First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply LGBT in football
13618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Australia
Offline
Posted 8/7/15
When I watch sports I expect competitive play centred around that sport not some exotic display of sexuality. Leave all this heavy baggage outside the field.
42153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Newcastle, UK
Offline
Posted 8/7/15
PrinceJudar - Not sure if I'm able to print links in this, google BBC LGBT Football... I heard this on the radio into work this morning and got so frustrated, hence the diatribe!
42153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Newcastle, UK
Offline
Posted 8/7/15

anzn wrote:


kapulya wrote:

Because the demand for recognition is a request for social acceptance.

There shouldn't be a need for that in sports.

Fans are united in their support for a team. All other differences are forgotten, all other issues, however briefly are put aside.

This is a very rare thing in today's world, and I feel that the request for differential treatment, the request for a group of people to be singled out as anything other than a fan, can only be detrimental.


Is that supposed to be a bad thing?


Yes. You don't need to request something that is already accepted.
Sogno- 
45726 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 8/7/15
i honestly know very little about or even care about sports but when it is Olympics time i'm standing here shoutin at my screen for my country to win and i don't give a wiff at what race they are or what gender they think they are or who they like ... i just want them to win. or at least give it their best shot and show the world what their country's made of

so i don't see how football or any other sport would be any different..
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Online
Posted 8/7/15
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33760649/footballs-lgbt-fans-want-more-help-from-clubs

Soooo


In most cases supporters' groups of any kind are formed by fans approaching a club and demonstrating there's a need for one.


It seems harmless to me. I get what you're thinking, but it doesn't sound like forced representation. It's not 'gay football players wear rainbow uniforms' or 'football teams need to recruit more gay players'. Doesn't sound anything like that. It seems like a regular 'ol support group.
Posted 8/7/15

kapulya wrote:


anzn wrote:


kapulya wrote:

Because the demand for recognition is a request for social acceptance.

There shouldn't be a need for that in sports.

Fans are united in their support for a team. All other differences are forgotten, all other issues, however briefly are put aside.

This is a very rare thing in today's world, and I feel that the request for differential treatment, the request for a group of people to be singled out as anything other than a fan, can only be detrimental.


Is that supposed to be a bad thing?


Yes. You don't need to request something that is already accepted.

Clearly it isn't if you feel that it shouldn't be needed in sports.
17189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 8/7/15

kapulya wrote:

"Gay players reach out to gay fans?"
Why not catholic players reach out to catholic fans?
Black players reach out to black fans?
Left footed players reach out to left footed fans?

Seriously?!

I'm sorry, but I'm sticking to my guns here, there is absolutely no reason in sports for any type of differences when it comes to fans. Ypu support the same team, and that's it.

There shouldn't be anything else.

Unnecessarily annoyed? I disagree.
Well the next time there is a wide spread stigma against catholic and left footed players, then maybe they will need their own flag. Since being gay has nothing to do with sports, can't that also be applied to practically every field?. Isn't that a reason that people will use to deter gay representation in any field? I don't know about you but to say there should only be representation in "lgbt" industries is the opposite of representation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTeRxu2r2uQ
Posted 8/7/15
*straight people voice* I don't like it when gays do this its forcing their gayness onto me.
42153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Newcastle, UK
Offline
Posted 8/7/15

PrinceJudar wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33760649/footballs-lgbt-fans-want-more-help-from-clubs

Soooo


In most cases supporters' groups of any kind are formed by fans approaching a club and demonstrating there's a need for one.


It seems harmless to me. I get what you're thinking, but it doesn't sound like forced representation. It's not 'gay football players wear rainbow uniforms' or 'football teams need to recruit more gay players'. Doesn't sound anything like that. It seems like a regular 'ol support group.


It's probably just the british press... The BBC sent letters to every club demanding a response, then made a big deal on the radio about how only 2 clubs out of 20 clubs originally responded, lambasting FIFA and all associated with possible homophobia...

Which was possibly true to the letter but most likely conjecture at best...

"It seems like a regular 'ol support group"

And that's my point... It's not a big deal, and it shouldn't be a big deal, it shouldn't be any kind of deal, the dream of sports is the team, not the individual fan or player, the only thing that should matter is the communal belief and hope that your team is better than theirs...
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Online
Posted 8/7/15

anzn wrote:


kapulya wrote:

Yes. You don't need to request something that is already accepted.

Clearly it isn't if you feel that it shouldn't be needed in sports.


Don't take him wrongly. He's saying football fans normally already accept such things. "You're gay?" "Yeah" "Cool-OH DOWN THE FIELD"

Honestly if anything, that's a good sign he feels that way. Not a bad thing at all.
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/7/15

PrinceJudar wrote:


anzn wrote:


kapulya wrote:

Yes. You don't need to request something that is already accepted.

Clearly it isn't if you feel that it shouldn't be needed in sports.


Don't take him wrongly. He's saying football fans normally already accept such things. "You're gay?" "Yeah" "Cool-OH DOWN THE FIELD"

Honestly if anything, that's a good sign he feels that way. Not a bad thing at all.

If they already "accept" these things then they wouldn't have a problem with it :/

Straight people can show the world they're straight but gay folk can't?
42153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Newcastle, UK
Offline
Posted 8/7/15

anzn wrote:


PrinceJudar wrote:


anzn wrote:


kapulya wrote:

Yes. You don't need to request something that is already accepted.

Clearly it isn't if you feel that it shouldn't be needed in sports.


Don't take him wrongly. He's saying football fans normally already accept such things. "You're gay?" "Yeah" "Cool-OH DOWN THE FIELD"

Honestly if anything, that's a good sign he feels that way. Not a bad thing at all.

If they already "accept" these things then they wouldn't have a problem with it :/

Straight people can show the world they're straight but gay folk can't?


Umm, PrinceJudar is correct. The whole point of this discussion from my viewpoint was that nobody cares what sexuality/race/religion anybody is, in sports its all about who you support... You've possibly misinterpreted what I meant, which in its own sad little way indites precisely what I've been trying to get across...
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Online
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/7/15

anzn wrote:

If they already "accept" these things then they wouldn't have a problem with it :/

Straight people can show the world they're straight but gay folk can't?


It's not that they do, generally. Though I don't know what the channels are for official support groups and whatnot and what it involves, the reasoning could be something utterly different.

It's not that gay folk can't go to a football game and be obviously gay or group together and get rainbow banners lol. He's saying it shouldn't matter this much because they don't have to prove anything to football fans already as they're generally accepted. It's not a 'i hate gay people and don't want to see them being gay' and more 'bro what you doin' over there? Just come over here drink beer and watch the damn game with us'.

Don't take what he's saying as homophobic, when it's quite obviously the opposite. He's saying they have nothing to prove, which is a good thing to hear.
42153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Newcastle, UK
Offline
Posted 8/7/15
bingo
35035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/7/15
Aren't we talking about the sport which is plagued with hooliganism (up to and including street violence and invasions of the pitch by the crowd), and which is headed up by an institution which has been known to not only muscle host nations into altering their domestic legislation to suit sponsors' demands, but also just recently entered into a horrendously embarrassing scandal surrounding its upper echelons' bribe taking and money laundering which ultimately lead to resignations at the pinnacle?

I'm sympathetic to the idea that good sportsmanship ought to be the rule, and that differences of all sorts should be put aside for the love of the game. That is not and has never been, however, the reality of the matter. And I have sincerest doubts it ever will be.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.