First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply SCHOOL-LIVE plot is terrible? (SPOILERS for those who haven't seen the show)
4846 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F
Online
Posted 9/14/15

Gin-To-Ki wrote:

But then i realized, its stupid to keep her delusional , but she's needed for a good story, meaning its a terrible plot. The fact that it's stupid to keep her delusional and the fact that she has to stay like that for the good of the anime, is a bad thing, the 2 facts contradict each other and what does it create? a terrible plot.



First, this is not how facts work. As you admit later, this is all your opinion. Opinions are not facts. Say it with me. Opinions are not facts.

My opinion is that the plot and in particular the pacing of this show are outstanding. Neither, as I see it, depend on Yuki being delusional. Yuki's delusions contribute to the style, theme and atmosphere of the show. If she were not delusional, those things would be different, but I do not see how it would significantly change the plot of the show, except in that first episode. (Note: plot is the actual events that happen that move the story along.) And, in my opinion, it is primarily the style, theme and atmosphere of the show that make it stand out so I think it would be a much poorer show without Yuki's delusions. It would be more of an average, been there done that, zombie apocalypse show.

As far as actual arguments for not giving Yuki a reality check go, I can think of several:

1. As has already been mentioned more than once, waking up a delusional person is not a simple matter. If the attempt doesn't go well, a delusional person can become dangerous to both themselves and those around them. There is no reason to believe the attempt would go well. The girls are not professionals, have no experience with this type of thing, and have no real ties to Yuki from any point before the zombie apocalypse that might help them reach out to her.

2. Supposing it did go well. In episode 10 we learned that after the apocalypse Yuki did nothing but cry all the time, presumably at least until the girls started working together as a club under Megu-nee's direction. She completely broke when Megu-nee sacrificed herself. She couldn't handle that reality with the zombies and no Megu-nee, the one person she'd had a real relationship with. If she's brought out of her delusional state, she's not going to be fine, no matter what. She'll probably revert to being inconsolably depressed. Almost certainly much worse than she was in the beginning, when Megu-nee was still there. How is that better?

3. Even if we start with a premise that it IS better to know the truth and be depressed than to be delusional and happy (which is by no means a sure thing), you seem to think she would not be a danger to anyone if she sees reality. I argue that the opposite is true. It's true that it was Yuki who suggested the "test of courage" and the trip to the mall, but those things were necessary anyway since they need to get supplies at times. They are inherently dangerous activities, and Yuki did not actually put anyone in more danger than they were already in at the time with her delusions. When the zombie showed up in the library, it was her delusion of Megu-nee that kept her from doing anything risky. And Yuki is the one who rescued Miki from the Mall zombies. She hasn't endangered anyone more than they are already endangered by being in a zombie infested ghost town.

4. However, if she was depressed, she would almost certainly be far more dangerous than she is now. Remember how when Kei got depressed, she decided to leave safety and go out into the zombie filled mall? Yeah, she's almost certainly dead now, and Miki would be too if she had followed her. Yuki might do something similar if she was very depressed and the girls would have to try to save her, and then they would all most likely die. Depressed people are far more likely to engage in risky, dangerous behavior because they just don't care about the consequences like a normal person. A depressed Yuki is far more dangerous, without Megu-nee there, than a delusional Yuki.

5. The girls have said, more than once, that Yuki as she is now is the one who helps them stay cheerful and keeps them sane. If Yuki was depressed, Rii-san and Kurumi would not have that moral support and would be in danger of getting depressed or going crazy themselves. Yuki helps them to have fun and remember that life is still worth living. Do you have any idea what it would be like for them cooped up in that zombie infested school without that kind of support? Let's just say, as dark as the delusions sometimes seem, this would probably be a much darker story without them.

On the other hand, I can't think of a good reason to break Yuki out of her delusions by force. A sudden shock to her could be fatal, for everyone.

41340 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 9/14/15 , edited 9/14/15

Gin-To-Ki wrote:

First off, don't get me wrong and start hitting me with negative comments if your a fan of this anime, second off, i have my reasons, try to understand



I am a big fan of this show and the Manga / I wiil be nice

1 I was hooked before the show came out withe manga

2 If you didnt read the manga and saw how the anime is rewriiten by the original author is just great writing IMO

3 BTW Sales of the manga almost doubled after the anime came out !

4 PTSD is a very serious disorder / put yourself in her place I am amazed she handles that way ! You need professional help now and it is just not there !

5 Dimissing the other girls as not part of the story doesnt make sense ! The girls all contribute and actually balance eveything out!

6 Did you watch EP 11 Yuki was very calm in a tragic situation wheeas Yuri was neat the breaking point1

7 Most people and bloggers like this anime ! so it could be personal taste in anime

8 Do you watch the OP / EDs / the well placed hints in the episodes / just amazing what they do !

9 How come Yuki is singled out / there are many worst delusoinal people in anime ! Yuki is mediically / mentally injured!

You should hate all the evil villians first really! Try Psycho Pass for insanity !

10 another PTSD victim / Yuta (elf ) in Gate who thinks her father is stiil alive after PTSD ! No thoughts there !

11 The school is just the begining

ON a side note this topic should have been in the show discussion ! The response is quite good there !
21709 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/14/15

PhantomGundam wrote:



In the end, playing along with this fantasy is the safest thing to do not only for Yuki, but for everyone.


They deal with the same issue in Gate, with Tuka and her delusion about her Dad. If they try to snap her out of it, and she breaks, who is going to be able to give her long term support. She's clearly not harming herself and has survival instincts so she's not in any immediate danger, so the best thing to do is to let it go for now (The same with Yuki)

36732 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / US
Offline
Posted 9/14/15 , edited 9/14/15

Gin-To-Ki wrote:
without delusional Yuki, this anime would be dull, it would only turn into a bunch of schoolgirls surviving in a school in a zombie apocalypse, but with delusional Yuki, there can be genius set-up plots such as everything being a delusion for example. episode 1.

I disagree with your fundamental premise. With or without "delusional Yuki," the anime is not dull. The other characters are fully fleshed out and have their own struggles. Also, the conflicts in the story do not arise from Yuki being delusional. In fact aside from the first episode, very little of story is really about her or her perspective.

The purpose of starting the story with "delusional Yuki" was, IMHO, to set the pace for giving us a tale where we would not really know what was happening and what was true. We are engaging in an epistemological exercise here--the viewers are trying to solve a mystery. Even with only two episodes left, we don't know why this happened, why the school is a well-equipped shelter, whether there's any help for them, etc. And so the viewers are on a quest, examining every detail looking clues. For example, if you read the main thread on this anime, you'll see people carefully analyzing the OP and ED sequences and how they change between episodes, looking for hints to these answers. That unsettledness and unreliable narration that drives people to point out the smallest detail in the closing theme, is what makes this anime interesting, IMHO.
15748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Virginia USA
Online
Posted 9/14/15


I think the plot is just fine. This show is very good. I'm not too much into Moe, but this show has consistently been in my top 3 of the season.
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 9/14/15
I for one like the show. but that is just my opinion. just like yours.
9610 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / North Pole
Offline
Posted 9/14/15
I love the show, it's good, nothing will change that.
6628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 9/14/15
The plot of classroom crisis is a lot worse. I've only seen three episodes, but I can clearly say with 100% certainty that the plot is terrible.
7802 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/14/15
The show has been disappointing, but I wouldn't say the plot is terrible. Threadbare and cliched, perhaps, but it's been moving along little by little with each episode. The main problem is that, with the exception of a few, each episode is rather boring since it is just slice-of-life with the threat of zombies as an afterthought. Heck, they even had an obligatory swimsuit episode. What they don't have is much conflict. Since they all essentially agree with each other, with the exception of Yuki, it's hard for me to see them as being separate characters. There are definitely other shows this season with more interesting and entertaining plots than School Live though.
1064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/14/15 , edited 9/14/15
We all think differently, maybe its just not my style for moe-anime and cutesy things, but i do know that you all can disagree with what i say, and i asked for you all to disapprove me, and yes i did get a decent answer, "Yuki isn't mentally stable enough to handle reality", that's something i realized, even if she was, its still my opinion that if the delusions were gone, this anime wouldn't be as interesting as it is, and i don't think that way of thinking of mine will probably be ever changed, if you don't like that opinion, well too bad. if you like the show, i respect that but i didn't start this thread to hear if you like the anime or not "@Luukee" , "@papagolfwhiskey", i know a lot of people like the anime obviously, and a lot of people don't like the way i think, and that's fine too. I am not saying this show would be bad without the delusions, i repeat that this show "wouldn't be as interesting as it is" without the delusions, which is what i consider "dull" , "zombie apocalypse with girls surviving etc" is what i consider dull, and thats what I think, and yes i was wrong when i was stating that as a fact as my mind took over, if you think that the show would still be as good as it is without the delusions, then thats YOUR opinion, okay? I WANTED people to disagree with me so i would be proven wrong so i could understand this a bit, i didn't post this to feed off of "I agree". The delusional state of Yuki is a concept that can be seen as moronic in a situation such as a zombie apocalypse when that kind of state is applied and being taken care of a group of people, and yes that is how i saw it in the first couple of episodes. but once you go deeper there can be an understanding to it, but i didn't get that "understanding" and i came here to say my thoughts, and people did prove me wrong, I did not think about the fact that she might possible kill herself if she faced reality.



Also @bibotot , how the hell is this a bait thread? I'm spilling my thoughts out to the people and i can say whatever i want if that's what i think it is, i simply didn't realize a certain concept and i decided to post it here, so just stop, okay? Why the hell should i care about the logic of "Prison School"? Its a comedy that defies logic just like Gintama, so what?, but it has an easy plot to understand, i never said anything about logic in this thread and about how logic should be applied to anime. Yes, i am spilling my thoughts about this anime but the MAIN POINT to this thread is the plot that i didn't look too much into, not about what i think of this anime, but what i think of the plot, how the anime is set up in order to make it breath taking is nice, EX: episode 1, after a couple of episodes my thought process bothered my opinion of the anime and i'm here to talk about it, k?
62790 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 9/14/15

AnimeKami wrote:
These wild conjectures.

if the anime is dull would it be good?

If the anime is not dull would it be bad?

A lot of anime is terrible.
5169 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/15/15
Yuki's delusional state is more of a coping mechanism than anything else from my point of view. It was shown that she could not deal with the situation as it was and was an emotional wreck after the apocalypse happened. Everything Megu-nee did helped stabilize her until Megu-nee sacrificed herself. She then flipped over to her delusions. It's like a safety mechanism for the brain where her delusions are helping keep her safe and happy in a horrible situation. But her mind is capable of flipping back to reality when it needs to (look at the mall and the rescue of Miki) and in the most recent episode it seems like she is starting to fully come back to reality to the point of wondering why the windows are broken.

The OP has some valid points though. Without the whole delusion thread, the first episode and subsequent episodes wouldn't have worked so well from the viewer perspective. It's a plot device for sure, but a decent one because it certainly piqued my interest. The whole moe/zombie apocalypse thing is a strange mix to begin with. Without Yuki as she is the show would not be the mix of serious and cute that it has been up to this point. But I think it's starting to turn more serious, so we may be seeing less of Yuki's delusional world. Here's hoping that her time in her own world helped stabilize her to the point that she can cope with reality now, otherwise she might actually be the hindrance that the OP suspected down the road. Up to this point however she's helped hold the group together and keep them all sane which is rather remarkable in it's own right.

Overall the OP did have some valid points though. I will admit it's hard to wrap your head around the cute and serious mix in this show because it flips between them so much but I really like the show.
2345 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/15/15
I would like the show if it didn't do zombies, thats my only complaint. Zombie shows/movies are so overly done of late it makes me cringe, and usually are done extremely poorly.

I think the only reason it really works is because it is moe school girls and not overly sexed up HoTd girls with giant breasts fighting off zombies.
51229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 9/15/15
HOTD wasn't about zombies. It was about big tits. The zombies were just extras in the background.
7413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 9/15/15 , edited 9/15/15
Each character has something to deal with in this anime not just Yuki.

1. Yuri's trying to stand up and be the rock but as we've seen with Kurumi getting bitten, Taroumaru getting turned and finding out that Megu-nee is still wandering as a zombie when she was hoping Megu-nee actually died-died and didn't get turned. It's all been building up to a crack in her very foundation.
2. Kurumi has been their unshakable strength since being forced to kill the boy she loved. She found it to be her duty to protect the other survivors because she was too late to protect him. She thought herself unshakable until being hit by a Taroumaru/Megu-nee one-two punch, getting bitten in the process. Now she's actually proving her strength by fighting the turn.
3. Miki has lost her best friend since childhood. She's out there hoping she's still alive too. Her two connections to her friend are Taroumaru and her music. She's now lost Taroumaru (whose approval she's been fighting for after getting emotional at him after her friend left her) right after he finally accepted her. She hit her breaking point as well.
4. Yuki has been lost in her delusion since losing Megu-nee. The others didn't want to totally destroy her by forcing her to see reality. This is actually the smart thing. Yuki is younger mentally but she said it herself, it's her duty to watch over the younger club members. Yuki is beginning to remember things piece by piece, seeing the world as it truly is. A few episodes back she saw the classroom as it actually is. She began to remember Megu-nee wasn't actually there shortly after that. Then while standing outside Megu-nee's office door she remembered what happened to her for a moment. Now in the last episode, as Lordhaw pointed out, she noticed the window was broken.

The zombies have now broken inside. It was also shown that the stairway to the shelter (where Taroumaru and Megu-nee are) leads directly to where they are. They're now surrounded with Kurumi needing the anti-virus from the Shelter itself.

That all being said, I could see where you're coming from if this was meant to be just another survival horror anime but it was obvious from the start that this show was written as a character study primarily and not a survival horror. What mattered from the start was the girls, not the school or even the world they live in.


Gin-To-Ki,
Just so you know, I never once saw this as a bait thread but a valid point to discuss. This show has become one of my favorites since I like character studies. I can see why you feel differently looking at it as more a survival horror.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.