First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Can fat people be Oppressed?
41645 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 9/17/15
Yay, another SJ or SJW related thread, depending on how you view things.

So, the last few years have given a rise to a new breed of slackivism, also called "Fat activism". This "movement", which doesn't require a lot of movement at all, is mainly performed by young women from behind a keyboard who weigh upward of 200 pounds, and are often qualified as highly overweight, if not mildly, moderately, or morbidly obese.

They however, do not think their extra weight to be a concern, but glorify it, while simultaneously putting down thinner people and society as a whole in the process, claiming that fat people are "oppressed" and thinner folks, average size folks, or even mildly overweight folks are "privileged", while they are a "marginalized" group according to some of them, who face "oppression".

The only problem is this: They're not a minority. Obese adults account for a whopping THIRD of the United States population and other western nations such as Canada are trailing behind, with a quarter of their pop being obese. Not only are they not a minority, but they are becoming a majority, though some of them also try and justify their reasoning with statistics that "the average US woman is 5'4" and 166 lbs" blah blah blah.

I will not deny that fatter people, especially obese people, are often denied positions and even occasionally teased, ridiculed for their weight, however, for MOST of them, this misery is self imposed. The majority of the obese western population are not fat naturally, but have made themselves as such through constant binge eating and refusing to control portions, as well as obviously getting no exercise, or else we'd have less of this problem.

Oppression is defined as being discriminated against for a trait you were born with more or less. The color of your skin. Your sexuality. Your gender identity. Etcetera. Being fat IS a choice. It's not "oppression" for people to find you unattractive as an overweight person, let alone an obese person. Most of the proponents of the "fat acceptance" or "health at every size" movement are the latter, often morbidly obese, and their morbid obesity is self imposed. In addition to promoting unhealthy lifestyles, they also put up bullshit claims that BMI is a "myth" and that weight loss can never result in success, claiming that those who lose weight will undeniably put it back on, which is also a lie. They also constantly put down those with restrictive eating disorders in order to project focus back unto themselves.

Do you think it's possible that these people could actually being oppressed, or do you find them to be annoyances?

I think the latter. Maybe it's just standing on the sidelines as the person they abhor, the 110 lbs girl who can scarf fast food, but I find them to be whiny little brats. Weight loss is possible. My dad did it, he was slightly obese and now maintains a healthy weight, and I was high "healthy" BMI before I lost weight as well, albeit not through the healthiest methods. These people and their brainwashing make me sick.
41645 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 9/17/15 , edited 9/18/15
"Can fat people be Oppressed?" goddammit i grammatically screwed up.... please change it...

[modbreak by George_z]

Fixed.
65 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/17/15 , edited 9/17/15
Look out, you're gonna cut me on all that edge.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 9/17/15
Honestly, I don't think there's much of a case.

And most *actual* oppression is about creating or reinforcing classes amongst the people. Racism? it's more about class and monetary/political power than not.
39038 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Houston, Texas
Offline
Posted 9/17/15
Until we are all robots judging people places and things will always
happen... Good or bad its part of what you are (an "animal"). Might
as well tell people to let go of fight or flight instincts, you'll have just
as much luck as asking people not to judge x, y, or z. Good luck with
your discussion title xD
3645 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 9/17/15
I'm going to be honest and say my view. I think fat people are at risk of just being really unhappy. We need to, as a nation, do some serious reflection on our food system and shit. We need to stop selling processed food and make natural and healthy food the norm. Because people who are fat are hurting no one but themselves.

I feel really bad when I see a fat person walking down the hallway running out of breath. How can anyone wanna live like that? They don't, its an addiction that we need to start taking seriously as an addiction. Because from what I've seen living in America, junk food is the new drugs that tearing a lot of people's lives apart.
616 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Don't Flirt With Me
Offline
Posted 9/17/15
I don't see a problem with bigger people liking how they look. I don't think its cool that they shame skinny people like your saying they do but at the end of the day if they are happy with how they look and who they are they shouldn't feel ashamed about their size.
So what if it's not healthy, people do things that aren't healthy all the time, their bad habits just aren't noticeable.
Oppression comes in many shapes and size, in the case of obesity it mostly comes in the form of prejudice. Can you imagine how hard it might be to get a job as an obese person? If you've ever struggle with losing weight you would know that losing weight isn't just working out really hard for six months, its working out for the rest of your life because you gain whatever you lost as soon as you stop working at it.
Keep in mind that even though some of the are skinny shaming people not all of them are. Does that make it okay? No but neither does making their weight out to be this hideous thing either.
People should be aloud to think that they are beautiful no matter the size, sex, race.
111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/17/15 , edited 9/17/15
I pretty much agree with you.
As someone who is slightly overweight, these kinds of people piss me off.
I know that some people are healthier at different weights, but if you weigh 300 pounds then you're probably not healthy.
Instead of taking responsibility and trying to lose some weight, you instead proclaim that you're the victim and it's society's fault for wanting you to lose some weight.
i do disagree with you with BMI since different people are healthier at different wieghts and the BMI doesn't account for muscle mass.

I know this doesn't help anyone, but people choose to change their gender so are they oppressed?
Posted 9/17/15 , edited 9/17/15
Eating is what makes my life happy, I don't care what you all think as long as I've got a burger in my hand.
Posted 9/17/15 , edited 9/17/15
Fat people die pretty quickly, so its otay. Plus if they get mad. Just run and they can't catch you
1580 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / Shit Orb #3
Offline
Posted 9/17/15
My main problem is that there are doctors who don't properly treat their patients because they think all their problems stem from being fat. Some do, but not all.
I read something about this girl who was having heart palpitations, but the doctor didn't think anything of it because she was overweight. The doctor just told her to exercise. They later found she actually had a hole in her heart, and the exercise was making it worse.. that's not okay.
13131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 9/17/15 , edited 9/17/15

_Bender_ wrote:

I don't see a problem with bigger people liking how they look. I don't think its cool that they shame skinny people like your saying they do but at the end of the day if they are happy with how they look and who they are they shouldn't feel ashamed about their size.
So what if it's not healthy, people do things that aren't healthy all the time, their bad habits just aren't noticeable.
Oppression comes in many shapes and size, in the case of obesity it mostly comes in the form of prejudice. Can you imagine how hard it might be to get a job as an obese person? If you've ever struggle with losing weight you would know that losing weight isn't just working out really hard for six months, its working out for the rest of your life because you gain whatever you lost as soon as you stop working at it.
Keep in mind that even though some of the are skinny shaming people not all of them are. Does that make it okay? No but neither does making their weight out to be this hideous thing either.
People should be aloud to think that they are beautiful no matter the size, sex, race.


Its not so much about people thinking they are beautiful. It is about obese and overweight individuals trying to attack the ideal of being a healthy weight which is just ridiculous. This "fat acceptance" culture is just encouraging mediocrity and enabling bad health practices. Any comment about general standards of attractiveness or even doctors suggestion that being obese isn't good for your health is considered "oppression".

Is there a stigma against obesity? Yes, but I would say that the majority of that is fairly justified.

Finny-sama wrote:

My main problem is that there are doctors who don't properly treat their patients because they think all their problems stem from being fat. Some do, but not all.
I read something about this girl who was having heart palpitations, but the doctor didn't think anything of it because she was overweight. The doctor just told her to exercise. They later found she actually had a hole in her heart, and the exercise was making it worse.. that's not okay.


Typically, if doctors see a problem and they see an obvious potential cause of the problem, they aren't going to order tons of expensive tests to try to see if there is some obscure 1 in a million problem that could be causing it instead. That isn't in any way limited to obesity and it isn't really a problem. If you went into the doctors office for a cold and they tested you for every disease under the sun that exhibits cold like symptoms at some point, either you would be paying out your ass or taxes would skyrocket to pay for heaps of unnecessary junk.
Bavalt 
22029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/17/15 , edited 9/17/15
It's okay for anyone to like how they look. It's okay to dislike people for something inconsequential like how heavy they are. It's not okay to treat them badly because of that dislike. That goes equally for everyone. A fat person disparaging thin people is the same as a thin person disparaging fat people. That kind of behaviour is something we'd just be better off without.

As for health, I agree that fat people should be doing more to keep themselves fit. I'm pretty big at the moment, but I used to be a lot bigger until I started working out - and now it's an integral part of my life that I get a lot of enjoyment out of. Any activity can be addicting. The problem is that North American culture readily pushes food addictions onto people, and most people live pretty sedentary lifestyles - they don't have enough exposure to develop a fitness addiction. I'm not saying that none of the blame rests on them, but I am saying that it's common enough to be a societal issue, not just a personal one.

Also, BMI is crock. People have different kinds of bodies and will be at their healthiest at differing weights, and more importantly, it doesn't seem to know that muscle (which is heavier than fat) exists. There are far more accurate methods for determining how healthy you are in that respect.
616 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Don't Flirt With Me
Offline
Posted 9/17/15

sundin13 wrote:


_Bender_ wrote:

I don't see a problem with bigger people liking how they look. I don't think its cool that they shame skinny people like your saying they do but at the end of the day if they are happy with how they look and who they are they shouldn't feel ashamed about their size.
So what if it's not healthy, people do things that aren't healthy all the time, their bad habits just aren't noticeable.
Oppression comes in many shapes and size, in the case of obesity it mostly comes in the form of prejudice. Can you imagine how hard it might be to get a job as an obese person? If you've ever struggle with losing weight you would know that losing weight isn't just working out really hard for six months, its working out for the rest of your life because you gain whatever you lost as soon as you stop working at it.
Keep in mind that even though some of the are skinny shaming people not all of them are. Does that make it okay? No but neither does making their weight out to be this hideous thing either.
People should be aloud to think that they are beautiful no matter the size, sex, race.


Its not so much about people thinking they are beautiful. It is about obese and overweight individuals trying to attack the ideal of being a healthy weight which is just ridiculous. This "fat acceptance" culture is just encouraging mediocrity and enabling bad health practices. Any comment about general standards of attractiveness or even doctors suggestion that being obese isn't good for your health is considered "oppression".

Is there a stigma against obesity? Yes, but I would say that the majority of that is fairly justified.

Finny-sama wrote:

My main problem is that there are doctors who don't properly treat their patients because they think all their problems stem from being fat. Some do, but not all.
I read something about this girl who was having heart palpitations, but the doctor didn't think anything of it because she was overweight. The doctor just told her to exercise. They later found she actually had a hole in her heart, and the exercise was making it worse.. that's not okay.


Typically, if doctors see a problem and they see an obvious potential cause of the problem, they aren't going to order tons of expensive tests to try to see if there is some obscure 1 in a million problem that could be causing it instead. That isn't in any way limited to obesity and it isn't really a problem. If you went into the doctors office for a cold and they tested you for every disease under the sun that exhibits cold like symptoms at some point, either you would be paying out your ass or taxes would skyrocket to pay for heaps of unnecessary junk.

I was only bring a different prospective to the table.
And I disagree with you, I think this entire movement is about body image. I think obese people feel attacked by how they look and I think they are fighting against something they don't believe in. It's just like any other activist group and there are multiply sides to every different story so think what you want.
18054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 9/17/15 , edited 9/17/15
OOOOOH, YEAAAAHH CRUNCHYROLL! DONT YOU DARE BE SOWAAA! CLAAAP FOR THE NEW DAY AND FEEEELL DA POWWAAAA!!!

IT'S A NEW DAY. YES, IT IS!

Stop this [email protected]
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.