First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply So The New AP US History Standards...
51569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 7/31/15
One step closer to becoming like the brainwashed North Koreans. Pretty soon we'll be calling Obama, Clinton, or Bush "Dear Leader."
1606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Earth
Offline
Posted 7/31/15
This thread is about to be taken over by delusional anarchists. I can feel it.
16598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / NC
Offline
Posted 7/31/15

PhantomGundam wrote:

One step closer to becoming like the brainwashed North Koreans. Pretty soon we'll be calling Obama, Clinton, or Bush "Dear Leader."


Have you heard how so many people worship the ground Obama walks on? You'd think he was the second coming of Christ to hear how the media goes on about our supreme overlord...
16598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / NC
Offline
Posted 7/31/15

LONGNAMEYOUWONTMISS wrote:

This thread is about to be taken over by delusional anarchists. I can feel it.


Anarcho-capitalism makes loads of sense up until you realise that it's basically human nature for the sheeple to flock to a ruler... Be it a king, elected official, religious figure, or a big ass corporation...
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/31/15 , edited 7/31/15

billytheboy wrote:


PhantomGundam wrote:

One step closer to becoming like the brainwashed North Koreans. Pretty soon we'll be calling Obama, Clinton, or Bush "Dear Leader."


Have you heard how so many people worship the ground Obama walks on? You'd think he was the second coming of Christ to hear how the media goes on about our supreme overlord...


Have you heard how so many people demonize President Obama?You think he was the antichrist to hear how some media go on about the top position in the executive which they covet.What does this have to do with the original topic?
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/31/15

LONGNAMEYOUWONTMISS wrote:

This thread is about to be taken over by delusional anarchists. I can feel it.


Maybe if you walk away from the mirror and tune in Faux news it will go away.
17380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 7/31/15

Dariamus wrote:

I'm a great fan of history, but I try to avoid the revised versions.


You have never read an "unrevised" version of history.
Every version of history is slanted one way or another.
Which isn't saying I don't like history, but they're just stories which happened as remembered by somebody, or retold by a person who read a recorded version of something remembered or interpreted by someone. Even if you were there, your version is slanted, it's practically impossible to get an unrevised version without some sort of automated recording device.
Posted 7/31/15
I hate this country and it's push for patriotism. I place no value in what man has built up due to religious reasons, I especially have no value for something that was built up on the bodies of millions who had to suffer at the hands of our founders. History should be taught without bias and all the information (good and bad) should be showcased to everyone so that they may know the truth. Who cares if it makes the country look bad?

As someone else already commented, erasing history and failing to take form it means we're doomed to repeat it.
27705 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / TX
Offline
Posted 7/31/15
I really don't have a hard time believing that liberals were leaving out the good things America has done. They rather have people apologizing for the past which they had no control over instead of moving forward.
The best way to see what was in the course would be make some test exams send them out to the parents and wait for the results. See if there a general consensus that the lessons are biased or not. Of course that would require parents being interested in what the schools are teaching in the first place and knowing about the subject in question. Maybe have a paragraph on different points in history then have questions based on that paragraph so anyone that could read would be able to answer the questions.

I'm fine with discussing what America did wrong but do not leave the good that came from America.
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/31/15 , edited 7/31/15

Nobodyofimportance wrote:
You have never read an "unrevised" version of history.


I've had access to primary and secondary source material in the past, while attending college.
I don't today.

I helped a friend research the diaries and personal correspondence of a few wives of high level conferderate officers, spanning time frames both before and after the Civil War. Reading the actual thoughts and opinions of people directly involved in an event can be quite enlightening.

17380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 7/31/15

Charizam wrote:

I hate this country and it's push for patriotism. I place no value in what man has built up due to religious reasons, I especially have no value for something that was built up on the bodies of millions who had to suffer at the hands of our founders. History should be taught without bias and all the information (good and bad) should be showcased to everyone so that they may know the truth. Who cares if it makes the country look bad?

As someone else already commented, erasing history and failing to take form it means we're doomed to repeat it.


Bias. An Anti-american bias at that. A truly disinterested person wouldn't care. You want a more negative version of U.S. history. That is a bias against a positive version of U.S. history.
17380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 7/31/15 , edited 7/31/15

Dariamus wrote:


Nobodyofimportance wrote:
You have never read an "unrevised" version of history.


I've had access to original source material in the past, while attending college.
I don't today.



Still a slanted version. People just happen to be unreliable sources of objective information. And there's a bias introduced by your interests as well. You'll unconsciously censor material you aren't interested in or don't want to read. Everybody does. The end result is that you get a version you're interested in. Even if you strive to be unbiased, and actively search out opposing views, the underlying source material will probably contain a bias one way or another, or there's the possibility that you've missed something important from somewhere you don't expect.

I don't think you can do much better than source material, especially video and audio recordings, and we should strive for impartiality, but there's always something that's missing. Dealings behind closed doors, the opinions of people who didn't or couldn't write, the deliberate destruction of or discouragement of writing material that opposed the viewpoint of the political powers of the time. There's just too much history, too much of people being people, to get something that isn't biased in one way or another.
I think U.S. history needs more of Alexander Hamilton. He's a boss
14787 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/31/15 , edited 7/31/15
I can't find it anywhere on YouTube, but I remember the South Park creators (or was it in an episode?--I don't know, I don't watch it) creating an animated short, "A Japanese History of the US"--Where a Japanese exchange college student explains what he knows of US history, apparently informed only from progressive 90's anti-American revisionism:
"And then Columbus came over and killed all the Indians, and then they all died of disease."
(Michael Moore, predictably, wanted to use it for his usual anti-white-people preaching in "Bowling for Columbine", which explains why Matt Stone shows up in the movie, and then goes and does his own plagiarized version of Stone & Parker's short in the movie instead, because he didn't know it was supposed to be a parody.)

Frankly, I'd have thought Franklin and Jefferson would have been in the new "revised" version, as if you ask most people on the street what contributions they made to history, you'd likely hear "Well, Franklin was a pervert and Jefferson was banging his slave."
Displaying your hipness enough to only know progressive revisionism is not being informed--Quick, name three things the JFK administration accomplished, without using the words "Dallas" or "Marilyn".

And as for the "Obey" t-shirt, either that's that new hip-hop clothes company, or else John Carpenter's not getting any royalties for everyone ripping off "They Live".
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/31/15 , edited 7/31/15

Nobodyofimportance wrote:
Still a slanted version.


Do you understand what is meant when a historian says he is referencing primary source material?

When you want to understand Why a historical person took certain actions, primary sources are the defining material. It is the subject explaining their reasons in their own words. If those actions are due to bias or misinformation, that is still a historically significant reason behind the individuals actions.

49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/31/15 , edited 7/31/15

Ejanss wrote:

I can't find it anywhere on YouTube, but I remember the South Park creators (or was it in an episode?--I don't know, I don't watch it) creating an animated short, "A Japanese History of the US"--Where a Japanese exchange college student explains what he knows of US history, apparently informed only from progressive 90's anti-American revisionism:
"And then Columbus came over and killed all the Indians, and then they all died of disease."
(Michael Moore, predictably, wanted to use it for his usual anti-white-people preaching in "Bowling for Columbine", which explains why Matt Stone shows up in the movie, and then goes and does his own plagiarized version of Stone & Parker's short in the movie instead, because he didn't know it was supposed to be a parody.)

Frankly, I'd have thought Franklin and Jefferson would have been in the new "revised" version, as if you ask most people on the street what contributions they made to history, you'd likely hear "Well, Franklin was a pervert and Jefferson was banging his slave."
Displaying your hipness enough to only know progressive revisionism is not being informed--Quick, name three things the JFK administration accomplished, without using the words "Dallas" or "Marilyn".

And as for the "Obey" t-shirt, either that's that new hip-hop clothes company, or else John Carpenter's not getting any royalties for everyone ripping off "They Live".


Bay of Pigs,Cuban missile crisis,16000 "advisors" to Vietnam.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.