First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Why Good Anime Is Hard To Make
15026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/2/15
I don't know if this has been posted before,
but it's very informative so i though i'd share it.

https://youtu.be/-AHo-_XEV6E

the video is by Digibro.
6090 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / US
Offline
Posted 9/2/15

    That's a good video that breaks everything down into layman's terms. I think it's safe to say that most heavy anime / manga fans realize that without their contributions the companies will go under, but that doesn't stop the people who pay absolutely nothing consistently. It's a little scary for those of us who grew up with anime to see the market dying, especially in the west.
Posted 9/2/15

The anime industry is not dying. The anime industry valued when up 10 percent last year.


Total market value for Japan, overseas estimated at 1.63 trillion yen
The Association of Japanese Animations (AJA) released details from its "Anime Industry Report 2015," which examines industry trends from 2014, on Tuesday.

According to the report, the total market value of the anime industry in 2014 was 1.63 trillion yen (about US$13.5 billion), up about 10% from 2013's 1.49 trillion yen (about US$12.4 billion).

The AJA attributes part of this success to merchandise and the sale of streaming rights in China. Last year, the report noted an increase the number of anime exhibits and events, such as anime song concerts and musicals.

The Animation Market Analysis Project of Japan's Media Development Research Institute (MDRI) released a report on Japan's domestic animation market earlier this year. The report estimated a record high for the sale of domestic and foreign animation within Japan in 2013.


http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-08-25/report-anime-industry-up-10-percent-in-2014/.92114
42532 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/2/15
Will there ever be a borderline?
6090 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / US
Offline
Posted 9/2/15 , edited 9/2/15


    I specified the west. It is no secret that here many English production companies have shut down. Apparently over the last two consecutive years, there has been a substantial rise in anime / manga sales, even in North America. A lot of people are crediting Attack on Titan for 2014's numbers, so yes, you're right, there was in increase in sales globally. Do I still think that the future of anime in North America is grim at best? Probably. The industry is changing, not to say that we don't hope for the best. You might find these interesting:

    http://ajw.asahi.com/article/cool_japan/anime_news/AJ201504220032

    http://kotaku.com/evangelion-creator-predicts-the-death-of-anime-1706738732
Posted 9/2/15 , edited 9/2/15

ayaundwolf wrote:



    I specified the west. It is no secret that here many English production companies have shut down. Apparently over the last two consecutive years, there has been a substantial rise in anime / manga sales, even in North America. A lot of people are crediting Attack on Titan for 2014's numbers, so yes, you're right, there was in increase in sales globally. Do I still think that the future of anime in North America is grim at best? Probably. The industry is changing, not to say that we don't hope for the best. You might find these interesting:

    http://ajw.asahi.com/article/cool_japan/anime_news/AJ201504220032

    http://kotaku.com/evangelion-creator-predicts-the-death-of-anime-1706738732

The Kotaku one I disagree. The reason they are having less sales of anime isn't because there not marke for it. Nor because there not people who like that kind of anime. Nor is because of fanservice. Neither is cliches. The main and only real reason is the insane prices of DVD AND BLUE RAYS. They are asking people to pay 60.00$ or more, for some a cased only containing one or 2 episodes. In a era that the world is recovering from a economic crises and streaming is prevalent.
23208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Long Island
Offline
Posted 9/2/15
That was very informative, it seems like some of the explanation can be applied to other types of media too. Companies for any media have to make a profit, so putting time and money into something that reaches the widest audience is the safest bet. Unfortunately, the types of media that appeal to the greatest number of people often don't have the quality we'd like to see. I'd love to see more anime similar to Ghost in the Shell or Ergo Proxy, but those shows don't appeal to enough people. Instead we get more of the types of shows that are popular, which is not to say they're all bad but the market is oversaturated with them.
6090 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / US
Offline
Posted 9/2/15

KarenAraragi wrote:


ayaundwolf wrote:



    I specified the west. It is no secret that here many English production companies have shut down. Apparently over the last two consecutive years, there has been a substantial rise in anime / manga sales, even in North America. A lot of people are crediting Attack on Titan for 2014's numbers, so yes, you're right, there was in increase in sales globally. Do I still think that the future of anime in North America is grim at best? Probably. The industry is changing, not to say that we don't hope for the best. You might find these interesting:

    http://ajw.asahi.com/article/cool_japan/anime_news/AJ201504220032

    http://kotaku.com/evangelion-creator-predicts-the-death-of-anime-1706738732

The Kotaku one I disagree. The reason they are having less sales of anime isn't because there not marke for it. Nor because there not people who like that kind of anime. Nor is because of fanservice. Neither is cliches. The main and only real reason is the insane prices of DVD AND BLUE RAYS. They are asking people to pay 60.00$ or more, for some a cased only containing one or 2 episodes. In a era that the world is recovering from a economic crises and streaming is prevalent.


    I wasn't citing it as conclusive proof, I just thought it as interesting. While I was perusing sales figures that crap came up. I understand that perhaps his thinks that his style of psychological and sometimes pretentious anime is dying out, but talking about something like mainstream shoujo or shounen it's a different story.


30204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 9/2/15

KarenAraragi
The main and only real reason is the insane prices of DVD AND BLUE RAYS. They are asking people to pay 60.00$ or more, for some a cased only containing one or 2 episodes.


I haven't watched the video yet, though I plan to a bit later today when I have time, but this^ is the one and only reason I very rarely buy anime. I can't afford most of what I want, and the few things I can afford oftentimes aren't worth it (to me). Not when I could spend the same money on something else that I'd enjoy more or for a longer period of time.

I especially hate Aniplex for this exact reason. Don't get me wrong, I love the detail they put into a release, but it's so ridiculously expensive I wouldn't be able to afford it if I saved up all year for it. And before someone pops up with the cliched "get a job" response, I'm disabled otherwise I would've done that years ago. (Apologies for the aggression at the end there, but I'm used to the GameFAQs forums...)
Posted 9/2/15


Isn't that his anime is no popular. Is that they seen to think people are made of money. And that why those kind of series suffer more.

27982 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / America
Offline
Posted 9/2/15
For every new slice-of-life show that defies the stereotypes, there are 10 new shit ones.
19921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / A town called "Ci...
Offline
Posted 9/2/15
22408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Offline
Posted 9/3/15
I saw the video earlier this week actually!



And the argument that Anime/Animation/Any Media is too expensive to make is a big fat dirty excuse.


"it's too hard to make!" is only a good excuse when you're talking about international self sufficient Space station on the moon, not about a T.V. show that's produced not just yearly, but thrice yearly by a large number of major studios.
People already make Anime, it happens. Good anime doesn't even require good or expensive animation! You have a ton of Cartoons that produce quality content for fractions of the cost some of the biggest budgeted anime do. And even if it's extremely expensive...it's still made! CONSTANTLY! WE'RE TALKING ON A WEBSITE THAT STREAMS OVER 20 BRAND-NEW ANIME EVERY 4 OR SO MONTHS!


To paraphrase a quote from the creator of Gundam himself, Yoshiyuki Tomino, "When I saw it(Bambi), i knew that i could never replicate it. It's far too difficult for me to ever do. So i instead decided to focus on good storytelling"


ayaundwolf wrote:


I specified the west. It is no secret that here many English production companies have shut down. Apparently over the last two consecutive years, there has been a substantial rise in anime / manga sales, even in North America. A lot of people are crediting Attack on Titan for 2014's numbers, so yes, you're right, there was in increase in sales globally. Do I still think that the future of anime in North America is grim at best? Probably. The industry is changing, not to say that we don't hope for the best. You might find these interesting:


And to dial it to where you guys are talking. Japan has a long, storied history about it's failure to understand the western market.

What companies are you talking about here? Bandai America? The bastards that created a distribution company when they decided that American companies like Sentai FIlmworks and Funimation were selling dvd's at those low low prices, and thought they should cut out that middle man, make all the profit, and make MORE profit because they're selling things at a more proper price? THOSE dipshits?

Yeah, these Japanese Priced shows released by these Japan-run Distribution companies all died out, of course they died out! They have no understanding of the western market. They don't realize things like Hollywood, a literal broodmother of all types of film, lives and thrives over here.

In Japan, they have Anime movies and regular movies filling their theaters.

In America, we don't have space for them less-than-perfect Anime's. Only Studio Ghibli and a select few titles have a snowballs chance of making the cut.


While Japan toils away at niche anime for niche collector markets, the large....very large....AMERICAN SIZED MARKET OF THE WEST is completely ignored. They assumed that America wasn't interested in Anime when they didn't buy those 25 episodes of Gundam for 120 bucks, half a damn season for 120....HALF A DAMN SEASON OF AN ANIME MADE IN 1979. RIGHT STUFF IS OFFERING THE SAME DAMN THING FOR 30 NOW THAT THEY GOT THE LICENSE! I'm really happy to be picking up OG Gundam ok?

Hell, it's not just Anime. Various Video Game companies and famous developers are floundering title after title right now. They have no idea how to market to audiences outside of Japan, while even countries like Poland, fucking POLAND, realize that the only way to make a profit is to make and sell things on a global market, that's why The Witcher is so awesome.



And we havn't even BEGUN to talk about how poorly Animators are treated and paid. Those fuckers are working on Slave Labor over there, SLAVE LABOR. CAPITALS FOR EMPHASIS. Animators tend to move over to the Video Game Industry just because they're paid and treated better making art for a game rather than animate some generic guy face plant into some panties.



This topic is DEEP. Got layers like an Onion.


SO, about the video... It's a good video, it's completely correct.
But it's the wrong conversation. Don't sit here and tell me it's too expensive to make a good show. We already make good shows all the god damned time. It's not our, the consumer's, problem.

Risk = Reward. If you don't take risks, you don't get rewards. If Japanese Investors want to keep selling generic crap, pandering to those niche collectors, they're going to get exactly what they spent back out of them.

If someone wants to spend some money, make something nice, and sell it to a wide demographic audience, they can get some money.
It's risky, sometimes you make some shit out of all that money.....

But I'm more interested in watching people try to make something awesome rather than half-ass something crappy.
366 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/3/15
People only have themselves to blame with what they watch, stop watching bad anime
19132 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/3/15

Kanino26 wrote:

People only have themselves to blame with what they watch, stop watching bad anime :)


What is bad anime?
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.