First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Post Reply Read the first paragraph on page 137 of the closest book to you
6163 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Off the map.
Offline
Posted 9/20/15
Darn you. I had to walk to the bookshelf and realize there are too many that are of equal distance because the magazine behind me stops at the 100th page.
8952 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / U.A Highschool
Offline
Posted 9/20/15

qualeshia3 wrote:


Tehnery wrote:

The eye of minds

The mans face hung over Micheals flushed coved with cuts, mad blue eye drilling hole into him. The stranger was twice the size of the lady who'd attacked him first and held a knife at michels neck


Interesting.


Yea its a good book it by the same person who made the mazerunner series
27244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 9/20/15 , edited 9/20/15
Personal Finances for Dummies

Too often, when selecting investments, people mistakenly focus on past rates of return. Everyone knows that the past is no guarantee of the future. But choosing an investment with a reportedly high rate of return without considering tax consequences is an even worse mistake. What you get to keep after taxes is what matters in the long run.
42415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/20/15

Jackalope82 wrote:

Darn you. I had to walk to the bookshelf and realize there are too many that are of equal distance because the magazine behind me stops at the 100th page.


Choose any book then.
42415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/20/15 , edited 9/20/15

Morbidhanson wrote:

Personal Finances for Dummies

Too often, when selecting investments, people mistakenly focus on past rates of return. Everyone knows that the past is no guarantee of the future. But choosing an investment with a reportedly high rate of return without considering tax consequences is an even worse mistake. What you get to keep after taxes is what matters in the long run.



28528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/20/15
Learning Web Design: A Beginners Guide to HTML, Graphics, and Beyond
10. Finally, make all strong text (the heading "Project sampling" throughout) small caps and purple.
20300 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/20/15
Oh god, of course my closest book would be The Denial of Death by Ernest Becker, meaning of course this will not be a short paragraph. Forgive me for the length:


Very few people, for example, have been impressed with the recent "heroics" of the Manson "family." When we look at them in the light of the group dynamics we have been discussing, we can understand better why we are shocked---not only by the gratuitous murders they committed, but by something more. When people try for heroics from the position of willing slavishness there is nothing to admire; it is all so automatic, predictable, pathetic. Here was a group of young men and women who had identified with Charles Manson and who lived in masochistic submission to him. They gave him their total devotion and looked upon him as a human god of some kind. In fact he filled the description of Freud's 'primal father': he was an authoritarian, very demanding of his followers and a great believer in discipline. His eyes were intense, and for those who came under his spell there is no doubt that he projected a hypnotic aura. He was a very self assured figure. He even had his own 'truth,' his megalomaniac vision for taking over the world. To his followers his vision seemed like a heroic mission in which they were privileged to participate. He had convinced them that only by following out his plan could they be saved. The 'family' was very close, sexual inhibitions were nonexistent, and members had free access to each other. They even used sex freely for the purpose of attracting outsiders into the family. It seems obvious from all this that Manson combined the 'fascinating effect of the narcissistic personality' with the 'infectiousness of the unconflicted personality.' Everyone could freely drop his repressions under Manson's example and command, not only in sex, but in murder. The members of the 'family' didn't seem to show any remorse, guilt, or shame for their crimes.


Well honestly, there isn't much of an opinion I could have on this piece of writing without going into far too much detail, as the paragraph here requires context on the part of the reader to understand what he is saying. To give the cliffnotes here though, it's an example that Becker is giving on the idea of the Leader figure and how one in a group or cult would meld their ego to him.
27244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 9/20/15
Fine...something a little more entertaining.

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers

Somewhat shaky support for Tobin's neurological theory can be found in animal studies. Deer may keep going, but dogs and pigs seem to react as humans do. The phenomenon was remarked upon by military medical circles as far back as 1893. A wound ballistics experimenter by the name of Griffith, while going about his business documenting the effects of a Krag-Jorgensen rifle upon the viscera of live dogs at two hundred yards, noted that the animals, when shot in the abdomen, "died as promptly as though they had been electrocuted." Griffith found this odd, given that, as he pointed out in the Transactions of the First Pan-American Medical Congress, "no vital part was hit which might account for the instantaneous death of the animals." (In fact, the dogs were probably not as promptly dead as Griffith believed. Most likely, they had simply collapsed and looked, from two hundred yards, like dead dogs. And by the time Griffith had walked the two hundred yards to get to them, they were in fact dead dogs, having expired from blood loss."
1420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Hessen, Germany
Offline
Posted 9/20/15
Karl Marx, Capital: Critique of Political Economy

Das Geld ist aber selbst Ware, ein äußerlich Ding, das Privateigentum eines jeden werden kann. Die gesellschaftliche Macht wird so zur Privatmacht der Privatperson. Die antike Gesellschaft verunglimpft es daher als die Scheidemünze ihrer ökonomischen und sittlichen Ordnung. Die moderne Gesellschaft, die schon in ihren Kinderjahren den Plutus an den Haaren aus den Eingeweiden der Erde herauszieht, begrüßt im Goldgral die glänzende Darstellung ihres eigenen Lebensprinzips.

Vaguely translated:

But the money itself is commodity, a superficial thing, which can become private goods of anyone. The economic power hereby becomes private power of the private person. The antique society denigrates it therefore as the divisional coin of its economic and moral order. The modern society, which drags out riches from the ground since childhood years, appreciates the golden grail as a shining portrayal of its own life principle.
42415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/20/15


You have a hectic love life.
42415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/20/15

Morbidhanson wrote:

Fine...something a little more entertaining.

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers

Somewhat shaky support for Tobin's neurological theory can be found in animal studies. Deer may keep going, but dogs and pigs seem to react as humans do. The phenomenon was remarked upon by military medical circles as far back as 1893. A wound ballistics experimenter by the name of Griffith, while going about his business documenting the effects of a Krag-Jorgensen rifle upon the viscera of live dogs at two hundred yards, noted that the animals, when shot in the abdomen, "died as promptly as though they had been electrocuted." Griffith found this odd, given that, as he pointed out in the Transactions of the First Pan-American Medical Congress, "no vital part was hit which might account for the instantaneous death of the animals." (In fact, the dogs were probably not as promptly dead as Griffith believed. Most likely, they had simply collapsed and looked, from two hundred yards, like dead dogs. And by the time Griffith had walked the two hundred yards to get to them, they were in fact dead dogs, having expired from blood loss."


You also have a hectic love life. Yeah it was entertaining.
20300 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/20/15

qualeshia3 wrote:



You have a hectic love life.


Nah just unlucky into my choice of night time reading at the moment. Asked me a week ago and I suppose Roadside Picnic might have made for shorter, less pretentious reading.
71800 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / A nice safe dista...
Offline
Posted 9/20/15
"He supposed he could have gotten her up here to take the tiller while he fixed the sail but something told him that would be easier just to tie it of himself. She wasn't the "aye-aye-sir" sort of crewman you needed for jobs like this"

- Lila, An inquiry into morals by Robert M Pirsig

The sequel to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. My signed first edition.
42415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/20/15 , edited 9/20/15

Kuschelpython wrote:

Karl Marx, Capital: Critique of Political Economy

Das Geld ist aber selbst Ware, ein äußerlich Ding, das Privateigentum eines jeden werden kann. Die gesellschaftliche Macht wird so zur Privatmacht der Privatperson. Die antike Gesellschaft verunglimpft es daher als die Scheidemünze ihrer ökonomischen und sittlichen Ordnung. Die moderne Gesellschaft, die schon in ihren Kinderjahren den Plutus an den Haaren aus den Eingeweiden der Erde herauszieht, begrüßt im Goldgral die glänzende Darstellung ihres eigenen Lebensprinzips.

Vaguely translated:

But the money itself is commodity, a superficial thing, which can become private goods of anyone. The economic power hereby becomes private power of the private person. The antique society denigrates it therefore as the divisional coin of its economic and moral order. The modern society, which drags out riches from the ground since childhood years, appreciates the golden grail as a shining portrayal of its own life principle.


It's about money.
5072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 9/20/15
My Chinese Workbook

Directions: You will be asked to speak in Chinese on different topics in the following two questions. In each case, imagine you are making an oral presentation to your class in Chinese.
42415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/20/15 , edited 9/20/15


Sorry about that.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.