First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Important issues of racism and sexism being tackled again!
8852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 8/20/15 , edited 8/20/15

megahobbit wrote:


eragon2890 wrote:


megahobbit wrote:

Oh my fucking God this is about that Mario Maker Article.

That article didnt say the thing was Racist. What it said was "I found it kinda weird that the hand wasnt my shape but was photorealistic I assume it would be weirder for people of different races." and all this people are like "GUY SAID MARIOMAKER IS RACIST LETS MAKE A TON OF VIDEOS ON THIS"

The irony of the Anti-SJW crowd is that the people who claim everybody is overreacting are the ones who overreact so much themselves.


Even if he did, it's still completely ridiculous that he ONLY talked about that. Most people don't care, make a note about it if you have too, then start talking about the rest of the freaking game which people actually care about and were excited to read about in your article because you had exclusive early acces to write it!


Thats what stuck out to him the most and thats what he decided to write about. Thats his job. He doesnt have an obligation to write about the features you want him to write about. If you wanted to read up on Mario Maker you could go to another site and do that. Hes not your only source of information. Secondly this is Forbes. Last I checked nobodies main source of gaming news was Forbes.


You are absolutely right he may do that. that's why I didn't say he should be arrested for it, and reviewTechUSA didn't either. He has his freedom of speech. All we say is that it disappoints us and we find it utterly idiotic, and AFAIK about 99% of the population agrees with us on that (which, I realise, does not matter for this argument...). That's *our* right. Freedom of speech goes both ways, you know.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 8/20/15

Dabossman26 wrote:
People who try to defend this kind of stuff in the media is on of the reasons why there are so many problems with the media... Also, it shouldn't be something to focus a whole article on.


Um he can right about whatever he damn well pleases I dont see a problem with it. He not getting bribed or falsely reporting. What he did was right about something GASP different than all the other Mario Maker articles out there. He wrote about what stuck out to him.
27706 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / TX
Offline
Posted 8/20/15
If this guy is going to call himself a gaming journalist then the focus should be on the features of the game instead what we got from the article which luckily has been revised twice since the last time I check "still a terrible article" no details of gameplay or features except now we know we could change the hand yay

As for Forbes I rather like Dave Thier articles he actually says what a game has or doesn't have.

9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 8/20/15

eragon2890 wrote:

You are absolutely right he may do that. that's why I didn't say he should be arrested for it, and reviewTechUSA didn't either. He has his freedom of speech. All we say is that it disappoints us and we find it utterly idiotic, and AFAIK about 99% of the population agrees with us on that (which, I realise, does not matter for this argument...). That's *our* right. Freedom of speech goes both ways, you know.


When did Free Speech come in? Nobodies arguing about that.



Even if he did, it's still completely ridiculous that he ONLY talked about that. Most people don't care, make a note about it if you have too, then start talking about the rest of the freaking game which people actually care about and were excited to read about in your article because you had exclusive early acces to write it!


Let me be clearer then. Im saying that you getting all up in arms that he "didnt talk about the rest of the freaking game" as you put it is rather stupid thing to be upset about and an overreaction. Im also saying that your point of "which people actually care about and were excited to read about in your article because you had exclusive early acces to write it!" is kinda stupid cause.

1. The amount of people looking to Forbes for there gaming news is small

2. They can get the info elsewhere if they wanted to.

The point is people are overreacting to this article and I find it funny cause they claim the guy is overreacting.
13293 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 8/20/15
It was a ridiculous and stupid article to write in the first place and the fact that it was completely wrong just makes it even more hilariously bad. There is nothing wrong with people criticizing the article for being ridiculous and stupid....because it was...
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 8/20/15

J-POP187 wrote:

If this guy is going to call himself a gaming journalist then the focus should be on the features of the game instead what we got from the article which luckily has been revised twice since the last time I check "still a terrible article" no details of gameplay or features except now we know we could change the hand yay

As for Forbes I rather like Dave Thier articles he actually says what a game has or doesn't have.



Last time I checked the hand was a feature.

Secondly believing gaming articles and journalists should only talk about gameplay and features is really regressive for gaming.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 8/20/15

sundin13 wrote:

It was a ridiculous and stupid article to write in the first place and the fact that it was completely wrong just makes it even more hilariously bad. There is nothing wrong with people criticizing the article for being ridiculous and stupid....because it was...


There is something funny about people overreacting by claiming a guy was overreacting.
6295 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / *echo sound effec...
Offline
Posted 8/20/15

megahobbit wrote:


Dabossman26 wrote:
People who try to defend this kind of stuff in the media is on of the reasons why there are so many problems with the media... Also, it shouldn't be something to focus a whole article on.


Um he can right about whatever he damn well pleases I dont see a problem with it. He not getting bribed or falsely reporting. What he did was right about something GASP different than all the other Mario Maker articles out there. He wrote about what stuck out to him.


First of all, write* not right.... Second graders may have an edge on grammar these days...

Secondly, that "something different" you keep talking about is basically pointing out something that has no meaning whatsoever and making it controversial for views. it's like saying,"there isn't an african american version of mario, which is strange because that would cause confusion for those who aren't Italian...". Sure, he has the RIGHT (spelled correctly) to make an article like that, but people defending something like that encourages more journalists to point out small details and blow them out of proportion. We already have enough problems with the media and this doesn't help. You can go give it all the page views you want because you think it's "something different", but at the end of the day it's just a clickbait article that helps to create false ideas of sexism and racism...
8852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 8/20/15

megahobbit wrote:


J-POP187 wrote:

If this guy is going to call himself a gaming journalist then the focus should be on the features of the game instead what we got from the article which luckily has been revised twice since the last time I check "still a terrible article" no details of gameplay or features except now we know we could change the hand yay

As for Forbes I rather like Dave Thier articles he actually says what a game has or doesn't have.



Last time I checked the hand was a feature.

Secondly believing gaming articles and journalists should only talk about gameplay and features is really regressive for gaming.


Gameplay, features, story, graphics, sound, the standard IGN review categories. That's what a review should focus on. OTher things can be mentioned, but some small detail AND NOTHING ELSE is stupid.

That's not "regressive" , that's common sense.
13293 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 8/20/15

megahobbit wrote:


sundin13 wrote:

It was a ridiculous and stupid article to write in the first place and the fact that it was completely wrong just makes it even more hilariously bad. There is nothing wrong with people criticizing the article for being ridiculous and stupid....because it was...


There is something funny about people overreacting by claiming a guy was overreacting.


I think you are reading a little bit too much into the general reaction. It was mostly a mixture of laughing at how stupid it is and face-palming at how stupid it is. Both of which are justified because it is just pure concentrated stupid.
6295 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / *echo sound effec...
Offline
Posted 8/20/15

megahobbit wrote:


sundin13 wrote:

It was a ridiculous and stupid article to write in the first place and the fact that it was completely wrong just makes it even more hilariously bad. There is nothing wrong with people criticizing the article for being ridiculous and stupid....because it was...


There is something funny about people overreacting by claiming a guy was overreacting.


People who criticize want actual information about what they are looking for and not some petty personal issue with a game. Those people you say are "overreacting" don't want the news to turn into something like "firefighters save people from a building that white first instead of the brown building, how racist!" You're free to think that this article was thought provoking or whatever, but most people want actual news...
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 8/20/15

Dabossman26 wrote:


megahobbit wrote:


Dabossman26 wrote:
People who try to defend this kind of stuff in the media is on of the reasons why there are so many problems with the media... Also, it shouldn't be something to focus a whole article on.


Um he can right about whatever he damn well pleases I dont see a problem with it. He not getting bribed or falsely reporting. What he did was right about something GASP different than all the other Mario Maker articles out there. He wrote about what stuck out to him.


First of all, write* not right.... Second graders may have an edge on grammar these days...

Secondly, that "something different" you keep talking about is basically pointing out something that has no meaning whatsoever and making it controversial for views. it's like saying,"there isn't an african american version of mario, which is strange because that would cause confusion for those who aren't Italian...". Sure, he has the RIGHT (spelled correctly) to make an article like that, but people defending something like that encourages more journalists to point out small details and blow them out of proportion. We already have enough problems with the media and this doesn't help. You can go give it all the page views you want because you think it's "something different", but at the end of the day it's just a clickbait article that helps to create false ideas of sexism and racism...


"Creating false ideas of Sexism and Racism" Wow son thanks for telling me you havent read the article or seen a picture of the hand. If you actually did you would realize that the hand


Sexism was never part of the article. Heres a deal you can tell me about how journalist blow things out of proportion when you tell me that not reading an article and saying that it "creates false Ideas about Sexism" when it doesnt mention sexism at all isnt blowing something out of proportion.
8852 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 8/20/15 , edited 8/20/15

megahobbit wrote:

"Creating false ideas of Sexism and Racism" Wow son thanks for telling me you havent read the article or seen a picture of the hand. If you actually did you would realize that the hand


Sexism was never part of the article. Heres a deal you can tell me about how journalist blow things out of proportion when you tell me that not reading an article and saying that it "creates false Ideas about Sexism" when it doesnt mention sexism at all isnt blowing something out of proportion.


You do realize he clearly states that in the video? He read, but it is also possible, and *GASP* *Tumblr SJW worldview breaking* happens, that men are under- or misrepresented in something.

But that's not the point here. The point is that it's ridiculous to make that the only thing to talk about when discussing a game.

We can go on about this all night, and everyone here (except you) is still going to think that.
6295 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / *echo sound effec...
Offline
Posted 8/20/15 , edited 8/20/15

megahobbit wrote:

"Creating false ideas of Sexism and Racism" Wow son thanks for telling me you havent read the article or seen a picture of the hand. If you actually did you would realize that the hand


Sexism was never part of the article. Heres a deal you can tell me about how journalist blow things out of proportion when you tell me that not reading an article and saying that it "creates false Ideas about Sexism" when it doesnt mention sexism at all isnt blowing something out of proportion.


SPOILER ALERT!


Gilbert literally said AND I QUOTE,

bearing little similarity in looks to my own – acting as a stand-in for my actual hand. Yes, I’m a white guy, but my fingers are far from long and slender (sadly).
What if I were, say, a 10-year-old black girl? Or a 30-year-old Japanese man? Or literally anything other than an adult white woman (which the hand appears to belong to)?
Given the mainstream appeal of the mustachioed hero and his ongoing battle against Bowser, you’d think Nintendo – a company that’s repeatedly shown willingness to be inclusive – would have thought of this.


The guy is literally trying to create an issue where there isn't one.

Question to you: Would you honestly question the color of a hand of an in-game if it wasn't mentioned? And are you seriously offended that the hand was female?

He says that he thought Nintendo would be "inclusive" suggesting that Nintendo is racist and sexist... So you're trying to argue that he isn't trying to create false ideas of sexism and racism? Give me a break!

Your profile picture is yellow. That's the stereotypical color for asians! Why doesn't it have every color included to be inclusive to all colors of all races? Yellow doesn't represent any LGBT+ group, why not make it a rainbow? You sir are racist and homophobic! That's what the article is trying to do!
27706 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / TX
Offline
Posted 8/20/15

Dabossman26---Secondly, that "something different" you keep talking about is basically pointing out something that has no meaning whatsoever and making it controversial for views


Thank you whatever type of journalist these people like to call themselves there has to be some quality control which in this article there was none. It was simply written as clickbait


Sure, he has the RIGHT (spelled correctly) to make an article like that, but people defending something like that encourages more journalists to point out small details and blow them out of proportion
.

Of course, instead of keeping journalists to a higher standard instead of tabloid level of journalism. Why would they write an article that requires actually researching what they are writing about and taking notes instead of taking the easy way out and writing about some imaginary form of social injustice. Now if this article was on something like tmz most people would expect something like this for clickbait views but since it's on business insider a notable step up from tmz there should be a certain level of professionalism which was sadly missing in this article. I say thank you for caring about the professionalism of journalists. Only way to improve journalism would be if the people hold them to a higher standard regardless of what type of journalist they are.



We already have enough problems with the media and this doesn't help. You can go give it all the page views you want because you think it's "something different", but at the end of the day it's just a clickbait article that helps to create false ideas of sexism and racism...


The sad thing is I bet that article receive so many clicks that it will only encourage him to write more trash like that.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.