First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Whites in poverty
Posted 9/1/15 , edited 9/14/15
* clicks on threads*

...
...
...
..
...
*hits the back button*
22891 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 9/1/15
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/1/15

biscuitnote wrote:

If poverty is blamed for bad schools and crime and whites have the largest number of poor. Why are they not leading in the number of failing schools and leading all the categories of violent crimes?


Poverty alone does not equal crime. Community plays a large role as well.

One of the best communities I have ever had the privilege of visiting was Kimball, WV. Dirt poor, inbred, the only jobs were the mines and Wal-Mart.

The people of that town, poor as they were, put more money in my jar as a bell ringer for the Salvation Army than any of the other, far wealthier areas. I had people in patchwork coats buy me coffee because I looked cold. When someone walked by obviously drunk, a couple of guys, coal dust still on their faces, took care of him without raising a ruckus. The families did not have much, but they took pride in everything they did have.

Posted 9/1/15
You know considering how whites make up 73% of the population, of course in numbers, it might be greater obviously.

But, seeing as how every other race takes up the rest if the 34% yet are still more in poverty than whites that's a problem considering the numbers in their whole group converted into percentages.
Which is higher than whites.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 9/1/15

Dariamus wrote:


biscuitnote wrote:

If poverty is blamed for bad schools and crime and whites have the largest number of poor. Why are they not leading in the number of failing schools and leading all the categories of violent crimes?


Poverty alone does not equal crime. Community plays a large role as well.

One of the best communities I have ever had the privilege of visiting was Kimball, WV. Dirt poor, inbred, the only jobs were the mines and Wal-Mart.

The people of that town, poor as they were, put more money in my jar as a bell ringer for the Salvation Army than any of the other, far wealthier areas. I had people in patchwork coats buy me coffee because I looked cold. When someone walked by obviously drunk, a couple of guys, coal dust still on their faces, took care of him without raising a ruckus. The families did not have much, but they took pride in everything they did have.



Kinda reminds me of a story about what the local police would do right before wintertime. They would drive around and "arrest" all the bums, take them into jail, get them completely checked out, teeth pulled, food, showers, shit like that, then would give them all cold weather gear and new sleeping bags before the temps got too bad.

They stopped doing it when it turned into a civil rights issue and county pissing match, none of which these two groups did anything to really help the bums for winter, but hey, at least they stood up to "The Man" Mind you, this was going back, 35, 40 years now, and was told to me by an officer with the badge number of one...
17175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 9/1/15

sebaf74 wrote:




Someone can't into math.

What's a larger number, 10% of 250 million or 50% of 25 million?


Nothing like comparing two populations of different size and basing the comparison in total numbers instead of percentages to make dumb points. Way to go.

BTW, "Someone can't into math" Sounds more like "Someone can't into English"
Were you honestly expecting logic from this thread?
991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/1/15

biscuitnote wrote:

If poverty is blamed for bad schools and crime and whites have the largest number of poor. Why are they not leading in the number of failing schools and leading all the categories of violent crimes?



actually whites do lead in a majority of violent crimes according to FBI statistics. With some crimes, they're ahead by a factor of 8 times as much as the next highest ethnic group

Posted 9/1/15
what even is this thread tho
Posted 9/1/15

ignitingmemories wrote:

what even is this thread tho

a mess
Posted 9/1/15
If I didn't have a massive headache I'd probably contribute.

.
3460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / The Mothership
Offline
Posted 9/1/15
Poverty while talked about is something you wouldn't want to experience I witness it on a daily basis in the area I live in and no matter what race you are it's not a joking or cute thing it's a downright ugly beast I've experienced it and while this thread might be click bait I clicked it and I clicked it as a witness and a firsthand experiencer. Even if experts think there is a correlation in failing grades and poverty some of those impoverished students are smarter than those student who are perceived as middle to upper class bookworms because of the strive to be something now I'm not saying that those students in better financial situations don't care it's just I can relate and sympathize with those students who live in or around broken neighborhoods wanting to be successful not necessarily with a million dollars but successful in mind, spirit, body and of course money.
41260 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/1/15

VZ68 wrote:


sebaf74 wrote:




Someone can't into math.

What's a larger number, 10% of 250 million or 50% of 25 million?


Nothing like comparing two populations of different size and basing the comparison in total numbers instead of percentages to make dumb points. Way to go.

BTW, "Someone can't into math" Sounds more like "Someone can't into English"


Answer the question.


Since whoever you were replying to clearly doesn't feel the need to further explain, I shall. Have you ever taken part in an experiment or study? You take the numbers and form them into a percentage to get a general consensus. His point is that when you have 50-250 million participants in the study the percentages are normally a good indicator. To throw out the percentages and say well they don't have exactly equal number of participants is the equivalent of forsaking a lot basic studies and experiments. If not for anticipating and prediction through percentages(thus numbers) we'd be all but lost in this day and age. You clearly lack a basic comprehension of not only math, but its impact on the world itself. I won't even get into physics smh. Hopefully one day you'll understand that percentages are a good indicator for comparison among other statistics/numbers you'll probably just pettifog your way out of it saying you were talking about something entirely different going from your past replies... but the point is that you are utterly false in saying "Nothing like comparing two populations of different size and basing the comparison in total numbers instead of percentages to make dumb points. Way to go."
3460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / The Mothership
Offline
Posted 9/1/15
Was my post completely ignored?
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 9/1/15

GodOfFlash wrote:


VZ68 wrote:


sebaf74 wrote:




Someone can't into math.

What's a larger number, 10% of 250 million or 50% of 25 million?


Nothing like comparing two populations of different size and basing the comparison in total numbers instead of percentages to make dumb points. Way to go.

BTW, "Someone can't into math" Sounds more like "Someone can't into English"


Answer the question.


Since whoever you were replying to clearly doesn't feel the need to further explain, I shall. Have you ever taken part in an experiment or study? You take the numbers and form them into a percentage to get a general consensus. His point is that when you have 50-250 million participants in the study the percentages are normally a good indicator. To throw out the percentages and say well they don't have exactly equal number of participants is the equivalent of forsaking a lot basic studies and experiments. If not for anticipating and prediction through percentages(thus numbers) we'd be all but lost in this day and age. You clearly lack a basic comprehension of not only math, but its impact on the world itself. I won't even get into physics smh. Hopefully one day you'll understand that percentages are a good indicator for comparison among other statistics/numbers you'll probably just pettifog your way out of it saying you were talking about something entirely different going from your past replies... but the point is that you are utterly false in saying "Nothing like comparing two populations of different size and basing the comparison in total numbers instead of percentages to make dumb points. Way to go."


If you go back and read the OP post, you'll find out something amazing.




If poverty is blamed for bad schools and crime and whites have the largest number of poor. Why are they not leading in the number of failing schools and leading all the categories of violent crimes?


Now what you and the other person have done is gone "no no no, that's false! More of this is true!"

Then you paint yourselves into a huge corner and can't explain yourself out of it when a graphic, which I'm sure the OP and myself have both seen, get dropped into the thread. The it's katy bar the door time.

The percent game is a good way to game shit, until it bites you hard on the ass.

Such as the fact that most obese nation is the world has like a 98% obesity rate. Sounds extremely horrible, until you find out the country has a population of 100K and come from a race of people that have always been fat.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 9/1/15

Markest1 wrote:

Poverty while talked about is something you wouldn't want to experience I witness it on a daily basis in the area I live in and no matter what race you are it's not a joking or cute thing it's a downright ugly beast I've experienced it and while this thread might be click bait I clicked it and I clicked it as a witness and a firsthand experiencer. Even if experts think there is a correlation in failing grades and poverty some of those impoverished students are smarter than those student who are perceived as middle to upper class bookworms because of the strive to be something now I'm not saying that those students in better financial situations don't care it's just I can relate and sympathize with those students who live in or around broken neighborhoods wanting to be successful not necessarily with a million dollars but successful in mind, spirit, body and of course money.


At least you aren't Gary IN.

What you don't know is that there is pretty good information out there that if you keep pressing this line of thought is going to get dropped and this thread will turn into a major shitstorm.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.