First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
An unarmed white teen was shot dead...
4013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Abyss
Offline
Posted 8/6/15



I am glad. I always try to bring up as much to the table, whether it is my side or not. You did a pretty good job bringing up the other side, so I figured all I needed to do was bring my own.

It just makes me really sad that statistics can be abused so easily. With a simple variable chance, you can get it to say whatever you want. That is why I sometimes spend hours on end trying to account for all the variables and then composing them into a semi coherent structure.
Posted 8/6/15 , edited 8/6/15
Probably living in the "hood", no?
5619 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 8/6/15 , edited 8/6/15
Huge problems with threads are like these are, people are uneducated on the issue or people shove their opinions down someones throat. Any form of logic or fact will never appease the masses. Of course the in Law Enforcement in the US needs a tighter leash on lethal force. That should be the main issue, but instead everyone loves to focus on Race because they love drama.
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 8/6/15

Krazylegz26 wrote:

Huge problems with threads are like these are, people are uneducated on the issue or people shove their opinions down someones throat. Any form of logic or fact will never appease the masses. Of course the in Law Enforcement in the US needs a tighter leash on lethal force. That should be the main issue, but instead everyone loves to focus on Race because they love drama.


What would you say if some piece of legislature was passed which did put a tighter leash on lethal force and you saw a statistically significant rise in officers killed on the job?
1495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / CS Colorado
Offline
Posted 8/6/15 , edited 8/6/15


And your no better for posting here X3

There's no point in complaining, its here, join the discussion and give your opinion or just ignore it...

And news programs do prefer to show the deaths of minorities as they have to reach out to the ENTIRE audience, including people who care more about minority deaths, its wrong, but that's there attempt at making money

Posted 8/6/15

sundin13 wrote:


anzn wrote:
Thats not likeliness.

That's just deaths/kills. And since white people make up 73%, that's kinda expected.
Murders though? It does not say.

Which is what y'all don't ever think about/put into thought either.


If I have a run in with the police, the statistics indicate that it is more likely that I would be shot than a black individual. The reason the statistics seem skewed to you is because black individuals are more likely to have run ins with the police (a symptom of class, not race).

Anyways, I don't believe there are any statistics which discuss wrongful shootings and exposure bias makes it impossible to make an assumption about that. However, logic would indicate that the factors leading to more shootings involving white individuals, most notably the lower amount of police training outside of high crime areas, would lead to a greater instance of wrongful shootings involving white individuals as well...


anzn wrote:

Why people need to stop saying #AllLivesMatter

Thx reddit user GeekAesthete.


It would be more like you were a black individual at a white friend's house, having dinner with their family and you realized that they were out of rolls, so you said "Black people should get their fair share" and everybody looked at you like "why the fuck are you making this a race issue?"

Yeah they are???? Black men are 21 times more like to be killed by police than your average white person???
Do you think all black people in prison went in there in their own will or..?

Honestly, this is what mean when you don't put common sense/logic into anything.

Do not tell me it's about class. Because black celebrities, rich black folk, and black folk that aren't like lower class, are still accused/arrested for "looking suspicious" (aka, being black).

No it doesn't.
Like, at all.
That literally makes 0 sense.
20695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Kansas
Offline
Posted 8/6/15
Seriously, get rid of the race filter. "Cop kills unarmed teen"
Yeah, that sucks, and it happens to often.
When everyone wants to look at race related statistics and such...
This is divide and conquer. It benefits the elite for the proletariat to fight amongst themselves. Rise above that.
Posted 8/6/15 , edited 8/6/15

Dark_Alma wrote:
Someone didn't read the article. All of what you stated has been accounted for. Read all my sources, word for word before judging please.

I seen those links like a million times from people like you. Especially the same exact link, because all you gotta do is good "white people killed by police" and bias articles come up. I'm not gonna read that horseshit again.
Again, I don't eat up that shit like you guys do just cuz it's in your favor, also throw common sense/knowledge/logic out the fucking window.

cleruninja wrote:

Seriously, get rid of the race filter. "Cop kills unarmed teen"
Yeah, that sucks, and it happens to often.
When everyone wants to look at race related statistics and such...
This is divide and conquer. It benefits the elite for the proletariat to fight amongst themselves. Rise above that.

It's mean to create propaganda & also bring attention.

Which is why you shouldn't read & just ignore crap like this tbh if you legitimate care about issues like this.
7547 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 8/6/15
11707 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 8/6/15
What does the white part have to do with anything?
14916 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 8/6/15

Krazylegz26 wrote:

Of course the in Law Enforcement in the US needs a tighter leash on lethal force.


When you've had experience in life threatening combat situations (ie. You are current or former military or police), only then will you know what you're talking about.

It's very easy to approach this, or any situation, after it happens and analyze it. When it is occurring, however, that's totally different. No amount of training will ever fully prepare you as there are numerous factors, such as the officer's physical exhaustion, that need to be accounted for.

If you ban officers from using lethal force, not only will there be a lot more cop deaths, but there's going to be a lot more crime. No officer is going to go out on the street if you tell him or her that they're unable to protect themself with deadly force, if necessary.
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 8/6/15

anzn wrote:

Yeah they are???? Black men are 21 times more like to be killed by police than your average white person???
Do you think all black people in prison went in there in their own will or..?

Honestly, this is what mean when you don't put common sense/logic into anything.

Do not tell me it's about class. Because black celebrities, rich black folk, and black folk that aren't like lower class, are still accused/arrested for "looking suspicious" (aka, being black).

No it doesn't.
Like, at all.
That literally makes 0 sense.


Typically people who go to prison commit a little thing called crimes, so in a way, yeah, its by their own will.

Also, there is a pretty big difference between being accused of "looking suspicious" and being shot. However, there are some prejudices which largely stem from experience which have unfortunately created an amount of bias in certain people's minds. Unfortunately theres not really much that can be done about this other than helping to improve upward economic mobility which I have been advocating for a while now.
Posted 8/6/15 , edited 8/6/15

Glad you brought that up before I did.
That is an important part, imo, with police brutality among black men.

When teenagers, and even kids from the ages of 7-12, they would call them "men" when talking about them.
Like Tamir Rice. He was 12 years old, yet parts of media still referred to him has a man.

This is what I mean when stuff like that makes it much easier to create propaganda. Also, make it easier to justify their deaths.

K3n21 wrote:

What does the white part have to do with anything?



anzn wrote:
It's mean to create propaganda & also bring attention.

Which is why you shouldn't read & just ignore crap like this tbh if you legitimate care about issues like this.

:/
36990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 8/6/15
Public outrage isn't going to dictate the law. If there's evidence that runs contrary to the officer's statements and that he was killed without cause. Then there will be justice. If there isn't, then there won't be.

I see the hypocrisy and the point that's being made here. But I would question the wisdom of ever actually seeking out the kind of destructive outrage we've seen this last year in other cases. All that has accomplished is the destruction of property and a deeper racial divide. If anything, this case should be used to set a precedent for how others need to behave.
6756 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 8/6/15 , edited 8/6/15



No one's calling me a race baiter as I defend #ZacharyHammond's name but they have plenty to say when I defend a Black man murdered by cops.

— #JusticeForSandra [email protected]

The fact that the #AllLivesMatter folks are quiet about #ZacharyHammond only proves its a slogan and poor attempt to stifle a movement.

— Pete Haviland-Eduah [email protected]

#ZacharyHammond isn't going to get the outrage he deserves because it would force folks to admit their consistent defense of police is wrong

— jamilah (@JamilahLemieux) August 3, 2015


Nailed, nailed, and nailed it.

As long as police brutality gets treated as a Black exclusive issue by the media, you'll have white knights and counter movements like #AllLivesMatter derailing and perverting the problem to try to undermine it as typical Black "victimization" though race profiling is just part of the larger issue.

That's why Zachary's story and others like his will met with silence not just from the media but the keyboard warriors that typically jump on these issues when a Black person is involved. Not because "only Black lives matter" but because for some reason brutality needs to be scrutinized and debated every time it's a Black life involved.


cleruninja wrote:
This is divide and conquer. It benefits the elite for the proletariat to fight amongst themselves. Rise above that.


Precisely.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.