First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Why do people worship the military so much?
9541 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 8/6/15

Freddy96NO wrote:


megahobbit wrote: "deal with there own problems".

Well thats true everywhere you are getting teached to atleast deal with things yourself, and maybe have some more confidence sometimes joing the army will help you and then you helping others or being like you said turned into to heartless people, crazy with power etc.


That took my quote completely out of context.
15989 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 8/6/15 , edited 8/6/15

Dariamus wrote:
I spent a lot of time on the flight deck, a place where teamwork and cooperation are required. Someone doesn't have their head screwed on straight, a lot of people can die.

Yeah that too.. lol
Teamwork, squads and requirements that you need different cind of people and vehicals that needs more teamwork and trust.
but does not mean also you have to try taking things by yourself as well?

megahobbit wrote: That took my quote completely out of context.

Though you said "dealing with their own problems"... sorry my mistake I misread
1606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Earth
Offline
Posted 8/6/15 , edited 8/7/15
Because Americans have been propagandized into believing that the troops are the second coming of Jesus. 'MURICA.



20786 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 8/6/15 , edited 8/6/15
I don't really consider following orders blindly something that makes you a hero. It's those that takes initiative to save others in the heat of the events that are true heroes, even if it means them going against an order.

Real heroes are most often firefighters or ambulance drivers, doctors (animal specialized as well as human) police officers often help people too, but we tend to only focus on the bad eggs in the basket.
And not just with their guns, driving home a teenager who's had way too much to drink and might otherwise have ended up lost in a forest or in a dangerous neighborhood.

Really, we have heroes all around us, but I'm afraid they are far and inbetween in the military.
609 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Connecticut
Offline
Posted 8/6/15 , edited 8/7/15

LONGNAMEYOUWONTMISS wrote:

Because Americans have been propagandized into believing that the troops are the second coming of Jesus. 'MURICA.





But seriously, if we viewed our teachers like how we viewed our military, imagine how much more society would benefit. But of course GE, UTC and Northrop Grummen have other ideas for us

Posted 8/6/15 , edited 8/6/15

biscuitnote wrote:


woodygirl97 wrote:


dotsforlife wrote:


woodygirl97

The things your government hide from you.


Sigh... So just like every country yours paints itself in a nice light. I won't bother wasting time educating you, as the means are there for you to do so yourself. Just be smarter about what you say in the future. It's pretty disrespectful to other countries you know.


Ha...I never said my country was pure, thanks for the offer but back at school I had history education. I am just loyal to my country, sorry if my beliefs upset you.


Your from the UK and your bashing the U.S. Lololol your country has committed scores of atrocities around the world far more than the U.S. ever has.

Honestly what does it even matter because most people in the US originally came from Europe and mostly the UK anyway.
We're no better than them & they're no better than us in any way.

Honestly, both America and Europe are pretty bad idky people legitimately still think like this about the two :/

Jwade316 wrote:

I though it was only our government and rednecks that worshiped the military?

Tbh they do but there are a good amount of everyday people that aren't rednecks express this worship for the military.
Posted 8/6/15 , edited 8/6/15
My theory is that ifor quite a few people, it's to keep up appearances.

I mean, if you disrespect soldiers and veterans, you kind of come across as a bit of a jerk (since they do dangerous work). Thus, to completely avoid the appearance of disrespect, you swing in the complete opposite direction and make it seem like they're the bee's knees. I see this a bit with the elderly as well.

That's my theory at least.

As for me - 'shrugs'. I do have a slight intrinsic respect for soldiers, firefighters, and police officers since they made a choice to do a dangerous job. However, I also acknowledge that it was indeed a choice. It's not as though they were forced into it or anything. Thus, while I do have an intrinsic respect, I respect them about as much as I respect those guys who go out and repair telephone wires or deal with dangerous animals.

But that's just me, of course.
Sogno- 
47243 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / SC
Offline
Posted 8/6/15 , edited 8/6/15
Worship? No. Respect? Yes. Same goes for anyone putting their lives on the line, like our firefighters, police force, etc etc. Can jerks still be in those positions? Yeah, and? Jerks are everywhere.

And I don't know how respecting the military has anything to do with those suffering from PTSD. Isn't that why we should respect them, because not only did they put their life on their line but also their sanity? Shouldn't we find ways to help them rather than asking these kinds of questions?


megahobbit wrote:


Dariamus wrote:


megahobbit wrote:

I have buddies in the military so I may be a bit biased here but I got little respect for the military and there love of bucking up on new tech to kill people with. My friends has told me stories about his experience in boot camp and how they train soldiers in to effectively lose there empathy and how the command looks the other way when soldiers fight attack each other telling them to "deal with there own problems". Its a system that encourages people to become heartless killers.


That is very different from my experience in the military.



Yeah my buddy just signed up last year. I think it may just be wear hes getting trained(down south) but he says theres alot of nutters there.


it's totally because he's in the south and there's only nutters in the south because the south is awful and horrendous and everywhere else is much better and there's definitely no crazy people elsewhere

20562 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Online
Posted 8/6/15 , edited 8/6/15
I served for 25 years and never once asked to be worshiped and I don't care if a bunch of Gen-X or Millennials respect me when they can barely respect themselves
11505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/6/15

WitlessMean wrote:

You guys are so quick to say "they go to the military to protect people and put their lives on the line" when the truth is, many of them, I'd even dare say most of them, do not go for that reason. Many of them go because they literally don't know what else to do, didn't do well in school and military(army prob) seems like a good choice. Many of them just need the money, or really want the respect, or want to turn their lives around. Some of them want the travel and the excitement.

Very many of them go to the military for selfish reasons. While they do, much of the time END UP putting their lives on the line, many of them don't wish to actually do that. I'm speaking for many of my military friends here.

I will say though, I know a few people who take huge pride and responsibility in what they do in the military and really are trying to "protect the country". I respect those people, but only after I've gotten to know them. I'm just saying, a lot of people go to the military with the "it's not going to happen to me" mindset. Many of them get over that while they're in the military, and then command respect.


I don't think it matters what mindset you had going in, but what you end up going through and how you react to it. THIS DOESNT APPLY TO EVERYTHING LOL. Just the military for now. Let's say Soldier A joins for self-discipline, and to get $$$ retirement. Soldier B joins for defending the good 'ol U.S. of AAAAAAASs. Soldier A and Soldier B have to go through intense boot camping, and then get stationed overseas, where they both exert an effort and receive exemplary marks. I think they both deserve an almost equal level of respect. They both went through the effort of saving our country, sacrificed their free time and lives.

But, people join the military for a healty variety of reasons. Money is not so bad a reason. For example, the military will pay your college and grad tuition. In exchange you just have to serve a few years as some sort of high-level commander. I mean, with all the bs tuition out there, what, would you rather work for 5 years, earning like $20k a year, to save up for college, which might end up being $120-$180k, or would you rather spend those 5 years in the military, getting buff, becoming disciplined, traveling the world, and have 0 loans at all (so your income is basically $180k+.) OH AND PLUS, you get to go straight form HS to college to grad school without paying tuition... and THEN you serve 5 years in the military DOING your chosen profession (so it's like an internship). It's really a win-win.

THat said, I don't want that to sound like an ad for joining the military :D. If you have the money to pay for college, do that instead.

But whether they're military doctors, lawyers, or soldiers -- they all deserve your respect no matter what their motivations are. They all served their time, they all sacrificed. And some of htem even went to war. We're always at war, you could be stationed at the DMZ of NKorea, you could be stationed somewhere in the middle east. We're always fighting some idiots.
Posted 8/6/15 , edited 8/6/15
It's just something deeply ingrained in western culture, along with religion, guns, and drinking. It will continue to be as such. One of the things each person does at a certain age is begin thinking for themselves, what they are for and against, and the kind of example they make for future generations, if any at all.

To answer OP, its up to individuals to follow tradition or not.
27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 8/6/15

biscuitnote wrote:


woodygirl97 wrote:



Especially in the Usa, we violated your women, killed your innocent and burned your buildings. I haven't done much study on the red coats.


We also kicked you out




Damn straight.


Coincidentally, kinda answers the topic, eh?
20695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Kansas
Offline
Posted 8/6/15 , edited 8/7/15
Personally, it makes me sick whenever I see people put the military on a pedestal.
I mean, back in WWII, maybe it was heroic. Vietnam wasn't, but a lot of folk got drafted and had no choice. And since, a lot of people signed up for the GI Bill. Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do, I guess, but I refuse to view it as something noble.
Everyone should know by now that the US has fought no just wars for decades. The current job description for military is "Murder muslims to protect US oil interests."
Honestly, I'm not angry at the soldiers. Father forgive them, for they know not what they do. Kids grow up these days with the whole videogame industry, under the ESA, in turn under the CIA, intentionally pushing military shooters down their throat, often successfully indoctrinating them into the idea that war is cool & fun. I do not worship nor hate these people. Rather, I pity these "disposable heroes" as Metallica called them.

On a related note, I used to live near a park that had decommissioned naval cannons in it. It occurred to me once, that parents were letting their small children play on objects which were likely used to kill large numbers of people. The scene of the normal, happy family seemingly oblivious to the instrument of death suddenly appeared intensely surreal to me. Has anyone else seen military themed public parks experienced this?
11786 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24
Offline
Posted 8/6/15

anzn wrote:

I know they do so a lot here, in America.

Everyone who is in the military is automatically seen as some kinda hero.

Sometimes I feel people who wanna think people in the military are all heroes because it makes people feel better/safe & red, white and blue.
But I honestly think that does nothing to the people who already suffer from PTSD and life long injuries from war.

Your thoughts?


I don't believe that's true. Being in the military or being a veteran makes people (in my experience):

Assume you're crazy.
Think you have nothing in common, so they don't talk to you much
"That's so cool, how many people have you killed?" questions
Flat out hate and other stereotypical insults.
Some people will shake your hand and thank you.

The only people who really care, will be employers, who see leadership skills and discipline as an asset, or ones who don't like military and won't even call you in. That and other active or military vets get along with you well, usually.

It is a job, and different circumstances bring people to it different ways. Most people can't do it, or don't agree with it, or many other reasons. It's scary swearing to give everything up to and including your life, but the benefits and doors it opens are amazing, if you know where to look. Besides, an office job was never for me.
17329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 8/6/15
Soldiers are trained to kill the enemies of their governments and defend said country from attack in exchange for money. Everything else is window dressing nothing more nothing less.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.