First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply What ever happened to common sense?
zalbik 
10318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M / OR
Offline
Posted 8/8/15

animegirl2222 wrote:

Humanity has actually declined. We are getting stupider and stupider and stupider as time passes. I guess it's just the natural order of things?


It is what happens when you remove natural selection.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 8/8/15

zalbik wrote: It is what happens when you remove natural selection.

buy Natural Selection 2!
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/8/15
"Common sense" is a myth perpetrated by those that think everybody should agree with what they think is right.
27705 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / TX
Offline
Posted 8/8/15

BlueOni wrote:

The funny thing about "common sense" is that it's often dead wrong. Common sense would've told you that the sun revolves around the Earth, because that's what we saw happening. Common sense would've told you that if you are experiencing a chemical burn you need to flush with water immediately. That might help, but it can also make things worse. Common sense would've told you that any fire extinguisher will work for any fire, because hey, it's a fire extinguisher. Some are equipped to deal with multiple sorts of fires, but not all of them are.

Common sense is a shifty, lying bastard sometimes.


I see what you mean a little learning of the basics goes a long way

When our guys are transporting chemicals we tell them to read the sds labels and if the company they are picking up the chemicals from doesn't provide one to refuse the shipment. We still pay our guys for going out not there fault if our customer drops the ball. I even went so far as to tell kids every product they buy has a sds "safety data sheet" and where to find them.

For those interested
simply use yahoo or google
type in name of product with the word msds "material safety data sheet but the word material was drop off at the beginning of the year 2015 information is the same weather you find it labeled msds or sds"
at the end ex: coca-cola msds
usually is the first link
http://www.sfm.state.or.us/CR2K_SubDB/MSDS/COKE_CLASSIC_BEVERAGE_BASE_PART_1.PDF
You will find whats in it, first aid, transport requirements and what dangers said product poses.
Still tastes good so i'm not going to stop drinking cola

For fire extinguishers we always teach our guys to read the tags and to remember what kind of fire they are dealing with. Also remain calm
Even in school we were taught these things so i'm assuming most schools still teach this. It's simply a matter of giving yourself reminders so you won't forget.

For those interested "there are more types but these are the ones I deal with"
class a- leaves ashes behind
class b- are your liquids "gasoline, diesel, condensate"
class c- are electric
class d- are your chemicals
Posted 8/8/15
Typically it means not doing things that are stupid that most people would consider stupid. Like putting a fork in a light socket, or playing with fire/matches, drinking and driving, shit commonly seen as avoidable with common sensibility.

It shouldnt pose as a threat to logic and reason, and if it does thats, well, sad..
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 8/8/15 , edited 8/8/15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1kLfi-yFoA
Coke power.... common sense..
21448 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Between yesterday...
Offline
Posted 8/8/15

zalbik wrote:


animegirl2222 wrote:

Humanity has actually declined. We are getting stupider and stupider and stupider as time passes. I guess it's just the natural order of things?


It is what happens when you remove natural selection.


You are incorrect natural selection is still occurring since folks are getting together on their own and not being forced into relationships the idea that because we have removed most of the natural threats to our lives is in error and bad common sense and science. Also intelligence has some genetic components the rest is nurture not nature as the saying goes.

Given the right up bringing nutrition education and support you can have a highly developed person who is smarter then their parents. There are several factors not just genetics that figure into this. I wish folks would get off the whole oh it's genetics when it isn't. As long as folks keep meeting and making babies it is natural selection what isn't there is the threat but as we see folks will still take themselves out of the gene pool and that is education and up bringing not genetics.

“Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death. There is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

Ignorance can be cured but if a person chooses to use there head as nothing more then a hat rack you can't fix it. There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity one is not knowing the other is not using what you know are actually figuring it out if you can.

Also don't tell kids they are stupid tell them they are smart when they do stuff that is smart it reinforces this and makes them smarter.
35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/9/15 , edited 8/9/15
Let me assert that the one thing which can truly doom us is surrender to cynicism, misanthropy, and fear. It would be foolish to argue that humankind is without failure or peril, and yet it has become the case that the miraculous achievement of extension of the human lifespan by means of improved medical science and safety measures is met with scorn and distrust rather than the awe and praise which it is due. Whether by failure to recognise the necessity of persons of every sort to keep the machinery of human effort producing or by surrender to a worldview increasingly critical of peoples' failures as though each were sufficient to condemn the whole it has become an alarmingly common notion that safety is our enemy. That stability and prosperity paradoxically ensure our destruction rather than our survival. I stand assured that this is not the case. I stand assured that efforts to improve standards of living and security for all members of society are not only something which may be reconciled with efforts to sustain our societies and our species indefinitely, but that it is our moral duty to ensure that this is done.
Posted 8/9/15
You sold it to the machines.
AidaG 
5016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / F
Offline
Posted 8/9/15
The only one that kinda makes sense is the fire extiguisher, obviously people are stealing them so he probably figured" better to have one and give the key to someone I trust, then not to have one at all" The couple on the motorcycle to have their children taken from them. And guys with the guns? what can I say, and they want to keep giving more guns out, and concealed at that??
scye27 
49877 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / US
Offline
Posted 8/9/15
Theories:

1. People need to fail in order to learn from their mistakes. Too many times the chance of failure is taken away. They never develop these skills early on because they feel whatever they do will not have a consequence.
2. Our fast paced society makes people even more stressed. They turn to their "lizard brain", the part that is very primal, and do what they need to get it done rather than doing it properly.
3. Early use of screens as a baby/toddler. This is still a newish idea, but a baby's brain can have issues in development if they are exposed to too much screen time early on. This may result in learning disabilities.
4698 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / all around the wo...
Offline
Posted 8/9/15
common sense isn't so common
5 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M
Offline
Posted 8/9/15
I don't know if it's already been said, but it almost looks like the internet wants the movie "idiocracy" to become real.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 8/9/15

generaltalk wrote: looks like the internet wants the movie "idiocracy" to become real.

Well on the internet everything floats around sometimes drown us all!
13577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Australia
Offline
Posted 8/9/15
There's never been such a thing as "Common sense". Common sense is just what you say when someone does something YOU feel is stupid but that is not unlawful and when they ask for a reason why the thing they did was stupid you say "It's Common sense!".
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.