First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply LGBT in football
42153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Newcastle, UK
Offline
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/8/15
This is insane. Honest to goodness stupidity of the highest level disguised as an attempt at enlightened thinking. Reported in the press today (in the UK), the LGBT community (Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans) kicked off a bit stating that they needed better representation within the football grounds in Britain. They complained that they weren't getting recognition or support from certain clubs, and that efforts should be made to make the LGBT community more welcome and accepted within the footballing community. The BBC has kicked up a bit of a fuss, proclaiming a denial of rights yadayadayadayada....

Utter Bollocks.

Utter, utter bollocks.

Horseshit of the highest calibre, I can't denounce this enough.

Football is about supporting your team. You see that little dot after the word team? Its a full stop. A fan supports his team. Who the hell gives a fuck what you do after the 90 minutes is played on the pitch? Football is not about politics, its not about race, its not about religion and its not about sexuality. Its about fucking football. You support your team during those 90 minutes, and everybody around you, regardless of all the above, supports the team alongside you. "Lets fly a rainbow flag in a certain section of the ground so people of our orientation can gather to support our team behind our beliefs..." That's segregation, you muppets. There should only ever be 2 sections of a sports stadium, home and away.

Damn, I can't believe how annoyed this has made me.

Am I alone in believing this?!!!!!
14233 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/7/15

kapulya wrote:


Am I alone in believing this?!!!!!


Nope, it's pretty stupid.
1606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Earth
Offline
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/8/15
There should be no problem unless a team comes out against LGBT rights.
17189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/8/15
That's not at all like segregation. I think you are unnecessarily annoyed with this. Homophobia seems to be a common culture in athletic sports. Which is why players often get backlash even from teammates after coming out. Why wouldn't gay players want to reach out to their gay fans? Practically all forms of media, entertainment is dominated by straight people, a little representation is definitely not going to "segregate" straight people.
82916 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / WA
Offline
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/7/15
It's about football - keep your private life ...private.
Posted 8/7/15
Wait so not all Football players are straight???

What is this
42153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Newcastle, UK
Offline
Posted 8/7/15
"Gay players reach out to gay fans?"
Why not catholic players reach out to catholic fans?
Black players reach out to black fans?
Left footed players reach out to left footed fans?

Seriously?!

I'm sorry, but I'm sticking to my guns here, there is absolutely no reason in sports for any type of differences when it comes to fans. Ypu support the same team, and that's it.

There shouldn't be anything else.

Unnecessarily annoyed? I disagree.
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/8/15
In all seriousness though, I think there should be more LGBT representation in sports in general...or just everything in general.

Representation matters.

More representation for certain people will change their thoughts of them, get rid of the harmful stereotypes towards them, and overall, give them more respect.

Gay men being in sports teams will probably get rid of the "gay men are sissy/girly & weak" stereotype they have going on (that I can't believe people legitimately still think tbh).
Which is quite harmful towards them.
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/8/15

kapulya wrote:

"Gay players reach out to gay fans?"
Why not catholic players reach out to catholic fans?
Black players reach out to black fans?
Left footed players reach out to left footed fans?

Seriously?!

I'm sorry, but I'm sticking to my guns here, there is absolutely no reason in sports for any type of differences when it comes to fans. Ypu support the same team, and that's it.

There shouldn't be anything else.

Unnecessarily annoyed? I disagree.

I honestly don't see whats wrong with them demanding for recognition. Seriously, what's wrong with that?
The only real downside to that is homophobic fans probably realizing there favorite football player is gay then will probably throw a fit or deny the fact that they're gay.
Because homophobes are more immature than a kid imo.

FlyinDumpling wrote:

That's not at all like segregation. I think you are unnecessarily annoyed with this. Homophobia seems to be a common culture in athletic sports. Which is why players often get backlash even from teammates after coming out. Why wouldn't gay players want to reach out to their gay fans? Practically all forms of media, entertainment is dominated by straight people, a little representation is definitely not going to "segregate" straight people.

It's 2015 why do people over 15 years of age still think stupid shit like this
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/7/15

They complained that they weren't getting recognition or support from certain clubs

Can you explain this part a bit more?
19120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/7/15

kapulya wrote:
Football is about supporting your team. You see that little dot after the word team? Its a full stop. A fan supports his team. Who the hell gives a fuck what you do after the 90 minutes is played on the pitch? Football is not about politics, its not about race, its not about religion and its not about sexuality. Its about fucking football. You support your team during those 90 minutes, and everybody around you, regardless of all the above, supports the team alongside you.


Exactly this.
42153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Newcastle, UK
Offline
Posted 8/7/15
Because the demand for recognition is a request for social acceptance.

There shouldn't be a need for that in sports.

Fans are united in their support for a team. All other differences are forgotten, all other issues, however briefly are put aside.

This is a very rare thing in today's world, and I feel that the request for differential treatment, the request for a group of people to be singled out as anything other than a fan, can only be detrimental.

6936 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Portland, OR
Offline
Posted 8/7/15
I assumed a good majority of football players were LGBT, have you seen some of their hair styles? Fabulous.
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/7/15

kapulya wrote:

Because the demand for recognition is a request for social acceptance.

There shouldn't be a need for that in sports.

Fans are united in their support for a team. All other differences are forgotten, all other issues, however briefly are put aside.

This is a very rare thing in today's world, and I feel that the request for differential treatment, the request for a group of people to be singled out as anything other than a fan, can only be detrimental.



I'm a little confused what they're asking for or what they're complaining about since I don't watch sports. They're asking for official clubs specifically for LGBT fans right? What would this club allow them to do? What other types of clubs are there?
Posted 8/7/15

kapulya wrote:

Because the demand for recognition is a request for social acceptance.

There shouldn't be a need for that in sports.

Fans are united in their support for a team. All other differences are forgotten, all other issues, however briefly are put aside.

This is a very rare thing in today's world, and I feel that the request for differential treatment, the request for a group of people to be singled out as anything other than a fan, can only be detrimental.


Is that supposed to be a bad thing?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.