First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
US wants us to forget about slavery but no other things?
Posted 9/20/15
I was having a debate about the US we talked about racism amognst other things. And someone brought up the fact that slavery they want us to forget but something like the Nazi's prisonering the Jewish and ,9/11. They don't want us to forget to me its true so what do you think?

( leave your racism comments away before you enter or even post in this forum topic please and thank you )
Posted 9/20/15
US had nothing to do with the Holocaust in that sense. Nor 9/11. Germany, Italy, and Poland did, and we were attacked by Al Qaeda.

And the world over had slaves, especially Europe, who were the kings of colonialism. Only the wealthiest had slaves in America.
Posted 9/20/15

AiYumega wrote:

US had nothing to do with the Holocaust in that sense. Nor 9/11. Germany, Italy, and Poland did, and we were attacked by Al Qaeda.

And the world over had slaves, especially Europe, who were the kings of colonialism. Only the wealthiest had slaves in America.


I mean I didn't say us had something to do with the holocaust but they still talk about it am I right LMAO.
Second , I'm talking about the racism and having slaves in America cause correct me if I am wrong but Georgia . Texas . North Carolina . South Carolina . Florida . Alabama back then was awfully racist and wasn't there Jim crow laws??
Posted 9/20/15

ignitingmemories wrote:

, I'm talking about the racism and having slaves in America cause correct me if I am wrong but Georgia . Texas . North Carolina . South Carolina . Florida . Alabama back then was awfully racist and wasn't there Jim crow laws??


Yeah, but racism and owning people as property are two different things.

And Jim Crow laws didn't end slavery, it was a legal end to segregation.
Posted 9/20/15

AiYumega wrote:


ignitingmemories wrote:

, I'm talking about the racism and having slaves in America cause correct me if I am wrong but Georgia . Texas . North Carolina . South Carolina . Florida . Alabama back then was awfully racist and wasn't there Jim crow laws??


Yeah, but racism and owning people as property are two different things.


And Jim Crow laws didn't end slavery, it was a legal end to segregation.


Yeah true it's different but even after slavery there was still segregation and hangings of many blacks and oh I forgot the KKK

Posted 9/20/15

ignitingmemories wrote:

Yeah true it's different but even after slavery there was still segregation and hangings of many blacks and oh I forgot the KKK



That's not slavery though. That's institutional racism and hate crimes.
14755 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/20/15 , edited 9/20/15

ignitingmemories wrote:

I was having a debate about the US we talked about racism amognst other things. And someone brought up the fact that slavery they want us to forget but something like the Nazi's prisonering the Jewish and ,9/11. They don't want us to forget to me its true so what do you think?


The argument thrown up against slavery is "Gee, what do you want us to do, ABOLISH it??"
White activists in their day, spoke up, and ended it, lesson learned...Where exactly do you want us to go from there?

The Nazis, OTOH, very intentionally planned to bulldoze the Holocaust camps afterwards and pretend it never happened, since it might reflect badly on their new country (apart from the rumor mill between immigrant families, we literally didn't even know they existed until we moved in)--Obviously those plans didn't work out. Keeping that memory fresh is very specifically spoiling those plans.
Similarly, 9/11 happened because we were lazy about security, and it's a good reminder not to be lazy about how many discontented nuts are out there looking to pick a headline scrap.
Posted 9/20/15

Ejanss wrote:


ignitingmemories wrote:

I was having a debate about the US we talked about racism amognst other things. And someone brought up the fact that slavery they want us to forget but something like the Nazi's prisonering the Jewish and ,9/11. They don't want us to forget to me its true so what do you think?


The argument thrown up against slavery is "Gee, what do you want us to do, ABOLISH it??"
White activists in their day, spoke up, and ended it, lesson learned...Where exactly do you want us to go from there?

The Nazis, OTOH, very intentionally planned to bulldoze the Holocaust camps afterwards and pretend it never happened, since it might reflect badly on their new country--Obviously that didn't happen. Keeping that memory fresh is very specifically spoiling those plans.
Similarly, 9/11 happened because we were lazy about security, and it's a good reminder not to be lazy about how many discontented nuts are out there looking to pick a headline scrap.


The white activists did what?? Ended it?? Where LMAO
Posted 9/20/15

AiYumega wrote:


ignitingmemories wrote:

Yeah true it's different but even after slavery there was still segregation and hangings of many blacks and oh I forgot the KKK



That's not slavery though. That's institutional racism and hate crimes.


But did I say it was :)? I said even after slavery . What I didn't say was being racist was slavery sir :))
14755 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/20/15

ignitingmemories wrote:


Ejanss wrote:


ignitingmemories wrote:

I was having a debate about the US we talked about racism amognst other things. And someone brought up the fact that slavery they want us to forget but something like the Nazi's prisonering the Jewish and ,9/11. They don't want us to forget to me its true so what do you think?


The argument thrown up against slavery is "Gee, what do you want us to do, ABOLISH it??"
White activists in their day, spoke up, and ended it, lesson learned...Where exactly do you want us to go from there?


The white activists did what?? Ended it?? Where LMAO


Well, I seem to recall this Lincoln guy...
Posted 9/20/15 , edited 9/20/15

Ejanss wrote:

Well, I seem to recall this Lincoln guy...


That would be a white activist....not activists...
17181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 9/20/15
Because slavery pertains to our own country's shameful history. In general, people don't like being reminded of bad things that they have done. However, they do like shifting the focus from themselves to other people who have done wrong.
Posted 9/20/15 , edited 9/20/15

ignitingmemories wrote:

But did I say it was :)? I said even after slavery . What I didn't say was being racist was slavery sir :))


I still don't get your point.

Do we forget how European immigrants were treated entering the country?
Do we forget how we interned innocent Japanese for what their homeland was doing?
Do we forget how we closed our country to Chinese immigrants for 10 years because of fear of yellow people?

24950 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Offline
Posted 9/20/15
Why don't we talk about the murderous railroad men of the wild west, instead, if we're looking for unfair events. It's a little more interesting than how people were forced to pick cotton a long time ago.
Posted 9/20/15

AiYumega wrote:


ignitingmemories wrote:

But did I say it was :)? I said even after slavery . What I didn't say was being racist was slavery sir :))


I still don't get your point.

Do we forget how European immigrants were treated entering the country?
Do we forget how we interned innocent Japanese for what their homeland was doing?
Do we forget how we closed our country to Chinese immigrants for 10 years because of fear of yellow people?



America Is a big fuck up
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.