First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Stonewall Movie Leaves Out Trans Women and Black Drag Queens Who Started The Movement
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/7/15

Watching history repeat itself before your very eyes can be a bit taxing. Just like how they are often relegated to the sidelines of the movement they helped start, in the new movie Stonewall, Trans Women and Drag queens and persons of color are being all but written out of history.

Quick history lesson: The Stonewall riots were a series of violent protests against the police by the LGBT+ community in New York in 1969. Many cite the Stonewall Riots as the single most important event that led to the LGBT+ liberation movement in America, and the foundation upon which all modern LGBT+ rights are founded.

With the release of the trailer, there is some level of controversy regarding director Roland Emmerich’s version of historical events.

The trailer, claims to be a ‘true story’, and tells the audience that a young, white, cisgender, gay man was the first to throw a brick and start the Stonewall Riots. In reality, hundreds of eye witness accounts and documented evidence have said the riots were started by black drag queens and transgender women.

The two people most credited with sparking the riots and paving the way for modern LGBT+ rights were Marsha P.Johnson, a black transwoman who performed as a drag queen, and Silvia Rivera, puerto rican transgender woman. These two people, who are universally recognized as starting the riots, take a back seat in to the "pretty white boy" who comes to save the day.

http://www.aazah.com/articles/whitewashing-history-stonewall-movie-leaves-out-trans-women-and-black-drag-queens-who#.VcVbG_lVikr

Here's the trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vmeZx2TPaQ

I hate when movies do this.
Danny Winters isn't even a real person either...like wow...
6293 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / *echo sound effec...
Offline
Posted 8/7/15
Probably to create less controversy/not have as much hate from transphobics and racists as well as homophobes... and you know, make it seem like white males are always the hero(what you said in the description of the thread).
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/7/15

Dabossman26 wrote:

Probably to create less controversy/not have as much hate from transphobics and racists as well as homophobes... and you know, make it seem like white males are always the hero(what you said in the description of the thread).

Ofc.

But they might as well not even make the movie at all tbh. Transphobes, homophobes and/or racists are still gonna hate this movie, like how they hated the Stonewall Riots itself.

It's a completely missed opportunity to give some good representation for transgenders and transgenders of color imo.

I hope this movie completely bombs.
75434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 8/7/15
They Call this "Pinkwashing" and it still goes on. The L and G are not always fair nor kind to the BT+
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 8/7/15
Its pretty bad that they are leaving out Trans and POC but I do think overall I think its good that this film is immortalizing event that is so culturally important yet is never taught in schools. I do think it is horrible that trans and POC are erased from history so much. So many punk fans have no idea who Jayne County(trans protopunk singer who participated in Stonewall) is and how influential she is on punk essentially being a bridge between the Warhol factory scene and CBGBs.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/7/15

Dabossman26 wrote:


The guy probably wanted to make the movie to seem like a good person in the LGBT+ community by making the movie in the first place so that his other movies/next movies are more popular. And yeah, it did miss a great opportunity. Either go by what happened or don't do it at all.


The Director Roland Emmerich is openly gay I dont think hes doing this to gain favor in the LGBT community as you suggest.
6293 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / *echo sound effec...
Offline
Posted 8/7/15

megahobbit wrote:


Dabossman26 wrote:


The guy probably wanted to make the movie to seem like a good person in the LGBT+ community by making the movie in the first place so that his other movies/next movies are more popular. And yeah, it did miss a great opportunity. Either go by what happened or don't do it at all.


The Director Roland Emmerich is openly gay I dont think hes doing this to gain favor in the LGBT community as you suggest.


Thank you for the info. Sorry for the ignorance! Should I delete the message or keep it for others who think that way? I still don't see why he wouldn't make the film more accurate...
35064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/7/15
That's bad and everything, but I think the author stretches a little thin with the whole "all but written out of history" line. We're talking about their exclusion and role in the events right now. This sort of thing isn't even really unique to LGBT peoples' history, either. Anyone remember this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_Harbor_%28film%29

Or this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_Adams_%28film%29

Film making is a fallible process. I'll dock the film points for its failure to account for important history, but I'd still see it and I think the author is being a pinch over the top.
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/7/15

BlueOni wrote:

That's bad and everything, but I think the author stretches a little thin with the whole "all but written out of history" line. We're talking about their exclusion and role in the events right now. This sort of thing isn't even really unique to LGBT peoples' history, either. Anyone remember this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_Harbor_%28film%29

Or this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_Adams_%28film%29

Film making is a fallible process. I'll dock the film points for its failure to account for important history, but I'd still see it and I think the author is being a pinch over the top.

Oh yeah of course.
I mean, Hollywood does this shit a lot, and still never learns from it :/
Sogno- 
45766 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/7/15
white people ruin everything, right?

27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/7/15
Wait.

A riot against the police is the "foundational moment" for a movement, and people are celebrating that.
Posted 8/7/15 , edited 8/7/15

Sogno- wrote:

white people ruin everything, right?


That's exactly what I said in this thread thank you for understanding.
17225 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 8/7/15
/watches trailer

well they fulfilled the one black guy quota OTL
4315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Arizona
Offline
Posted 8/7/15

anzn wrote:


Sogno- wrote:

white people ruin everything, right?


That's exactly what I said in this thread thank you for understanding.


That's kinda racist :/
Posted 8/7/15
Femnazis are going to have a field day with this on tumblr.

On the other hand, doesn't seem like a good choice to leave out the most significant people. Sounds like making a movie about the rise of the Nazis with no Nazis.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.