First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Types of Arguments to Avoid in a Debate
Posted 7/26/15 , edited 7/26/15

pandrasb wrote:

UFO are totally real


I agree. It's either arrogant or naive to believe we're the only intelligent beings in the universe.

Anyway, OT:

I, personally, dislike debates. People (myself included, of course) become competitively stubborn. The goal shifts from having a discussion / an exchange of information to a contest of who can make their "opponents" quit out of frustration. It's quite evident if you look at the more controversial threads here that people debate to win.

These two here are the ones I usually walk away from:

"My point is correct and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong."
"You can't change my mind, but I'm sure going to keep trying to change yours."


Bavalt 
22029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/26/15

anzn wrote:

None.

Im open to all types of arguments & debates.
I feel like I could possibly learn from them. And I love learning


This. Any argument is essentially valid, in that it's a mode of thought that at least one person possesses. I reserve the right to disagree with them, but nobody has the right to tell them to think otherwise, and most importantly, a single assertion doesn't render everything a person is saying invalid: there's often something in there to glean. This was touched on briefly in the latest Gatchaman episode: everyone getting along is boring. It's fun to see people disagree, and you can learn a lot from it, whether you're involved directly or not.
27250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 7/26/15 , edited 7/26/15
Although people have the right to express their viewpoints, I don't think this means we should encourage wild blurting or other such nonsense. There isn't much to learn from an "argument" in which someone thinks you're wrong in your interpretation of a scientific theory simply because you're another race or of a different gender, for instance. Sort of like how freedom is encouraged and protected but too much freedom can, in fact, be bad. Just because you can and should be able to say something doesn't mean you should.

It is true that someone who has made a few leaps of logic can still be right about certain things, but that doesn't make those leaps themselves any more valid. I guess this means I'm not so open that I'm willing to accept absolutely everything that is being said. Expecting people to do so is highly unrealistic and foolhardy. I usually don't go out of my way to actually prove someone wrong, but mistaking this for actual acceptance is hardly right. I do think there are such things as invalid arguments and stupid questions.
Posted 7/26/15 , edited 7/26/15

DawnofSorrow wrote:

Anything where the majority of participants are defending something stupid or immoral like child molesters and act like some pseudomedical studies and links no one gives a shit about like medical studies are the epic paragon of morality , and when they all have each other bn their buddies list . The thread was going right until the mod scared off anyone with a moral compass and every douchebag on crunchyroll came out of the woodwork to call me stupid for not taking an interest in their studies and dont accept it as proof its moral or ok. That dickhead with Goku's head called me a child molester because I asked the question. Then ppl calling for my ban and accusing me of being anzn and peripheralvisionay. So, ...after nuking from disgust, I lost faith im CR handling anything moral or se rious and just leve it to anzn or someone that likes this sort of thing. All i care for on here now are forum games and watchin anime.

Wait people thought you were me???
When???

Honestly I'd totally just recommended to stay out of internet arguments, especially if it was on opinions on a particular anime or video game.
Those kind from what u see will always end up having insults thrown back and fourth & never going anywhere.
Besides that, it might be ok.
Posted 7/26/15 , edited 7/26/15

anzn wrote:


DawnofSorrow wrote:

Anything where the majority of participants are defending something stupid or immoral like child molesters and act like some pseudomedical studies and links no one gives a shit about like medical studies are the epic paragon of morality , and when they all have each other bn their buddies list . The thread was going right until the mod scared off anyone with a moral compass and every douchebag on crunchyroll came out of the woodwork to call me stupid for not taking an interest in their studies and dont accept it as proof its moral or ok. That dickhead with Goku's head called me a child molester because I asked the question. Then ppl calling for my ban and accusing me of being anzn and peripheralvisionay. So, ...after nuking from disgust, I lost faith im CR handling anything moral or se rious and just leve it to anzn or someone that likes this sort of thing. All i care for on here now are forum games and watchin anime.

Wait people thought you were me???
When???


Someone asked if I might be in that pedophilia thread in the closed section (probably due to your being banned athe time), just them being stupid nothing to worry about.;)
Posted 7/26/15 , edited 7/26/15

Bavalt wrote:


anzn wrote:

None.

Im open to all types of arguments & debates.
I feel like I could possibly learn from them. And I love learning


This. Any argument is essentially valid, in that it's a mode of thought that at least one person possesses. I reserve the right to disagree with them, but nobody has the right to tell them to think otherwise, and most importantly, a single assertion doesn't render everything a person is saying invalid: there's often something in there to glean. This was touched on briefly in the latest Gatchaman episode: everyone getting along is boring. It's fun to see people disagree, and you can learn a lot from it, whether you're involved directly or not.

Yeah pretty much.
I'd find it boring if like, everyone agreed with me on everything.
But it seems in most cases, 90% of people disagree on most things I say. Still fun though,and only irritating if people decided to try to argue with me on something I already established so I'd have to repeat myself.
14947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Massachusetts
Offline
Posted 7/26/15

jackrabbit92 wrote:


vanguard1234523 wrote:


jackrabbit92 wrote:

What's real and what isn't real like someone believes in UFOs.


well strictly speaking UFOs are very real. Unidentified Flying Objects, they can be just about anything it doesn't have to be alien spacecraft. belief that they are alien spacecraft on the other hand...


I was trying to pick out an example real quick lmao I guess another example is werewolves


Oh I know just being a nitpicky jerk. no worries.
Posted 7/26/15 , edited 7/26/15

DawnofSorrow wrote:


anzn wrote:


DawnofSorrow wrote:

Anything where the majority of participants are defending something stupid or immoral like child molesters and act like some pseudomedical studies and links no one gives a shit about like medical studies are the epic paragon of morality , and when they all have each other bn their buddies list . The thread was going right until the mod scared off anyone with a moral compass and every douchebag on crunchyroll came out of the woodwork to call me stupid for not taking an interest in their studies and dont accept it as proof its moral or ok. That dickhead with Goku's head called me a child molester because I asked the question. Then ppl calling for my ban and accusing me of being anzn and peripheralvisionay. So, ...after nuking from disgust, I lost faith im CR handling anything moral or se rious and just leve it to anzn or someone that likes this sort of thing. All i care for on here now are forum games and watchin anime.

Wait people thought you were me???
When???


Someone asked if I might be in that pedophilia thread in the closed section, just them being stupid nothing to worry about.;)

Ohh that one?
Since I was banned, I couldn't even say anything and when I got back it was gone. lol
I don't think I saw that though.

Yeah that is stupid. I have noooo idea why they would think that besides us probably being the same age.
17189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 7/26/15

bobland wrote:


"I don't agree with this video. It sucks." (Person A)

"F**k you" (Person B)

"F**k you too, I hope you go kill yourself." (Person A)

"I hope you and your family go die in a fire." (Person B)


An intelligent debate on YouTube is exceedingly rare. They usually devolve into namecalling within two to three replies.
I don't really differentiate youtube comments with forum comments unless they are posted somewhere on 4chan
23206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Long Island
Offline
Posted 7/26/15 , edited 7/26/15
I try my best to avoid debates and discussions on the internet altogether. Most of them eventually devolve into name calling and personal attacks, I've found very few people who can hold an intelligent and respectful discussion. For example, when I post on certain topics on CR I try to make my comments as non confrontational as possible to avoid such things.
Sogno- 
45728 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/26/15 , edited 7/27/15
the ones that lack any common sense

which is pretty much all of them
6655 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / The moon
Offline
Posted 7/27/15 , edited 7/27/15

vanguard1234523 wrote:


jackrabbit92 wrote:


vanguard1234523 wrote:


jackrabbit92 wrote:

What's real and what isn't real like someone believes in UFOs.


well strictly speaking UFOs are very real. Unidentified Flying Objects, they can be just about anything it doesn't have to be alien spacecraft. belief that they are alien spacecraft on the other hand...


I was trying to pick out an example real quick lmao I guess another example is werewolves


Oh I know just being a nitpicky jerk. no worries.


no you're cool lmao You're right about what UFO stands for and that it can be any aircraft that a government may not able to identify.
37158 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/27/15 , edited 7/27/15
I won't argue religion at all. I don't argue conspiracy theories either. If it can't be backed up by facts and science I am not interested in debating it.

I will leave comments about politics but won't typically argue the point.

If at any time I get the sense that the person I'm talking to won't be swayed or is only interested in spreading their own opinion with no regard for others, I stop responding. I immediately stop responding if I'm insulted.

Most disagreements come down to differing definitions of things. If someone disagrees with me, my first instinct is to clarify my comments to make sure we are on the same page. Otherwise you just end up talking past each other. Most times if both parties take the time to consider the other person's point of view, you can end up in some form of agreement.
Posted 7/27/15
Religion and Politics
Posted 7/27/15
why do people even bother debating in the first place? they are literally the biggest waste of time.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.