First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Calling out that word
24257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 8/17/15

Freddy96NO wrote:


MysticGon wrote: Hmm, not sure if that's an insult or not. But if you want to join the ranks of Internet haters take a number my friend.
Sorry just joking XP



Were you, really well then all is forgiven. ^^... No really though, you have to learn to share the Internet with people who disagree with you. It's part of being an adult after all.
4315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Arizona
Offline
Posted 8/17/15 , edited 8/18/15

Otaku_J wrote:



Ninja had this to say:

It comes across to us that some people from America are heavy sensitive about the use of certain words. But the thing is, what you need to understand is: we’re not from America. We’re from South Africa. And in South Africa people aren’t so pumped up about these words. Like, for instance, in South Africa, a white guy will say to a black guy ‘yo, wassup, my nigger?’ and the black guy will be like ‘eei, what’s up my nigger?’ and no one freaks out or anything.


Apparently Ninja forgot the near 50 years of Apartheid in South Africa. Nigger is and was used to purposely dehumanize blacks in America. It wouldn't even matter if it originally meant a bundle of sticks. Using it in any context is insensitive to black people and their struggle for equal rights in the US. The argument that rappers use a variation, or you have a friend who is okay with you calling them that (which BTW what a great friend you must be) is moot. There is no reason to use it when it can be easily replaced by another word.


Do you or have you lived in South Africa? And like I said I don't use it and I literally didn't make any of those arguments. And isn't a fagot a bundle of sticks?
28113 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/18/15 , edited 8/18/15

Do you or have you lived in South Africa?


No, I'm saying they had enforced segregation up until 1994. I'm sure Ninja can think a bit harder and come up with a racial slur that would be uncool to say to "a black guy" in South Africa.


"And like I said I don't use it I don't feel it and I literally didn't make any of those arguments. :ph34r:"


Sorry, I was spring boarding off your post to throw my two cents down on the subject. It's my mistake for reading the general discussion forum when I'm bored.


"And isn't a fagot a bundle of sticks?"



49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/18/15

Irishsushi wrote:


Otaku_J wrote:



Ninja had this to say:

It comes across to us that some people from America are heavy sensitive about the use of certain words. But the thing is, what you need to understand is: we’re not from America. We’re from South Africa. And in South Africa people aren’t so pumped up about these words. Like, for instance, in South Africa, a white guy will say to a black guy ‘yo, wassup, my nigger?’ and the black guy will be like ‘eei, what’s up my nigger?’ and no one freaks out or anything.


Apparently Ninja forgot the near 50 years of Apartheid in South Africa. Nigger is and was used to purposely dehumanize blacks in America. It wouldn't even matter if it originally meant a bundle of sticks. Using it in any context is insensitive to black people and their struggle for equal rights in the US. The argument that rappers use a variation, or you have a friend who is okay with you calling them that (which BTW what a great friend you must be) is moot. There is no reason to use it when it can be easily replaced by another word.


Do you or have you lived in South Africa? And like I said I don't use it I don't feel it and I literally didn't make any of those arguments. And isn't a fagot a bundle of sticks?


I believe in" Return Of The Native ", by Thomas Hardy, there is a quote using "fagots" as a bundle of wood.
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/18/15

jackrabbit92 wrote:

It's like any other "label" word people don't like it or the same people think it's just a joke or funny. I really don't like "white trash" because no one really knows where it originates from. White trash really means for white people that couldn't afford a slave(s), but people still use it today and think what it means which it isn't. lol


Nowadays "white trash" is basically a white version of ghetto. At least that's how I see it used as.
4315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Arizona
Offline
Posted 8/18/15

Otaku_J wrote:


Do you or have you lived in South Africa?


No, I'm saying they had enforced segregation up until 1994. I'm sure Ninja can think a bit harder and come up with a racial slur that would be uncool to say to "a black guy" in South Africa.



No he said that because he used "my nigga" in one one of his songs and some people freaked out. He was explaining that in south africa their is no stigma to the word, so he didnt think it was a problem.
My point overall was that derogatory terms can be subjective so calling for the elimination of one specific one because its "the worst" is silly because that not the case everywhere.
724 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Madrid, Spain
Offline
Posted 8/18/15
I really hate it when people use that word because it represents the victimization and destruction of black people, and how they were stystematically abused by europeans with superior technology and strength.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 8/18/15

famoussas93 wrote: I really hate it when people use that word because it represents the victimization and destruction of black people..
Well n***a means something different or atleast be used different, as slang for mostly a friend or close.
Things was more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIm87r9lnD0
But still why do we use it so often in some places and sometimes I just find it stupied that they can accept it while the others can't like "hey n****!" he responds "Oh hey.. n****" .... "Oh wait what did you say n****?!"
-_-

39038 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Houston, Texas
Offline
Posted 8/18/15 , edited 8/18/15
Down with censorship !!
Down with conformity !!

Don't touch my music..
28113 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/18/15



No he said that because he used "my nigga" in one one of his songs and some people freaked out. He was explaining that in south africa their is no stigma to the word, so he didnt think it was a problem.


I feel what you're saying. That's why I stressed that he could probably come up with a racially charged slur in Afrikaans, and if we repeated it here it would be no big deal...However in States the "N" word does carry a heavy stigma.


My point overall was that derogatory terms can be subjective so calling for the elimination of one specific one because its "the worst" is silly because that not the case everywhere.


It's not silly though. This was the point I was trying to make when I said it didn't matter if it meant "a bundle of sticks". The context or various meanings of a word doesn't matter when you are demoralizing even a few people by using it. Don't get me wrong, as a voting citizen of the United States I wholeheartedly support your right to say anything you please. As a human though, I would appeal to you to think more about the words you choose to use and consider the feelings of others.
6655 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / The moon
Offline
Posted 8/18/15

dotsforlife wrote:


jackrabbit92 wrote:

It's like any other "label" word people don't like it or the same people think it's just a joke or funny. I really don't like "white trash" because no one really knows where it originates from. White trash really means for white people that couldn't afford a slave(s), but people still use it today and think what it means which it isn't. lol


Nowadays "white trash" is basically a white version of ghetto. At least that's how I see it used as.


That's how I see it now days too, but people don't know where it first created or started. It's the stupid irony of it. lol
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/18/15 , edited 9/11/15

jackrabbit92 wrote:


dotsforlife wrote:


jackrabbit92 wrote:

It's like any other "label" word people don't like it or the same people think it's just a joke or funny. I really don't like "white trash" because no one really knows where it originates from. White trash really means for white people that couldn't afford a slave(s), but people still use it today and think what it means which it isn't. lol


Nowadays "white trash" is basically a white version of ghetto. At least that's how I see it used as.


That's how I see it now days too, but people don't know where it first created or started. It's the stupid irony of it. lol


Yeah. Of course everything is so pc these days that meaning and context hardly matter anymore to most people. All it takes is one person getting up in arms over something everyone loses their damn minds over it.
Posted 8/20/15 , edited 8/20/15
Nigger has been around and used before the enslavement of Africans that were in America y'know. But was later used as a derogatory term as anti-blackness grew around the world.

It did not mean slave. It simply meant "Person with dark skin".

Nigga is AAVE. Its used to show a fondness or liking of someone. Basically like a friend.
Its not a derogatory term like nigger, & its not used as a derogatory term. It deprived from one, but that doesn't mean it is.
However black folk prefer if other races don't use it. Marc Lemont Hill basically explained why on CNN with Ben Ferguson.

I personally don't care, but like with using any AAVE term, if you don't understand or know how to speak it, you'll look stupid & lame when using AAVE terms anyway.
27705 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / TX
Offline
Posted 8/20/15
Personally don't like the word but if I hear someone who isn't black says it my first thought isn't to call them a racist. More along the lines must be repeating what they hear from rap. I hear little kids say the n word and my first thought is what kind of parents let them listen to rap and then they pretend to care about what comes out of their mouths in public.
13577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Australia
Offline
Posted 8/20/15
Word doesn't bother me, just like any other collection or assortment of letters do not bother me.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.