First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply LGBT in football
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/7/15

PrinceJudar wrote:


anzn wrote:

Then what is he saying?


He is saying he doesn't see any difference between normal fans and gay fans and they're all just fans no matter what they're wearing, what they believe in or what they're sexuality is. He's saying he doesn't understand the need they have to prove themselves when he feels they're already generally accepted as one of their own. You can call him naive, but don't accuse him of not liking gays or something.

I know.
And I'm saying, whats the problem with that anyway? He can still think like that & enjoy his game when they do acknowledge their gay fans, talk about their sexuality, or basically mentioning anything about themselves or their fans.
Why does that upset him so much?
It aint gonna do anything to his precious football team/game.

If you care about the game/the team, why would this decision upset you so much to the point you think of it as segregation? lol
35064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/7/15

anzn wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

Can people not see what I am seeing? He literally described flying a rainbow flag as segregation........against non-lgbt.........straight people.

I see that.


I don't think he meant it that way. I think he meant that doing so divides the crowd into more categories than which club they're cheering for, and that this is a bad thing. He just didn't say it especially gracefully.
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/7/15

BlueOni wrote:
I don't think he meant it that way. I think he meant that doing so divides the crowd into more categories than which club they're cheering for, and that this is a bad thing. He just didn't say it especially gracefully.

People who think of that as segregation are the reason it'll divide the crowd into more categories tbh.
22673 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/7/15

BlueOni wrote:

I'll take a compliment. Thank you very much.


And you should!


BlueOni wrote:

I don't think he meant it that way. I think he meant that doing so divides the crowd into more categories than which club they're cheering for, and that this is a bad thing. He just didn't say it especially gracefully.


Yeah, that's why I had to ask a couple questions first. Pays to understand before getting out the knives and such.


35064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/7/15

anzn wrote:

People who think of that as segregation are the reason it'll divide the crowd into more categories tbh.


Perhaps, but if you boil his statements down to their essence what he's really going for is that he'd rather everyone in attendance debate various clubs' and players' merits and demerits rather than matters such as sexual orientation or gender identity. I'm certainly not against celebrating an LGB player's orientation or a T player's gender identity/presentation (quite the opposite, this is part of their status as role models), but I can see how arguments about the matter breaking out would take away from enjoyment of the game.

Still, I think the argument that a sacred sport is being corrupted by social issues which are central to players' and audience members' lives coming to the fore and receiving celebration is a mistaken opinion even if one does consider such a thing to be corrupting. As I pointed out, football is a sport which has an extensive history of corruption and violence, and so isn't nearly as sacred as it ideally would be.
Posted 8/7/15
It's about the sport, not the player's sexuality, so I don't think representation matters in this context because... You're not there to care about who they want to fuck, you're there to care about them playing. Now, if this issue is actually an issue that LGBT athletes are being abused behind doors by teammates or so on and want that stopped, then obviously, this should be taken care of and handled. But if it's a matter of them announcing their sexuality? Don't really see why it matters, for any sexuality. I think it's stupid that heterosexuals get to flaunt what they are everywhere and shove it into everything, especially when that comes to sports cause... Who cares about that, I'm there to watch you kick the ball into the net.
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/7/15
Tbh complaining about this is just as dumb as complaining that your bacon is touching your eggs.
Move the bacon away from the eggs instead of complaining to enjoy your breakfast.

Ignore the the waving of the rainbow flag when a football team enters instead of complaining to enjoy your game.
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/7/15

BlueOni wrote:


anzn wrote:

People who think of that as segregation are the reason it'll divide the crowd into more categories tbh.


Perhaps, but if you boil his statements down to their essence what he's really going for is that he'd rather everyone in attendance debate various clubs' and players' merits and demerits rather than matters such as sexual orientation or gender identity. I'm certainly not against celebrating an LGB player's orientation or a T player's gender identity/presentation (quite the opposite, this is part of their status as role models), but I can see how arguments about the matter breaking out would take away from enjoyment of the game.

Still, I think the argument that a sacred sport is being corrupted by social issues which are central to players' and audience members' lives coming to the fore and receiving celebration is a mistaken opinion even if one does consider such a thing to be corrupting. As I pointed out, football is a sport which has an extensive history of corruption and violence, and so isn't nearly as sacred as it ideally would be.

"Corrupted by social issues"

It's only "corrupted by social issues" if people continue to think it's "being corrupted by social issues".
This guy also said earlier LGBT are generally accepted as well? If that was true, then is shouldn't be "corrupted" anyway right?

Idk. I feel they just wanna continue to cater to the non-LGBT fans of sports who feel thats segregation if they feel they shouldn't allow teams to do that.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 8/7/15
There should be more LGBT representation in sports especially given how homophobic the culture is.
35064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/7/15

anzn wrote:

"Corrupted by social issues"

It's only "corrupted by social issues" if people continue to think it's "being corrupted by social issues".
This guy also said earlier LGBT are generally accepted as well? If that was true, then is shouldn't be "corrupted" anyway right?


One would think not, but it's not my case to make.


Idk. I feel they just wanna continue to cater to the non-LGBT fans of sports who feel thats segregation if they feel they shouldn't allow teams to do that.


I've given my understanding of his motives as best I can assemble them. He was clearly emotionally compromised, so I'd grant him the opportunity to clarify his precise meaning or modify his stance if he feels the need to do so.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/8/15
You know what, I'm pretty sure when I am talking about something with someone, I don't care who they are having sex with unless it's me. And since we are talking about something other than sex, why does that even come up.

I've worked with people for over 7 years, the topic of marriage and kids hasn't even really even come up, other than "Oh hey VZ, you married?"

"nope"

Who or what I fuck has never come up in that fucking time. Anyone want to talk about freaky shit, sure, let's do it, that's fuckin' cool, but let's not discuss this shit when we are talking about something else. Unless we are gonna fuck.
Posted 8/7/15
The idea that raising GLBT acceptance would impinge on the integrity of the game or diminish focus on the sport itself, depends to me how it's handled.

With care and sensitivity on both sides.

How isn't my call or expertise.
4315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Arizona
Offline
Posted 8/7/15

anzn wrote:


PrinceJudar wrote:

It's not that they do, generally. Though I don't know what the channels are for official support groups and whatnot and what it involves, the reasoning could be something utterly different.

It's not that gay folk can't go to a football game and be obviously gay or group together and get rainbow banners lol. He's saying it shouldn't matter this much because they don't have to prove anything to football fans already as they're generally accepted. It's not a 'i hate gay people and don't want to see them being gay' and more 'bro what you doin' over there? Just come over here drink beer and watch the damn game with us'.

Don't take what he's saying as homophobic, when it's quite obviously the opposite. He's saying they have nothing to prove, which is a good thing to hear.

Not what I was saying.

I just see no reason whatsoever to object to it. What's wrong with mentioning you're gay to your audience? Like, what harsh penalty is there if someone says they're gay? (Besides they themselves possibly being hated by some people for it?)

It's not "segregating" or w/e bullshit. It's simply them talking about themselves, representing themselves, not the fucking team or the sport itself??


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3h6es6zh1c
Your sexuality shouldn't matter if your rooting during a game no one gives a crap.
I don't go to concerts and make sure everyone knows I'm straight.
4375 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Rainbow Factory
Offline
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/7/15


I also declare this section of bleachers for ponies. (Raises Unicorn standard)
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.