First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Why do people worship the military so much?
Posted 8/6/15
Nobody is paying anyone to worship whoever. It wouldn't bother me.

WitlessMean wrote:

You guys are so quick to say "they go to the military to protect people and put their lives on the line" when the truth is, many of them, I'd even dare say most of them, do not go for that reason. Many of them go because they literally don't know what else to do, didn't do well in school and military(army prob) seems like a good choice. Many of them just need the money, or really want the respect, or want to turn their lives around. Some of them want the travel and the excitement.

Very many of them go to the military for selfish reasons. While they do, much of the time END UP putting their lives on the line, many of them don't wish to actually do that. I'm speaking for many of my military friends here.

I will say though, I know a few people who take huge pride and responsibility in what they do in the military and really are trying to "protect the country". I respect those people, but only after I've gotten to know them. I'm just saying, a lot of people go to the military with the "it's not going to happen to me" mindset. Many of them get over that while they're in the military, and then command respect.


+1 whatever the motive, it's their choice.

11650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/6/15

woodygirl97

The things your government hide from you.


Sigh... So just like every country yours paints itself in a nice light. I won't bother wasting time educating you, as the means are there for you to do so yourself. Just be smarter about what you say in the future. It's pretty disrespectful to other countries you know.
13608 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 8/6/15

dotsforlife wrote:


woodygirl97

The things your government hide from you.


Sigh... So just like every country yours paints itself in a nice light. I won't bother wasting time educating you, as the means are there for you to do so yourself. Just be smarter about what you say in the future. It's pretty disrespectful to other countries you know.


Ha...I never said my country was pure, thanks for the offer but back at school I had history education. I am just loyal to my country, sorry if my beliefs upset you.
Posted 8/6/15 , edited 8/6/15



Well that was pointless but at the same time, very insightful to what can very well be mistaken as worship xD
27134 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/6/15 , edited 8/8/15

woodygirl97 wrote:

Ha...I never said my country was pure, thanks for the offer but back at school I had history education. I am just loyal to my country, sorry if my beliefs upset you.


Well, I suppose that's one way to be blatantly hypocritical.

13608 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 8/6/15 , edited 8/6/15

severticas wrote:




Well that was pointless but at the same time, very insightful to what can very well be mistaken as worship xD


I wouldn't go far as to makes a shrine and worship the army hahaha
Posted 8/6/15

woodygirl97 wrote:


severticas wrote:




Well that was pointless but at the same time, very insightful to what can very well be mistaken as worship xD


I wouldn't go far as to makes a shrine and worship the army hahaha


Haha, your tit for tat is being taken the wrong way.
29382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 8/6/15
I think there's a difference between having respect for those serving in the army/military (whatever you want to call it) and worshiping them. To clarify, what I mean is that while it's certainly respectable and even admiral, wars aren't always fought to protect the country. There are many different reasons wars are fought and I'm sure someone who serves in the military could tell you more on that subject. I'm sure that those who have been in wars would be able to tell you that they don't feel like heroes when they're forced to kill people because their own lives are at risk too. Killing people isn't heroic, nor is fighting for one's country. It's brave, it's admirable, it's whatever other term you want to use but it's not heroic.

It's not heroic because there is no line between good and bad on the battlefield. It's all bad. On both sides, it's all about killing the enemy. There's no room for anything else.

Like I said before, anyone who fights for their country is brave and what they do is certainly admirable. But that doesn't make it heroic. Because how can killing people ever be good?
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/6/15 , edited 8/6/15
I think there is a ridiculous amount of emphasis on "defense" in the US, but having said that, the men and women that serve deserve better treatment than this country has afforded them.Even if you loathe the political reasons that put the US military personnel in harms way you have to honor the commitment and sacrifice of those Americans that chose to serve.It's the right thing to do.
18164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 8/6/15 , edited 8/7/15
My cousin is in the navy and he douchebagly admitted that he was in it for the money and the early retirement plan. As he was there, he already got a divorce. His mom pays for whatever he's missing on the divorce.

One of my co-workers was so eager to make me join with him in the force. He was so eager. Everyday he always asked me about it. Then, I got curious why. I did some research. It turns out if he recruited/referred at least three people his rank would boost up as soon as he starts going to the military. We're not going in there and start as equals. Practically, he was about to use me.
I brought this attention to him and he had nothing to say. =T smh
16041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / somehwere in the...
Offline
Posted 8/6/15
I guess I'm a bit biased since I was in the military and over half of my family are/were in the military as well. I don't like the word "worship" because that's over the top. I guess you can say the people who do "worship" are the parents/siblings/family members/significant others who have a love one in the military. I respect them all, but I will call out a stolen valor when I see it.


onibrotonel wrote:

My cousin is in the navy and he douchebagly admitted that he was in it for the money and the early retirement plan. As he was there, he already got a divorce. His mom pays for whatever he's missing on the divorce.

One of my co-workers was so eager to make me join with him in the force. He was so eager. Everyday he always asked me about it. Then, I got curious why. I did some research. It turns out if he recruited/referred at least three people his rank would boost up as soon as he starts going to the military. We're not going in there and start as equals. Practically, he was about to use me.
I brought this attention to him and he had nothing to say. =T smh


divorce in the military is extremely high. almost everyone I know who was in the military has been married and divorced at least once already (my dad and brother, and they both remarried after the 1st divorce).

When I enlisted, someone got a hold of my SSN and called a number where if you successfully get a person to enlist, you get a lump sum of money. I found out about this after the fact, and I didn't even know the guy. Sadly the guy was a relative of my recruiter. He ended up screwing himself over because one day his response was "I got a lot of money coming in today". he got reported, so he was banned from collecting lol
2047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/6/15 , edited 8/8/15

woodygirl97 wrote:


dotsforlife wrote:


woodygirl97

The things your government hide from you.


Sigh... So just like every country yours paints itself in a nice light. I won't bother wasting time educating you, as the means are there for you to do so yourself. Just be smarter about what you say in the future. It's pretty disrespectful to other countries you know.


Ha...I never said my country was pure, thanks for the offer but back at school I had history education. I am just loyal to my country, sorry if my beliefs upset you.


Your from the UK and your bashing the U.S. Lololol your country has committed scores of atrocities around the world far more than the U.S. ever has.
18164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 8/6/15 , edited 8/6/15

laviriot13 wrote:

I guess I'm a bit biased since I was in the military and over half of my family are/were in the military as well. I don't like the word "worship" because that's over the top. I guess you can say the people who do "worship" are the parents/siblings/family members/significant others who have a love one in the military. I respect them all, but I will call out a stolen valor when I see it.


onibrotonel wrote:

My cousin is in the navy and he douchebagly admitted that he was in it for the money and the early retirement plan. As he was there, he already got a divorce. His mom pays for whatever he's missing on the divorce.

One of my co-workers was so eager to make me join with him in the force. He was so eager. Everyday he always asked me about it. Then, I got curious why. I did some research. It turns out if he recruited/referred at least three people his rank would boost up as soon as he starts going to the military. We're not going in there and start as equals. Practically, he was about to use me.
I brought this attention to him and he had nothing to say. =T smh


divorce in the military is extremely high. almost everyone I know who was in the military has been married and divorced at least once already (my dad and brother, and they both remarried after the 1st divorce).

When I enlisted, someone got a hold of my SSN and called a number where if you successfully get a person to enlist, you get a lump sum of money. I found out about this after the fact, and I didn't even know the guy. Sadly the guy was a relative of my recruiter. He ended up screwing himself over because one day his response was "I got a lot of money coming in today". he got reported, so he was banned from collecting lol


On my cousin's case, well, he and his ex met each other in the club wasted. Get married quick (Vegas?) I did not get to see the chick but my relatives told me she was butt ugly. They were like, "how wasted were you?"

Now, he's with another girl and it's a Korean chick in nursing. Catching catching. $$$

By the way, he only fixes golf carts in the navy.
13608 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 8/6/15

biscuitnote wrote:


woodygirl97 wrote:


dotsforlife wrote:


woodygirl97

The things your government hide from you.


Sigh... So just like every country yours paints itself in a nice light. I won't bother wasting time educating you, as the means are there for you to do so yourself. Just be smarter about what you say in the future. It's pretty disrespectful to other countries you know.


Ha...I never said my country was pure, thanks for the offer but back at school I had history education. I am just loyal to my country, sorry if my beliefs upset you.


Your from the UK and your bashing the U.S. Lololol your country has committed scores of atrocities around the world far more than the U.S. ever has.


Especially in the Usa, we violated your women, killed your innocent and burned your buildings. I haven't done much study on the red coats.
2047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/6/15 , edited 8/8/15

woodygirl97 wrote:


biscuitnote wrote:


woodygirl97 wrote:


dotsforlife wrote:


woodygirl97

The things your government hide from you.


Sigh... So just like every country yours paints itself in a nice light. I won't bother wasting time educating you, as the means are there for you to do so yourself. Just be smarter about what you say in the future. It's pretty disrespectful to other countries you know.


Ha...I never said my country was pure, thanks for the offer but back at school I had history education. I am just loyal to my country, sorry if my beliefs upset you.


Your from the UK and your bashing the U.S. Lololol your country has committed scores of atrocities around the world far more than the U.S. ever has.


Especially in the Usa, we violated your women, killed your innocent and burned your buildings. I haven't done much study on the red coats.


We also kicked you out
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.