First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Fruits Basket
1107 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Alberta, Canada.
Offline
Posted 11/24/15
...this series was junior high for me.... I read the first few, then got bored. But my friends at the time were completely obsessed. And the fan fictions.... D: do not want. At any rate, there were three of us, and two of them being obsessed decided nicknames were in order. The one nicknamed Shi-chan found all the nastiest fan fiction, and would share it with all. The one nicknamed Aya was kinda... well... hm. I haven't spoken to here in years because she kinda went off the deep end after high school. And I was dubbed Hatori, or more frequently Tori, because I was unimpressed with the whole idea, had hair over half my face, and was the tallest.

Then in high school there were more friends, which meant more nicknames. Nicknames were needed though... there were three pairs of people with similar names to each other. Kristen and Kristine, Emma and Emily, and Melissa and Mirissa. So Yuki and Kyo got theirs for always bantering with each other, Tohru for not being the brightest crayon in the box, and yeah... it was odd.

But I couldn't get into it. I found the whole thing just over the top. Like, it was trying so hard to be meaningful or emotional that it lessened the characters in a way. It made them all seem very artificial. At least in my mind. But to each their own.
91 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 11/25/15 , edited 11/25/15
I remember my friend recommending this to me back in middle school. That was back when I first started to read manga. I loved it. I was sad when it finally ended, but I was happy with the ending. The anime kinda sucked. Things were changed that shouldn't have been. The entire eye color difference kind of annoyed me.

A remake needs to be made!

(The friend that recommended Fruits Basket to me nicknamed me "Kyo." It was originally "Ashee," but she must have gotten bored with it. I don't know why. I don't act like him whatsoever. She still calls me that to this day. It is where my username came from, but I've add "ko" because it is more a feminine name that way.)
JuJu26 
27552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 12/4/15
351 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Does it matter?
Offline
Posted 1/7/16
I really like Fruits Basket because it was one of the first series that got me into manga but the ending seemed disappointing to me. I feel like the author could have elaborated a bit more and also they didn't even show Tohru or Kyo's faces in the end. I'm not sure how I feel about this new Fruits Basket Another series...They seemed to be more like shorts than actual chapters.
2932 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / London Below
Offline
Posted 2/21/16 , edited 2/21/16


Goodness, this post is old. I don't get on here enough to have seen this...Anyway...Unfortunately, I don't think I could give an in-depth explanation without spoilers. In part because it's a lot to explain and work around without them, and I also don't know how to censor myself. On purpose. (I'm one of those inconsiderate people who gives no cares about giving/reviving spoilers). It's one of those things you just have to read. All the connections and crossing lines are VERY hard to get into without spoiling things because of how many connections there are in the series.

I can tell you that it DOES start off a bit slow and will take a few books to get into some of the deeper stuff. You just have to keep pushing yourself through that early part and all the character introductions. In my case, I've always adored slice-of-life type stories, which is in part what this is. It's character, not plot driven. Each character has their own personal struggle and story that they're working through and I personally think they're well-written and connected together nicely.
69864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / New Haven,CT
Offline
Posted 2/21/16

LostButterflyUtau wrote:



Goodness, this post is old. I don't get on here enough to have seen this...Anyway...Unfortunately, I don't think I could give an in-depth explanation without spoilers. In part because it's a lot to explain and work around without them, and I also don't know how to censor myself. On purpose. (I'm one of those inconsiderate people who gives no cares about giving/reviving spoilers). It's one of those things you just have to read. All the connections and crossing lines are VERY hard to get into without spoiling things because of how many connections there are in the series.

I can tell you that it DOES start off a bit slow and will take a few books to get into some of the deeper stuff. You just have to keep pushing yourself through that early part and all the character introductions. In my case, I've always adored slice-of-life type stories, which is in part what this is. It's character, not plot driven. Each character has their own personal struggle and story that they're working through and I personally think they're well-written and connected together nicely.


Well least you remembered me ;D. It doesn't matter since i read it all and fell in love with it. To bad i can't find a slow romance manga like that again ): i have read to many XD
mnmike 
19133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/21/16

iceman009 wrote:

Well least you remembered me ;D. It doesn't matter since i read it all and fell in love with it. To bad i can't find a slow romance manga like that again ): i have read to many XD


What other romance manga have you liked besides Fruits Basket? I might be able to make some suggestions...
22 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Domino City, Japa...
Offline
Posted 2/21/16
For me, I first got into Fruits Basket when I watched the anime back in 8th grade and I was 13 at the time. Back in the old days, people used to upload anime series on to YouTube and I would watch every episode I could find before the videos were taken down for copyright violations. I don't know what happened, but Fruits Basket instantly became one of my favorite anime series which I still love to this day. To be honest, I haven't really read all of the manga and the only things I can recall is that one chapter where Tohru meets Haru for the first time. I actually own most of the manga volumes cause over the summer Right Stuf was having a sale. I would've started reading the series but, I'm missing a few books so I'm not going to start until I have all in my possession

Like everyone else, I really wish there was another season of Fruits Basket and I thought the anime was well done. I have the DVDs too and hopefully I can do a proper re-watch sometime soon.
36 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 2/21/16
My first manga, forever treasured
69864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / New Haven,CT
Offline
Posted 2/22/16

mnmike wrote:


iceman009 wrote:

Well least you remembered me ;D. It doesn't matter since i read it all and fell in love with it. To bad i can't find a slow romance manga like that again ): i have read to many XD


What other romance manga have you liked besides Fruits Basket? I might be able to make some suggestions...


http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/swordman009
All i've ever read somewhat not updated but yea im a fan of romance and like alot of volumes c; (love my battle shounen as well not gonna lie romance/action is my favorite mix) If want me to be specific and don't wanna click my link just say and i'll put like 5-10 romance mangas i reallly liked.....
mnmike 
19133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/22/16

iceman009 wrote:

http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/swordman009
All i've ever read somewhat not updated but yea im a fan of romance and like alot of volumes c; (love my battle shounen as well not gonna lie romance/action is my favorite mix) If want me to be specific and don't wanna click my link just say and i'll put like 5-10 romance mangas i reallly liked.....


So looks like, not counting the action manga, you have a lot of shoujo there and a smattering of other things. Anyway, all of these are good, longer series; I've broken them down by genre:


Shoujo:
---------
SA: Special A
Lovely Complex
Kyou, Koi wo Hajimematsu
W Juliet
Kare "First Love"
Gentlemen's Alliance Cross


Josei:
-------
Oishii Kanei
Kimi wa Petto


Seinen
---------:
Ah My Goddess! (starts a bit old school, but it ran for 20 years--if you want romance with some comedy and action mixed in, look here)
Ai Yori Aoshi
Umi no Misaki
Orange Yane no Chiisane Ie
Chobits
Mysterious Girl X


Shounen:
------------
Love Hina
Angel Densetsu (the romance is more a sub-plot; really it's a comedy/brawling manga... but man, it's funny, and the romance is very good once it starts)
Kagetora
mnmike 
19133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/22/16 , edited 2/22/16

iceman009 wrote:

http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/swordman009
All i've ever read somewhat not updated but yea im a fan of romance and like alot of volumes c; (love my battle shounen as well not gonna lie romance/action is my favorite mix) If want me to be specific and don't wanna click my link just say and i'll put like 5-10 romance mangas i reallly liked.....


I was thinking about this some more. Most of the ones I listed above are pure romance manga (or rom-coms). If you specifically want a mix of action and romance, the best ones I've read are:

W Change (yakuza/martial arts)
Change 123 (mixed martial arts)
Ratman (super hero)
Sumomo Momomo (fantastical martial arts)
Full Metal Panic/ FMP: Sigma (military combat w/ mechas ; Sigma is the continuation of the story)

They vary in length, and personally I'm not a huge fan of action manga so I am not a good judge of the quality of those parts, but I at least enjoyed the story and the romance in each of them.
423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Ov3r th3 R4in|3o\/\/
Offline
Posted 2/25/16
I also love "Fruit Basket," too. Yesterday, I just tried to find the anime on Youtube, but unfortunately I can't watch it now, maybe I should find the manga to read one more time. The plot seems interesting and I love all the characters. I didn't remember much about the story, but a little about Tohru. Anyway, I really love this manga <3
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.