First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Will urban areas ever be truly family friendly
2047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 9/1/15
We all know about the recent culture shift which has resulted in an urban residential surge. More and more people are living in lofts, restoring historic homes, and (controversially) gentrifying blighted neighborhoods.

But by and large these urban newcomers are single, married-without-kids, or retired. Particularly those living in lofts, which are being built left and right. Thus, many people assume that when these single people finally get married, or when these married people finally have kids, that the party will be over, and an urban bust will follow. And when you consider the noise, traffic, crime (real or perceived) and general lack of quality public schools, playgrounds and other family-friendly amenities, it makes sense.

However, there are a lot of people with HUGE investments in this recent boom, and I doubt they plan to sit idly by while their condo buildings and mixed-use developments go belly up. So my question is, how do you expect these newly revived urban neighborhoods to evolve to accommodate family life? Or perhaps you expect them to to evolve at all?

Speak up!

19863 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
69 / M / Limbo
Offline
Posted 9/1/15
I don't think the areas that are going through gentrification model themselves with family in mind. Thats been an age old thing. "Start a family and move to the suburbs." But there are plenty of people who work around it tho.
2047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 9/1/15

DRO1 wrote:

I don't think the areas that are going through gentrification model themselves with family in mind. Thats been an age old thing. "Start a family and move to the suburbs." But there are plenty of people who work around it tho.


The reason most move to suburbs is most urban schools are subpar. Will that always be the case though? I am talkin about public schools not private.
18054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 9/1/15
But you're still living.
Posted 9/1/15

onibrotonel wrote:

But you're still living.


^
27705 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / TX
Offline
Posted 9/1/15 , edited 9/1/15
I don't know if this would make things more family friendly and to be honest I hate these people so much but they do keep property values somewhat stable. Home Owners Association's. I hate the one I have to deal with so much
Way I see it is if your home is worth next to nothing the people who live their really won't care too much about the upkeep but if that home is now worth 80 to 100 thousand then the people who live there should be a little more proactive in keeping the neighborhood cleaner.
A nice neighborhood brings in more people willing to open businesses and that in turn helps provides more security for the area Of course it's all speculation on my part but well that my 2 cents.
Posted 9/1/15
Compton is pretty family friendly. Playing games like shoot out and gangbang are always fun family fun.
Posted 9/1/15 , edited 9/1/15
Get rid of the trashy, ghetto, hood-rat people that ruin every single area they live in and you'll get family friendly.

I'm all for gentrification, especially when the people moving in will not turn nice areas into war zone hoods.

8389 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 9/1/15 , edited 9/2/15

teallerina wrote:

Get rid of the trashy, ghetto, hood-rat people that ruin every single area they live in and you'll get family friendly.

I'm all for gentrification, especially when the people moving in will not turn nice areas into war zone hoods.



I'm all in for bullets flying around your ears.
Posted 9/1/15

underlock wrote:

I'm all in for bullets flying around your ears.


I'd rather it through the head, personally.

Just victims of the in-house drive-by
They say jump, you say how high
Just victims of the in-house drive-by
They say jump, you say how high
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/2/15

biscuitnote wrote:


DRO1 wrote:

I don't think the areas that are going through gentrification model themselves with family in mind. Thats been an age old thing. "Start a family and move to the suburbs." But there are plenty of people who work around it tho.


The reason most move to suburbs is most urban schools are subpar. Will that always be the case though? I am talkin about public schools not private.


I noticed you left out prejudice and bigotry as a reason that people leave an inner city.Do you think it doesn't exist or do you believe it's not part of the overall equation?
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/2/15

teallerina wrote:

Get rid of the trashy, ghetto, hood-rat people that ruin every single area they live in and you'll get family friendly.

I'm all for gentrification, especially when the people moving in will not turn nice areas into war zone hoods.



I remember similar comments being made about the Warsaw ghetto by another party.
2047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 9/2/15

pirththee wrote:


biscuitnote wrote:


DRO1 wrote:

I don't think the areas that are going through gentrification model themselves with family in mind. Thats been an age old thing. "Start a family and move to the suburbs." But there are plenty of people who work around it tho.


The reason most move to suburbs is most urban schools are subpar. Will that always be the case though? I am talkin about public schools not private.


I noticed you left out prejudice and bigotry as a reason that people leave an inner city.Do you think it doesn't exist or do you believe it's not part of the overall equation?


Not to many people want to send there kids to schools that are subpar. I suppose it's bigotry in the radical lefts eyes to want the best for your children.
2047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 9/2/15

pirththee wrote:


teallerina wrote:

Get rid of the trashy, ghetto, hood-rat people that ruin every single area they live in and you'll get family friendly.

I'm all for gentrification, especially when the people moving in will not turn nice areas into war zone hoods.



I remember similar comments being made about the Warsaw ghetto by another party.


Why don't you go move to Baltimore I'm sure your love and tolerance will overcome the high crime rate there. Try to move to the toughest black neigjborhood.
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/2/15

biscuitnote wrote:


pirththee wrote:


biscuitnote wrote:


DRO1 wrote:

I don't think the areas that are going through gentrification model themselves with family in mind. Thats been an age old thing. "Start a family and move to the suburbs." But there are plenty of people who work around it tho.


The reason most move to suburbs is most urban schools are subpar. Will that always be the case though? I am talkin about public schools not private.


I noticed you left out prejudice and bigotry as a reason that people leave an inner city.Do you think it doesn't exist or do you believe it's not part of the overall equation?


Not to many people want to send there kids to schools that are subpar. I suppose it's bigotry in the radical lefts eyes to want the best for your children.


It doesn't make any difference which side of the political spectrum you role play from bigotry is bigotry.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.