First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Post Reply Cop Body Slams 61-Year-Old Man Singing " Beach Boys" Song in Public
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 8/17/15

Dark_Alma wrote: Cops = always bad and people refuse to listen to them. It isn't hard... so why? I just cant comprehend it.
Yes sometimes people should lissen and behave.. but things like these is not civilized or a peacefull way of doing things (bearly tried by the looks of it)
Sometimes behaving and do like the officer tells you can save your own life ofc, because it maybe seems like you are drawing a gun or do something that could harm others because of signs of real hard aggression.


4315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Arizona
Offline
Posted 8/17/15 , edited 8/17/15

PhantomGundam wrote:

You have your cause and effect backwards there. People are more resistant these days because more cops are being caught abusing their power. If you're minding your own business and a corrupt police officer assaults you for no reason, would you comply? I sure wouldn't. It's human nature to try to defend yourself from the aggressor.

It's the police's job to protect and serve the people. Too many officers these days forget their job and think their badge gives them the right to take other people's rights away. People who comply to such unlawful actions are only encouraging the problem. Thanks to everyone having cameras these days, it's easier to catch the cops who abuse their authority. Maybe the public would be more willing to trust the police if they weren't hiring and defending so many corrupt officers.

I'm not saying that's true for every police officer in America. I'm sure there are lots of good officers who know how to do their jobs right. It's just that more and more bad ones are showing their true colors lately in an age where anything they do could be uploaded to YouTube within an hour. There's also the fact that police in the U.S. aren't properly trained. They're taught that a gun will solve almost all of their problems, even for nonviolent offenders. Being given the power to end someone's life in an instant and not get in trouble for it probably contributes to their superiority complex and their make-believe entitlement.


And I agree with this to an extent, but now Everyone in america hates cops even if they have never had a bad interaction with one. Most people consider being stopped for a traffic ticket a violation of rights and its dumb. While I totally agree there are corrupt cops that are abusing their power there are cases (like this one) where cops are just doing there job the way they are supposed to, but people have become so anti-cop so SJW that they think even so much as stopping to get information from someone or removing a disorderly citizen is grounds for civil rights abuse.
Posted 8/17/15 , edited 8/17/15

PhantomGundam wrote:

First of all, that old guy was a pretty good singer! I would've been glad to have such nice entertainment while eating at that restaurant.

Second, it looks like half the people in this thread were watching a completely different video than the ones posted in the OP. The videos clearly show the officer instigating the situation by confronting an old man singing in public. Last time I checked, exercising your First Amendment rights isn't a crime. Maybe there was some other reason why the officer went up to him. Whatever it was, it couldn't have been justification to attack the old man. The officer told him to leave. The two of them argued for a bit. The old man finally backed off and started leaving, just as the officer told him. Then the officer suddenly snaps and grabs him. He slams the old man down to the ground and keeps him there, even when the old man is screaming out in pain. The officer was calm one second and then crazy the next. Attacking a harmless senior citizen minding his own business is obviously not proper conduct for someone who is suppose to enforce the laws and keep us safe. I wouldn't feel safe at all if a guy like this was a cop in my neighborhood.


He was not in public he was on private property of the restaurant. Just because it is outside does not mean it is public. Due to the woman in the video saying "he came back" and how quickly the officer showed up I would guess he had been there earlier and had been asked to leave. If that was the case then by coming back he was trespassing. The man was walking off away from the street where the officer came in at. It is possible that there was no exit the way he was going and it was a courtyard. That would be why the officer grabbed him and pulled him back. The video does not show enough to be certain of these things but the officer certainly didn't "snap". As for the "screaming out in pain" most people do this when they are taken down by cops. Sure, it probably does hurt a bit but most people exaggerate it so that they can try and fight it some more.

-Just want to say once again that the video does not show enough for any real conclusions to be made. My thinking could be incorrect and so could everyone else's. It is not in anyone's best interest to go fully to one side or the other until things are investigated and more details are learned.
51287 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 8/17/15

Irishsushi wrote:


PhantomGundam wrote:

You have your cause and effect backwards there. People are more resistant these days because more cops are being caught abusing their power. If you're minding your own business and a corrupt police officer assaults you for no reason, would you comply? I sure wouldn't. It's human nature to try to defend yourself from the aggressor.

It's the police's job to protect and serve the people. Too many officers these days forget their job and think their badge gives them the right to take other people's rights away. People who comply to such unlawful actions are only encouraging the problem. Thanks to everyone having cameras these days, it's easier to catch the cops who abuse their authority. Maybe the public would be more willing to trust the police if they weren't hiring and defending so many corrupt officers.

I'm not saying that's true for every police officer in America. I'm sure there are lots of good officers who know how to do their jobs right. It's just that more and more bad ones are showing their true colors lately in an age where anything they do could be uploaded to YouTube within an hour. There's also the fact that police in the U.S. aren't properly trained. They're taught that a gun will solve almost all of their problems, even for nonviolent offenders. Being given the power to end someone's life in an instant and not get in trouble for it probably contributes to their superiority complex and their make-believe entitlement.


And I agree with this to an extent, but now Everyone in america hates cops even if they have never had a bad interaction with one. Most people consider being stopped for a traffic ticket a violation of rights and its dumb. While I totally agree there are corrupt cops that are abusing their power there are cases (like this one) where cops are just doing there job the way they are supposed to, but people have become so anti-cop so SJW that they think even so much as stopping to get information from someone or removing a disorderly citizen is grounds for civil rights abuse.


I've never seen anyone complain that their rights are being violated from just a simple traffic stop. It's either the person complies or they get into a nonviolent argument over why they were stopped when they haven't done anything. It doesn't escalate until after the officer does something to provoke the person in question. Sometimes the officers are just plain stupid. There are cases where the officers think the driver is reaching for a gun RIGHT AFTER telling them to take out their ID. Of course I'm only talking about encounters with normal citizens, not criminals or mentally ill people.

In this case, the old man started to leave, which is exactly what the officer told him to do in the first place. What's the logic behind attacking him after doing what the officer said? Whatever issue the officer had with him should've been resolved at that point.
24263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Online
Posted 8/17/15
In about 25 years, if I see a 61 year old man signing Justin Bieber I might do the same thing, just saying.
28244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 8/17/15
I'm sick of all the cop bashing. I realize here and there they screw up. Even here I think it was excessive. But come on, enough is enough, people are perpetuating police mistakes excessively. I'm not saying don't call them out on their mistakes, but going on the internet and complaining about them just adds gas to the fire.

Seems like all of America has been hating on cops lately, some of it warranted, a lot of it just hate for the sake of hate.

24263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Online
Posted 8/17/15

7oaster wrote:

I'm sick of all the cop bashing. I realize here and there they screw up. Even here I think it was excessive. But come on, enough is enough, people are perpetuating police mistakes excessively. I'm not saying don't call them out on their mistakes, but going on the internet and complaining about them just adds gas to the fire.

Seems like all of America has been hating on cops lately, some of it warranted, a lot of it just hate for the sake of hate.



Cops do a good job but when they fuck up its your freedom, your life. So I think it is warranted.
218 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/17/15
That suit looks to be the kind the give you at court when you're homeless. Explains the shoes as well.
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/17/15
Yeah I'd probably slam that guy too. How annoying. Too bad I wouldn't get away with it.
51287 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 8/17/15 , edited 8/17/15

justanotherguy_2005 wrote:


PhantomGundam wrote:

First of all, that old guy was a pretty good singer! I would've been glad to have such nice entertainment while eating at that restaurant.

Second, it looks like half the people in this thread were watching a completely different video than the ones posted in the OP. The videos clearly show the officer instigating the situation by confronting an old man singing in public. Last time I checked, exercising your First Amendment rights isn't a crime. Maybe there was some other reason why the officer went up to him. Whatever it was, it couldn't have been justification to attack the old man. The officer told him to leave. The two of them argued for a bit. The old man finally backed off and started leaving, just as the officer told him. Then the officer suddenly snaps and grabs him. He slams the old man down to the ground and keeps him there, even when the old man is screaming out in pain. The officer was calm one second and then crazy the next. Attacking a harmless senior citizen minding his own business is obviously not proper conduct for someone who is suppose to enforce the laws and keep us safe. I wouldn't feel safe at all if a guy like this was a cop in my neighborhood.


He was not in public he was on private property of the restaurant. Just because it is outside does not mean it is public. Due to the woman in the video saying "he came back" and how quickly the officer showed up I would guess he had been there earlier and had been asked to leave. If that was the case then by coming back he was trespassing. The man was walking off away from the street where the officer came in at. It is possible that there was no exit the way he was going and it was a courtyard. That would be why the officer grabbed him and pulled him back. The video does not show enough to be certain of these things but the officer certainly didn't "snap". As for the "screaming out in pain" most people do this when they are taken down by cops. Sure, it probably does hurt a bit but most people exaggerate it so that they can try and fight it some more.

-Just want to say once again that the video does not show enough for any real conclusions to be made. My thinking could be incorrect and so could everyone else's. It is not in anyone's best interest to go fully to one side or the other until things are investigated and more details are learned.


Standing outside DOES make it public. If somebody is standing outside your store, you can't kick them off the sidewalk. You don't own the sidewalk. If he walked inside the restaurant and the costumers complained that his singing was bothering them, the owners could've kicked him outside. If he repeatedly went inside after being told not to, they could've called the cops on him. Since he was outside (and clearly away from the restaurant's outside tables), there's nothing they could've done.

Even if the old guy was moving closer to the restaurant instead of away from it, that doesn't mean the officer should've slammed him to the ground and kept him down with force. If a strong, healthy officer threw you to the ground and forcibly pinned you down, you'd be in pain too. It's not an exaggeration. It's even worse for this man since he was so old.

I'm aware all the information isn't available yet. I did mention in my post that there may be another reason for why officer approached the old man. Even so, that doesn't justify using that much force on a defenseless old man. I just can't stand it when stories like this come out and people immediately rush to the officer's aid despite the available information not supporting their stance. It's like people are just looking for an excuse to defend bad behavior.
218 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/17/15
Go be a cop if you can do a better job, or think you know the laws better.
Posted 8/17/15

PhantomGundam wrote:



Standing outside DOES make it public. If somebody is standing outside your store, you can't kick them off the sidewalk. You don't own the sidewalk. If he walked inside the restaurant and the costumers complained that his singing was bothering them, the owners could've kicked him outside. If he repeatedly went inside after being told not to, they could've called the cops on him. Since he was outside (and clearly away from the restaurant's outside tables), there's nothing they could've done.

Even if the old guy was moving closer to the restaurant instead of away from it, that doesn't mean the officer should've slammed him to the ground and kept him down with force. If a strong, healthy officer threw you to the ground and forcibly pinned you down, you'd be in pain too. It's not an exaggeration. It's even worse for this man since he was so old.

I'm aware all the information isn't available yet. I did mention in my post that there may be another reason for why officer approached the old man. Even so, that doesn't justify using that much force on a defenseless old man. I just can't stand it when stories like this come out and people immediately rush to the officer's aid despite the available information not supporting their stance. It's like people are just looking for an excuse to defend bad behavior.


If that area is enclosed and it all belongs to that restaurant then it is not public. Just because it is a larger space doesn't mean that it isn't owned by the restaurant. Standing away from the tables is irrelevant if it is all owned by the restaurant.

The officer slammed him to the ground only after the man became combative when the officer grabbed his arm. People need to learn that just because someone looks older it does not mean they are frail and helpless. I also already stated that there would indeed be pain but that it is not nearly as bad as many people make it out to be while they are being arrested.

It is definitely an issue of opinion but the amount of force in the video is not even extreme in my eyes. Old man or not the cop was forced to deal with it on his own and the man clearly showed he was not going to cooperate. I'll say it again...being old alone does not mean a person is defenseless. They can be some of the most difficult people to try and get to comply.
Posted 8/17/15 , edited 8/17/15
I can't blame the cop in this one. I do feel that pushing him into the ground was unnecessary. Also he kind put his fingers in the cop face. And the cop wasn't doing anything to warrant that. I feel both are idiots here but I feel that the old man is in the wrong here more than the cop. And he did provoke the cop.
51287 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 8/17/15

justanotherguy_2005 wrote:

If that area is enclosed and it all belongs to that restaurant then it is not public. Just because it is a larger space doesn't mean that it isn't owned by the restaurant. Standing away from the tables is irrelevant if it is all owned by the restaurant.

The officer slammed him to the ground only after the man became combative when the officer grabbed his arm. People need to learn that just because someone looks older it does not mean they are frail and helpless. I also already stated that there would indeed be pain but that it is not nearly as bad as many people make it out to be while they are being arrested.

It is definitely an issue of opinion but the amount of force in the video is not even extreme in my eyes. Old man or not the cop was forced to deal with it on his own and the man clearly showed he was not going to cooperate. I'll say it again...being old alone does not mean a person is defenseless. They can be some of the most difficult people to try and get to comply.


We don't know for sure if that entire area outside was property owned by the restaurant. I find it hard to believe an ordinary restaurant would have that much empty space far away from their building, though. Regardless, that's not the biggest issue here.

The officer was the one who was combative first. The old man never fought back. I don't know what video you were watching. What this officer did was the definition of assault.

How would you know it's not as painful and people make it out to be? It's not like wrestling with one of your friends. Officers as much force as possible when restraining people. They could even snap your arm when they've got you pinned down struggling. It's not smart to dismiss this as an exaggeration when it's so common.

It's true that not all old people are fragile. A lot of old guys are the picture of perfect health. But can you really say that about an old guy who moves so sluggish like this one? It was clear as day that he was in a lot of pain. The officer ignored him and continued hurting him. I wouldn't be surprised if the old man sued for damages.
43982 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/17/15 , edited 8/17/15
The man got what was coming to him. Crazy people can be quite dangerous.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.