First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Is The Mikado Racist and Should be Banned?
15259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 9/21/15 , edited 9/21/15
The Mikado was a satire of British politics and institutions in the late 19th century. It was set in "Japan” so Gilbert could satirise the British government more freely, harshly and get away with it. The accusation that the show itself is "racist" is nonsense.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 9/21/15

AiYumega wrote:

Off-off-off-off-off Broadway stuff...Yick.


It's a play from the 1880's...

The performers may not be broadway, but the play, I'm sure, at several points in time, played in broadway or better theaters.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 9/21/15

SurvivingHorror wrote:


eragon2890 wrote:

Who was complaining about this?

Tumblr activists?

SJW's?

"Feminists"?

Or actually serious people with brains who do (usually) not belong to the three factions mentioned above??

Sigh..

Tough, I have to say, despite me assuming it's the typical BS we have seen a lot lately, I haven't looked into it, so there is a chance they actually have good arguments against the play...

But even then... if it's really bad, sure change it, but in general I really don't care about other people's opinion on works *I* like. I mean, I like harem anime where girls have big tits and ass and they get shown off a lot, some people don't like that, why should I care? I enjoy what I enjoy, no way in hell I am changing that because someone else does not like the titties... she (or he) can just go watch another anime!

So if this is a really popular work and lots of people wanted to go see it, I think the same thing applies here: live and let life. Again, unless it' *REAL* bad, I don't know. Then you can change it a bit to update it to modern times... but don't be too easy with caving in to what are basically demands for censorship...


Why do people always fall back on the 'SJW' thing? People aren't allowed to have an opposing opinion from you without being labeled something? Are people like you really that simple minded?


zalbik wrote:

At this point you could put them in blueface and change the title to "The Smurfs Mikado" and I am sure some group would be offended. It's the new America and it's very sad.


Do you miss the good old days where people could be openly racist, and not be ashamed? Where people could act like stereotypical Asains, dress up in black-face, or march down the streets in white sheets, and be considered heroes, instead of racists jackasses? Sorry the world isn't as close-minded as it used to be.





I don't think anyone was saying they want your straw man argument. I think that what is being said is that people are tired of most areas of life being censored and shut down. And especially for the wrong reasons. It's not even being shut down because the play itself is racist. It's because white people are dressing up as asians. They want asians to play asians....

Which is incredibly fucking racist.
3488 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Chapel Hill, N.C
Offline
Posted 9/22/15

Voc666IV wrote:

The Mikado was a satire of British politics and institutions in the late 19th century. It was set in "Japan” so Gilbert could satirise the British government more freely, harshly and get away with it. The accusation that the show itself is "racist" is nonsense.



I saw a production of "The Mikado" in the Sydney Opera House during a trip to Australia in 2004. Its not a racist play. Its a classic British comedy with a nonsensical plot. Those yellow peril stuff of the late 19th, early 20th century like Fu Manchu was far more racist than "The Mikado".
293 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 9/22/15

bufoman wrote:

“The Mikado” planned for New York this December was canceled after it drew criticism over how its largely non-Asian cast planned to portray the stereotyped Japanese characters and culture that are often seen as central to the work,


To be honest I don't think it should really matters. If a while/black/hispanic/etc person wants to play in a play as an asian person they should let them. Instead of limiting a culture to a certain race, they should indulge in it. It kinda reminds me of the whole debate about how Avril Lavigne was so called "racist" because of her Hello Kitty music video, when really she wasn't and just wanted to show how much she liked Japan instead. I think its because America is trying to spread their ideals of what is culturally correct and what isn't. its like how a person who isn't asian can't wear a kimono in america because it it deemed not culturally correct or racist and that only people with a Japanese heritage should be able to wear one, while in Japan if you wear one, the Japanese people just don't care. In fact a lot of them could be thrilled that an american wants to indulge in and experience their culture.

If no one is understanding what I'm trying to say, then I bet that Rachel & Jun can explain it better than i can. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwoSYWIgV9Y
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.