First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Why doesn't Houston have anything Anime related?
13672 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Montgomery, Texas
Offline
Posted 9/18/15 , edited 9/18/15
Seriously though? Why?

Exclude Anime Matsuri and the annual Japan Fest,(which I've never been to)
we literally have nothing anime or Japan related here.
No anime/manga cafes, maid cafes, shops. nothing. Pretty boring.

any ideas why this is?



2341 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/18/15

arqnohikari wrote:

Seriously though? Why?

Exclude Anime Matsuri and the annual Japan Fest,(which I've never been to)
we literally have nothing anime or Japan related here.
No anime/manga cafes, maid cafes, shops. nothing. Pretty boring.

any ideas why this is?





I dont believer there are a lot of Anime/maid/manga cafes in the U.S period.

Not sure if you're looking for anime related shops beyond the cafe but there's bound to be anime/manga related stuff at most game and hobby shops or comic shops more likely.

Also not sure how far away flower mound is from you but Funimation and Sentai filmworks are both located there, so might have some better luck around there for certain anime related things.
13672 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Montgomery, Texas
Offline
Posted 9/18/15

Haruna-kai wrote:

I dont believer there are a lot of Anime/maid/manga cafes in the U.S period.

Not sure if you're looking for anime related shops beyond the cafe but there's bound to be anime/manga related stuff at most game and hobby shops or comic shops more likely.

Also not sure how far away flower mound is from you but Funimation and Sentai filmworks are both located there, so might have some better luck around there for certain anime related things.


I know they announced cafes in L.A, meh...
Funimation is like 2-3hrs from me, Sentai is supposedly in Houston but I don't know where.
Posted 9/18/15
same here. Nothing really anime related
In new jersey thats why im moving to tokyo (:
11041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
14 / F / California
Offline
Posted 9/18/15

Haruna-kai wrote:


arqnohikari wrote:

Seriously though? Why?

Exclude Anime Matsuri and the annual Japan Fest,(which I've never been to)
we literally have nothing anime or Japan related here.
No anime/manga cafes, maid cafes, shops. nothing. Pretty boring.

any ideas why this is?





I dont believer there are a lot of Anime/maid/manga cafes in the U.S period.

Not sure if you're looking for anime related shops beyond the cafe but there's bound to be anime/manga related stuff at most game and hobby shops or comic shops more likely.

Also not sure how far away flower mound is from you but Funimation and Sentai filmworks are both located there, so might have some better luck around there for certain anime related things.


Houston to North Dallas is what, 275 miles.

https://www.reddit.com/r/houston/comments/2be180/what_are_houstons_manga_andor_anime_stores/

Insomnia at 724 W. 19th St. in the Heights sells Japanese toys, candy, vinyl collectibles (like Kidrobot), artwork/prints (local and not), and gaming/anime-related clothing. They also host tournaments for Smash Bros., SFIV Ultra, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, and other popular titles.
http://insomniavgc.com/ https://twitter.com/insomniaVGC
2341 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/18/15

arqnohikari wrote:

I know they announced cafes in L.A, meh...
Funimation is like 2-3hrs from me, Sentai is supposedly in Houston but I don't know where.


All I can really say is that, more than likely Huston isn't as open as Cali is for anime,manga or maids lol. I dont think anime/maid cafes exactly are a thing most people would go to just from getting the wrong idea about them.

Yeah I dont think they have an open door policy to go there, I was thinking more around the area, I thought it was around Flower Mound as well but i guess i wasn't correct on that one. Best bet is just to search out comic shops in your area, or type in anime in Huston and see what pops up.

41931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / an utter mess
Offline
Posted 9/18/15
There are a couple of anime related shops and stuff in Dallas but even for me that's a bit of a drive. Let alone OP who's living in Houston, which is much further.
686 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Kaufman, TX, USA
Offline
Posted 9/18/15 , edited 9/18/15
Houston, we have a problem.....
Posted 9/18/15 , edited 9/18/15

TouhouFanGirl94 wrote:

Houston, we have a problem.....


Wow, that slayed me.
12010 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/18/15
Houston doesn't have a very strong Japanese presence. Honestly most of our shops are Vietnamese and Korean. (Which is funny becuase the Japanese consulate is here). With that said, Nippon Daido is an amazing Japanese specialty store in Houston, and Nan's Games and Comics has a HUGE manga section in the back with the comics.

I've also seen some pretty significant manga representation in most Bedrock Comic shops. I think it's all about where you look. When I was in highschool, most of my manga and anime were bought at the half price book store. I think there may even been some cool Anime/Manga/Japanese culture meetups on Meetup.com

Hope that helps!
13672 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Montgomery, Texas
Offline
Posted 9/18/15 , edited 9/18/15

TouhouFanGirl94 wrote:

Houston, we have a problem.....

Oh, you~
616 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Don't Flirt With Me
Offline
Posted 9/18/15
Isn't RTX in Texas? I know crunchyroll was there last time.
3661 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Wisconsin
Offline
Posted 9/18/15
Dont worry aboout it wisconsin aint got shit eather
7064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / HTX
Offline
Posted 9/18/15
I believe there should be more anime fans in Houston. But, with the technology today people seem to be more open online rather than IRL.

I really wished the University I attend to had an anime club, but it's of an Alpha Sigma university.

Kinda dull if you ask me. I guess being an anime fan is hard as being a sport fan. Because a sport fan can instantly engage in a conversation easily, but some get addicted to betting.

Also, GO TEXANS!!!!!!!
408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Offline
Posted 9/18/15
As far as I know, there is nothing like that in the NY/NJ/PA area either...
556 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 9/18/15 , edited 9/18/15
Living in a small town in the south (Georgia for me) you can't really find anything anime except some mainstream manga at larger bookstores. There's a couple anime conventions in Atlanta, but further out it's damn near impossible to find anime anything. And when you buy or carry anime anything, you get a lot of weird looks and comments. I live in the "anime = weird porn" part of the country where people will tell you that you need to find Jesus in your life Luckily it's only like a 2 hour drive to Anime Weekend Atlanta next week woohoo~
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.