First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Self Destruction?
51150 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 8/25/15
I'm not suicidal, so no.
7401 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 8/25/15 , edited 8/25/15

Ejanss wrote:



Well, I dunno, most people, even if they weren't sixteen, would take the first route that sprang to mind and childishly blame God if it was just some unfortunate biological act of nature like the cancer, but sounds like four out of six of your complaints are about people.
And like you say, "Punish the innocent and the guilty go free..." (Oh sure, pick on the insubstantial guy 'cause it's easy.)

Unless God was on the company stockholder board, of course, but I don't remember Him showing up at any of the quarterly meetings.
Otherwise, sounds like your complaint was "Why didn't God make things better for me?"--I'm sorry, did you say "sixteen", or "six"?


Back then, that was my response (for the record I was on 4-6 drugs my doctors were pumping me full of for health conditions I won't speak of here). Now, I neither confirm nor deny existence of a God. I'm Agnostic and I'm very happy that way. Maybe there is a God, maybe there isn't but if there turns out to be I wouldn't care to know him/her/it.
14733 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/25/15

neugenx wrote:


Ejanss wrote:



Well, I dunno, most people, even if they weren't sixteen, would take the first route that sprang to mind and childishly blame God if it was just some unfortunate biological act of nature like the cancer, but sounds like four out of six of your complaints are about people.
And like you say, "Punish the innocent and the guilty go free..." (Oh sure, pick on the insubstantial guy 'cause it's easy.)

Unless God was on the company stockholder board, of course, but I don't remember Him showing up at any of the quarterly meetings.
Otherwise, sounds like your complaint was "Why didn't God make things better for me?"--I'm sorry, did you say "sixteen", or "six"?


Back then, that was my response (for the record I was on 4-6 drugs my doctors were pumping me full of for health conditions I won't speak of here). Now, I neither confirm nor deny existence of a God. I'm Agnostic and I'm very happy that way. Maybe there is a God, maybe there isn't but if there turns out to be I wouldn't care to know him/her/it.


Okay, let's make the question a little clearer: It sounds like you've got least twenty people to blame, why pick on Him??
That's like getting a bad meal in a restaurant, and instead of complaining to the chef or headwaiter, kicking the doorman on the way out...Like he had anything to do with it??
God, being a parental figure, takes the same stance as your mom: If you've got a mess, YOU be the grownup and clean it up, because who started it anyway?...But if anyone needs a hug, the door's always open.

Athies complain that prayer is basically "Please change the laws of the universe to suit me"...And then they throw a big tantrum and call Him a meanie when he doesn't.
Maybe what He provides is that the realization that the world can be a stinky place, but we don't have to act stinky ourselves to stay in it. Maybe we deal with things without big self-destructive outlets or tantrums at the world, and in the process, maybe help other people with it. (Like say, if other people burned by the company got together.)
And the fact that we learn that doing and inner strength, and not pity-parties or tantrums, is what makes the world a better place, that's when we realize we've finally passed the age of...(oh, well, you probably see this punchline coming by now.)
6628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 8/25/15
If I had a gun, sure.
7401 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 8/25/15 , edited 8/25/15

Ejanss wrote:



Okay, let's make the question a little clearer: It sounds like you've got least twenty people to blame, why pick on Him??
That's like getting a bad meal in a restaurant, and instead of complaining to the chef or headwaiter, kicking the doorman on the way out...Like he had anything to do with it??
God, being a parental figure, takes the same stance as your mom: If you've got a mess, YOU be the grownup and clean it up, because who started it anyway?...But if anyone needs a hug, the door's always open.

Athies complain that prayer is basically "Please change the laws of the universe to suit me"...And then they throw a big tantrum and call Him a meanie when he doesn't.
Maybe what He provides is that the realization that the world can be a stinky place, but we don't have to act stinky ourselves to stay in it. Maybe we deal with things without big self-destructive outlets or tantrums at the world, and in the process, maybe help other people with it. (Like say, if other people burned by the company got together.)
And the fact that we learn that doing and inner strength, and not pity-parties or tantrums, is what makes the world a better place, that's when we realize we've finally passed the age of...(oh, well, you probably see this punchline coming by now.)


As I explained I'm not comfortable posting my reasons for changing religion here, but if you'd like to speak on PM I think you will at least understand the way I feel even if you do not agree with it.
8281 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Satellite Beach, FL
Offline
Posted 8/25/15
I just got home and said f-this and had two glasses of wine just because. I think that counts as self destruction.
Mind you, two glasses is nothing. But I didn't want wine, I just needed it. And actually I needed it to be a hard liquor. Too bad. I have too much responsibility to be hung over. Soooooo yep. Idk don't mind me. I don't know what I'm saying.
Posted 8/25/15
First thing that popped in my mind...



To answer your question though. no. I have no reason in my life to want to self-destruct.
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/25/15
Self destructed when I was younger.

Picked myself up and rebuilt my person after that. Made myself stronger for it. There's a point within misery where we have to face if we are willing to drown in our rainfalls.

20890 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 8/25/15
Flood the server, burn the ram, magnet the hard drives, that my only I would self destruct something.
4009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Abyss
Online
Posted 8/25/15
Dark_Alma used explode. Enemy Charizard fainted!

On a serious note, I have self destructed personally. Will probably try again in the future as well. Who knows what it will bring? All I know is I am more tenacious then a cockroach. Rat poison, Carbon Monoxide and asphyxiation cant seem to kill me.

I don't like guns too much. Pistols and shotguns have a change of leaving you in a vegetative state. Rather not have to have my family say to "put him down." Carbon monoxide was probably the best though. Just like falling asleep. Didn't like rat poison... tasted horrid as a wine mixer. Turns out you can also dangle for 30 minutes or more if you hang yourself w/o breaking your neck! I don't suggest that as well!
Posted 8/25/15
yes. always breaking down and destroying myself.
35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/25/15 , edited 8/25/15

Ejanss wrote:

Okay, let's make the question a little clearer: It sounds like you've got least twenty people to blame, why pick on Him?? That's like getting a bad meal in a restaurant, and instead of complaining to the chef or headwaiter, kicking the doorman on the way out...Like he had anything to do with it??


Actually, it isn't.

Last I checked doormen weren't omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, omnibenevolent, all-loving, and timeless, so your analogy doesn't actually hold up. The most important assumption in your comparison is that the doorman is for whatever reason unable to affect whether bad food is served, meaning he ought to be absolved of any blame for the quality of the meal. Clearly a being with the long list of characteristics above could never claim to be unable to affect any situation in whatever way it chose, so the inaction on the part of this imaginary divine doorman was deliberate.

Since we have no problem blaming ordinary people for failing to act to prevent or resolve problems they knew about and could've prevented or resolved without difficulty or inconvenience (seriously, why wouldn't we?) there is no problem holding this imaginary divine doorman responsible for the low quality of the food. At the very least he easily could've warned the manager, the server, the chef, the consumer preparing to eat the food, or pretty much anyone else, and then offered a clear course of action that this alternate actor ought to follow to resolve the problem if needed.


God, being a parental figure, takes the same stance as your mom: If you've got a mess, YOU be the grownup and clean it up, because who started it anyway?...But if anyone needs a hug, the door's always open.

Athies complain that prayer is basically "Please change the laws of the universe to suit me"...And then they throw a big tantrum and call Him a meanie when he doesn't.
Maybe what He provides is that the realization that the world can be a stinky place, but we don't have to act stinky ourselves to stay in it. Maybe we deal with things without big self-destructive outlets or tantrums at the world, and in the process, maybe help other people with it. (Like say, if other people burned by the company got together.)
And the fact that we learn that doing and inner strength, and not pity-parties or tantrums, is what makes the world a better place, that's when we realize we've finally passed the age of...(oh, well, you probably see this punchline coming by now.)


If that's what your faith provides you, the will to act to reduce suffering, then well enough. Still, the problem of evil is a legitimate question about the purported characteristics of God given the nature of the world around us which has been debated for thousands of years. You refer to a pair of proposed solutions thereto, and they're solutions which are not without issues. There are, therefore, people who will not be convinced by your appeals to a broader plan to improve us as beings by allowing suffering to be inflicted upon us (in fact some will argue that an omnipotent and omniscient being could just as readily find a way to spur personal and spiritual growth which need not involve suffering even if it did firmly believe that some results ought to be earned), and there are those who will not be convinced that the world is the way it is because of the results of a single run of one social experiment with no particular reason why the penalties for failure ought to be so severe and widespread.
9017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
White Rock, BC
Offline
Posted 8/25/15
Self destruction can be healthy.

After experiencing failure, frustration or strife one can consider: "Is there a part of me worth shedding? Do I need to trim my own fat? Lose some of my baggage? Check my own ego?"

Some say creation is a cycle of destruction and rebirth. Sometimes circumstance does the destruction. Sometimes you need to be your own demolition crew.

You know . . . sometimes.
2331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / athens, greece.
Offline
Posted 8/25/15
“The worst part about anything that’s self destructive is that it’s so intimate. You become so close with your addictions and illnesses that leaving them behind is like killing the part of yourself that taught you how to survive.”
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/25/15 , edited 8/26/15
Why bother?Time is taking care of it for me.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.