First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Post Reply Outlaw Birth Right Citizenship in America?
40974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Jackson, MS
Offline
Posted 8/19/15
Outlawing it seems a bit much but I do agree that it needs some revision.
10587 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Online
Posted 8/19/15
spoiler tags please.
we don't need ginormous quote towers.
51156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 8/19/15 , edited 8/19/15

biscuitnote wrote:


PhantomGundam wrote:

It's bad enough our government constantly uses fear to take away rights from American citizens. I can't believe some people here would seriously consider letting them take citizenship away from Americans as well. Might as well go back to slavery while you're at it. Have the children of illegal immigrants be forced to do unpaid labor while they wait for their parents to be deported.


You are the master of the strawman argument.


I'd rather not go into a detailed argument over something that should be common sense. Taking away the rights of Americans just because you're too lazy to fix the root of the problem (violence, drugs, gangs, poverty, corruption, etc. in the countries these immigrants come from) won't help anybody. Not in the short term or long term. People who honestly believe this is a good idea need to think about this more carefully. You'll be needlessly hurting millions of people and helping no one.
14916 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 8/19/15 , edited 8/19/15
I'm all for it. Citizenship should be determined how it is in other countries - by blood.

The problem is that people abuse birthright citizenship. I can't tell you how many women come to the U.S. for birth tourism. These women are here to give birth to US citizens and expect (and get) the taxpayer to pay for their pre and post natal services. I'm disgusted that we allow this. It's one
Posted 8/19/15 , edited 8/19/15
Why not just put a stamp on their buttocks when they're delivered

"UNWANTED"
2047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/19/15 , edited 8/19/15

PhantomGundam wrote:


biscuitnote wrote:


PhantomGundam wrote:

It's bad enough our government constantly uses fear to take away rights from American citizens. I can't believe some people here would seriously consider letting them take citizenship away from Americans as well. Might as well go back to slavery while you're at it. Have the children of illegal immigrants be forced to do unpaid labor while they wait for their parents to be deported.


You are the master of the strawman argument.


I'd rather not go into a detailed argument over something that should be common sense. Taking away the rights of Americans just because you're too lazy to fix the root of the problem (violence, drugs, gangs, poverty, corruption, etc. in the countries these immigrants come from) won't help anybody. Not in the short term or long term. People who honestly believe this is a good idea need to think about this more carefully. You'll be needlessly hurting millions of people and helping no one.


Why is it on the US to fix Mexico? Shouldn't that be on the mexicans that live in Mexico? Taking away birthright citizenship would save the country billions and remove an incentive for illegals to come here and not leave. I am fine with legal immigration but no sane nation on earth should be fine with letting in millions of undocumented third worlders its madness.
21448 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Between yesterday...
Offline
Posted 8/19/15
So take the lazy mans fix that actually over the long term makes things worse smart idea. How about we actually fix the root problem our broken immigration system and stop scapegoating people. This isn't the first time this idea has been raised and it fails every-time since it really is a bad idea.
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/19/15 , edited 8/19/15
When I listen to Trump speaking about Mexicans, I hear Hitler talking about Jews.




Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

27230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 8/19/15 , edited 8/19/15

twintiger12 wrote:

I have read somewhere that lot of Chinese couples go to the US to give birth so that their children can have US citizenship. There are even services for that, like hotels for them to stay.


Good grief. This.

We have those in my area and you always see pregnant Asian ladies walking around. A few months ago, the police cracked down and raided a bunch of those apartments and homes. Mainland Chinese were paying like $50,000 to live in a small room belonging to an unscrupulous property owner. One house could be the quarters of like 12 pregnant ladies. They would pop a baby and immediately leave the country. Owners and a bunch of immigrants got arrested.

Now, I still see a few but they aren't nearly as numerous and they don't waltz down the street in broad daylight every day anymore.
3027 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/19/15

Dariamus wrote:

When I listen to Trump speaking about Mexicans, I hear Hitler talking about Jews.




Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.



YAY...I was wondering how long it would take for Argumentum ad Hitlerum to appear.

Seriously, though. This is neither a Left/Right or Liberal/Conservative or Democrat/Republican problem (which I will simplify as just, the Left or Right for now). The Left wants illegal immigrants for the voting block (hence those who oppose Voter ID are generally on the Left) and the Right wants illegal immigrants for cheap labor (which ultimately amounts to slavery).

In my opinion, Birthright Citizenship was good for when it was passed, it immediately granted the slaves citizenship. However, now, it is being abused by illegal immigrants, regardless if they're Latino/Hispanic or Chinese (or any other nationality).

Yes, I think it should end. Citizenship should be a difficult process and we should NOT reward those who cheat. There are people who have non-citizen spouses who are waiting to have them become citizens, in some cases, people area waiting upwards of 10 years. Why should we separate those families, but let the ones who cheat get a pass?

As a side note, I also think we should get rid of the H1B work visas...I think it's atrocious that those work visas are tied to the specific job of the individual (meaning that if someone gets an H1B work visa to work at Intel, if they quit they lose their visa) and that they can legally be paid sub-minimum wage pay.
85255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Louisville, KY
Offline
Posted 8/19/15

haikinka wrote:

Why is having it a bad thing.


If you have a kid that is a citizen of United States of America it makes it so the parents can sign up the child for programs to help raise it such as food stamps even if the parents are not citizens. Basically, a bunch of government aid that they would not of had all while leeching and not working to give any of it back to taxes.
660 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Greensboro North...
Offline
Posted 8/19/15
Maybe not outlaw but I do think that immigration laws should be looked at and innovated.
17869 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Online
Posted 8/19/15

wingopanda wrote:

Of course it should. Illegal immigrants are ruining America.


you going to pick crops for 3 dollars an hour? Yeah I didn't think so

Banned
1567 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 8/19/15

uncletim wrote:


wingopanda wrote:

Of course it should. Illegal immigrants are ruining America.


you going to pick crops for 3 dollars an hour? Yeah I didn't think so



what? they are raping, murdering and robbing American citizens.
2047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/19/15

uncletim wrote:


wingopanda wrote:

Of course it should. Illegal immigrants are ruining America.


you going to pick crops for 3 dollars an hour? Yeah I didn't think so



When you have a surplus of labor wages drop. If we deported the illegals wages for those occupations would climb due to worker shortages and people could make a fair wage. Illegals benefit wealthy plutocrats deport them and fuck the plutocrats.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.