First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Have you ever quit or left your job without telling the place anything?
17765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 10/2/15
i walked off one job cus i was second from strangling the customers.
5100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / ...drifting off i...
Offline
Posted 10/3/15

lambofgenesis wrote:


Raith94 wrote:

Nope, but people do it all the time where I work. It kinda makes everyone a bit PO'd at first, but everyone seems to forget about it over time. I have been working there for 3 years so I have seen a lot of people do it, but if I were to bring up their names to managers I doubt they would even remember who it was...


Wow, you must have an awesome workplace

Cuz my last job.. if u quit without notice they dock ur paycheck, so u kno... idk.




I work for Wal-Mart.. lol

It just happens so often that the managers just dont care anymore it seems. We once had a guy come in for 1 shift and then he never showed up again.... stuff like that happens like every week or so where I work.
9102 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F
Offline
Posted 10/3/15
ya. I usually just walk out and never come back.
7467 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/3/15

nemoskull wrote:

i walked off one job cus i was second from strangling the customers.


and I thought I was the only one who felt this way >_>
199 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / New York
Offline
Posted 10/3/15
Yeah, I did one job when the staff and even customers complained about everything. I didn't mind it for a while, but then it got out of hand when other staff members did nothing but play on their phones and asked me to do their stuff instead and the manager would pay me less. Never went back there and told my whole family and friends not to go there, especially since customer service was also pretty bad. Glad I did though.
Posted 10/3/15 , edited 10/3/15
that is absolutely me. It took me 2 hours to leave starbucks last week with a bunch of strangers I just met because I didn't want to make an announcement. I'd definitely just try to slip out.
199 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / New York
Offline
Posted 10/3/15

noka_ wrote:

that is absolutely me. It took me 2 hours to leave starbucks last week with a bunch of strangers I just met because I didn't want to make an announcement. I'd definitely just try to slip out.


I remember one of the Starbucks I went to had horrible workers and customer service. I had ordered a small pumpkin latte with sugar, and they gave me a super watery mocha latte. I complained and never got my money back. the workers didn't even want to serve anyone, they played on their phones and stuff.
Tarya 
52889 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / F / Virginia, US
Online
Posted 10/3/15 , edited 10/3/15

lambofgenesis wrote:


Tarya wrote:

I turned in my resignation and quit with no notice at my last job.
I had been with the company for 7.5 years, and I found out through an email between my immediate boss and the CEO that they had been searching for and had found a replacement for me that could start in a couple of weeks - AND the newbie was going to be paid more than me. They had left this email purposefully for me to find and read.
I was floored and really didn't know how I should react. I would have understood if I just sucked at my job, but they had just given me a raise a few months prior and my evaluation said I was a doing an excellent job. Come to find out, they had been planning to get rid of me for months - even before I had gotten the raise.
Anyways, I don't advocate for quitting without notice - it makes it harder to find a new job. But in this instance, it was a matter of pride, and I was NOT going to train my replacement (I've had to do that before and it is mortifying). I wanted to inconvenience my employers because I felt that was the only way to show how upset I was - I mean how spineless do you have to be not to just talk to your employee bluntly and tell them they are no longer needed?
It still bothers me a year later how they didn't even ask why I was quitting (since they already knew) and that I was just an expendable pawn and my loyalty to the company meant absolutely nothing.

Honestly, I wish I could have screwed them over somehow, but as it was, I didn't get to do anything except leave with my tail between my legs.


That was kinda stupid. I think?

Some jobs you can't just fire people from like that. If they were planning on getting rid of you they wouldn't have given u a raise.

That was probably their plot to make you quit rather than them firing you (for benefits and legal reasons). So you kinda fell for the trap...


I had past history with this employer. They had a financial issue during my third year with them and laid me off. I got unemployment though, so I doubt it saved them much money. When they called me a year later, I came back to them - stupidly, but because I honestly believed that they laid me off because of lack of business and not because they were douches.
Then, a year later, they ran into issues again, and this time cut me back to part-time for 6 months. I couldn't really do anything except accept this or find another job, but the job market was so crappy, I just felt lucky to have a job. Also, my father-in-law was sick, so it gave me more time to help with him - so I sucked it up. But I was starting to see that this was the business' "practice".
This last time was just the final straw. And yes, they wanted me to quit because they couldn't legally fire me (although Virginia is a right-to-work state, so they probably could have come up with something to let me go if they wanted). My husband told me to leave - he was tired of them treating me like an expendable piece of crap.

I love my husband.
Tarya 
52889 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / F / Virginia, US
Online
Posted 10/3/15

VZ68 wrote:


Tarya wrote:

I turned in my resignation and quit with no notice at my last job.
I had been with the company for 7.5 years, and I found out through an email between my immediate boss and the CEO that they had been searching for and had found a replacement for me that could start in a couple of weeks - AND the newbie was going to be paid more than me. They had left this email purposefully for me to find and read.
I was floored and really didn't know how I should react. I would have understood if I just sucked at my job, but they had just given me a raise a few months prior and my evaluation said I was a doing an excellent job. Come to find out, they had been planning to get rid of me for months - even before I had gotten the raise.
Anyways, I don't advocate for quitting without notice - it makes it harder to find a new job. But in this instance, it was a matter of pride, and I was NOT going to train my replacement (I've had to do that before and it is mortifying). I wanted to inconvenience my employers because I felt that was the only way to show how upset I was - I mean how spineless do you have to be not to just talk to your employee bluntly and tell them they are no longer needed?
It still bothers me a year later how they didn't even ask why I was quitting (since they already knew) and that I was just an expendable pawn and my loyalty to the company meant absolutely nothing.

Honestly, I wish I could have screwed them over somehow, but as it was, I didn't get to do anything except leave with my tail between my legs.


Naw, if they show you the door and try and get you to quit, you only have a couple of things to do. I had an issue with one company and it seems they forgot that I was on the OG crew that put the place together and had a bunch of shit stored in my head that went with me when I left.

Some of the things that we had to do to get that place up and running was "wrong" on paper and we never changed the paperwork to update. I guess they lost a whole bank of dollar slot machines for a friggin' month because in order for them to work, the player tracking systems had to be wired in "backwards". Needless to say, anyone wanna guess what losing a bank of dollar machines for a month at a casino costs?



Ouch!
I was in charge of most of the reporting and reviewing of our companies programs and making the presentations for the clients. We had a program that only I ever used.
I actually did nothing to the program, but my boss said that I deleted it and wouldn't pay me my portion of commission on my last sales and my vacation pay. They actually wanted me to come up there and talk to them...
Like hell I would come up there so they could say I was trespassing or something.
But since I was the only one who used the program, they couldn't figure out how to use it (I heard this from a co-worker) - they paid someone to design a new system for them.
I also was the one to set up all the items for the webstores. The girl that took over for me has fed them some bull-hockey that it takes a half hour per item to set up (lol). So now it takes her days or even weeks to set up a webstore that I would have done in a little over a day.
They hired 3 account managers for the job that I was doing by myself.

Before I left, I did delete all of my email history and all of my old personal files. I had completely cleaned off my computer for the next employee. Aren't I nice?
3119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 10/3/15
I worked at McDonalds once and on my last day, I got so fed up that I said I was sick and left. I quit the next day. The place was so poorly ran, the workers were so dumb, I hated almost every person there, and I was never given the breaks I was supposed to get.

My last day, I was called in early because this place can never keep enough workers to run smoothly, and 2 hours after I showed up, which was like 6 am, I was forced to take my break. Now that doesn't sound bad, but if you worked at fast food before, you know you never get the breaks you're actually supposed to get. And for my first 2 hours I did nothing, and I was going to be stuck at the only open register from 6am to 4pm that day, which sucks. Around 8-9 am is when McDonalds starts to get crowded, and from lunch onwards, it's awful (at least at my local restaurant). This pretty much made me snap, since I was already pissed and now I was going to work through breakfast and lunch without a break, so I quit without any notice.

This might sound like I'm just spoiled or whatever, but I promise I'm not. I hated my job there, and that day was the last straw.
11024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / WA
Offline
Posted 10/3/15 , edited 10/3/15
I did because the boss treated me like crape worked for him for four years. when he took time off I was the one in charge of the crew. Never got any time off. Glad I left.
11213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Clinton, NY
Offline
Posted 10/3/15

serifsansserif wrote:

Nope. Sense of honor and integrity is too strong.

Honestly. It's a bitch. Had a chance today to knock an easy $100 off my rent if I told my landlord I did the weeding in the back or if I did anything else that needed to be knocked off. And it wasn't just telling him. He specifically asked like 3 or 4 times.

I answered honestly that I hadn't...

And that's not the first or only time I've fucked myself over to be honest and to keep my word to the best of my ability either.

Kinda pisses me off, but it's just.. there's VALUE in maintaining personal integrity.


I've been there, it'd be a lot easier to get ahead if it was not for this pesky sense of honor and personal integrity. Being Lawful Good has it's downsides. We don't even get cookies.

As for the OP and just quitting, no don't do that. It shows a distinct lack of character and class.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 10/3/15

kamaitachi5587 wrote:


serifsansserif wrote:

Nope. Sense of honor and integrity is too strong.

Honestly. It's a bitch. Had a chance today to knock an easy $100 off my rent if I told my landlord I did the weeding in the back or if I did anything else that needed to be knocked off. And it wasn't just telling him. He specifically asked like 3 or 4 times.

I answered honestly that I hadn't...

And that's not the first or only time I've fucked myself over to be honest and to keep my word to the best of my ability either.

Kinda pisses me off, but it's just.. there's VALUE in maintaining personal integrity.


I've been there, it'd be a lot easier to get ahead if it was not for this pesky sense of honor and personal integrity. Being Lawful Good has it's downsides. We don't even get cookies.

As for the OP and just quitting, no don't do that. It shows a distinct lack of character and class.


I'm not... exactly... lawful good. I have an assortment of roles. Trickster, Adversary, etc.... There's just situations and rules that I absolutely adamantly refuse to bend because I'd rather err on the side of being good... I'd stick myself more lawful neutral or neutral neutral, or possibly lawful evil...

I'm not the type to run around saving princesses, and I have a rather nasty Machiavellian streak with a core that loves some good old fashioned vengeance... But again.. Rules.... and a choice to subvert the negative or use it for a greater good. I also love breaking or (more often) bending the rules others set just for the sake of doing so. (because breaking them is sometimes required, but bending them is a LOT of fun, and requires some great round about thinking... Just so long as I obey my own).

One of the rules is about being as honest and truthful as possible. (though, if truly and utterly in a bind, you can still lie by telling the truth.. Kinda like how I purposely was honest about my honesty in my quoted text, but also said it in a way that was meant to encourage honesty in others.. Yes.. sometimes it's that meta.)
One is about taking life. (Don't. Except when it's a matter of survival and no other options are found)
And there's only a handful of others...

The lawful part.. definitely true...
25065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / [ ᴄʟᴀssɪғɪᴇᴅ ]
Offline
Posted 10/4/15

Hmm......... in past places of occupation, never have I up & quit a firm, despite my dissatisfaction. I'd often submit my 2-week notice and leave in peace. My reason? In case the new place I work in would check on referrals. Knowin' that the past management's aware that I'm doin' things right, keeps my step onto the next company smooth and clean. Still, when it comes to them askin' why I'm quitting, I give em some bullshit reason. Valid enough that they can't find an excuse to detain me, despite the Right of Will.
cenie 
30312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 10/4/15
Inform them and give them 2 weeks notice. You may dislike your job, but your new employer may ask your old employer about you and you do not want negative comments to come up.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.