First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply full metal alchemist or full metal alchemist brotherhood?
4046 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
116 / M
Offline
Posted 7/24/15
I need another anime to watch on netflix and i've heard about the two anime mentioned above. but which one is the one?
Le_Dom 
16897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Montreal
Offline
Posted 7/24/15
My two cents

If you're planning on watching both, start with FMA

If you just wanna watch one, definitely go with Brotherhood.
11691 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 7/24/15
Both. Some people prefer 2003 FMA. Some people prefer Brotherhood. They are both excellent shows though for different reasons. And their stories go in drastically different directions.
42443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 7/24/15
Watch both.
4046 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
116 / M
Offline
Posted 7/24/15
so is brotherhood a different story?
11691 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 7/24/15 , edited 7/24/15

littlexod wrote:

so is brotherhood a different story?


Both stories start in the same place and follow the manga. 2003 FMA has a few original standalone episodes in the very beginning, but outside of that they start the same. It's around episode 20-25 in 2003 FMA and episode 15 in Brotherhood where the major story elements change. Brotherhood follows the manga straight to the end while 2003 FMA branches off into original territory as when that show was still airing the manga was still ongoing.
xxJing 
37193 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 7/24/15

littlexod wrote:

so is brotherhood a different story?


Full Metal Alchemist was made in 2003. It followed the Full Metal Alchemist manga up to a point, and then became it's own anime original story.

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood was from 2009, and the first 10 or so episodes of it are an abridged version of the first 20 or so episodes of Full Metal Alchemist, and then the rest is the story that was written in the manga where FMA became an original story instead.

That said neither is really worse than the other.

The first one, FMA, even though it's largely an anime original story, actually follows the theme of 'equal exchange' quite closely and you have a dark philosophical show with ups and downs that ends on a neutral bitter sweet note.

The second one, FMA:B, is a bit more action oriented and while it does have dark moments they aren't quite as dark as in FMA. Also it has a happier ending than FMA does.

23206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Long Island
Offline
Posted 7/24/15
Definitely watch both, their different enough and both are great in their own right. But, definitely watch FMA before Brotherhood.
34924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 7/24/15
Brotherhood is better, but both are good.
4046 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
116 / M
Offline
Posted 7/24/15
ok one more question. what are the different story things in the original FMA? is it like alternate realities or something?
One Punch Mod
85916 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 7/24/15

Le_Dom wrote:

My two cents

If you're planning on watching both, start with FMA

If you just wanna watch one, definitely go with Brotherhood.


That's pretty much what I've heard from several people.


littlexod wrote:

I need another anime to watch on netflix and i've heard about the two anime mentioned above. but which one is the one?


FYI, I've moved this to the Advice, Info, Recommendations forum.

11691 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 7/24/15 , edited 7/24/15

littlexod wrote:

ok one more question. what are the different story things in the original FMA? is it like alternate realities or something?


One of the biggest changes, without spoiling too much, is how Homunculi are created in the shows. Both series have different answers for that question and it ends up leading to a very different relationship between the characters and the Homunculi. This also leads to new characters that were made up specifically for the show to further follow through on its idea of how Homunculi are made. There are others too such as the end villain being a different person and Ed and Al's father having a different backstory. Don't want to go too far into these things though and spoil the show.

The 2003 FMA has a much greater focus on Edward and Alphonse and their relationship. Brotherhood kinda pulls back a little and takes a bigger look at the whole of the entire country the story takes place in and isn't quite as focused on just those 2 characters' stories.
2190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / California, USA
Offline
Posted 7/24/15

littlexod wrote:

I need another anime to watch on netflix and i've heard about the two anime mentioned above. but which one is the one?


I think most people are pointing you to watch the non brotherhood version first because... well, I think most would agree (if not openly) Brotherhood version is much better. I know people will argue they are both great, but if push comes to shove most will pick Brotherhood version. So, people suggest watching non brotherhood first - that is if you are really going to watch both. That way, you enjoy the 2003 version, then you get to really enjoy the Brotherhood version.

Its only my opinion, but I don't think I would go back to watching the 2003 non brotherhood version, and I own both. Once you are spoiled with the Brotherhood version, you want to stick with that one.

Regardless of your choice, you will enjoy the series, it is well made, well animated, great voice acting, just an overall enjoyable watch.
11691 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 7/24/15

ntrebooter wrote:
I think most people are pointing you to watch the non brotherhood version first because... well, I think most would agree (if not openly) Brotherhood version is much better.


Not really the reason I'd give for watching 2003 FMA first. I don't know which I would consider better only cause it's been so long since I've seen the original, but I don't consider one vastly better than the other. I always say 2003 FMA better because then you spend fewer episodes waiting for something new to happen. If you watch Brotherhood first and then go onto 2003 FMA you have to wait 20-25 episodes for the actual new material to begin, excluding the one-offs that aren't relevant beyond that episode. If you watch Brotherhood second then it's only about 14-15 episodes until you start seeing new stuff.
2190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / California, USA
Offline
Posted 7/24/15 , edited 7/24/15

Barbobot wrote:


ntrebooter wrote:
I think most people are pointing you to watch the non brotherhood version first because... well, I think most would agree (if not openly) Brotherhood version is much better.


Not really the reason I'd give for watching 2003 FMA first. I don't know which I would consider better only cause it's been so long since I've seen the original, but I don't consider one vastly better than the other. I always say 2003 FMA better because then you spend fewer episodes waiting for something new to happen. If you watch Brotherhood first and then go onto 2003 FMA you have to wait 20-25 episodes for the actual new material to begin, excluding the one-offs that aren't relevant beyond that episode. If you watch Brotherhood second then it's only about 14-15 episodes until you start seeing new stuff.


A fair and valid point. I guess its a good thing I didn't say "ALL would agree," instead of 'most,' but then again, now I am just opening myself up to more people people saying they liked FMA 2003 version better for reason A, B, and C. So, I will amend my earlier statement: "... I personally think Brotherhood version is much better."

First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.