First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Post Reply Do you believe we've become an over sensitive generation?
25139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Beyond The Wall
Offline
Posted 9/17/15
I'll say the generation born after 2000 are super sensitive bitches. Seriously, total fucking pansies.
18602 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/17/15
If you're getting banned, you're shit talking the wrong people.

Also lol no
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 9/17/15 , edited 9/17/15
Yep.



There's a difference in people being hypersensitive though and people lacking professionalism where called for. Also talking 'smack' in games can be damaging to certain forms of cooperative play. For example, League of Legends has to crack down on it, not because of hypersensitive attitudes, but because two fucking morons bickering ruins it for everyone on the team whether they are involved or not. If it ruins the gaming experience, the staff needs to enforce bans on whiny little infants.
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/17/15
There are two issues at play.

1. Some people are overly sensitive.
2. Some people are d*cks, incapable of common courtesy or basic empathy.
202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 9/17/15 , edited 9/17/15
Yup.
Makes it easy to make fun though >:3
20663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 9/17/15 , edited 9/17/15
Yes and no honestly sometimes people are overly sensetive sometimes people are just being dicks tumblr is a good example of overly sensetive.

But being like that doesn't make you good i just got off a game of Murder on Garrys mod because the people playing it kept yelling "Fag,Cunt,bitch this Autism this and that" it just came off making them look like retards to be honest no one wants to deal with people like that.

I took some offence (to using Autism as an insult but i realize its become a word just like Gay is an informal word for stupid so i can't be hypocritical and voice up about it) but i just walked away because in the end there just being idiots and kids do what kids do
31300 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / Earth
Offline
Posted 9/17/15

MrAnimeSK wrote:

Absolutley. People trying to raise kids in cotton wool and everything is considered offensive or racist or sexist or etc


yep. this
41641 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 9/17/15 , edited 9/17/15
If tumblr is any indication, yes, people are turning in into cushioned, whiny babies.
22895 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 9/17/15 , edited 9/17/15
In my line of work if dudes had a disagreement we would wait till end of day then duke it out I mean really throw blows until either it was settled or somebody gave notice and quit. Today people send e-mails about not being satisfied, talk about major changes in work place. In my mind people have gone soft and tend to be whiners.
10771 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / MO, USA
Offline
Posted 9/17/15

PrinceJudar wrote:

Yep.



There's a difference in people being hypersensitive though and people lacking professionalism where called for. Also talking 'smack' in games can be damaging to certain forms of cooperative play. For example, League of Legends has to crack down on it, not because of hypersensitive attitudes, but because two fucking morons bickering ruins it for everyone on the team whether they are involved or not. If it ruins the gaming experience, the staff needs to enforce bans on whiny little infants.




Here imma say my piece on that.

For example let's look at Dunkey's recent ban.

For those of you who don't know or don't care i'm giving yall the story for some context. This is my take on what went down, other might interpret what happened differently.

Videogamedunkey is the most subscribed youtuber who creates regular League of Legends videos. Recently he got banned for shit talking a Malphite who was feeding on purpose on a Platinum ranked match. He said some stuff that was SUPER out of line, and he doesn't really deny this, but rather asks if shit-talking is honestly worse than intentionally feeding, going afk, or doing something really stupid like Orianna ADC.

My take on that is if i'm being an ass to someone like this Malphite, i'm not in the right, but from my point of view, he can mute me. He can just press a button and not have to hear any of that. On the other hand, Malphite giving the enemy team free golf and pretty much being a huge liability to the team? I can't mute his effect on the game. I can't press a button and stop him from giving them free gold.
14729 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/17/15 , edited 9/17/15

AkitoMadaka wrote:

Good input so far. I mean i'm not asking y'all to weigh in on my life, but rather for your personal opinion.


Well, here's one thing to use not only to clarify points, but also to transition out of Teen Internet writing:

One of the key points is Focus on the single intent of the post, but also not to throw in random stuff, because it's, like, the Internet. This tends to confuse people further, if they didn't get your point to begin with.
At the Harvard Debate Club, they don't end their opening arguments with "...And this, I believe, is the Constitutional interpretation the founding fathers had in mind--Oh, and here's the sneezing-baby-panda video, because, why not?"

As for "oversensitivity", I think people are sensing that we're more willing to bend over backwards, which means tantrums get results. People can want a lot more respect than they get, but if they raise a stink about it, they notice things actually happen, which means they prefer to raise stinks.
Oh, and yeah, it does sound a bit more mature if you try to use "stuff" more than "s**t" when you mean "stuff", otherwise the PG-13 language tends to lose its currency. Cursing is the language of those who don't know too many words to begin with.
10771 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / MO, USA
Offline
Posted 9/17/15

harutoharuta wrote:

No matter what generation, there will be people who are oversensitive. Or not; just seems likely.

I don't care to generalize a group of people as a certain way, however, I do recognize that my generation and younger generations onward will be able to go about certain parts of life with ease compared to previous generations.

From what I've seen though, it's people in their 20s who say "the younger generations are too sensitive" and whatnot. Sometimes it seems like they just want to feel superior and sometimes it seems like an honest opinion.

Either way, I don't really care, and only really think about it when someone brings it up.


Fair point. I don't think i'm trying to see myself as someone better, rather just making sure i'm not the only one who thinks/feels this way.
34965 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 9/17/15
Swearing has always offended some people, and honestly one had better get used to the notion since that is never, ever going to change. That's why the words are noteworthy, and why children are taught not to use them. It's also exactly why children use them anyway, because doing so is participation in a forbidden activity (and therefore exciting if they can get away with it) and shocks people (which can be amusing for them).

Furthermore, transpeople requesting the use of preferred pronouns is nothing more than requesting respect for their gender identification. Since it's important for alleviation of the dysphoria that many transpeople face and polite to those transpeople who don't experience dysphoria that preferred names and pronouns be used, because asking people to do so is not an asinine exercise like being asked to be called "god" or an "attack helicopter", and because society has already shown that it's perfectly willing to refer to people by completely absurd nicknames like The Rock, Snooki, and Sting even if one does consider referring to transpeople by preferred names and pronouns to be as absurd as calling someone an attack helicopter, there's really very little reason to refuse. This is something society already does without even noticing.

Now, with all of that said there are those who will aim to offend for its own sake, and there are those who will take offence far too easily. There are people who simply want to fight and argue as a way to deal with their frustrations, or to get entertainment out of upsetting people, or to bring people down to being as angry as they are, or are simply closed-minded. We shouldn't let people like that use free expression as an impenetrable shield and phrases like "special snowflake syndrome" or "SJW" as a sword to keep themselves safe from criticism of their ideas. That's suppression of dialogue, not defence of it. Likewise, we shouldn't allow people to suppress any and all dialogue they consider offensive, and we shouldn't simply accept that the individuals, groups, or materials in question had malicious intent at face value. We should still be critical of offensive things, and we should still call out malicious individuals, groups, and materials, but critical thinking to sort the wheat from the chaff is needed. You have to know what to be critical of and when, or else you end up with threads like this and soften the ground that sincere activism has to walk on into a muck that just slows down progress by making that activism and its supporters look bad.

In other words, no. Society has not generally transformed into a bunch of whiny weaklings. Politics is conflict by its very nature, and social and economic issues have always been as contentious as they are now. It's just that we have media through which to express our conflicting viewpoints more broadly and quickly than ever before, so the veil that one's ideas are accepted as borderline axioms by the bulk of society (no really, that's a psychological phenomenon we all experience to some degree) has been lifted. That combined with social media's encouragement of people posting about every thought they have, everything they're doing, and everything they're around results in the phenomenon you're currently witnessing.
2270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Southern US
Offline
Posted 9/17/15
I think being offended has become a sort of trend and that some people like to collect as many strange labels as they can so they can be offended as much as possible. As the focus has shifted slowly from those with power to those who are oppressed, I think people have wanted to have their moment to shine, so to speak. Subconsciously, perhaps. But yes, it seems that people have tried to make the world too... Sanity, too filtered.

However, that doesn't detract from the pain that people might actually feel. Even if you consider something minor, others may not... There isn't any real way to quantify emotional pain, and so I think it is important to be mindful of that.

You mentioned "preferred pronouns," as evidence of over-sensitivity, but I feel like I should point out that using one pronoun over another requires very little effort and, in some cases at least, can avoid significant emotional distress. Of course, as always happens, some people take it too far and begin to create dozens of pronouns to fit every little point on the sliding scale between feminine and masculine. At most, I feel there should be three, but that is another matter entirely...

Anyways, yes, people can't seem to handle things that might seems a little abrasive or opinions that don't mesh with their own.
10771 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / MO, USA
Offline
Posted 9/17/15

BlueOni wrote:
Furthermore, transpeople requesting the use of preferred pronouns is nothing more than requesting respect for their gender identification. Since it's important for alleviation of the dysphoria that many transpeople face and polite to those transpeople who don't experience dysphoria that preferred names and pronouns be used, because asking people to do so is not an asinine exercise like being asked to be called "god" or an "attack helicopter", and because society has already shown that it's perfectly willing to refer to people by completely absurd nicknames like The Rock, Snooki, and Sting even if one does consider referring to transpeople by preferred names and pronouns to be as absurd as calling someone an attack helicopter, there's really very little reason to refuse. This is something society already does without even noticing.



I hear ya on that, I do have some things i'd like to say, but I don't feel as though they wold really be productive here.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.