First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Myanimelist is bad
63 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 9/21/15

MP7373 wrote:
Studies have shown


Citation needed.
6056 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 9/21/15 , edited 9/21/15

LITVoid wrote:




For the record, it isn't your lacking grammatical skill or spelling that takes away from the validity of your argument, it's the fact that other than ranting about what you believe to be incorrect scoring and reviewing on the part of MAL, you provide nothing in value for discussion or debate. Your lack of evidence, or rather, the nonlisting of shows that you believe are incorrectly scored, means that I have no way of confirming, to my own beliefs in various scores and opinion of shows, whether your rant is valid in any way.

To write something like this and then lack any kind of examples speaks more to your arguments than any spelling mistakes could ever hope to do. Your lack of evidence does nothing to convince me that you're nothing but someone who saw a score on the site you didn't like and proceeded to get salty about this and the worst part, in your case, is that none of this, as it stands with your current post, can be disproved.

Long story short, give me some evidence on why you believe this or I'm forced to dismiss what you're saying as salt. I mean the only evidence I have to your tastes, is your HOTD avatar and honestly, that doesn't give me a good first impression as to what you believe to be good anime.

Edit: I suppose I should say that I don't use MAL for anime news because I don't use any specific site for anime news or reviews really, so frankly, I'm counting on you to give me a worthwhile argument to dismiss them. Something that I believe I made very clear, however, is that you're failing at this utterly.

so you think im salty? lmao i'm not going have argument in my thread about what animes should be listed or higher rated as thats bias , and core issue is that site is bias reviews. i am far from salty i been watching anime for long time, and i seen what my animelist has been since as long as i can remember, personal opinion is the core issue, and there is a reason why i refuse to say what i think should be listed as that's confirmation biased, its not about what i think are better animes its the fact on how they score it. and scores of lot of animes are not correct, and that is the issue. i could post and show a score of said anime, but then all fanbois and girls would be complaining, and telling me i am wrong, if you wanna see what i mean, then how about instead wasted efforts trying get me to prove it to you, go look your self and form your own opinion of that but for sake of it, and i'm prob going regret it, but SAO has a score of: 8.041 out of 10, do i think its correct? no i do not, and many people should know why, because any random person online can score it , even if its correct or not, and reason why its soo high in score is fact of fans, sure large fan base makes it successful but not great or super awesome anime, just means that theme was good, and art , story on other hand and execution is different story for different day. also like to mention if enough people dislike/report your review it gets removed, even if its correct or not. so if i was put a bad review out on myanimelist on very mainstream anime within 24-48hours the fans nerd rage and make sure its removed.

This happens also on the forum section.
and my avatar holds no merit either, you have no idea why i pick that, and reason why i thought that scene in that anime was funny, does it mean i like it? thats for me to decide and i'm not going to preach it if i do or don't like that one anime, but the core reason i used it due to that scene in that anime is funny to me.
6056 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 9/21/15 , edited 9/21/15

bobland wrote:

MAL's community is pretty awful, to be honest. Forum is very toxic.

It's primary use is to keep track of shows, but it can also be used as a source to see what is good or not. Of course, MAL should not be the only source you use to judge anime; everyone's tastes is different and you have to adjust according to what you like.

I find their reviews to be pretty decent judges of anime, moreso than the score itself. However, since they modified the "Helpful/Not Helpful" option for reviews, I think twice before using reviews as a judge.

The major flaw of MAL scoring is that a score of 7.5 is "average", when it should be 5. A score of 5 in MAL currently means that the show is terrible. The scoring is weighted using the school grading system, leaving the 0-6 zone mostly unused. I myself am guilty of this, but it is something that is ingrained deeply into the MAL scoring system.

I would also like to add that older shows don't rank highly simply because not many people have seen them. More people see the popular shows, and due to recency bias they get relatively higher ratings. Add on that the ranking system is based on both score and popularity, it means that the lesser known older shows are not ranked as high.

Shows are popular for a reason, and I think that MAL does a decent job at emphasizing the popular shows.

i think you might be correct on lot of points that score system is flawed and one key thing you forgot, some are very popular due to media, like animes of mainstream aka popular have lot more media and that means bigger audience, and that makes hugeeeeeeeeee differences, if no one knew about Anime A but everyone has seen from media about anime B then anime B gets better scoring due to more exposure.
20300 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/21/15

bowzef wrote:


LITVoid wrote:




For the record, it isn't your lacking grammatical skill or spelling that takes away from the validity of your argument, it's the fact that other than ranting about what you believe to be incorrect scoring and reviewing on the part of MAL, you provide nothing in value for discussion or debate. Your lack of evidence, or rather, the nonlisting of shows that you believe are incorrectly scored, means that I have no way of confirming, to my own beliefs in various scores and opinion of shows, whether your rant is valid in any way.

To write something like this and then lack any kind of examples speaks more to your arguments than any spelling mistakes could ever hope to do. Your lack of evidence does nothing to convince me that you're nothing but someone who saw a score on the site you didn't like and proceeded to get salty about this and the worst part, in your case, is that none of this, as it stands with your current post, can be disproved.

Long story short, give me some evidence on why you believe this or I'm forced to dismiss what you're saying as salt. I mean the only evidence I have to your tastes, is your HOTD avatar and honestly, that doesn't give me a good first impression as to what you believe to be good anime.

Edit: I suppose I should say that I don't use MAL for anime news because I don't use any specific site for anime news or reviews really, so frankly, I'm counting on you to give me a worthwhile argument to dismiss them. Something that I believe I made very clear, however, is that you're failing at this utterly.

so you think im salty? lmao i'm not going have argument in my thread about what animes should be listed or higher rated as thats bias , and core issue is that site is bias reviews. i am far from salty i been watching anime for long time, and i seen what my animelist has been since as long as i can remember, personal opinion is the core issue, and there is a reason why i refuse to say what i think should be listed as that's confirmation biased, its not about what i think are better animes its the fact on how they score it. and scores of lot of animes are not correct, and that is the issue. i could post and show a score of said anime, but then all fanbois and girls would be complaining, and telling me i am wrong, if you wanna see what i mean, then how about instead wasted efforts trying get me to prove it to you, go look your self and form your own opinion of that but for sake of it, and i'm prob going regret it, but SAO has a score of: 8.041 out of 10, do i think its correct? no i do not, and many people should know why, because any random person online can score it , even if its correct or not, and reason why its soo high in score is fact of fans, sure large fan base makes it successful but not great or super awesome anime, just means that theme was good, and art , story on other hand and execution is different story for different day. also like to mention if enough people dislike/report your review it gets removed, even if its correct or not. so if i was put a bad review out on myanimelist on very mainstream anime within 24-48hours the fans nerd rage and make sure its removed.

This happens also on the forum section.


I realise that you probably don't want one, but since it's 4am and I'm bored, I'm going to try and have this discussion anyways, because I feel like you are woefully misunderstanding any point that I'm trying to make and as such, I feel the need to clarify and expand, to avoid such misunderstandings to continue.

First let's start with the idea of Bias, since you've thrown that word around a couple times. Bias is something that you will find in every review, whether that review be one published in the New York Times or the Crunchyroll review sections. That is, bias is an integral part of every review and reviewer and this is why it is important to know each reviewer's preferences, at least if you're using their review as a gauge as to whether you should watch or buy a particular product. While there are very critical things one can examine in a work as the basis for a review, things such as the casting, the direction and whatnot, a certain degree of bias will find its way into any media review you ever consume, so using such a word is probably not the wise thing to do.

Second, the reason that I ask for examples, is not so that I can judge your particular taste in anime, but rather compare it to the norms that permeate this particular 'era,' for lack of a better word, of anime viewing. Whether or not the norm is something to my taste, is not what I intended to do, because honestly, my own anime taste is probably outside of what we would call the norm, no, the purpose of examples is to showcase what you consider incorrect. Think of it as your most basic essay format, to present an idea, to support the idea with examples, and then conclude the piece with a repeat of your argument and speculation and expansion of the initial idea presented at the beginning of the argument.

Since you have so kindly provided me with an example, this being SAO, a show I'll admit, I've never watched and probably won't watch because it doesn't look to my taste, let's use it to showcase exactly what would have worked as an opening post rather than the rambling and ranting piece you presented to us.

I think by leading with something like your SAO example, one could have made a point for a clear and distinct separation between what the 'critical score' is and the 'commercial score,' as I like to call the fan review. The fact is that, like for example a Micheal Bay film, one could expect a disparity between what critics would say and what the audience would say, even in regards to something like SAO, that, from what I can tell, is a pretty standard affair story and direction wise. This is what aggregate sites such as Rotten Tomatoes do, and perhaps MAL should do this as well.

But let's get back on track here, the reason that I was so harsh in asking for an example, to repeat myself, is that without clear and concise examples, your post sounds nothing more than salty. It isn't so much that I default to thinking that, but rather with the way you present yourself, I have no choice but to assume this. Your own poor argument sinks your ship, not me.

So let's break this down into clear statements before I polish off this post

1. Bias exists in all reviews, for better or for worse, be wary of it, but not afraid of seeing it
2. Examples are required in any post trying to convince the audience that something needs change
3. Fanboy is spelled with a 'y' at the end. I realise that you said your grammar is poor, but for god's sake, that is not something that needs to be misspelled, nor should be misspelled
4. Fearing that 'fanboys' might disagree with your opinion on a forum is a piss poor excuse for a lack of evidence.

6056 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 9/21/15 , edited 9/21/15

LITVoid wrote:


bowzef wrote:


LITVoid wrote:




For the record, it isn't your lacking grammatical skill or spelling that takes away from the validity of your argument, it's the fact that other than ranting about what you believe to be incorrect scoring and reviewing on the part of MAL, you provide nothing in value for discussion or debate. Your lack of evidence, or rather, the nonlisting of shows that you believe are incorrectly scored, means that I have no way of confirming, to my own beliefs in various scores and opinion of shows, whether your rant is valid in any way.

To write something like this and then lack any kind of examples speaks more to your arguments than any spelling mistakes could ever hope to do. Your lack of evidence does nothing to convince me that you're nothing but someone who saw a score on the site you didn't like and proceeded to get salty about this and the worst part, in your case, is that none of this, as it stands with your current post, can be disproved.

Long story short, give me some evidence on why you believe this or I'm forced to dismiss what you're saying as salt. I mean the only evidence I have to your tastes, is your HOTD avatar and honestly, that doesn't give me a good first impression as to what you believe to be good anime.

Edit: I suppose I should say that I don't use MAL for anime news because I don't use any specific site for anime news or reviews really, so frankly, I'm counting on you to give me a worthwhile argument to dismiss them. Something that I believe I made very clear, however, is that you're failing at this utterly.

so you think im salty? lmao i'm not going have argument in my thread about what animes should be listed or higher rated as thats bias , and core issue is that site is bias reviews. i am far from salty i been watching anime for long time, and i seen what my animelist has been since as long as i can remember, personal opinion is the core issue, and there is a reason why i refuse to say what i think should be listed as that's confirmation biased, its not about what i think are better animes its the fact on how they score it. and scores of lot of animes are not correct, and that is the issue. i could post and show a score of said anime, but then all fanbois and girls would be complaining, and telling me i am wrong, if you wanna see what i mean, then how about instead wasted efforts trying get me to prove it to you, go look your self and form your own opinion of that but for sake of it, and i'm prob going regret it, but SAO has a score of: 8.041 out of 10, do i think its correct? no i do not, and many people should know why, because any random person online can score it , even if its correct or not, and reason why its soo high in score is fact of fans, sure large fan base makes it successful but not great or super awesome anime, just means that theme was good, and art , story on other hand and execution is different story for different day. also like to mention if enough people dislike/report your review it gets removed, even if its correct or not. so if i was put a bad review out on myanimelist on very mainstream anime within 24-48hours the fans nerd rage and make sure its removed.

This happens also on the forum section.


I realise that you probably don't want one, but since it's 4am and I'm bored, I'm going to try and have this discussion anyways, because I feel like you are woefully misunderstanding any point that I'm trying to make and as such, I feel the need to clarify and expand, to avoid such misunderstandings to continue.

First let's start with the idea of Bias, since you've thrown that word around a couple times. Bias is something that you will find in every review, whether that review be one published in the New York Times or the Crunchyroll review sections. That is, bias is an integral part of every review and reviewer and this is why it is important to know each reviewer's preferences, at least if you're using their review as a gauge as to whether you should watch or buy a particular product. While there are very critical things one can examine in a work as the basis for a review, things such as the casting, the direction and whatnot, a certain degree of bias will find its way into any media review you ever consume, so using such a word is probably not the wise thing to do.

Second, the reason that I ask for examples, is not so that I can judge your particular taste in anime, but rather compare it to the norms that permeate this particular 'era,' for lack of a better word, of anime viewing. Whether or not the norm is something to my taste, is not what I intended to do, because honestly, my own anime taste is probably outside of what we would call the norm, no, the purpose of examples is to showcase what you consider incorrect. Think of it as your most basic essay format, to present an idea, to support the idea with examples, and then conclude the piece with a repeat of your argument and speculation and expansion of the initial idea presented at the beginning of the argument.

Since you have so kindly provided me with an example, this being SAO, a show I'll admit, I've never watched and probably won't watch because it doesn't look to my taste, let's use it to showcase exactly what would have worked as an opening post rather than the rambling and ranting piece you presented to us.

I think by leading with something like your SAO example, one could have made a point for a clear and distinct separation between what the 'critical score' is and the 'commercial score,' as I like to call the fan review. The fact is that, like for example a Micheal Bay film, one could expect a disparity between what critics would say and what the audience would say, even in regards to something like SAO, that, from what I can tell, is a pretty standard affair story and direction wise. This is what aggregate sites such as Rotten Tomatoes do, and perhaps MAL should do this as well.

But let's get back on track here, the reason that I was so harsh in asking for an example, to repeat myself, is that without clear and concise examples, your post sounds nothing more than salty. It isn't so much that I default to thinking that, but rather with the way you present yourself, I have no choice but to assume this. Your own poor argument sinks your ship, not me.

So let's break this down into clear statements before I polish off this post

1. Bias exists in all reviews, for better or for worse, be wary of it, but not afraid of seeing it
2. Examples are required in any post trying to convince the audience that something needs change
3. Fanboy is spelled with a 'y' at the end. I realise that you said your grammar is poor, but for god's sake, that is not something that needs to be misspelled, nor should be misspelled
4. Fearing that 'fanboys' might disagree with your opinion on a forum is a piss poor excuse for a lack of evidence.


Here is SAO, the top rated review and you are aware of its score, before i even read the review one thing i already notice is that it talks about theme and art ect. you will see even admiting to the huge flaws and inconsistent to the pace and character development and story ect it still got scored at just over 8 even though there was lot of negative in this said persons review, apparently his fanboi for MMORPGS justifies it to be scored high just due to theme alone.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't really want to go into too much depth, but I'd like to give an overview of the series and give my opinions it. If you haven't noticed yet there are many negative reviews out there for this anime, and while many of them bring up some pretty fair points, I think some people are being a bit too harsh on it. Let me explain.

Yes it's a popular anime, yes it has flaws, no it's not perfect, but at the very least in my opinion it is enjoyable. The pacing is off, the beginning particularly feels rushed, there were moments where I thought I skipped an episode because of the time skips which made it difficult to really connect with any of the characters in the beginning, and there were some less than stellar instances where it felt like the anime was trying to make me care but failing hard.

Some characters felt to be completely forgotten throughout most of this series too. For example in the beginning we are introduced to a character named Klein who is quickly pushed aside after the first episode and barely seen again and doesn't really make much of an impact at all on the story later on. This seems to happen a lot throughout this series where there might be some emotional moments where a character dies, or something dramatic happens but there is really no emotional impact from it, and the main character seems to not really care that much about it or it doesn't really effect anything significantly.

I really felt this series shined from around episodes 4-13 and I wish they would have kept with that pace instead of rushing an ending midway and throwing something new at us. The second half just felt completely unnecessary and forced.

Pushing the negative aside, I found the overall theme and atmosphere of the series to be great, and being an avid lover the MMORPG genre obviously a lot of things in this series appealed to me. I really enjoyed the idea of being stuck in a game that was impossible to escape from without winning and having real consequences, it really made everything much more dramatic and meaningful in the story. Sadly this quickly goes away midway through the plot
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we can debate and you can make your points but this is what i mean, it scored high yet lot of negative in the review. now he has scored it a 7 out of 10, but some how myanimelist ranks it over 8, reason is clear as daylight , and you should know and i don't think i need to explain why.
49413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 9/21/15
Since I use it solely for keeping track of my anime and to keep in contact with a few people, I don't bother with forums. Every forum, including the CR forums, will always have people whom you disagree with or whom rate a show too highly. It's just part of the fandom. Just like with movies: Some people undyingly love Pulp Fiction, whereas I didn't find it more satisfying as, say, Reservoir Dogs or Good Will Hunting. It's all subjective.

The few forums I've been to, most users have been decent. I don't go on forums dedicated to Attack on Titan, SAO, Naruto, etc etc (not implying that those are the overrated shows you're talking about). I don't go there for a number of reasons: To avoid spoilers, to avoid overly-biased opinions that will do nothing but anger me, and to avoid any meaningless conflict and hate. I tend to stick to manga forums, because they tend to be more neutral.

As for the reviews...can't do anything about those. Reviews are biased in nature, and they aren't supposed to be professional reviews. Having said that, I also wouldn't point newcomers to MAL to get any anime recommendations either, because it's a very opinionated site. That's why I never read any reviews of any nature, and I find out what I like from close friends, trusted online individuals, and research.

The best way to deal with it, is to avoid it altogether. That's what I do.
6090 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / US
Offline
Posted 9/21/15

    I only use it for keeping track of anime / manga. Haven't even touched the forums. I've found some decent shows through recommendations, but I would only touch that system if you make sure that multiple have made the recommendation.
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/21/15 , edited 9/21/15

netdisorder wrote:

I only use myanimelist to keep track of what episode I'm on when I juggle multiple series. I couldn't care less about the community.


^This

I comment on the forums there, usually under individual episodes, but mostly I use the site to track what I'm watching and look up new content.

I don't really use their reviews or recommendations.

10619 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 9/21/15 , edited 9/21/15
just because you disagree with a review, doesn't mean that the review in question is "bad" or the person who wrote the review is a "hater"
just my 0.01 cent.
6056 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 9/21/15

namealreadytaken wrote:

just because you disagree with a review, doesn't mean that the review in question is "bad" or the person who wrote the review is a "hater"
just my 0.01 cent.


the review i post is not a hater if you referring to that, and haters are more on the forum side, they go around and hijacking threads and posts saying how garbage this and that anime is, and the studio behind them is bad and all this crap, and i can't remember the anime they where talking about, but like 80% of post where hate for some anime, and someone posted a link talking about how it did really well in japan, an was very good according to the Japanese anime and manga fanbase, but apparently these people think otherwise and it was plague like 6 pages long with saying how bad it was and all this, ended up getting locked by the mods, this was most recent one i seen on there, i don't talk or post on forums myself but i do look at what people say on here. one thing like to point out there is large amount of them go around giving everything bad reviews not sure why they very uhh negative on everything, and it seems be like a cancer in there forums.
10619 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 9/21/15

bowzef wrote:



MAL forums are meant to be ignored.
the reviews on the main page for a given anime is usually good enough, there's usually a couple positive reviews, and a few critical reviews.
they're not perfect by any means, but should give an idea on whether you'd enjoy the series or not. just don't take their scores too seriously.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 9/21/15
oh well.. back to notebook, keeping tracks on everything or does it?
5248 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/21/15

MP7373 wrote:

Sorry to say but mainstream shows are usually mainstream for a reason. Just because you don't agree with what the majority of people like doesn't mean that those people's preferences are invalid. Studies have shown that a decision by an ameteur hivemind is pretty much universally better than a decision made by a single qualified expert. This holds even more true for something that is subjective like show preference. Keep in mind that people may have also seen some of the shows that are your favorites and not rated them as highly as you, you just happen to have tastes that are not the same as most.


Now show me a link to what those have shown.
2135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Internet
Offline
Posted 9/21/15

Now show me a link to what those have shown.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wisdom_of_Crowds
15259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 9/21/15
I'm going to be honest; you just come off as a butt-hurt hipster who found out their favourite show has a lower average score than some lowbrow ecchi.

It is not possible to set in stone a score for any anime (or any entertainment for that matter) as people enjoy things differently and what one person would consider excellent another person would consider absolute trash. Additionally, the scores on my anime list are not decided by professionals, they are merely an average that can change over time as more people watch it or people change the score later on.

Also, you're surprised at forums being crap or filled with arses?

I think someone just wants a hug

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.