First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Taking offense to humor. Stupid or right?
23206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Long Island
Offline
Posted 7/31/15
I appreciate a good joke, and I don't mind if they're slightly offensive. But there's some "jokes" I've heard that are just offensive and not funny at all.

For example, I saw this "joke" on reddit yesterday and I kid you not it was on the front page. Maybe I'm weird but I don't find it funny at all, the real joke is how it got upvoted so many times.

As I said, I don't mind slightly offensive jokes, but it's ones like these that rely on racial stereotypes and have no comedic value that I don't like. I've been in situations where "jokes" like this are told and I'm looked at weird because I'm the only one not laughing. If not laughing at things like this is wrong, I don't want to be right.
17181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 7/31/15

deer wrote:

free speech means the government can't legally enforce censorship on you. it doesn't mean people can't tell you to shut the fuck up
lol oh my gosh my gut, this is so logical it hurts hahahahaha

Like a bully calling their classmates names and the victims tell them to shut up, the bullies respond with "thats censorship!"

37144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/31/15 , edited 7/31/15

kinga750 wrote:
It's fine to take offense at something. It's not fine to call for censorship because you are offended.


This was my original post. I suggested that it is not OK to call for censorship just because you are offended. If you don't dispute that, why did you bother responding to my post?

You seem antagonistic so I'll leave you alone. Try to have a good day.

Posted 7/31/15

ChinaCat89 wrote:

I appreciate a good joke, and I don't mind if they're slightly offensive. But there's some "jokes" I've heard that are just offensive and not funny at all.



Mine was on Reddit too. I wont say which
8256 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / SW Ontario, Canada
Offline
Posted 7/31/15

neugenx wrote:

In many cases humor is just masked bigotry or prejudice. A person won't make a joke they either don't believe in or find truth in. Gay jokes, ugly jokes, fat jokes, mentally handicapped jokes, Jewish jokes, Polish jokes...masked racism/sexism is all it is. It's just like those people that insult you and right before getting a punch in the face say "only kidding!". Insult comedy is one of the lowest forms of comedy out there (right behind toilet humor), there are plenty of funny comedians and comediennes out there who don't rely on that kind of comedy to make a living.


This is pretty much my stance as well. You have every right to make whatever jokes you want to make, but just because you say it's a joke (whether it be honestly stated or stated to mask some other motive) doesn't mean someone else is wrong to be offended. You don't get to decide how someone else feels about something you say or do regardless of your intention. Know your audience and have some respect/empathy for those around you.

Sogno- 
45684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 7/31/15
hm well as someone who was at one point diagnosed with anorexia i may have taken offense to it, but i wouldn't necessarily think it is "wrong" or hate anybody for being offensive. cuz well... i get over it. seriously, just get over it.

and for another thing, i'm always offending somebody and i dont really care. and i ain't the only one. it's not right or wrong sometimes stupid sure but whatever just don't kill people ok.

i hate political correctness
Posted 7/31/15
go tell that to filthy frank
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 7/31/15

CKD-Anime wrote:

Cosplaying as Hitler will get mixed feedback.




I dunno, if you go all the way it can be pretty funny.

39015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Tralfamadore
Offline
Posted 7/31/15
Responding to offensive material is a question of one's personal boundaries, will you tolerate racist jokes, jokes about gender?

This is only universally tolerated when it comes from women, those with tourettes syndrome and the French.
6655 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / The moon
Offline
Posted 7/31/15

LONGNAMEYOUWONTMISS wrote:

Political Correctness. How wonderful it is.


It's soooo wonderful. *sarcasm*
1344 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 7/31/15
What I don't get is why people get up in arms when other people are offended by their jokes. If that happens, just apologize and move on. No need to start a war with someone just because they have different values.
6655 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / The moon
Offline
Posted 7/31/15

VZ68 wrote:


CKD-Anime wrote:

Cosplaying as Hitler will get mixed feedback.




I dunno, if you go all the way it can be pretty funny.



10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 7/31/15

jackrabbit92 wrote:


VZ68 wrote:


CKD-Anime wrote:

Cosplaying as Hitler will get mixed feedback.




I dunno, if you go all the way it can be pretty funny.





Oh come on, it's funny!
6655 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / The moon
Offline
Posted 7/31/15

VZ68 wrote:


jackrabbit92 wrote:


VZ68 wrote:


CKD-Anime wrote:

Cosplaying as Hitler will get mixed feedback.




I dunno, if you go all the way it can be pretty funny.





Oh come on, it's funny!


I was speechless actually. XD Never have I seen that before. lol
1606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Earth
Offline
Posted 7/31/15

ChinaCat89 wrote:

I appreciate a good joke, and I don't mind if they're slightly offensive. But there's some "jokes" I've heard that are just offensive and not funny at all.

For example, I saw this "joke" on reddit yesterday and I kid you not it was on the front page. Maybe I'm weird but I don't find it funny at all, the real joke is how it got upvoted so many times.

As I said, I don't mind slightly offensive jokes, but it's ones like these that rely on racial stereotypes and have no comedic value that I don't like. I've been in situations where "jokes" like this are told and I'm looked at weird because I'm the only one not laughing. If not laughing at things like this is wrong, I don't want to be right.


That joke was hilarious.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.