First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply What's the Deal With Roleplaying (RP)
17006 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 9/28/15

Dariamus wrote:


dchompy wrote:

Whoa, I swear I clicked Crunchyroll general discussion not wow general discussion


What does roleplay have to do with WoW, or even computers?

All you need is a few friends and imagination. Anything from D&D to Shakespeare is fair game.


Usually these type of threads appear on the WoW gd and its often that wow roleplayers are mocked or misunderstood there and so I thought it was a little funny that I saw this topic come up here.
60483 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Bay Area, CA, USA
Offline
Posted 9/28/15

Bavalt wrote:

It's not so much pretending to be someone else as it is acting. It's co-operatively writing a story with your friends in real-time. Your character is both your tool to move the plot and your personal "protagonist" through whom you experience the story, just like you would in any other kind of fiction. I started playing tabletop games with DnD about ten years ago, and while it definitely took some getting used to, it's one of my favorite hobbies now. I suppose it depends on who you play with, but from my experience, it's not as immersive as you make it sound. People are always breaking character to comment on what's going on, and you get people having their characters making decisions they never would themselves, because the player doesn't come into the equation except as a meta element.


This says pretty well my own take on it. Back in the day of AD&D and 2nd edition (1990's or so), a bunch of us played regularly in college-- every Friday starting about 7 or 8pm and going until mid-morning or even noon the next day-- it was good times. Maybe there are some out there who blur the line between reality and imagination, but we never had any illusions it was anything but a game (or "theater" as another poster put it-- another good word to describe it)-- any more than a person playing, say, Pac-man does not actually somehow "become" Pac-man when playing. As marriage, kid, jobs and other concerns entered the picture, the time spent dwindled (maybe a couple hours on a Friday at most), and some like me moved away, but I think the core group still there in the Midwest is still playing regularly last I heard! Is it now 4th edition or something? Maybe not for everyone, sure, but it was fun.
11505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/28/15

Buckerss wrote:


lambofgenesis wrote:

Most RP is just an excuse to start cybering...


What even? You know what RP is right?


Yeah. I mean, I'm a writer... so... I've been on and off RP'ing since high school. V:tm was awesome for RP cuz there were Toreadors who liked to write poetry like me (and I mean the guys) (and who weren't gay). And it was really awesome to get super creative and descriptive. But I got kicked out cuz it was 18+ and I was 15 or 16 or something like htat...

Then in 2009ish, I spent a year on Bleach MUSH and even made admin there. Lots of awesome RPs there based on Bleach. Had like 3 - 4 chars. Mostly anime fans there, and people weren't descriptive like in V:TM, but it was still fun. We did Friday night hollow runs where a large hollow attacked karakura, and we all just so happened to have been walking by and attacked it. Problem is those group fights always devolve into "show how you defended/tensed hollow's attack, then describe your next attack". There wasn't much in the way of drama or teamwork, except for some people who actually cared about that. Also there wasn't much character development there too during those large fights.

SO ANYWAY, Yeah I know what RP is, and YOU KNOW HWAT?! It's 90% cybering. I didn't cyber, but that's what people did ^^. Either the girls + girls, or the guys + girls or the ... G.I.R.L.S + girls or G.I.R.L.S + G.I.R.L.S. That's what most RP ends up being. You can like tell me I'm wrong, and I know I'm wrong because there's /some/ non-cyber RP, but people just really want to cyber, in the end.

Oh and to quote OP, yeah, some people on Bleach MUSH were like 30+ and their chars were 5 year old shinigamis or 5 year old psychic humans. But most people on Bleach MUSH was 15-20.

Since MUDs and MUSHs are sadly dying, I sort of feel bad for RPers. I tried Roll20 once, but that's just not the same as the commands and awesomeness of MUSHs and MUDs.
190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / London
Offline
Posted 9/29/15
“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
Posted 9/29/15
I don't RP but it's unfair to say all RP is 30 year old males acting like 14 year old girls.

Sure maybe in a pretty messed up RP environment but yeah. I think must people roleplay as there characters. I play WoW so I understand a little bit about RP even though I don't RP myself. People would usually RP there characters. Lets say this guy was a human Warrior or something. He might go around acting like a medieval knight or something. Or a fantasy knight, he might talk and act like that was really him. His character, the human Warrior.

It's not really a bad thing. It may seem weird to some people but It's just good fun for those people. I don't think it's right to really hate on it. I understand the hate though. WoW also introduced me to something called "Moonguard" and the "Goldshire Inn", it's a lot of, I assume, neckbeards RPing with other neckbeards as female characters. While also keeping itself up because of the trolls who go there to view it.It's a like a messed up tourist attraction for WoW lol.

Well that's my take for the story.
Posted 9/29/15
I used to "roleplay". Thinking back, that's sort of embarrassing...~

I'd like to someday play D&D after spending a few hours learning the basics and how to properly play. I've always been interested in tabletop RPs. I always wanted to be a paladin that's getting too intense about the whole "Smite evil" gig. At least in D&D.
6071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/29/15 , edited 9/29/15
I just have a problem with an adult roleplaying and fantasizing themselves as a child.
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/29/15

ArgyleJackal wrote:

I just have a problem with an adult roleplaying and fantasizing themselves as a child.

One of they guys in my current tabletop group plays a 6 year old girl

The lawyer in our group (who usually plays evil/insane characters) trying play a paladin serving my previous character is much more interesting.

Posted 9/29/15
I love role playing as someone's onii chan, or if I'm feeling extra frisky, someone's onee chan. I'll go up to little girls and I'll be like "can I be your ONII CHAN?!" and they'll be like "what is an onii chan?" and I'll be like "An ONII CHAN IS AN ONII CHAN IS AN ONII CHAN! I'll BE YOUR ONII CHAN AND LOVE YOU FOREVER!" and so on and so forth till the pseudo incest starts. In a way we're not really roleplaying, cause we really are onii chan and imoutos. We may not be related by blood, but we're related by love.


Posted 9/29/15 , edited 9/29/15

furytime wrote:

I don't RP but it's unfair to say all RP is 30 year old males acting like 14 year old girls.

Sure maybe in a pretty messed up RP environment but yeah. I think must people roleplay as there characters. I play WoW so I understand a little bit about RP even though I don't RP myself. People would usually RP there characters. Lets say this guy was a human Warrior or something. He might go around acting like a medieval knight or something. Or a fantasy knight, he might talk and act like that was really him. His character, the human Warrior.

It's not really a bad thing. It may seem weird to some people but It's just good fun for those people. I don't think it's right to really hate on it. I understand the hate though. WoW also introduced me to something called "Moonguard" and the "Goldshire Inn", it's a lot of, I assume, neckbeards RPing with other neckbeards as female characters. While also keeping itself up because of the trolls who go there to view it.It's a like a messed up tourist attraction for WoW lol.

Well that's my take for the story.


I myself, didn't have much of an issue, but I will say some of those ERPer's got really obnoxious. To new players that came in, it was kind of a turn off, but a simple remedy of turning off general chat, generally solves it.
Posted 9/29/15
Well my day was made. Thanks for the reference to Moonguard.
38980 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Your friendly nei...
Offline
Posted 9/29/15
Buncha nerds.. imma go watch anime....
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 9/29/15 , edited 9/29/15

AirMarshall wrote:

I've RP'd mainly on MMOs, and I started on a game called Star Wars Galaxies (RIP). That game was so immersive... I just got caught up in everything going on... unfortunately, TOR (Star Wars: The Old Republic) mainly targets PVPers, so I'm on and off with it. Haven't RP'd on anything else. I've never LARP'd, or RP'd on tabletops, ERP... I will not say if I have ERP'd or not... cuz you know, *Whispers* that's TMI

I guess I just love actually wanting to be in the universe of the game I'm currently playing, that's just what I like and what others like. Some people are more for the competitive side of MMOs, and that's fine too, I just feel that the WoW style of MMO is dying, and I loved SWG so much because it's one of the few MMOs post-WoW release that isn't like WoW. I played WoW for a month and just got bored with it... the community was absolutely awful. You mess up once in a dungeon and you get cussed out and reported, just like in LoL, you can report someone for being bad at the game... But I digress...


I was a fan of SWG too. good times good times.


5107 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Midwestern United...
Offline
Posted 9/29/15

lambofgenesis wrote:


Buckerss wrote:


lambofgenesis wrote:

Most RP is just an excuse to start cybering...


What even? You know what RP is right?


Yeah. I mean, I'm a writer... so... I've been on and off RP'ing since high school. V:tm was awesome for RP cuz there were Toreadors who liked to write poetry like me (and I mean the guys) (and who weren't gay). And it was really awesome to get super creative and descriptive. But I got kicked out cuz it was 18+ and I was 15 or 16 or something like htat...

Then in 2009ish, I spent a year on Bleach MUSH and even made admin there. Lots of awesome RPs there based on Bleach. Had like 3 - 4 chars. Mostly anime fans there, and people weren't descriptive like in V:TM, but it was still fun. We did Friday night hollow runs where a large hollow attacked karakura, and we all just so happened to have been walking by and attacked it. Problem is those group fights always devolve into "show how you defended/tensed hollow's attack, then describe your next attack". There wasn't much in the way of drama or teamwork, except for some people who actually cared about that. Also there wasn't much character development there too during those large fights.

SO ANYWAY, Yeah I know what RP is, and YOU KNOW HWAT?! It's 90% cybering. I didn't cyber, but that's what people did ^^. Either the girls + girls, or the guys + girls or the ... G.I.R.L.S + girls or G.I.R.L.S + G.I.R.L.S. That's what most RP ends up being. You can like tell me I'm wrong, and I know I'm wrong because there's /some/ non-cyber RP, but people just really want to cyber, in the end.

Oh and to quote OP, yeah, some people on Bleach MUSH were like 30+ and their chars were 5 year old shinigamis or 5 year old psychic humans. But most people on Bleach MUSH was 15-20.

Since MUDs and MUSHs are sadly dying, I sort of feel bad for RPers. I tried Roll20 once, but that's just not the same as the commands and awesomeness of MUSHs and MUDs.


Just to clarify... "cybering" is still a reference to "cyber sex" which has nothing to do with cyborgs but just means people basically engaging in discussion or (at least claiming) to engage in acts of a sexually provocative nature online?

If not... my bad. Can you tell me what you mean?

If it is then either you are most unfortunate (because you weren't seeking it out), need to be honest (because you were seeking it out) or simply are remembering that aspect of your experience. In all cases, misleading exaggeration/hyperbole won't help emphasis your point but rather will confuse it (though perhaps your guess of 90% is entirely sincere).

Sex is a pretty central part of life given that is how most of us were conceived and that most of us enjoy it, with who knows how dwelling on it. As such, yes it will show up in role-playing... but there is a difference between those that are there entirely because they enjoy play-acting sex or engaging in sexually charged discussion and when sexual activity occurs in game. It isn't cybering when one of the PCs flirts with the NPC guard to lure him out of position so the rest of the party can access their true objective.

Unless the GM and the player really are just using it as an excuse, but that kind of goes for anything: while less likely a player can have his PC provide a fight with an NPC just to have an excuse to cuss out the GM (only in character!). It can be a bit dicey when a sexual situation does arise in game, especially if the plot necessitates role-playing it out; thankfully that should at worst be a rare problem unless you're gaming with the wrong people.
11505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/29/15 , edited 9/29/15

KamisamanoOtaku wrote:


lambofgenesis wrote:


Buckerss wrote:


lambofgenesis wrote:

Most RP is just an excuse to start cybering...


What even? You know what RP is right?


Yeah. I mean, I'm a writer... so... I've been on and off RP'ing since high school. V:tm was awesome for RP cuz there were Toreadors who liked to write poetry like me (and I mean the guys) (and who weren't gay). And it was really awesome to get super creative and descriptive. But I got kicked out cuz it was 18+ and I was 15 or 16 or something like htat...

Then in 2009ish, I spent a year on Bleach MUSH and even made admin there. Lots of awesome RPs there based on Bleach. Had like 3 - 4 chars. Mostly anime fans there, and people weren't descriptive like in V:TM, but it was still fun. We did Friday night hollow runs where a large hollow attacked karakura, and we all just so happened to have been walking by and attacked it. Problem is those group fights always devolve into "show how you defended/tensed hollow's attack, then describe your next attack". There wasn't much in the way of drama or teamwork, except for some people who actually cared about that. Also there wasn't much character development there too during those large fights.

SO ANYWAY, Yeah I know what RP is, and YOU KNOW HWAT?! It's 90% cybering. I didn't cyber, but that's what people did ^^. Either the girls + girls, or the guys + girls or the ... G.I.R.L.S + girls or G.I.R.L.S + G.I.R.L.S. That's what most RP ends up being. You can like tell me I'm wrong, and I know I'm wrong because there's /some/ non-cyber RP, but people just really want to cyber, in the end.

Oh and to quote OP, yeah, some people on Bleach MUSH were like 30+ and their chars were 5 year old shinigamis or 5 year old psychic humans. But most people on Bleach MUSH was 15-20.

Since MUDs and MUSHs are sadly dying, I sort of feel bad for RPers. I tried Roll20 once, but that's just not the same as the commands and awesomeness of MUSHs and MUDs.


Just to clarify... "cybering" is still a reference to "cyber sex" which has nothing to do with cyborgs but just means people basically engaging in discussion or (at least claiming) to engage in acts of a sexually provocative nature online?

If not... my bad. Can you tell me what you mean?

If it is then either you are most unfortunate (because you weren't seeking it out), need to be honest (because you were seeking it out) or simply are remembering that aspect of your experience. In all cases, misleading exaggeration/hyperbole won't help emphasis your point but rather will confuse it (though perhaps your guess of 90% is entirely sincere).

Sex is a pretty central part of life given that is how most of us were conceived and that most of us enjoy it, with who knows how dwelling on it. As such, yes it will show up in role-playing... but there is a difference between those that are there entirely because they enjoy play-acting sex or engaging in sexually charged discussion and when sexual activity occurs in game. It isn't cybering when one of the PCs flirts with the NPC guard to lure him out of position so the rest of the party can access their true objective.

Unless the GM and the player really are just using it as an excuse, but that kind of goes for anything: while less likely a player can have his PC provide a fight with an NPC just to have an excuse to cuss out the GM (only in character!). It can be a bit dicey when a sexual situation does arise in game, especially if the plot necessitates role-playing it out; thankfully that should at worst be a rare problem unless you're gaming with the wrong people.


What do they call cyber sex nowadays, if not cybering. Or is that not a term anymore.

On MUSH's and MUDs, we had like... a system that's hard-coded, so we didn't need a GM. If you've ever played a text-based game, all the rooms are coded in, so areas are premade, and they routinely add more. The roll system is coded too. So it's pretty much automated. GMs are used (I guess yeah the admins would be GMs) during large events with NPCs or quests or whatever. But most RP is done privately. If you're online and someone else is online, you can just PM them "Hey u wanna rp!" and then you'll meet up at X area or X room, pose your characters in (or whatever pose would be in non-MUSH terms... I guess it would be emote, and that would be that.......) skills are precoded, both active and passive, and non-combat too. So if combat should happen, you'd just type +attack <player> <skillname> and the code would do all the rolling to see if it's a success or not.

When I say cybering, I'm not talking about flirting with an NPC or talking dirty. I mean, full-on graphic acts. I've not been involved in one, but most of the times I've been walking around town and walk into an area with 2 people RPing and one so happens to enter his emote, I see the "THEN HE SLIDES HIS ____ AND MOANS" or something like that.

With girls they're always experimenting with each other, or with some guy they happen to have "caught"... that "arrancar vs shinigami captive" :P.

Anyway, so I might not have actually sat there and counted up all the cyber RPs and non-cyber RPs and tabulated it to exactly 90%, but it's certainly more than non-cyber RPs. And mostly due to yaoi and yuri. But then again on V:TM, for some reason all vampires just have sex when there's 2 or more close acquaintances in a room.

I guess in tabletop RPs where you're always RPing in a large ass group, people won't cyber, or probably can't LOL. But, yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaah on MUDs and MUSHs where people can have private RPs here and there... that's what goes down. Not to mention that when people send their RP logs in to get XP so they can make more custom skills, there's more than a handful that's been edited to cut out the cyber parts...

Although sex is a part of life, you don't see it too often explicitly in mainstream anime. But, I like your point that sex is part of everyday life, it's just that the people in my games who RP usually end up doing mostly cyber RPs, which IMHO is what they really end up enjoying, and do non-cyber RPs just for the XP.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.