First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Types of Arguments to Avoid in a Debate
Posted 7/26/15
"X is always going to happen anyway, so we should deal with the aftermath rather than trying to prevent it"

Will never use this type of argument. Just seems too defeatist to me. Plus it kind of shrugs off the argument at hand and transitions it to something else. Practicality doesn't mean that we can't talk about ideals, nor does it mean that we shouldn't try to strive for ideals or at least try to incorporate them into practical responses.

Just seems like a cop out response to me personally.
7467 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/26/15
Stay away from religion stuff >.> people get butt-hurt if you insult them about it ._. and the arguments start....
24259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Online
Posted 7/26/15

ShawnZ11 wrote:

Stay away from religion stuff >.> people get butt-hurt if you insult them about it ._. and the arguments start....


You don't say... :/
27244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 7/26/15 , edited 7/26/15
"X is less of a problem than Y. Therefore, X is not a problem."

"If A happens, then B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J will all happen. It will open the floodgates!"

"You're stupid and you're wrong because..." (Nobody listens to anything after something starts off like this)

"Your trend data is a lie. I know a guy/gal and they don't have a part in this trend. Everyone is different."

"Correlation is not causation. Therefore, this data is all meaningless and none of it has any worth."

"It is natural, so it is good. It is not natural, so it is bad."

"This is never/always so-and-so."
32290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / St.Louis - USA
Online
Posted 7/26/15
When they bring your momma into the argument.
8258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / SW Ontario, Canada
Offline
Posted 7/26/15

Dabossman26 wrote:

2) the "it's popular so it's good" (not everything that's popular is good)


I think it's also important to call out the opposite of this as well. Far too many people fall into the trap of saying that something that's popular is automatically bad (or that something that's unpopular is automatically better). It's sort of a hipster fallacy. Basically, there really isn't any correlation between how popular something is (or isn't) and how good it is (or isn't).
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/26/15
It's less about the type of argument for me and more about the type of idiot arguing it.
Posted 7/26/15
None.

Im open to all types of arguments & debates.
I feel like I could possibly learn from them. And I love learning
4315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Arizona
Offline
Posted 7/26/15
The biggest problem I run into is when people think the burden of proof lies on the person who believes something DOESN'T exists and not the other way around.
33361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Socal
Offline
Posted 7/26/15 , edited 7/26/15

jackrabbit92 wrote:

What's real and what isn't real like someone believes in UFOs.


UFO are totally real
19120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/26/15

FlyinDumpling wrote:

Probably the exaggerated kind that no one with a right mind would actually do.

"I have the right to beat the shit out of you if you touch me. Next time a kid shoots a water gun at me I'm gonna break their fucking leg"

yup


Sounds like YouTube comments to me
17181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 7/26/15

bobland wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

Probably the exaggerated kind that no one with a right mind would actually do.

"I have the right to beat the shit out of you if you touch me. Next time a kid shoots a water gun at me I'm gonna break their fucking leg"

yup


Sounds like YouTube comments to me
That actually was a youtube comment
6628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 7/26/15
Pretty much all the fallacies like "Hitler did it therefore it is bad" or "legalizing gay marriage? Next they'll legalize bestiality!".
19120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/26/15 , edited 7/26/15

FlyinDumpling wrote:


bobland wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

Probably the exaggerated kind that no one with a right mind would actually do.

"I have the right to beat the shit out of you if you touch me. Next time a kid shoots a water gun at me I'm gonna break their fucking leg"

yup


Sounds like YouTube comments to me
That actually was a youtube comment


Of course it was

This is usually how they go:


"I don't agree with this video. It sucks." (Person A)

"F**k you" (Person B)

"F**k you too, I hope you go kill yourself." (Person A)

"I hope you and your family go die in a fire." (Person B)


An intelligent debate on YouTube is exceedingly rare. They usually devolve into namecalling within two to three replies.
Posted 7/26/15
Anything where the majority of participants are defending something stupid or immoral like child molesters and act like some pseudomedical studies and links no one gives a shit about like medical studies are the epic paragon of morality , and when they all have each other bn their buddies list . The thread was going right until the mod scared off anyone with a moral compass and every douchebag on crunchyroll came out of the woodwork to call me stupid for not taking an interest in their studies and dont accept it as proof its moral or ok. That dickhead with Goku's head called me a child molester because I asked the question. Then ppl calling for my ban and accusing me of being anzn and peripheralvisionay. So, ...after nuking from disgust, I lost faith im CR handling anything moral or se rious and just leve it to anzn or someone that likes this sort of thing. All i care for on here now are forum games and watchin anime.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.