First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
Post Reply Why do people look down on Autism
20731 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 8/21/15 , edited 8/21/15
So i have Aspergers Syndrome which counts under Autism and i never understood why people hate Autism so many people make fun of it or make it seem like we are useless.

It's a spectrum so some people are disabled by it some of us get an advantage from this.

Has anyone else noticed the lack of understanding of what Autism is and what it means for a person.
I was talking to my mother and asked her if there was a cure would she have gotten it for me as a child she said yes.

That answer right there worries me for the future generations much like circumcising a baby changing a child from Autistic to Neurotypical against its will and without there consent is a worry for me because so many uninformed people would go "oh Autism this is horrible i better fix it".

So i wanted to know why do you guys think Autism is so poorly understood and wanted to let you all know we don't need a cure we need understanding and acceptance to Neurodiversity.


I would never change my brain to be normal even if i got the chance because my Abnormal Neurology is part of me and who i am and i don't believe anyone but the person who is to be "cured" should have a say.

When i was a kid i needed my parents to dress me and couldn't speak well i could with problems until i was ten sadly instead of acceptance people want a cure because we are different.

So i just wanted to let you all know my opinion and some of the opinions some Autistic people i have met share and want you to know for when you have children in the future if they have Autism and a cure is available wait till they are old enough to make there own decision (if they can if they can't then its understandable to use said cure) also if anyone has a child that is Autistic care for them they are different.

We have different basic needs to most people in a way but we are people also.
41641 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/21/15 , edited 8/23/15
Neurodivergent is not a thing. Autism is a developmental and social disorder, it's not a "neurodivergent" thing, I hate that term with a fiery burning passion because it makes shit sound all specialized. Get that term out of my face. That term is specialized and should be condemned to the bottoms of TumblrInAction hell.

I think people should be taught that autism, especially high functioning shit like being an aspie, isn't subjectively bad especially in high functioning format, but you're not gonna change the close minded people who think autism is bad overnight. You have to make them understand, and then they have to make themselves understand that autism doesn't guarantee a child's life is over? Depending on the severity it can be everything from a minor handicap to a terribly crippling one, but even low functioning people can have a "gift", so subjectively autism if minor isn't a super huge handicap even if it's a struggle. It's a brain screwup and brain malady but that doesn't make people who have it inherently bad, like mental illness in a sense.

But what you also have to understand is that despite differences autistic people still do struggle, even aspies socially struggle, I'm a topic changing mess in social conversation even as a very very high functioning aspie and it's embarrassing as hell. There's nothing wrong with YOU not wanting to try and cure your autism, but if someone else wants to that is not your call, you cannot decide for them.

However, I do think that certain organizations *coughcough autismspeaks* should be banned from donating money to practitioners that still use abusive practices like shock therapy. It's the twenty first fucking century, shock therapy shouldn't be a thing.
Posted 8/21/15 , edited 8/21/15
I have ADD and if I could have a cure I would damn well take it. I can't say I understand what Autism really is or Aspergers is because I have not researched it. But I view your posts like everyone else and you seem perfectly normal to me so I am not here to judge you in any which way. I have heard that ADD is in the austism spectrum. I am not sure how true that actually but I know ADD has messed up my life and continues to mess with to the point where I became deeply depressed. While I don't mean for my post to be depressing I am just expressing my personal opinion on the matter. I am glad you take pride in what you have. You are definitely a real person and shouldn't let anyone tell you otherwise.
20731 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 8/21/15 , edited 8/21/15

animegirl2222 wrote:

Neurodivergent is not a thing. Autism is a developmental and social disorder, it's not a "neurodivergent" thing, I hate that term with a fiery burning passion because it makes shit sound all specialized. Get that term out of my face. That term is specialized and should be condemned to the bottoms of TumblrInAction hell.

I think people should be taught that autism, especially high functioning shit like being an aspie, isn't subjectively bad especially in high functioning format, but you're not gonna change the close minded people who think autism is bad overnight. You have to make them understand, and then they have to make themselves understand that autism doesn't guarantee a child's life is over? Depending on the severity it can be everything from a minor handicap to a terribly crippling one, but even low functioning people can have a "gift", so subjectively autism if minor isn't a super huge handicap even if it's a struggle. It's a brain screwup and brain malady but that doesn't make people who have it inherently bad, like mental illness in a sense.

But what you also have to understand is that despite differences autistic people still do struggle, even aspies socially struggle, I'm a topic changing mess in social conversation even as a very very high functioning aspie and it's embarrassing as hell. There's nothing wrong with YOU not wanting to try and cure your autism, but if someone else wants to that is not your call, you cannot decide for them.

However, I do think that certain organizations *coughcough autismspeaks* should be banned from donating money to practitioners that still use abusive practices like shock therapy. It's the twenty first fucking century, shock therapy shouldn't be a thing.





No i can't choose for them but my point is they can't choose for there sons because that's no different then circumcision forcing a non undo-able change onto a child.

My point was a cure would be good but i feel Parents would force it onto there children without the childs consent and how is that ok if that's ok we might aswell start saying things like circumcision are ok.

Also for me Aspergers is not a brain screwed up its just different that doesn't mean its screwed up at all.

In the end my only want is to educate people about what Autism is and the different levels of it and to stop parents from forcing a potential cure onto a child that cannot consent.
239 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / I don't know, it'...
Offline
Posted 8/21/15 , edited 8/21/15
Parents will naturally force whatever they believe is right onto their children, educated of not they could easily decide what every they want and no one would be able to stop them, that's the scary part, your concern is defiantly valid but I don't think knowledge would stop most parents from "normalizing" their children like some kind of new age Frankenstein. needless to say I don't have much faith in humanity...
41641 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/21/15 , edited 8/21/15

Ryulightorb wrote:


animegirl2222 wrote:

Neurodivergent is not a thing. Autism is a developmental and social disorder, it's not a "neurodivergent" thing, I hate that term with a fiery burning passion because it makes shit sound all specialized. Get that term out of my face. That term is specialized and should be condemned to the bottoms of TumblrInAction hell.

I think people should be taught that autism, especially high functioning shit like being an aspie, isn't subjectively bad especially in high functioning format, but you're not gonna change the close minded people who think autism is bad overnight. You have to make them understand, and then they have to make themselves understand that autism doesn't guarantee a child's life is over? Depending on the severity it can be everything from a minor handicap to a terribly crippling one, but even low functioning people can have a "gift", so subjectively autism if minor isn't a super huge handicap even if it's a struggle. It's a brain screwup and brain malady but that doesn't make people who have it inherently bad, like mental illness in a sense.

But what you also have to understand is that despite differences autistic people still do struggle, even aspies socially struggle, I'm a topic changing mess in social conversation even as a very very high functioning aspie and it's embarrassing as hell. There's nothing wrong with YOU not wanting to try and cure your autism, but if someone else wants to that is not your call, you cannot decide for them.

However, I do think that certain organizations *coughcough autismspeaks* should be banned from donating money to practitioners that still use abusive practices like shock therapy. It's the twenty first fucking century, shock therapy shouldn't be a thing.





No i can't choose for them but my point is they can't choose for there sons because that's no different then circumcision forcing a non undo-able change onto a child.

My point was a cure would be good but i feel Parents would force it onto there children without the childs consent and how is that ok if that's ok we might aswell start saying things like circumcision are ok.

Also for me Aspergers is not a brain screwed up its just different that doesn't mean its screwed up at all.

In the end my only want is to educate people about what Autism is and the different levels of it and to stop parents from forcing a potential cure onto a child that cannot consent.


Yeah, I guess I inderstnad where you're coming from, especially if the "child" is a teenager, and should be able to give their own answer that isn't decided by their parents.

I disagree about the whole aspie thing I'm pretty sure that we have different brain chemistry, compared to other people-- even though it's very slight, I'd still say that asphergers would qualify as a low level neurodevelopmental disorder but if you're able to function under it it really doesn't make your brain 100% different from everyone else's, just a little different. It's not an insult. But it could also be inherent and in no way your fault. I'm pretty sure my dad is an aspie of some sort, we're a lot alike and he's far from the most social person himself, used to be very disorganized like I am now, is incredibly smart, etc, he basically has the traits of an aspie somewhat but has learned for the most part to work with them so that he doesn't come across as disorganized or weird. In adulthood asphergers can kind of cure itself but only to a certain extent as one tends to become more responsible and open. However, there are some guys like Chris Chan who'll try and use the asphergers excuse til the end of time to try and justify stupid behavior or just plain laziness, like Chris chan still lives with his parents even though the dude is over thirty because he's lazy and fat and won't get a job, that is when using asphergers ain't an excuse anymore. The dude who invented Microsoft has asphergers, in fact, there's plenty of successful people who are aspies because it's a very transparent disorder that doesn't make itself physically apparent, the most people ever think me as is being a touch "off", but never "autistic" or "on an autism spectrum", even though I am.
239 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / I don't know, it'...
Offline
Posted 8/21/15 , edited 8/21/15
This is unsurprisingly cringe-worthy
Posted 8/21/15 , edited 8/21/15

L2401 wrote:

This is unsurprisingly cringe-worthy


You are probably one of those try hard 'edgy' kids I bet.
239 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / I don't know, it'...
Offline
Posted 8/21/15 , edited 8/21/15
Nope, just brutally honest
20731 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 8/21/15 , edited 8/21/15

animegirl2222 wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:


animegirl2222 wrote:

Neurodivergent is not a thing. Autism is a developmental and social disorder, it's not a "neurodivergent" thing, I hate that term with a fiery burning passion because it makes shit sound all specialized. Get that term out of my face. That term is specialized and should be condemned to the bottoms of TumblrInAction hell.

I think people should be taught that autism, especially high functioning shit like being an aspie, isn't subjectively bad especially in high functioning format, but you're not gonna change the close minded people who think autism is bad overnight. You have to make them understand, and then they have to make themselves understand that autism doesn't guarantee a child's life is over? Depending on the severity it can be everything from a minor handicap to a terribly crippling one, but even low functioning people can have a "gift", so subjectively autism if minor isn't a super huge handicap even if it's a struggle. It's a brain screwup and brain malady but that doesn't make people who have it inherently bad, like mental illness in a sense.

But what you also have to understand is that despite differences autistic people still do struggle, even aspies socially struggle, I'm a topic changing mess in social conversation even as a very very high functioning aspie and it's embarrassing as hell. There's nothing wrong with YOU not wanting to try and cure your autism, but if someone else wants to that is not your call, you cannot decide for them.

However, I do think that certain organizations *coughcough autismspeaks* should be banned from donating money to practitioners that still use abusive practices like shock therapy. It's the twenty first fucking century, shock therapy shouldn't be a thing.





No i can't choose for them but my point is they can't choose for there sons because that's no different then circumcision forcing a non undo-able change onto a child.

My point was a cure would be good but i feel Parents would force it onto there children without the childs consent and how is that ok if that's ok we might aswell start saying things like circumcision are ok.

Also for me Aspergers is not a brain screwed up its just different that doesn't mean its screwed up at all.

In the end my only want is to educate people about what Autism is and the different levels of it and to stop parents from forcing a potential cure onto a child that cannot consent.


Yeah, I guess I inderstnad where you're coming from, especially if the "child" is a teenager, and should be able to give their own answer that isn't decided by their parents.

I disagree about the whole aspie thing I'm pretty sure that we have different brain chemistry, compared to other people-- even though it's very slight, I'd still say that asphergers would qualify as a low level neurodevelopmental disorder but if you're able to function under it it really doesn't make your brain 100% different from everyone else's, just a little different. It's not an insult. But it could also be inherent and in no way your fault. I'm pretty sure my dad is an aspie of some sort, we're a lot alike and he's far from the most social person himself, used to be very disorganized like I am now, is incredibly smart, etc, he basically has the traits of an aspie somewhat but has learned for the most part to work with them so that he doesn't come across as disorganized or weird. In adulthood asphergers can kind of cure itself but only to a certain extent as one tends to become more responsible and open. However, there are some guys like Chris Chan who'll try and use the asphergers excuse til the end of time to try and justify stupid behavior or just plain laziness, like Chris chan still lives with his parents even though the dude is over thirty because he's lazy and fat and won't get a job, that is when using asphergers ain't an excuse anymore. The dude who invented Microsoft has asphergers, in fact, there's plenty of successful people who are aspies because it's a very transparent disorder that doesn't make itself physically apparent, the most people ever think me as is being a touch "off", but never "autistic" or "on an autism spectrum", even though I am.



Well there are things that don't go away.

Most of us with Aspergers find socialising tiring and in our whole lives have sensory overload still but for the most of it we can fit in and practically pretend to be fully normal.

I can't get a job due to my Aspergers due to meltdowns which is where it Disadvantages me but at the same time that is a positive as it allows me to study to get a job where i can cope.
20731 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 8/21/15 , edited 8/21/15

L2401 wrote:

Nope, just brutally honest



Well if its cringe worthy to want understanding and acceptance....bring on the cringe!
Posted 8/21/15 , edited 8/21/15
People look down on everyone who's different from them.
And demonizes & alinates them as well. Kinda sad, really.

But Autism has been used as an insult a lot tbh. So annoying, even though I'm not autistic myself.
I just hate when people use disorders as an insult or meme the hell out of it.

Also I don't think there us a cure for autism. There are treatments, but not really exactly a "cure", unfortunately.
239 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / I don't know, it'...
Offline
Posted 8/21/15
Well that's not exactly what I mean, I was actually referring the the phrasing of certain things, but if you're gonna be all optimistic and such about it then...thank you?
8524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
14 / M
Offline
Posted 8/21/15
Its because they use it insults to try and make themselves sound smart.
239 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / I don't know, it'...
Offline
Posted 8/21/15 , edited 8/21/15
...THEY THINK IT MAKES THEM SOUND SMART!?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.