Post Reply Does realism take away or add to a story?
14992 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 9/20/15
Anime with realistic setting and characters is just way too boring...right?
15778 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Virginia USA
Online
Posted 9/20/15
Not really. I really enjoy the outlandish, the fantasy, the sci-fi, etc. But i also really enjoy slice of life and romantic comedies based in real world situations.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 9/20/15
Not always. One thing that always drags me right out of a story is when they mess up something real that I know for a fact isn't like that.

Macross Frontier spent a lot of time "rebuilding" San Francisco in a spaceship. It passes really well. Death City AKA Death Vegas from SoulEater does NOT pass. Nothing is right, not even the weather.
13153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 9/20/15
Care to give any examples?

Just like anything else, you can do realism poorly or you can do it well. It is not bad as a quality...
10 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 9/20/15
That depends based on the fact of how realistic is it. Also the story or genre can make the realism unneeded.
7441 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 9/20/15 , edited 9/20/15
It depends how the story is presented. A realistic story of a prisoner trying to escape from a nazi prison camp would most likely be far from boring. A story about growing up in a lifestyle complete different than your own wouldn't be boring. A story of gangland Las Vegas during it's birth wouldn't be boring. A story about unsolved serial killings is never boring. When applying this to anime...

Non Non Biyori is not boring.
Gangsta is not boring.
Say I Love You and Wolf Girl and the Black Prince were not boring.
Sabagebu, Aoharu x Machine Gun and Stella Women's Academy, High School Division Class C³ were not boring.
Sora no Wato was not boring.
Watamote was not boring.
Love Lab,Chronicles of the Going Home Club, Seitokei Yakuindomo and D-Frag were not boring.
Love Live, Locodol , Wake Up Girls and Yuru Yuri were not boring.
Shirobako, Saekano and Seiyuu's Life are far from boring.

Even though some of the above come off outlandish at times they're definitely reality based. I can think of dozens of more examples to fit the pattern too.
27764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Reno, NV
Offline
Posted 9/20/15

VZ68 wrote:

Not always. One thing that always drags me right out of a story is when they mess up something real that I know for a fact isn't like that.

Macross Frontier spent a lot of time "rebuilding" San Francisco in a spaceship. It passes really well. Death City AKA Death Vegas from SoulEater does NOT pass. Nothing is right, not even the weather.


This is kinda tangential, but I remember reading an Incredible Hulk comic from the 90's a few years back. There was a period of time when Bruce Banner was living in Reno, Nevada (where I live). The comic showed him living in a brownstone with trees lining the sidewalk, something that has probably never existed in Reno.

Sometime, realism isn't necessary, but when you try to add realism to a story by giving it a real place, it can kinda backfire.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 9/20/15

imaginarycreatures wrote:


VZ68 wrote:

Not always. One thing that always drags me right out of a story is when they mess up something real that I know for a fact isn't like that.

Macross Frontier spent a lot of time "rebuilding" San Francisco in a spaceship. It passes really well. Death City AKA Death Vegas from SoulEater does NOT pass. Nothing is right, not even the weather.


This is kinda tangential, but I remember reading an Incredible Hulk comic from the 90's a few years back. There was a period of time when Bruce Banner was living in Reno, Nevada (where I live). The comic showed him living in a brownstone with trees lining the sidewalk, something that has probably never existed in Reno.

Sometime, realism isn't necessary, but when you try to add realism to a story by giving it a real place, it can kinda backfire.


Please tell me someone threw the comic book artist off a tall building for that one. I mean there is only ONE building in Reno that is a "high rise" with people living in it. Damn it, I can't even think of the name of it, it used to be a casino...

Oh god yes.

http://www.montagereno.com/

THE MONTAGE.

17225 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 9/20/15
Realism, what kind of realism? because people think amazing beautiful handsome characters will fall in love with a nobody is "realistic"
11419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 9/20/15
It honestly depends on how it's handled. Adding realism to a story isn't guaranteed to add or take away a thing from any anime, unless all anime is made by the same person it's impossible to say it is guaranteed to make all shows across the board better or worse.
68938 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
East Coast
Offline
Posted 9/20/15
That depends. How many times does the Tokyo Tower or Empire State Building act as a monster magnet? I would say that whatever "world" a shows deals with, though, it needs to stay consistent. Otherwise it will seem random.
27764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Reno, NV
Offline
Posted 9/20/15

VZ68 wrote:

Please tell me someone threw the comic book artist off a tall building for that one. I mean there is only ONE building in Reno that is a "high rise" with people living in it. Damn it, I can't even think of the name of it, it used to be a casino...

Oh god yes.

http://www.montagereno.com/

THE MONTAGE.



In Gary Frank (the artist)'s defense, he's from Bristol, England, and this was before you could easily look online for images. He probably had no idea what a west coast-style apartment building looked like, and it wasn't exactly important to the story, so I could see not bothering to look for reference.

Living in Nevada, you realize that there are a lot of misconceptions about the state, like watching an episode of CSI and seeing them take a car ride from Las Vegas to Ely (which is easily an 8-10 hour drive, through the desert).

Anyway, the point is that realism, if used well, can enhance a story, but it can just as easily hurt the story if it's done poorly.

IIRC, Gunsmith Cats did a pretty good job with its portrayal of Chicago, but they also famously sent the animators to the city and had them visit a gun shop and shooting range, and shoot guns there, so that they'd have proper reference. That level of budget isn't usually available to anime nowadays.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 9/20/15

imaginarycreatures wrote:



In Gary Frank (the artist)'s defense, he's from Bristol, England, and this was before you could easily look online for images. He probably had no idea what a west coast-style apartment building looked like, and it wasn't exactly important to the story, so I could see not bothering to look for reference.

Living in Nevada, you realize that there are a lot of misconceptions about the state, like watching an episode of CSI and seeing them take a car ride from Las Vegas to Ely (which is easily an 8-10 hour drive, through the desert).

Anyway, the point is that realism, if used well, can enhance a story, but it can just as easily hurt the story if it's done poorly.

IIRC, Gunsmith Cats did a pretty good job with its portrayal of Chicago, but they also famously sent the animators to the city and had them visit a gun shop and shooting range, and shoot guns there, so that they'd have proper reference. That level of budget isn't usually available to anime nowadays.


Or that Reno 911 wasn't really filmed in Reno for the most part, so everything was a little bit "off" GSC was good on the Chicago part, they even had the scumming Chicago politicians down. Some anime does send people out still... let's see if I can find it.

Crap I can't find it, it was a collection of pictures taken of real life areas mixed in with anime stills for Beyond the Boundary.
20300 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/20/15
What matters is not the realism of the setting. The setting can be as outlandish as it wants to be, as long as the rules it has created for the setting are followed. That aspect of realism doesn't bother me. What should be real is the characters. How they act, interact and grow is what makes a story for me. The setting for Fate Zero is as outlandish as any fantasy story, but the progression of the characters into the finale, feels organic and interesting and real and thus it makes it into a show I enjoy. Compare that to say...Oreimo where the characters' movements are jutted, schizophrenic and random and it turns into a story I don't care for.
458 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 9/20/15
It really does depend on how the anime execute it.....to me at least. I'm completely okay with realism being in a anime with along with either Fantasy or any other elements in the mix, but again it depends on how the anime execute the theme. If the anime is aiming for just a slice of life with comedy and romance only, then it's going for a realistic anime, but if the anime has Fantasy or any other supernatural or action thing included, then well the anime better balance it right. Then again, this is just my opinion.
You must be logged in to post.