First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply So this Umaru...
4218 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/29/15
i watch this show after watching a depressing anime to try and lighten the mood
263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 10/19/15
The worst part about the show is that everyone I know who has seen it thinks of me instantly. I should maybe reevaluate my life choices
33924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 10/19/15


She would steal your soul even before you can think of doing that.

62784 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 10/19/15

qualeshia3 wrote:
And then you will go to jail.

We don't know that.
17735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M /
Offline
Posted 10/20/15
Everybody has different masks they wear at different times. I have one for when I am online and another when dealing with people in the real world. Umaru might be more extreme though. But one thing I think people miss is that the Doma family is super rich so both Umaru and Taihei have a lot of social pressure to maintain respectability. She couldn't relax at her family home so moved in with her brother. Yes, Taihei Doma is very kind and patient, but he's not perfect either. But both Nana Ebina and Kanau Kongou seem to be in love with him. A lot of stuff you see about Umaru that reveals her true character are never openly spoken about but shown. For example the Samurai Cat doll gotten by Taihei was kept in immaculate condition by both Umaru and Kanau. Later on when Taihei got Umaru a Japanese doll rather than the anime action figure it is seen in a place of honour next to the Samurai Cat doll. She gave up on a wish because she realized the strain it was putting on Taihei. (I should also mention that while Taihei was surprised at the price of the van (3 million yen); he never said he couldn't afford it.) Umaru cares about her brother and friends. That is shown repeatedly. Yes she teases Taihei and can be selfish at times, but hasn't everybody have those moments too? But I have to admit that Nana Elbina is my favorite character from the show.

38411 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/20/15

Elzabetel wrote:

If she were my sister, I would murder her in her sleep.



After watching the first two episodes I totally agree but she slowly changes over the series and becomes less murder-worthy. Maybe a few Gibbs-smacks.
9127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/20/15
This show legitimately made me hurl. I don't understand the hype.
Posted 10/20/15
I actually thought Kirino was better; however Kirino's tsun was played for drama and comedy versus Umaru where it is only played for comedy. I mean come, she literally has the mentality of a 6 year old. Too old!
144751 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Overlord's Castle
Offline
Posted 10/20/15
your just in the denial, I am pretty sure there is a little umaru in each and everyone of us.

I mean seriously, is there really anyone on this site that has not stayed up all night watching anime or playing video games, nagged their parents to buy them something, binged on junk food, and spent all their money on games, manga, and figurines?
2468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/20/15 , edited 10/20/15

Gafennec wrote:

But one thing I think people miss is that the Doma family is super rich so both Umaru and Taihei have a lot of social pressure to maintain respectability. She couldn't relax at her family home so moved in with her brother.




We don't really get that vibe from how they show their lifestyle. Taihei seems to hate his job and their home seems rather normal. They really do make it subtle. I do agree it reminds me of Oreimo in many ways with that question of whether its okay to be what you want as long as you are successful.
43236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 10/20/15
she gets better over time as she becomes better friends with the others
Posted 10/20/15

Kira0309 wrote:

your just in the denial, I am pretty sure there is a little umaru in each and everyone of us.

I mean seriously, is there really anyone on this site that has not stayed up all night watching anime or playing video games, nagged their parents to buy them something, binged on junk food, and spent all their money on games, manga, and figurines?


When they were children, but 16 years old don't necessarily act like that. :/
8632 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 10/20/15
Sexualize the UMR.
JuJu26 
27552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/20/15

Elzabetel wrote:

If she were my sister, I would murder her in her sleep.



I'd say no to that because her character is that of a regular bratty teenage girl. They do and say things they don't mean. Plus, the moe and kawaii-ness would overload me into forgiveness!
17735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M /
Offline
Posted 10/20/15

GotenLoooovesCorn wrote:


Gafennec wrote:

But one thing I think people miss is that the Doma family is super rich so both Umaru and Taihei have a lot of social pressure to maintain respectability. She couldn't relax at her family home so moved in with her brother.


We don't really get that vibe from how they show their lifestyle. Taihei seems to hate his job and their home seems rather normal. They really do make it subtle. I do agree it reminds me of Oreimo in many ways with that question of whether its okay to be what you want as long as you are successful.


It is very subtle and you have to pick up the clues. For example in the episode about the Samurai Cat doll young Umaru was shown in what appeared to be in an expensive penthouse apartment. Last episode Bomber said something to the effect of: If I remember correctly his family is super-loaded. That doesn't mean money is freely given to the kids.We don't really know the family dynamics. Money could be in an untouchable trust fund till a certain age for example. I will say the one time we see Taihei and Umaru's mom it was a nice, touching episode. I also don't think Taihei hates the job, but does get irked at Alex Tachibana and Takeshi "bomber" Motoba slacking off at work. He seems to have a good relationship with his chief of department (Kanau Kongou), but the fact she was still single and living alone made me sad for her. Himouto! Umaru-chan is a very subtle show. Lots of little stuff to pick up on if you watch.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.