Created by MysticGon
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Views on abortion?
2201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/5/15
anti-life
12648 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 8/5/15 , edited 8/5/15
I'm not religious so i think abortion is necessary especially when the mother is I'll, poor, young or alone.
17658 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Croatia
Offline
Posted 8/5/15 , edited 8/5/15
Pro-choice. I do not consider abortion to be on par with murder. Those are two different things.
Posted 8/5/15
Pro-life, so they have a terrible time raising them.
22667 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/5/15 , edited 8/5/15

Irishsushi wrote:

There isn't one easy answer. People shouldn't willy nilly have kids and get abortions because that is wrong. Whether or not the fetus is developed, it will at one point turn into a living being so you are denying life by having an abortion. What causes problems is when a child is going to be born sick/deformed the mother will die during pregnancy or the child will not be given the life it deserves. If you have a problem with abortion maybe you should adopt some kids whose parents couldn't care for them.
People have a tendency to "want" something a certain way as long as it doesn't impact their life. People don't take responsibility or show any form of empathy for others that is why we have these problems and why things like planned parenthood and Public assistance exist. We are so shitty as a species we have to be forced to help each other which causes a whole another slew of problems.
If we all good just get along and help one another these things wouldn't be a problem.


There's a lot of issues with adoptive services, specifically how expensive it can be and the amount of paperwork and waiting it involves. Some have to wait years. I was really happy on the gay marriage ruling for more than one reason, and we need to keep knocking down the shit load of barriers that the process includes. There's a lot of gofundme's just to pull together the money adopting can take. I've funded a few here and there (even some gay couples), I don't really have a steady job yet enough to throw wads of money and I have certain idiot I need to take care of and fuss about right now.

I'm pro life because I'm against half assing things. I respect the whole pro choice opinion and all, but I honestly feel it's a completely pessimistic view often where human life is 'better off dead than living because we can't support it'. Well shit, I'd rather we try to. Not only that, but also support women going through pregnancy that need help. Pro life shouldn't just be about 'have that baby idc about the rest!' as some have made it out to be. There's plenty of families looking to adopt, and who knows, maybe I'll end up adopting a couple at some point in my life instead of just funding it. Hard to say at this time, it's not a 'willy nilly' decision either and depends on circumstance.

I also believe that having sex, contraceptives or not, is accepting the responsibility of an unwanted pregnancy. It grinds my gears when people treat it as 'oh it's like <1%, I'll get an abortion if that happens'. A lack of responsibility is how I read that. It's different in rape cases, in cases where the Mother's health is at risk, or other extreme circumstances. I'm of the opinion that human life should be supported as much as we are able to do so.

There's two sides to this, and it's not all about religion or 'gross you must hate women because you give no choice! It's not fair because men don't have deal with it'. Just because they don't have a womb, in my humble opinion, doesn't mean you're excused from acknowledging yours and it's responsibilities.
24279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 8/5/15


People do like use this subject as a proxy battle for other issues.
22667 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/5/15 , edited 8/5/15

MysticGon wrote:



People do like use this subject as a proxy battle for other issues.


Probably a huge misconception about the pro life stance is it 'being just about birth and not the before and after components of it'. It certainly can be. Another misconception of the pro life stance is it just being about the 'definition of murder' or the debacle of 'personhood' and 'being'. This is true for some pro life position holders. However, "How can you be pro life if you allow exceptions?" is the common question. There are factors on this position, and especially this issue in particular, that shape which stance we end up. There are different ways to be pro life and different ways to be pro choice even (Not every pro choicer is saying 'go have sex and get abortions as contraception!' Some do, but certainly not most.), and it's good for people to understand different facets.

I understand the position of the pro choice and their common arguments, but there is a significant misunderstanding, or willingness to understand the position of pro life. I don't blame them considering some of the negative media attention on a certain type of pro lifers though (the kind that stand outside of abortion clinics or use fake fetus images lol).
4315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Arizona
Offline
Posted 8/5/15 , edited 8/5/15

PrinceJudar wrote:


I understand your point, but what if the kid is going to be born addicted to crack and or with down syndrome? Is it our right to say that that child HAS to live through that? Its a extremely difficult choice and one I hope to never have to make.I want to trust people to be good and to do the right thing, but that is just being naive and its terrible its that way. Honestly we need to deal with it before it gets to pregnancy. Maybe better education on contraceptives and better access to them for under privileged communities.
22667 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/5/15 , edited 8/5/15

Irishsushi wrote:

I understand your point, but what if the kid is going to be born addicted to crack and or with down syndrome? Is it our right to say that that child HAS to live through that? Its a extremely difficult choice and one I hope to never have to make. want to trust people to be good and to do the right thing, but that is just being naive and its terrible its that way. Honestly we need to deal with it before it gets to pregnancy. Maybe better education on contraceptives and better access to them for under privileged communities.


Maybe he should have a choice of doing that? Disabilities do not ever mean the inability to have a happy life. People just don't want to deal with them. I've worked with kids with special needs, they're fucking happy kids. It's just an excuse not to try. People that say that aren't saying it for the kid to be, they're saying it for how unhappy it make them as a parent having to put in all that extra care they don't want to deal with.

Naive maybe, but I'd rather be naive in this instance. I'm all for better education on contraceptives, but that also means people understanding they're not 100%.

4315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Arizona
Offline
Posted 8/5/15

PrinceJudar wrote:


Irishsushi wrote:

I understand your point, but what if the kid is going to be born addicted to crack and or with down syndrome? Is it our right to say that that child HAS to live through that? Its a extremely difficult choice and one I hope to never have to make. want to trust people to be good and to do the right thing, but that is just being naive and its terrible its that way. Honestly we need to deal with it before it gets to pregnancy. Maybe better education on contraceptives and better access to them for under privileged communities.


Maybe he should have a choice of doing that? Disabilities do not ever mean the inability to have a happy life. People just don't want to deal with them. I've worked with kids with special needs, they're fucking happy kids. It's just an excuse not to try.

Naive maybe, but I'd rather be naive in this instance. I'm all for better education on contraceptives, but that also means people understanding they're not 100%.



Your right a disability doesn't mean a kid wont live a happy life, but if a child is going to be born with a terminal/chronic illness you can't tell me that they'll live a fulfilled happy life. There life will be filled with struggle and its no ones right to force someone to deal with that..
I'm open to abortion because if we solve the problems associated with unplanned pregnancy and make people understand the weight that have a child carries then the only time an abortion is needed is in extreme cases. Most of the time though people should not be having one and need to take responsibility for their actions.
Btw I'm not calling you naive I'm saying expecting people to be good is naive. Something is better than nothing i'd say a 10% chance of pregnancy is better than not using anything at all.
22667 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/5/15

Irishsushi wrote:

Your right a disability doesn't mean a kid wont live a happy life, but if a child is going to be born with a terminal/chronic illness you can't tell me that they'll live a fulfilled happy life. There life will be filled with struggle and its no ones right to force someone to deal with that..
I'm open to abortion because if we solve the problems associated with unplanned pregnancy and make people understand the weight that have a child carries then the only time an abortion is needed is in extreme cases. Most of the time though people should not be having one and need to take responsibility for their actions.
Btw I'm not calling you naive I'm saying expecting people to be good is naive. Something is better than nothing i'd say a 10% chance of pregnancy is better than not using anything at all.


And you can't tell me they can't lead a happy fulfilling life. There are kids that have only lived a couple years and you know what? They found their own sense of happiness in it sometimes. You'd rather give up before trying to celebrate and give every bit of life. Disability, chronic illness or terminal. It doesn't matter. I've seen happy, joyful kids full of life in the worst fucking situations. We do everything we can for them, as long as we can, and no matter how little time they have. It's not 'nothing'. You just try and make every day of their lives a damn good one. Jesus, have you not seen Talia? She was a beautiful girl and you can't tell me her entire life was miserable. There's plenty of fantastic stories out there, and all it takes is the proper care and love. It's just the parents not willing to invest that in these darn kids. They are certainly not dead when they're terminal, hopeless when they can't do much on their own, or god forbid unhappy due to their circumstance. Some of these kids make a hell of a lot better of their circumstances then most adults could ever dream of doing.

Avoiding abortions is in the best interests of both positions I'd hope. I agree contraceptives are a good thing.

6628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 8/5/15

anzn wrote:

Pro-choice.

I care, since I can actually get pregnant & my choices of wanting an abortion or not should be all up to me.

never understood why people are so sensitive & dread on topics like this & almost anything related to women tbh.


It's not just a womens issue though. Fatherhood is a big deal and potential fathers should at least have somewhat of a say in it, especially if they don't want to be a father, or if conception was made against their will.
22667 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/5/15 , edited 8/5/15

Buckerss wrote:

It's not just a womens issue though. Fatherhood is a big deal and potential fathers should at least have somewhat of a say in it, especially if they don't want to be a father, or if conception was made against their will.


Inb4.

Anyway you're talking about paying child support right? Not having to pay child support and forcing an abortion on a woman are two extremely different things.

Of course in the instance a father does wants to care for the child and the mother want an abortion, yes I certainly agree father's should have much more of a say in that sense. Given, certainly, it's not one of those exceptional cases.

Posted 8/5/15

Buckerss wrote:


anzn wrote:

Pro-choice.

I care, since I can actually get pregnant & my choices of wanting an abortion or not should be all up to me.

never understood why people are so sensitive & dread on topics like this & almost anything related to women tbh.


It's not just a womens issue though. Fatherhood is a big deal and potential fathers should at least have somewhat of a say in it, especially if they don't want to be a father, or if conception was made against their will.

No. No they don't. Like at all.
Its not their body, they're not gonna give birth to the kid either.

Honestly the fact that men feel the need to have a say in women's bodies is the reason why we have anti-abortion laws, single mothers & teen pregnancy.
Mothers can't afford abortions, because its illegal where they live and/or it can't be covered by insurance.

I assure you, women often will abort if they could anyway if the man doesn't want one. Because if they don't, they will leave & the women will have an incredibly hard time taking care of the child.

Literally the whole problem here about this is the fact men want/feel they need a say in things about women & their bodies. Basically women lacking the rights they should already have.
6628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 8/5/15

PrinceJudar wrote:


Buckerss wrote:

It's not just a womens issue though. Fatherhood is a big deal and potential fathers should at least have somewhat of a say in it, especially if they don't want to be a father, or if conception was made against their will.


Inb4.

Anyway you're talking about paying child support right? Not having to pay child support and forcing an abortion on a woman are two extremely different things.

Of course in the instance a father does wants to care for the child and the mother want an abortion, yes I certainly agree father's should have much more of a say in that sense.



Not at all. I'm talking about becoming a father, period. It's a big deal. Even if you leave the person. You now have a child with your genes out there in the world. That's fucking terrifying.
22667 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/5/15 , edited 8/5/15

Buckerss wrote:

Not at all. I'm talking about becoming a father, period. It's a big deal. Even if you leave the person. You now have a child with your genes out there in the world. That's fucking terrifying.


Is that sarcasm? That's really quite petty. It wouldn't be a father in that case, just a biological one. Heck, even just 'sperm donor'. There is no 'becoming a father' in that case. Boo fucking hoo. It's not a big deal at all.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.