First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Should There Be Laws Against Racism?
Posted 9/3/15
There are but let's face it no one follows them.

I'll write this out without being too subjective, but my family and I, were looking at houses to buy and found one on a block a few streets away from where we live. We got an appointment and went to look and realized they weren't gonna sell us the house. The block was all older Asian people, and my family and I are not old Asian people. So they just kinda pushed us out, quick, didnt even let us look, and that was it. House got sold to an older Asian person actually.

I mean they could have of at least saved us the time by looking at our name to realize we were not Asian, but that's how it is. But I'm sure if these people tried buying a house in an all white area they'd have the same thing done to them. Sucks that this is my birth neighborhood, and not there's, but that's life.


Suck it up and deal with it. There's stores I can't go into, restaurants I can't eat at, places I can't live. That's life.
Bavalt 
22031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/3/15
Racism is really just a belief. I believe it to be a misguided and utterly wrong belief, but in the end, that's all it is. It's not relevant if someone only commits crimes against or is an ass to certain ethnic groups: what matters is that they do it at all. I don't think the law should treat a crime against a person of a minority any differently than a crime against a person of the majority. Different treatment on that level will only reinforce the mistaken thinking that they're fundamentally different.

Racism is a social issue, and should be dealt with as such. We're on the right track, as slow-moving as that might be, by having people speaking out against it. It's still around, sure, but there are far, far more people who see it for the nonsense it is than who partake in it. As long as we keep talking about it, and making it clear that it is not okay, we're exerting social pressure on racists. The law doesn't have the capacity to change their thinking, but prevailing opinion does.
St3cky 
5013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 9/3/15
Isn't it the human race? Or are people with different skin colors actually a different race?
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/3/15
There should be laws restricting when, where and how you can act on racism.

Racism itself is a mode of though, and no law should be allow to regulate how you think.
5436 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Prescott AZ
Offline
Posted 9/3/15 , edited 9/3/15
no there should not be a law. its nature for people to want to feel better then others and they will look for any means to stand out or be above the rest.
14238 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Tokyo, Japan
Offline
Posted 9/3/15 , edited 9/3/15
racial statistics are useful but they make life more difficult for the groups affected.

african americans commit 99% of all crimes, so it makes sense to monitor african americans when they enter your store because they will probably steal something. this is extremely unfair to the good, hardworking african americans (im not going to say this constitutes a significant percentage of the AA population, but they do exist and im fortunate enough to know some myself) but it's the right decision and the intelligent decision if you don't want to go out of business in a month.

most racism is at the very least statistically useful when it comes to law enforcement. racism in other areas i don't much care for because the perpetrators are typically imbeciles.

on the other hand, u have ancient chinese who typically feels vastly superior to his peers. he will work the hardest, and score the highest, but at the end of the day he will still occupy the lowest rung on the social ladder because of his status as an ancient chinese. in this case im not sure if its racism or just people dont like ancient chinese a whole lot for whatever reason.
Posted 9/3/15
I'm all for freedom of speech. Racist opinions and thoughts, while I disagree with, should be allowed to be had. Acting on said opinions though shouldn't be legal, since all people are equal and all that stuff.
13149 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 9/3/15

maxy0 wrote:

african americans commit 99% of all crimes, so it makes sense to monitor african americans when they enter your store because they will probably steal something. this is extremely unfair to the good, hardworking african americans (im not going to say this constitutes a significant percentage of the AA population, but they do exist and im fortunate enough to know some myself) but it's the right decision and the intelligent decision if you don't want to go out of business in a month.


Oh really? That statistic is nowhere close to being true and then you suggest that the law abiding portion of the black community is of an insignificant percentage...wow.

This post as a whole is just a gross misrepresentation of reality.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 9/3/15

sundin13 wrote:


maxy0 wrote:

african americans commit 99% of all crimes, so it makes sense to monitor african americans when they enter your store because they will probably steal something. this is extremely unfair to the good, hardworking african americans (im not going to say this constitutes a significant percentage of the AA population, but they do exist and im fortunate enough to know some myself) but it's the right decision and the intelligent decision if you don't want to go out of business in a month.


Oh really? That statistic is nowhere close to being true and then you suggest that the law abiding portion of the black community is of an insignificant percentage...wow.

This post as a whole is just a gross misrepresentation of reality.


13% of the population, over 50% of the murders last round of FBI stats, they are sadly around 45%-60% of all the different crimes committed in the USA.
13149 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 9/3/15 , edited 9/3/15

VZ68 wrote:

13% of the population, over 50% of the murders last round of FBI stats, they are sadly around 45%-60% of all the different crimes committed in the USA.


Yes, I know those statistics, but maxy did not use those statistics. maxy either used hyperbole to vilify a race of people or is just being incredibly dishonest when he says that black individuals commit "99% of all crime" and that "good" african americans make up an insignificant portion of the black population.
4733 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Chicago, Illinois
Offline
Posted 9/3/15 , edited 9/3/15

brookline wrote:


A comment on the topic about Japan passing a law banning discrimination against Koreans a comment posted said no law can stop racism. well reply is as follows:


if no law can fix racism, should there not be any laws against racism?

should racist be allowed to practice racism or sexism because no law can stop them?

than what should be done about racists if no law can stop them?

Should people allow themselves to harassed bullied or even killed by racist because laws have no affect on racist?

Should people fight against racism?

Should we just give in to racism and submit to it?

Would any of you submit to racism be nothing can be done about it?

Explain all that please.


Ever heard of the Civil Rights Act of 1964? I suppose most countries should follow the American initiative to handling discrimination, it works very well

731 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Kabe o koete
Offline
Posted 9/3/15
Racism will always exist in some way shape or form as long as humans are taught racism. It isnt something your born with its something someone somehow taught you during your development stages or at some point in your life. Maybe something traumatic caused it nobody knows that but that said person. There cant be laws against how you think or what you can and cant think, but people always debate on this topic. The only solution about stop racism is to stop talking about (at least thats my opinion).
Posted 9/3/15
Racism will exist until the human race dies out.
Making laws won't do shit & help the cause.
21448 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Between yesterday...
Offline
Posted 9/3/15

brookline wrote:


A comment on the topic about Japan passing a law banning discrimination against Koreans a comment posted said no law can stop racism. well reply is as follows:


if no law can fix racism, should there not be any laws against racism?


No laws are prefect and stops crime completely this doesn't mean you shouldn't have these laws they just need proper enforcement. And people need to understand how to use them so they can be protected by them.


should racist be allowed to practice racism or sexism because no law can stop them?


They are allowed free speech in this country while I disagree with it unless they are directly harming someone they can say what they like doesn't mean however that they can't be called on their bull.
[/quote[

than what should be done about racists if no law can stop them?


Called to task and shamed publicly for their behavior.


Should people allow themselves to harassed bullied or even killed by racist because laws have no affect on racist?


It isn't a matter of allowing I suspect you have never been bullied you don't have much choice if you are in an environment what you can't easily escape it. Which is why we have laws to protect people in the first please.


Should people fight against racism?


Yes since everyojnhe has a race I'm Irish English ask me how the Irish used to be treated in this country it isn't pretty.


Should we just give in to racism and submit to it?


No since this is learned behavior and can be corrected.


Would any of you submit to racism be nothing can be done about it?


No I would fight back just like anyone should.

Explain all that please.



Your line of logic is flawed just because someone is hard to fight against doesn't mean giving up and not doing anything about it. This becomes a matter of learning and understanding and pushing back against bad behavior but to do that we require laws that allow a person to fight back.


Rights are not given by god they are a construct of man and as such need to be protected and defended for everyone equally. this is true of any right we have currently they are granted by laws we create. If you do not wish to have those rights well that is a different topic.
8138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/3/15
sure, if that would solve the issue -_-

this is taught so it's more a societal problem and laws can't be enforced unless you follow people into their own homes [and maybe into their minds] there really isn't a straight forward solution, education is a big one, maybe painting Hollywood in broader colours so the main characters in most movies aren't 'attractive white guy'. i'm not saying Hollywoods to blame but it would help seeing various races, ages, genders, sexualities [LGBT] and even body types [fat, thin, tall, short, 'disabled'] presented in a positive note instead of these 'minorities' being punchlines thus perpetuating stereotypes. a law is a bandage solution like removing the confederate flag, it's a step in the right direction, but removing the symbol doesn't fix the problem, the whole thing is far more complicated.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.