First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply The issue with the "weeaboo" label.
5355 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / New Brunswick, Ca...
Offline
Posted 8/4/15 , edited 8/4/15
The fact that someone isn't allowed to acknowledge the words nor wear of another culture else they be discriminated is in itself racist is it not?

However all too often when people do that with Japanese culture specifically, they are hated on and considered "weebs".

By the logic of most people I've seen on the internet, if you like anime or anything anime related then you are by default a weeaboo. (Sorry Pokémon fans)

Considering enjoying anime is simply enjoying something of Japanese culture, it is absolutely no different than the following, in which case by the logic of most people on the internet:

If you like Nintendo or anything Nintendo related (Sorry squids) you are a weeaboo.
If you like SEGA or anything SEGA related (Sorry Sonic fans) you are a weeaboo.
If you like Capcom and/or anything Capcom related (Sorry Megaman fans) you are a weeaboo.
If you like Sushi or any other Japanese food, you are a weeaboo.


I put weeaboo in quotes because it's apparent that nobody really understands the appropriate reason why the term has a bad connotation. An interest in Japanese culture does NOT make someone a weeaboo. It is more for those who attempt to act Japanese to the point of being very annoying to the average person and wish they were Japanese for very superficial reasons.

Ultimately most arguments I see for hating on weeaboos consist of "They are always up in my face about anime and their Japanese stuff". That would be a logical point if I had actually ever experienced it. I've seen more random weeaboo hating posts than I've ever seen anime posts. Most anime posts are contained within their own community.

Anyways rant over.

I would be really interested to hear your own opinions on the topic but please remain respectful.
17467 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Chicago,IL
Offline
Posted 8/4/15
The term is used way too often for too many things to even pinpoint what a real weeaboo even is. So i can't tell you.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 8/4/15 , edited 8/5/15
People need to stop being so concerned over this. Weeaboo is a joke term coming from 4chan mocking people who are a bit too into Japanese culture. It's an insult nothing more.
32282 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / St.Louis - USA
Online
Posted 8/4/15

By the logic of most people I've on the internet

Internet logic is probably the best logic to follow. *sarcasm*
10589 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 8/4/15 , edited 8/5/15
fun fact: only anime fans / elitists know what "weeb" is (unless they hear it from an anime fan/elitist)
yes, that means weebs call other people weebs.
Posted 8/4/15 , edited 8/5/15

namealreadytaken wrote:

fun fact: only anime fans / elitists know what "weeb" is (unless they hear it from an anime fan/elitist)
yes, that means weebs call other people weebs.


You just utterly blew my mind with that statement

It's so poetic - it's beautiful.
5428 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/4/15 , edited 8/5/15
I'd say that there is a line where it stops being appreciative and starts being creepy, which is where I've always considered that label to come into play.
and I admit that the fact that I'm overly worried about crossing that line means that I'm probably pretty close to it. I mean, I'm learning Japanese so that I can study Shinto for my PhD, and concerns surrounding this kind of haunt me. But there is a line... somewhere...

If I had to put it into words it would be: idolizing the concept of Japaneseness.
so for example:
Learning Japanese is a great thing to do. Considering Japanese to be "better" or "worse" than any other language is not.
Liking Japanese food is great. If your reason is "Because Japan" then than isn't really.
Finding Japanese persons cute is great. Fetishism surrounding Japanese Identity is not.

All these things have one thing in common, when taken to extreme they remove the culture/people/language/etc. from context and treat them as something almost inhuman or deny the validity of the culture. When someone treats Japan as some kind of Utopia it's as insulting as anything else because it implies that it is somehow not real.
That's how I distinguish Japan-nerd from Weaboo

I try to stay on the appreciation side, and I haven't really gotten a whole lot of trouble for it. Though I do want people to call me out if I cross that line. I mean "Freaking Weebo, at least you tried" is better than spiraling out of control.
18767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / London
Offline
Posted 8/4/15 , edited 8/4/15


Basically a GIF to pretty much understand the weeaboo label. It was taken from the label Wapanese which means Wannabe Japanese
MOSTLY it's when they think they ARE Japanese and rather not just watching anime or such. Being into the culture is good and all; but unless you keep your own culture and not lets say "replace" it you wont be a weeaboo.

(yes I've seen weeaboos call other people weeaboos when they're not)
10589 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 8/4/15 , edited 8/4/15

tridragon1 wrote:



Basically a GIF to pretty much understand the weeaboo label. It was taken from the label Wapanese which means Wannabe Japanese
MOSTLY it's when they think they ARE Japanese and rather not just watching anime or such. Being into the culture is good and all; but unless you keep your own culture and not lets say "replace" it you wont be a weeaboo.

(yes I've seen weeaboos call other people weeaboos when they're not)


i remember there was a girl on youtube which was basically the definition of a weeb, though she was probably trolling
(the one where she claimed to be a "Japanese princess reborn")
27230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 8/4/15

Zenatyra wrote:

I'd say that there is a line where it stops being appreciative and starts being creepy, which is where I've always considered that label to come into play.
and I admit that the fact that I'm overly worried about crossing that line means that I'm probably pretty close to it. I mean, I'm learning Japanese so that I can study Shinto for my PhD, and concerns surrounding this kind of haunt me. But there is a line... somewhere...

If I had to put it into words it would be: idolizing the concept of Japaneseness.
so for example:
Learning Japanese is a great thing to do. Considering Japanese to be "better" or "worse" than any other language is not.
Liking Japanese food is great. If your reason is "Because Japan" then than isn't really.
Finding Japanese persons cute is great. Fetishism surrounding Japanese Identity is not.

All these things have one thing in common, when taken to extreme they remove the culture/people/language/etc. from context and treat them as something almost inhuman or deny the validity of the culture. When someone treats Japan as some kind of Utopia it's as insulting as anything else because it implies that it is somehow not real.
That's how I distinguish Japan-nerd from Weaboo

I try to stay on the appreciation side, and I haven't really gotten a whole lot of trouble for it. Though I do want people to call me out if I cross that line. I mean "Freaking Weebo, at least you tried" is better than spiraling out of control.

I'd probably go with this.


So far, I haven't seen or met anyone stupid enough to think that liking a Japanese thing makes a person a weeaboo. I also find that the label is easier to slap onto non-Asian people, even if there's an Asian person (who isn't Japanese) who seems to have a Japan fetish.

I'm the Japan-appreciating type, I'd say, due to the former Japanese occupation of Taiwan. I've been there a few times and it just feels like a second home because my grandma raised me and she has close ties in Japan and grew up with Japanese people. I know exactly how to behave when I'm there and even though I've never studied the language and can't speak it, I can understand about 30% of what I hear. We've always used Japanese things because of our preference of quality over quantity, and I eat Japanese food because I was raised on it and I make it. Even though everyone who knows me knows that I love Japan and all things Japanese, nobody has called me a weeaboo. Probably since I'm not an obsessive anime fan.

I think an open worship of anime is what will likely get you called a weeaboo. There's a difference between appreciating the culture and worshipping Japan. Yeah, if you go to Japan and decide to wear a conical rice picker's hat, everyone frowns upon that as well. When wearing a yukata or kimono, it's left over right. Don't walk up the middle of the stairs at a shrine. Don't stand in the way of foot traffic on the sidewalk. Don't jaywalk. Use the tray for money that cashiers slide over to you; don't hand over money directly. Don't leave a single grain of rice or a single piece of food at mealtime. Don't give gifts of white flowers. Carry a spare pair of socks so you don't step on someone's floor with your bare feet, just in case they don't provide slippers. Yada yada.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 8/4/15
You all make me miss the days where I had to go visit suncoast and deal with people that never showered for the latest anime vhs tape.


17394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Michigan
Offline
Posted 8/5/15
My eyes see weeabo as anime/manga fan. I'm okay with that. Why wouldn't I be?
17181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 8/5/15
If you're using foreign language as word substitutions and wearing cultural garments because you watch anime/listen to kpop/kdrama you probably are a weeb. All people have potential to be a weeb, it just occurs more often in a lot of anime fans.
41641 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/5/15
it's all in sarcasm, my son
29382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 8/5/15
Let me put this into perspective for you. Weeaboos are only found in the anime community because the insult stems from the fact that there are people out there who try to act like they're Japanese when they're not. They're the kind of people you find trying to pronounce Japanese words and either failing epicly at it or using the words in the wrong context. They're also the kind of people you find throwing Japanese words into an english sentence. They're also the kind of people you find who think they can speak Japanese because they've watched all the episodes of some mainstream anime like Naruto, for instance, in English Sub. While the subtitles are accurate, they also rely upon context, pronunciation and probably a bunch of other things I haven't mentioned. Someone who speaks the language fluently would be able to tell you more on that point.

Weeaboos are basically Wannabe Japanese. Anyone who uses the term outside of the anime community is using it on the grounds that it essentially refers to wannabes.

Whilst one can have an appreciation for a culture, a line does need to be drawn at some point.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.