First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Why do alot of people hate realistic protagonists in anime
22075 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 8/1/15 , edited 8/1/15
I have seen alot of people hate for example Shinichi from parasyte for being a "Wimp" and a tool but when i look at him all i saw was a realistic teenager.

The other day i was watching an ecchi anime (To loveru) and people were bitching how the character needs to man up just because he can't fight and is a kind person who likes to avoid violence... again that's realistic and is a normal teenager.

People get so bitchy over characters like this but then you get an unrealistic character that is always tough and hits on girls etc and people go OMG THIS CHARACTER IS AWESOME.

'
....I don't get it what's wrong with having a simple everyday guy as a protagonist and why does it piss so many people off ._.
39048 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Tralfamadore
Offline
Posted 8/1/15 , edited 8/1/15
Realistic characters can be very unpleasant to watch as they may remind you of your self, and one's own self loathing.
43729 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 8/1/15
Some people don't know what they want in a character.
649 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 8/1/15
Some days people just want to watch something that doesn't remind them of the real life they live. By having a character with a persona like Shinichi's mindset, well, they may feel that "Oh, this series makes me think way too much about my own life." And thus it turns them off from the character. The problem I see with that train of thought is no one can really connect their life with Shinichi's life in that manner simply because it throws in the huge element of aliens coming from another world to eat people. It also has psychics and more bloodshed then one could ever possibly have in their own life.

Therefore, I don't see how this show is not awesome to them even if they think this way. Shinichi may be a normal high school student but when he has an arm that can chop a regular person in half against his will then I see a problem as to why what I wrote above is a reason to hate him or the series. He's fighting to save the world from aliens even though the alien on his arm doesn't want him to. I haven't seen To Loveru but I do notice that in a lot of series that are eicchi leaning most characters are manly. Basara from Testament of a Devil Sister is an example of that as well.
22075 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 8/1/15
That makes sense thanks well i guess that shows how many people hate themselves or real life.

I just think hating characters cause there not manly or they are realistic is terrible i mean sure manly characters are good but that doesn't mean girly or non-manly characters aren't good also.

With the ecchi one i think from my looking through people are annoyed with general comments like "omg he could have so much sex" so i'm coming to the conclusion there insecure or are the type of people to jump in bed with a stranger.

17484 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 8/1/15
Wow these responses are surprising.

People hate seeing the same archetype used over and over again. Unfortunately, a useless protagonist is a common theme in shoujo and shounen anime. A lot of people get frustrated over them.
4917 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Canada
Offline
Posted 8/1/15
My husband showed me this movie that he really loved about a dysfunctional family pulling together under tough circumstances. I was bored watching it, and I told him that I watch movies to experience something new, not something I already know about. Not to mention if you know too much about the subject matter, you start tearing apart the details because they've portrayed it more nicely or more dramatically so it feels almost like an insult.

I think that's the case here, too. People feel that Shinichi is too passive, and it feels like an insult to average teenagers. Or it's like tenchi22 said, that people see themselves and would rather see something that inspires them to move above their own circumstances.

when I grew up I wanted to be like Honda Tohru from Fruits Basket because no matter how awful life is to her, she still manages to smile and carry on. This is unrealistic, but it's something to aspire to.
11632 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/1/15
Because truth hurts for some people.
22075 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 8/1/15

FlyinDumpling wrote:

Wow these responses are surprising.

People hate seeing the same archetype used over and over again. Unfortunately, a useless protagonist is a common theme in shoujo and shounen anime. A lot of people get frustrated over them.


I don't see why though i like when shounen animes have a sense of realism not everyone can be useful heck half of us all are not useful until we get experience being useful off the bat is unrealistic and horrible imo.

Then again thats why i like Shoujo and shounen animes and characters i feel they are more well developed alot of the time.
22075 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 8/1/15 , edited 8/1/15

Kitahoshi_Hazel wrote:

My husband showed me this movie that he really loved about a dysfunctional family pulling together under tough circumstances. I was bored watching it, and I told him that I watch movies to experience something new, not something I already know about. Not to mention if you know too much about the subject matter, you start tearing apart the details because they've portrayed it more nicely or more dramatically so it feels almost like an insult.

I think that's the case here, too. People feel that Shinichi is too passive, and it feels like an insult to average teenagers. Or it's like tenchi22 said, that people see themselves and would rather see something that inspires them to move above their own circumstances.

when I grew up I wanted to be like Honda Tohru from Fruits Basket because no matter how awful life is to her, she still manages to smile and carry on. This is unrealistic, but it's something to aspire to.



Hmm thats fair enough i still find it strange but i can understand where people are coming form now.
But its fair enough your example of Tohru from Fruits basket is a great example i guess we all need characters to look up to.


But thats why personally i love characters who start out like alot of us do to begin with as useless teenagers and over time they develop into a stronger person.

Thanks for the comments guys it's good to see other peoples views so it helps people understand how others thing and i can see why it would be annoying to some.


Sadly we can't make everyone happy i guess.


Also with Shinichi i guess i found him more normal because as a teenager 13-17 i was a passive person so to me his view of the world made sense to me.
17484 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 8/1/15

Ryulightorb wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

Wow these responses are surprising.

People hate seeing the same archetype used over and over again. Unfortunately, a useless protagonist is a common theme in shoujo and shounen anime. A lot of people get frustrated over them.


I don't see why though i like when shounen animes have a sense of realism not everyone can be useful heck half of us all are not useful until we get experience being useful off the bat is unrealistic and horrible imo.

Then again thats why i like Shoujo and shounen animes and characters i feel they are more well developed alot of the time.
A cliche character can easily create a cliche story. Even if the character is a macho hunk.... and if it doesn't I really don't mind it, but I would still like more variation. I think these protagonist are popular because it's easier to live through the experience of characters that are not created from high standards.
Posted 8/1/15
Well, people just love to bitch... they don't actually hate on the protagonist. If it's hate, then that's just sad of them.
15815 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 8/1/15
I actually prefer the more realistic side of characters. After all the foundation of anime was to imitate real people.
One Punch Mod
88489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 8/1/15 , edited 8/1/15


It looks like there were 3 of these threads. Since this one has the most activity I'm moving it to Anime and closing the others.

28244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 8/1/15 , edited 8/1/15
I have rarely associated an anime character with a real life person. They're almost always so bound up in tropes that it's impossible to be convinced of their realness. Examples like Psycho Pass come to mind as exceptions to this.

I love realistic characters because I can relate to them. I've never heard of someone saying they hated a character they found real. Maybe they just hate them because of the real person they remind them of.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.