First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply What Does People of Color Mean When They Say It in the Media?
39090 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Your friendly nei...
Offline
Posted 9/24/15
They are talking about these people...



Posted 9/24/15 , edited 9/24/15
said in order to avoid saying the word black' or brown. it pisses off some folks because it's just being too cautious in an offensive way and that's not appreciated.

let me find a tale where it caused some issue..


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2927166/I-m-idiot-m-devastated-caused-offense-British-actor-Benedict-Cumberbatch-issues-apology-calling-black-people-colored-television.html

close enough lol
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 9/24/15
Well I mean NAACP has it right there in their name...
Banned
148 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/24/15

animegirl2222 wrote:

It usually is used by black people. From what I've seen a lot of other races aside from black people who aren't tumblr users don't like being grouped under the term "PoC" because it erases their singular identity, but for some reason a LOT of BLM supporters and black slactivists like to use it.

I personally don't like it because I don't believe in grouping every nonwhite person under a singular label, and if you're going to use something that even resembles a label, why not say "nonwhite"?

Some people are just trying to make themselves seem special and superior nowadays. Even saw some tumblrettes fall for a fake Weekly World News headliner claiming a black woman "knows everything". These dunderheads need to yank their head out of the gutter. Your race isn't superior to anyone, hunny. No race is superior to another. You also gotta love how they pick examples of the worst non black people and stack them up against the best examples of black people. Cherrypicking, huh, cute.

People just need to stop spewing the "weeeeeeee'reeeee soooooo oppresseddddd" banter at every second, period, though. I agree that this country has tried too hard to militarize some of its police forces and that guns shouldn't be first resort in apprehending suspects regardless of race, but oh my god when will some black Americans quit victimizing themselves?


You say this like you are mad lmaoooo
Posted 9/24/15
An utterly idiotic term filled with subtle contempt and racism - it is supposed to be for any non-white person, but the reference is for black people as we all know.
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 9/24/15

_extf wrote:
You say this like you are mad lmaoooo


I almost don't even know what to say about this.

Other than I missed your post to me on your other account, so if you'd like to repeat it, please do so now.
Banned
148 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/24/15 , edited 9/24/15

VZ68 wrote:

I almost don't even know what to say about this.

Other than I missed your post to me on your other account, so if you'd like to repeat it, please do so now.


No cause you'd just report like always
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 9/24/15 , edited 9/24/15

_extf wrote:

No cause you'd just report like always


LOL, I didn't even get to read it before the mod banned you last time.
Banned
148 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/24/15 , edited 9/24/15

VZ68 wrote:

LOL, I didn't even get to read it before the mod banned you last time.


well yeah i wont repeat it , lmao.

how is your day ?
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 9/24/15 , edited 9/24/15

Kenshin_Heisuke wrote:

Well, this subject relates to white privilege and how most everyone in Western media and society are considered "normal" if they're white. If a group of people are not white, then they use the term "people of color" as if to say "not normal" or "not like the majority".

In other words, people who aren't white (as the majority of Western Society are considered "people of color" (the minority).


I really hate the term "white privilege". It assumes all white people are born into some sort of incredible wealth and inordinately happy life.

I'm white. I grew up fucking poor. I grew up surrounded by minorities. Nobody gave a fuck that I was white till I moved up a bit in the world. (and trust me, it wasn't THAT much. It was just enough to avoid living my high school life in a ghetto of sorts and I didn't have to eat government issue peanut butter from the food banks and my mother didn't have to collect welfare anymore). Then the people I grew up with saw me as white and treated me as such. And it's not like black people who become wealthy and such aren't accused of being "too white" either.

"White" and "black" and "privilege" have more to do with your bankroll and the airs you start putting on. "Rich White People" are called that because most rich people are white.

And this isn't about ignoring the fact that racism exists. It most certainly does. Any sort of differences between two people are just fuel for the fire as to proving why one person is better than the other. And it doesn't help when stereotypes are reinforced, or become self fullfilling. Just saying a lot more of it has to do with looking down on people who in your mind are of lower class than you are. And sometimes your pity party, or taking on their cause as your personal crusade is offensive as fuck to them, especially if you don't even ask them what they want or what they believe. Doing shit like that, or talking "White privilege" while being lily white yourself is probably more about deriving pleasure in knowing that you feel bad for those with less. Instead of pity, why not go out there and figure out what needs to be done and help someone out.
748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/24/15

serifsansserif wrote:


Kenshin_Heisuke wrote:

Well, this subject relates to white privilege and how most everyone in Western media and society are considered "normal" if they're white. If a group of people are not white, then they use the term "people of color" as if to say "not normal" or "not like the majority".

In other words, people who aren't white (as the majority of Western Society are considered "people of color" (the minority).


I really hate the term "white privilege". It assumes all white people are born into some sort of incredible wealth and inordinately happy life.

I'm white. I grew up fucking poor. I grew up surrounded by minorities. Nobody gave a fuck that I was white till I moved up a bit in the world. (and trust me, it wasn't THAT much. It was just enough to avoid living my high school life in a ghetto of sorts and I didn't have to eat government issue peanut butter from the food banks and my mother didn't have to collect welfare anymore). Then the people I grew up with saw me as white and treated me as such. And it's not like black people who become wealthy and such aren't accused of being "too white" either.

"White" and "black" and "privilege" have more to do with your bankroll and the airs you start putting on. "Rich White People" are called that because most rich people are white.

And this isn't about ignoring the fact that racism exists. It most certainly does. Any sort of differences between two people are just fuel for the fire as to proving why one person is better than the other. And it doesn't help when stereotypes are reinforced, or become self fullfilling. Just saying a lot more of it has to do with looking down on people who in your mind are of lower class than you are. And sometimes your pity party, or taking on their cause as your personal crusade is offensive as fuck to them, especially if you don't even ask them what they want or what they believe. Doing shit like that, or talking "White privilege" while being lily white yourself is probably more about deriving pleasure in knowing that you feel bad for those with less. Instead of pity, why not go out there and figure out what needs to be done and help someone out.



I couldn't agree more!! Thank you for being open with your opinions. I myself am white and lower class. I grew up poor, eat from food banks and remain poor to this day. My previous quote was what I'm currently being taught in my social work classes in Canada...Needless to say, I don't believe them at all, but our professors are really forcing the whole "White Privilege" thing on us.
748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/24/15 , edited 9/24/15

scoobydew wrote:


Kenshin_Heisuke wrote:

Well, this subject relates to white privilege and how most everyone in Western media and society are considered "normal" if they're white. If a group of people are not white, then they use the term "people of color" as if to say "not normal" or "not like the majority".

In other words, people who aren't white (as the majority of Western Society are considered "people of color" (the minority).


What your saying is a serious topic but I cant look at your avatar she is all laughing at me


LOLOL Sry
41715 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 9/24/15 , edited 9/24/15

_extf wrote:


animegirl2222 wrote:

It usually is used by black people. From what I've seen a lot of other races aside from black people who aren't tumblr users don't like being grouped under the term "PoC" because it erases their singular identity, but for some reason a LOT of BLM supporters and black slactivists like to use it.

I personally don't like it because I don't believe in grouping every nonwhite person under a singular label, and if you're going to use something that even resembles a label, why not say "nonwhite"?

Some people are just trying to make themselves seem special and superior nowadays. Even saw some tumblrettes fall for a fake Weekly World News headliner claiming a black woman "knows everything". These dunderheads need to yank their head out of the gutter. Your race isn't superior to anyone, hunny. No race is superior to another. You also gotta love how they pick examples of the worst non black people and stack them up against the best examples of black people. Cherrypicking, huh, cute.

People just need to stop spewing the "weeeeeeee'reeeee soooooo oppresseddddd" banter at every second, period, though. I agree that this country has tried too hard to militarize some of its police forces and that guns shouldn't be first resort in apprehending suspects regardless of race, but oh my god when will some black Americans quit victimizing themselves?


You say this like you are mad lmaoooo


oh wow, now i realize you've respawned. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeee.

what, your fee fees hurt by the truth?
can't deny that a lot of people or at least black lives matter supporters love to victimize themselves.
you also can't deny that the term PoC is primarily used by black people and quite exclusionary to the point where ppl complain. also if not that most people don't like the idea of all nonwhite races being merged into one acronym.
is it that shocking?

I'm not saying all black people are like that. I've had black friends, I've had mixed friends and most of my current friend group are Hispanic, so obviously I dont think black ppl are all like that. However I don't like the sjw ones online and in real life even, who are. I hate the attitude of MOST extreme lefties.
13153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 9/24/15 , edited 9/24/15

Kenshin_Heisuke wrote:

Well, this subject relates to white privilege and how most everyone in Western media and society are considered "normal" if they're white. If a group of people are not white, then they use the term "people of color" as if to say "not normal" or "not like the majority".

In other words, people who aren't white (as the majority of Western Society are considered "people of color" (the minority).


White people have the privilege of never knowing what the current politically correct term for black people is, and being called racist if they guess wrong xD

PS: By (most) definitions, a minority is "not normal" and "not like the majority"...
87 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/24/15

Rujikin wrote:


Asiatic wrote:

In Canada, it's more geared towards different ethnic groups other than Caucasians.

As for a speech, I'd keep it short and possibly classy as well. I tend to blab and wouldn't want to do that on stage, in front of many people and then the thousands that could be watching on television and etc. Noooo thaaaank yoooou.


I don't know about you but I have yet to meet a single person whos family hails from the Caucasian Mountains. Is Canada full of these wild unicorns?


Get exploring and find that out yourself.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.