First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
White Lady Goes Crazy Because She Got Green Peppers Instead Of Red
51225 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 9/8/15

dragontackle wrote:

So is this that white privilege ive been hearing about?


More like entitlement. She wasn't getting any special treatment. She just believed that she should've gotten special treatment.
804 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/8/15
Geesh. They were speaking English quite well, so I don't think that had anything to do with the mistake. Wrong orders happen once in a while. That lady had no reason to be so rude.
One Punch Mod
85857 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 9/8/15 , edited 9/8/15
Being bitchy about not getting exactly what you ordered is one thing (rude, yes, but most of us have gotten cranky like that at one time or another).

But doing that "speak English!" thing is beyond rude. It's narrow-minded xenophobia, and when I see it it makes me disgusted and angry.

(BTW, I like both green and red bell peppers but they do taste different. When they have ripened to red they are sweeter and less bitter, so having a preference makes sense to me.)
18054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 9/8/15 , edited 9/8/15
I'm different in approach. I get startled. @_@ Sometimes, it feels like I have to place my order real fast because it feels like the cashier/server can easily lose interest at me and attend another customer. I actually look at the body gestures of a cashier/server to guess their patience. =T

Subways, Moe's, Chipotles are a few examples that I barely get what I wanted. It takes me a lot of time just to pick my first choice (of a bread) and the sauce. Geez

Went to PeiWei yesterday, already planned getting the 8 pc of Kung Pao Shrimp Roll and two bowls of soup. Meh. I ended up ordering the 8pc but two pieces of crab wonton instead. Got startled again. =_=#
19921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / in the land of th...
Offline
Posted 9/8/15
hoax, I hope.

I might have dumped a case of red peppers over her pinhead , screeched as I shoved her ,peppers and all, outside on the sidewalk and scheeched.."I quit, ya damned maggots!"
24154 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43
Offline
Posted 9/8/15 , edited 9/8/15
She's right to blame these people for not speaking the language correct and not taking her order correctly. If i start working in China in a restaurant, and i am unable to speak Chinese and get the orders wrong as a result. Who is to blame? Me of course for not knowing the language and not integrating in society and not adjusting to Chinese culture. She had reason to complain, and to say she is crazy is too presumptuous .
804 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/8/15

zetalore wrote:

She's right to blame these people for not speaking the language correct and not taking her order correctly. If i start working in China in a restaurant, and i am unable to speak Chinese and get the orders wrong as a result. Who is to blame? Me of course for not knowing the language and not integrating in society and not adjusting to Chinese culture. She had reason to complain, and to say she is crazy is too presumptuous .


First of all, I don't think language barrier was a factor in the wrong order. The person she was speaking to, at least, seemed to know English fairly well. Secondly, NOTHING excuses this woman's behavior, even though I agree that, as a common courtesy, they should speak English in front of the customer.
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/8/15
Why isn't it just a lady? Why is it a "White Lady"?What does her race have to do with it?Being a xenophobic bigot isn't race specific.
29741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Fraxinus
Offline
Posted 9/8/15 , edited 9/8/15
At least she lost even more dignity with her topnotch door opening skills. Seriously, much respect to the employees because I sure as hell know it would have taken me a lot of self-restraint to not mouth off back at her. I hope that she was just stressed out that day, but still, she didn't give off that vibe. I mean, come on, "My kids don't eat green things"? Either that's an exaggeration in the heat of the moment, or she's definitely not winning any mothering awards any time soon.


zetalore wrote:

She's right to blame these people for not speaking the language correct and not taking her order correctly. If i start working in China in a restaurant, and i am unable to speak Chinese and get the orders wrong as a result. Who is to blame? Me of course for not knowing the language and not integrating in society and not adjusting to Chinese culture. She had reason to complain, and to say she is crazy is too presumptuous .


They were speaking the language correctly, though. People can be multilingual, you know? To say, "you must speak the language of the country while working at ALL times!" is incredibly unreasonable, and insensitive to the culture of the individual. So they were speaking in their mother tongue, with each other, at work, it's not like that's what they were doing with the customers. Are people so nosy and paranoid that they must know what everyone is saying, even if it doesn't concern them in the slightest?

I can't agree with your argument, because they obviously did speak good English. It may have just been a mistake, since that's how it's usually made. Even if it was a language issue, that doesn't excuse the fact that she was excessively rude to the employees. When the smallest of things go wrong, should we all just yell and be rude at the employees?

If they feel more comfortable talking in their first language, together, why not let them? Let's take your China example. If a friend and I went to China, having learned to speak and read the language, then we both got a job at a fast food restaurant, why shouldn't we be allowed to speak in English with one another, if we're far more comfortable with that, and we don't need to speak another language to communicate?

Really I never understand people's obsession with workers speaking another language with each other, if they can still speak the native language well. It all just seems like paranoia and nosiness to me.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 9/8/15 , edited 9/8/15

Player1LFG wrote: Woah, hey hey - I hear you. I've worked nothing but service.
I've had my collar grabbed, drinks thrown at me, and I've been slapped on the job.
I know that it's "wrong", but people do this sort of thing everyday. Like I said, I'd know. This is just yelling though.
Yes, sadly people are common to think of people working in the service, like if they are dolls or something they can just use or is just another behind the counter etc.
See it too often and sometimes you can't blame them for acting this way (atleast its better some areas then others)

pirththee wrote: Why isn't it just a lady? Why is it a "White Lady"?What does her race have to do with it?
She likes to do that.. and some other stuff

lorreen wrote: But doing that "speak English!" thing is beyond rude. It's narrow-minded xenophobia, and when I see it it makes me disgusted and angry.
Would not really say so but in a scenario like this then yes.
Else is better to communicate when you should and don't go all azsdfehu.. and don't want to say it to your face or they know how to speak it but leaves it out for -reasons-..
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/8/15 , edited 9/8/15

ayaundwolf wrote:


    #firstworldproblems



pirththee wrote:

Why isn't it just a lady? Why is it a "White Lady"?What does her race have to do with it?Being a xenophobic bigot isn't race specific.

Agreed.

This has nothing to do with color.
6979 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / The Bottom of the...
Offline
Posted 9/8/15
Kudos to the receptionist lady for being patient with an ignorant person like that blonde lady. I wonder how does her husband COPE, knowing his only wife has asperger.

The lady should really be banned from all foreign speaking restaurants. Just imagine how'll she react if her children watch subbed anime on this site. She will probably post a thread demanding American-made cartoons.
14747 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/8/15

pirththee wrote:

Why isn't it just a lady? Why is it a "White Lady"?What does her race have to do with it?Being a xenophobic bigot isn't race specific.


'Cause white people be CRAZY!!

(But yes, the header distinction was noted here, too.)
46427 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/8/15
She might have overreacted but i can understand her.
If i order something i expect to get it especially if my time is limited.
If the service screws up i will complain about it and if they than start speaking to each other in a language i can not understand i will get pissed as well.
Its rude its obvious they talk about me in front of me in a language i do not understand and that is rude.
It also does not matter if people believe red and green peppers are the same or not she will have a reason why she wants red and that's all that matters vegetarians do not have any reason not to eat meat other than they want to either so why discriminate the refusal to eat green peppers.

Pretty much comes down to "Do your job right" and all is fine.
49109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/8/15
Bell Peppers are just an ultra right wing plot to subjugate the "Great Unwashed" by murdering their taste buds. I'd rather vote Republican than eat one.Red Thai and Bhut Jolokia forever!This has been an unpaid political rant produced by a self appointed committee of one that is unanimous in this.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.