First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Similarities
1480 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Philippines
Offline
Posted 2/7/08
As this thread comes out as intellectual (or drawn out, whichever comes to mind first),please pardon my weak intellect as I try to answer your query as best as my overly-simplistic mind can. Yep, bear with me as well :p

As far as I know, the only thing that made those kinds of anime click in the first place was because they worked. It's earlier predecessors(examples are Dragonball for shounen, To Heart for harems, etc...) were proven to be successful in its run (at least, at the start). It was a hit, it was famous, it was new and innovative for its time. Then these anime series' fade away in time. So, as with any other famous success stories, they try to replicate it, in hopes that they would garner the same fan base, the same popularity, if not of a higher degree. And yes, they do get repetitive and boring after a few "resurrections". In my opinion, its famous because it works, and people kinda stick to what works more often.

And about that Naruto and 666 Satan thing, as far as I know, 666 was created by Seishi Kishimoto, younger brother of Masashi Kishimoto, and as all fans of Naruto would know, was the one who created Naruto, so I think the overly-similar plot can be excused.... Somewhat.
9233 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Somewhere, USA
Offline
Posted 2/7/08
I would say that you have your point, but this is because not all people try to go and do new and exotic things. Typically shounen but others genres as well stick to what works. Original ideas won't get you very far if they do not work. People tend to stick with the norm and spawn new ideas cause it will change the landscape of their thought process. Its not that new ideas are unwelcome it just that writers tend to stick with whats working and change the story little by little not a drastic change like what your seeking. Its just the way things work in my opinion I hope this helps.

P.S.- Its 6 in the morning and i havent slept a wink so if this is bad its my fault but i blame it on my weak and tired brain.
3409 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Singapore
Offline
Posted 2/7/08
I would suppose the people making the animes (animators?) would usually try to make something in genres which they would know would be popular. Hence, the romance, the harem-type, and the slice-of-life. So i won't suppose there'd be much deviance from the general norm. But of course, there are animes which are quite unique. I -actually- think animes revolving ard the same few genres are okay, I've only got issues with animes which are choked with fillers, and the storyline's dragging for much too long. (you know what they are.. haha)

I'd like to see more.. um.. supernatural ones though. Somethign like Ghost Hunt, that'd scare the shit outta me. HAHA, too many lovey- dovey anies about..
988 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / London
Offline
Posted 2/7/08
I like the idea of extending the orginal storyline.
11734 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / just around the c...
Offline
Posted 2/7/08
for me... as long as it's good and interesting, i'll watch it or read it...
i liked 666 satan so i don't have any problems about similarities or whatever and i think i liked the demon and angel thing rather than the kyuubi and the likes..., but i liked naruto shippuuden rather than the long 1st series... i guess i liked yuyu hakusho better the first time i watched it than bleach...
but i also try new stuff because it's refreshing...

i just hope they do more wonderful animes for everyone to watch...
3343 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 2/7/08
For Devil 666 and Naruto, you must pardon similarities as the authors of both are in fact, brothers. Their similarities are both Dragonball, and they obviously share similar creative streaks.

It would be much better to compare them BOTH to DB instead.
3409 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Singapore
Offline
Posted 2/7/08

ShenOkito wrote:


shujun87 wrote:

I would suppose the people making the animes (animators?) would usually try to make something in genres which they would know would be popular. Hence, the romance, the harem-type, and the slice-of-life. So i won't suppose there'd be much deviance from the general norm. But of course, there are animes which are quite unique. I -actually- think animes revolving ard the same few genres are okay, I've only got issues with animes which are choked with fillers, and the storyline's dragging for much too long. (you know what they are.. haha)

I'd like to see more.. um.. supernatural ones though. Somethign like Ghost Hunt, that'd scare the shit outta me. HAHA, too many lovey- dovey anies about..



So for the most part, they aim for money rather than originality?


i would think so, no? Though, this may be just a one- sided view of mine.. =/

one good example would be fan- service. Like the flashing of underwear, and yadda yadda. I think it's too much.. and there isn't a need to do so. so many animes are doing just that..haha why the need for so much ecchi- ness (if there's such a term)
3409 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Singapore
Offline
Posted 2/7/08

ShenOkito wrote:


shujun87 wrote:


ShenOkito wrote:


shujun87 wrote:

I would suppose the people making the animes (animators?) would usually try to make something in genres which they would know would be popular. Hence, the romance, the harem-type, and the slice-of-life. So i won't suppose there'd be much deviance from the general norm. But of course, there are animes which are quite unique. I -actually- think animes revolving ard the same few genres are okay, I've only got issues with animes which are choked with fillers, and the storyline's dragging for much too long. (you know what they are.. haha)

I'd like to see more.. um.. supernatural ones though. Somethign like Ghost Hunt, that'd scare the shit outta me. HAHA, too many lovey- dovey anies about..



So for the most part, they aim for money rather than originality?


i would think so, no? Though, this may be just a one- sided view of mine.. =/

one good example would be fan- service. Like the flashing of underwear, and yadda yadda. I think it's too much.. and there isn't a need to do so. so many animes are doing just that..haha why the need for so much ecchi- ness (if there's such a term)


Yeah, well I understand some of that, but....as a film major, I prefer exploring new grounds rather than retracing the same grounds over and over. That really is the fun of being a director-- or a cinematographer or whatnot-- and I'd assume that film and animation would be similar on this matter.


I guess that should be the way and the spirit to go about it all, isn't it? (: But well, I'd have to say that it is hard to come up with a totally new storyline/ plot. Come to think of it, it's all being taken up, hasn't it? =/

3409 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Singapore
Offline
Posted 2/7/08
anyways, just want to add. i think this thread's a good one (i hope there isn't anything like this!!), coz at least there's something to discuss yannow? (: not like a lot of the brainless ones out there. =/ -cackles-
21995 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / boring, bland ohio
Offline
Posted 2/7/08
Well I think that the main reason is that you are talking about more mainstream anime which uses character types that appeal well to their audiences. Those characters sell well so if you use them with a slightly familiar storyline at the right time, you've got a hit. Go to less known work and you will find more variety in characters. I'd say look toward anime aimed toward older audiences as those are usually more creative as far as characters and storyline goes.
3409 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Singapore
Offline
Posted 2/7/08

artgeek707 wrote:

Well I think that the main reason is that you are talking about more mainstream anime which uses character types that appeal well to their audiences. Those characters sell well so if you use them with a slightly familiar storyline at the right time, you've got a hit. Go to less known work and you will find more variety in characters. I'd say look toward anime aimed toward older audiences as those are usually more creative as far as characters and storyline goes.


yeap! I like the storyline of Shingurui.(: i thought that was quite a fresh storyline.. =/
21995 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / boring, bland ohio
Offline
Posted 2/7/08

shujun87 wrote:


artgeek707 wrote:

Well I think that the main reason is that you are talking about more mainstream anime which uses character types that appeal well to their audiences. Those characters sell well so if you use them with a slightly familiar storyline at the right time, you've got a hit. Go to less known work and you will find more variety in characters. I'd say look toward anime aimed toward older audiences as those are usually more creative as far as characters and storyline goes.


yeap! I like the storyline of Shingurui.(: i thought that was quite a fresh storyline.. =/


never heard of it. I was thinking of Serial Experiments Lain (each episode is a vignette and Lain has split personality disorder), Ergo Proxy (Philosophical, mythological, art, allusions everywhere, nothing is revealed at once) and Monster (a really psychological look into fear as well as many biblical references). I'll have to look up Shingurui. If it's on this thread (in the way you mentioned) it has to be good.
21995 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / boring, bland ohio
Offline
Posted 2/7/08

ShenOkito wrote:


artgeek707 wrote:

never heard of it. I was thinking of Serial Experiments Lain (each episode is a vignette and Lain has split personality disorder), Ergo Proxy (Philosophical, mythological, art, allusions everywhere, nothing is revealed at once) and Monster (a really psychological look into fear as well as many biblical references). I'll have to look up Shingurui. If it's on this thread (in the way you mentioned) it has to be good.


Meh, this is true, this is true. I have not seen Serial Experiments Lain or Ergo Proxy, but Monster certainly was unique in its own regards.


S.E. Lain is probably the most unique anime out there. It's relativly short (13 episodes). And can be so confusing. When it was first released (1998) it sparked several college papers and articles.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.