First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Why do the People of the USA Blame the President
32288 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / St.Louis - USA
Offline
Posted 8/28/15
Because its easy, that way they don't have to think
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 8/28/15

Everyone blames everyone in this country. Oh 'murica


Because they can

Freedom!!
35033 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/28/15 , edited 8/28/15
There's actually a surprisingly simple reason why this happens. The United States has combined the offices of chief executive (exactly what it says on the tin, the top dog in the executive branch), commander in chief of the armed forces, and head of state (the face of the nation and normally the top diplomat) into a single office in its president. That means three peoples' jobs are combined into one office, and are to be carried out by one person. This makes that one person extremely visible and responsible for managing the optics and mechanics of three critically important jobs simultaneously: managing international diplomacy, managing the conduct of war, and enforcing laws, appointing judges, appointing cabinet members to which executive authority may be delegated, and so on. One guy, girl, or other. One. The buck truly does stop at the President's desk, for good or ill. When things go right, that's who people will thank. When things go wrong, that's who they'll blame. Because that's who they see. That's the name they recognise.

Now, look at the US Congress. It's bicameral (two houses) and has hundreds of members between them. Most people don't even know who their own representatives are, let alone all of them, and short of a few names which make the news frequently and those who've opted to get into the coming presidential election there's not a lot of name recognition. Most people consider CSPAN to be a painfully boring channel to watch, so they don't really keep up with the day to day particulars of what people in Congress are doing. There's just too much to look at, too many bills to read, too many names to know. That allows blame for when the legislature fails to be distributed throughout unless someone stands out as being a group or individual which is to be held especially responsible. That typically falls on party lines (Congressional Republicans did/didn't do this, or Congressional Democrats did/didn't do that), on the senate majority and minority leaders, and on the speaker of the house.

Simply put, it's easier to put a singular face on the President of the US than it is to put one on Congress, so it's easier to blame or praise the President.
22932 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 8/28/15

BlueOni wrote:

There's actually a surprisingly simple reason why this happens. The United States has combined the offices of chief executive (exactly what it says on the tin, the top dog in the executive branch), commander in chief of the armed forces, and head of state (the face of the nation and normally the top diplomat) into a single office in its president. That means three peoples' jobs are combined into one office, and are to be carried out by one person. This makes that one person extremely visible and responsible for managing the optics and mechanics of three critically important jobs simultaneously: managing international diplomacy, managing the conduct of war, and enforcing laws, appointing judges, appointing cabinet members to which executive authority may be delegated, and so on. One guy, girl, or other. One. The buck truly does stop at the President's desk, for good or ill. When things go right, that's who people will thank. When things go wrong, that's who they'll blame. Because that's who they see. That's the name they recognise.

Now, look at the US Congress. It's bicameral (two houses) and has hundreds of members between them. Most people don't even know who their own representatives are, let alone all of them, and short of a few names which make the news frequently and those who've opted to get into the coming presidential election there's not a lot of name recognition. Most people consider CSPAN to be a painfully boring channel to watch, so they don't really keep up with the day to day particulars of what people in Congress are doing. There's just too much to look at, too many bills to read, too many names to know. That allows blame for when the legislature fails to be distributed throughout unless someone stands out as being a group or individual which is to be held especially responsible. That typically falls on party lines (Congressional Republicans did/didn't do this, or Congressional Democrats did/didn't do that), on the senate majority and minority leaders, and on the speaker of the house.

Simply put, it's easier to put a singular face on the President of the US than it is to put one on Congress, so it's easier to blame or praise the President.


So Blue I had a political question you might know the answer but you might not. Has the American people elected more Presidents from the Senate or Congress wildcard would be Governor of a State. I guess my question why don't we call them out when they don't get anything done as a Congressman instead we elect them as a President ?
18092 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 8/28/15

anzn wrote:


AiYumega wrote:

I honestly think people won't realize how good Obama was for our country til he's out of office.

Racists will probably still think he was bad and say Bush was better I bet.


Pretty sure they would think that even if Obama turned out to be the best president ever and if i remember correctly i remember some racist idiots where saying that they would secede from the US if Obama was elected president?

Sheesh people are so stupid it's no mystery why every other country hates us and thinks we are stupid.

8651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Pennsylvania
Offline
Posted 8/28/15

CKD-Anime wrote:

Because its easy, that way they don't have to think


yeah and correct me if i'm wrong but last time i checked the president doesn't have much power at all. He can't exactly pass a law on own, thought that was Congress. The only real power the president has is over the Army and where they're stationed but he can't exactly just say "I want the army to go and bomb the ocean because i don't like the little mermaid." because then he can be impeached.
64156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / Right behind you.
Offline
Posted 8/28/15
The understanding people have of American politics is actually lacking to an incredible degree. The President is the easiest target, because he holds the most visible and powerful position in the US. All the other positions in government cannot make decisions on their own, but have to rely on a voting system, making their opinion just one of many.
Also, for some reason, the amount of misinformation that happens in the US is incredible and its gradually getting worse. Thinking back on the ACA/Obamacare issue, depending on political affiliation, people either supported one or the other, very few people actually realized they were both the same thing. Not only that but the number of people who believe the President can use an executive order to create law is staggering. It is an incredible level of ignorance and misinformation perpetuated partly by news sources in order to increase their ratings with their target demographics and the other part by some kind of asinine view of looking for compromise and a middle ground as a weakness.
3134 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/28/15 , edited 8/28/15
The President has more power than you say here. People do blame congress all the time. All throughout Bush's term as president congress has been blamed as well. They are also blamed for much of the economy and everything else. It depends on what news you listen to. Sometimes I listen to NPR and they try to tell it how it is.
242 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 8/28/15
Yeah its hit the point where i feel like more people think the states are part of a monarchy instead of a democracy. If anyone is to blame its congress itself and not just the president since a lot of the stuff people hate Obama for had to be approved to begin with. Im really hoping there isnt so much crap thrown around with the next president so that my facebook can actually clean up a little and i can stop unfriending people just for being obsessive.
19 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 8/28/15 , edited 8/28/15
Some of the ignorance in here really makes me sad. No offense meant. First off Congress gets more hate than the president, its not even close. Secondly Obama has a lot of power and can greatly influence the nation. His power of veto can kill any bill bc both sides can't agree on anything. Thirdly he has executive action which can pretty much bypass Congress. Pretty much Congress can't pass anything without the president giving it the o.k. If your not political and just look it neutrally, Obama was bad the country. When Obama entered our Debt was about 10 trillion, when he leaves it will be 20 trillion. The policies he's put into place will continue increasing that. In a lot of major issue it appears Obama is just going to let the next president handle It. Iran and the spending to name a few. Not to mention the County is more divided than ever b4, a president is suppose to bring people together. I could go on and on but what's the use. Bush and Obama both did a pretty bad job.

Sadly the Media has more power than anybody else bc they can influence the people. Unfortunately all media outlet are bias, you'd have to watch both Fox news and CNN to get fair and balanced. If you watch only one you'd become bias too, which people are. What I find most troubling is how ignorant the average American is about what's going on in the country and around the world. I can't blame them thou bc ignorance is truly bliss bc being informed and caring can be overwhelming and make you unhappy... that I can promise you.
Posted 8/28/15
People in USA blame their president for everything and the whole world blames USA for everything.

See a pattern here?
19 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 8/28/15
No I see things for the truth in a non-bias, non political way... guaranteed your bias leaning to the left, if not far left. Stupid to me means not being able to see things objectively bc of your feeling which is what the right and the left do.
19 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 8/28/15 , edited 8/28/15
Please, lets not get into a political argument bc I have no interest in doing so
27705 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / TX
Offline
Posted 8/28/15

anzn wrote:


onetimechoker wrote:

Some of the ignorance in here really makes me sad. No offense meant. First off Congress gets more hate than the president, its not even close. Secondly Obama has a lot of power and can greatly influence the nation. His power of veto can kill any bill bc both sides can't agree on anything. Thirdly he has executive action which can pretty much bypass Congress. Pretty much Congress can't pass anything without the president giving it the o.k. If your not political and just look it neutrally, Obama was bad the country. When Obama entered our Debt was about 10 trillion, when he leaves it will be 20 trillion. The policies he's put into place will continue increasing that. In a lot of major issue it appears Obama is just going to let the next president handle It. Iran and the spending to name a few. Not to mention the County is more divided than ever b4, a president is suppose to bring people together. I could go on and on but what's the use. Bush and Obama both did a pretty bad job.

Sadly the Media has more power than anybody else bc they can influence the people. Unfortunately all media outlet are bias, you'd have to watch both Fox news and CNN to get fair and balanced. If you watch only one you'd become bias too, which people are. What I find most troubling is how ignorant the average American is about what's going on in the country and around the world. I can't blame them thou bc ignorance is truly bliss bc being informed and caring can be overwhelming and make you unhappy... that I can promise you.

Not sure if trolling or just stupid or living under a rock the past 7 years


Pot calling the kettle black tbh


anzn instead of getting into petty insults why don't you try debating? See if any of his info wrong and back it up with a source
President has the power of the pen
http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/15/politics/immigration-executive-action/index.html
While congress has the power of the purse
http://history.house.gov/institution/origins-development/power-of-the-purse/
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.