla values, they have to show this. Because this is what people are willing to pay 6.99 per month for, and that's the point of an advertisement.

If crunchyroll stops showing shows like this, I will stop my membership. Period. A lot of people probably agree with me. Now I know you are only talking about the advertisements, so that wouldn't matter for, but for the huge part of especially younger otaku (20-ish) who like fanservice, it's the difference between getting them as users or not.

I don''t want this site to go broke.

Also, why are people complaining about some fanservice/T&A?? I have never understood this. Whether is prudes, conservatives, or feminists doing (or some god-forbid combination) the complaining, it's just some t&a and pantsu shots. I like it. My entire social circle, everyone I know, has no problem with this. I wonder which planet those people all come from...

Anyway, the vast vast majority of peeps on the internet are adults, so if you want a crunchyroll-like site, you HAVE to assume that people watching your adverts are 18+ since you have no way of knowing, and you can't afford not to advertise your best selling points because maybe 5% of people who see the advert might see two seconds of something they might or might not be 2 years too young for. (And as someone pointed out, formally are not). Henceforth, I would agree with you if they where showing actual porn or something, but this is fine.

I don't want to be treated like a kid because a few percent of the people on this site. Are. PEriod.


Don't mean to offend, but this is somewhat.... discourteous.

First of all, no one is complaining that the shows are here. The beauty of the show is that you can choose to watch it or not - advertisements, however, are placed on shows regardless of whether or not you like that sort of content. You can't always "pick" your advertisement.

Second, the show may be popular, and thus they want to advertise it, but that doesn't mean they can't be smart about it. If they make it too raunchy, it will turn people off just as much as it will interest them. Anime already has a somewhat notorious reputation for being raunchy (even though that's just a generalization). Again, they can advertise whatever they want, but that doesn't mean they can't be smart about it.

Third, advertisements often want to appeal to the widest possible audience - not just 18+ audience. I could see your point if CR was only an 18+ site, but it's not. If that was the case, then why would they have kids shows on here at all? It's an all ages site, and I personally think it would be smart to advertise it as such.

Fourth, this doesn't have anything to do with your overall point, but is rather just using myself as a counter-example. I am a 21 year old male and am completely uninterested in shows like Monster Girls and actually go out of my way to avoid them. I pay $7 a month for pretty much all of their other content - not stuff like Monster Girls, and if they transitioned to a primarily "adult" site, as you say, then I would gladly stop paying for their services.

What's considered "adult" is really a matter of taste. Consider shows like GochiUsa, Kinmoza, Non Non Biyori, and GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class - all of which are on CR and all of which are seinen (targeted toward adult males. My demographic, actually). These are the kinds of shows I come to CR for, and would gladly stop supporting it if it was just marketed as "T&A" as you say. But this final point is just a personal counterexample and not something I'm really arguing about. You just made broad generalizations about my demographic and I wanted to let you know that not all of us are like that.
37244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 7/24/15
I suppose it makes sense to be concerned about that. Maybe Crunchy should just focus on making their ads a bit more focused, echii ads for those watching echii being the obvious example.
63591 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 7/24/15

SweetPerplexity wrote:
Even if this 'anime' is somehow PG 13, is it really right for 13 year olds to be seeing that advertisement? I'm not trying to prosecute Crunchyroll here, I'm just trying to determine the ethics of it. Age restrictions exist for a reason.

So who gets to decide then? I just wanna get this straight, once and for all.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.