First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply What Anime Do Atheist Watch?
12138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 10/5/15 , edited 10/5/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


mu00man wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


YayForKittens wrote:

You have to be a certain religion to watch what you want now?


Agreed, although to be fair, Atheism has no collective or main beliefs inherent to its followers and denominations :/


Wow you are soooo fail. According to google their main collective or main belief inherent to its followers and denominations are....

"disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods."

take away that part and you are no longer an atheist lol.

Being unable to prove or to disprove something (in this case god) is still belief and not knowledge. Some things just have stronger, more support/arguments but it is still a belief until it is proven/becomes knowledge.


Other than that. :/


You are forgiven, I blame your avatar since it's so distracting.

But isn't that the whole Point? The moral compass aka god.

Oh so then I guess I'd have to ask the person who ask if an "Which anime do Atheist watch?", I'd have to reply with

"Why, are there any anime that a non-atheist wouldn't watch or think is super religious?"
Posted 10/5/15
They watch anime that involve God killing people..
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/5/15 , edited 10/5/15

mu00man wrote:

Well how "Jesus" does this anime have to be?
You could say Korito is Jesus and Asuna is "Job" (or someone who know more stories can pick a better character).

Oh BTW if you haven't watched SAO (Sword Art Online) SPOILERS WARNING!!!!!

edit=fixed spoiler section


Also SAO spoiler
35037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 10/5/15 , edited 10/5/15
Um...they watch...er...is it moe? Is moe the right answer?

It's hard to say since Atheism doesn't really have a unifying code of ethics or morals, has no strictly defining characteristics beyond lack of belief in a god or gods (including goddesses) whether this lack of belief be gnostic or agnostic, and doesn't intrinsically come with a call to action on its behalf. Because of all that there's no particular anime or genre thereof that's either forbidden or encouraged among Atheists in general.

One would therefore expect that there's no significant difference between the shows and genres watched by self-identified Atheists and those who do not self-identify as Atheists that was attributable to that self-identification.
12138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 10/5/15

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


mu00man wrote:

Well how "Jesus" does this anime have to be?
You could say Korito is Jesus and Asuna is "Job" (or someone who know more stories can pick a better character).

Oh BTW if you haven't watched SAO (Sword Art Online) SPOILERS WARNING!!!!!

edit=fixed spoiler section


Also SAO spoiler

15259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 10/5/15

onibrotonel wrote:


Voc666IV wrote:

Unless it's a Jesus anime I'd reckon atheists watch the same anime as everyone else

Now I kinda want a Jesus anime




Err... is this what they call blasphemy?

I should not be this surprised since South Park has been ripping Jesus for almost two decades.



Don't worry, I asked God


I think his exact words were: "course it's a good idea"
12138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 10/5/15

BlueOni wrote:

Um...they watch...er...is it moe? Is moe the right answer?

It's hard to say since Atheism doesn't really have a unifying code of ethics or morals, has no strictly defining characteristics beyond lack of belief in a god or gods (including goddesses) whether this lack of belief be gnostic or agnostic, and doesn't intrinsically come with a call to action on its behalf. Because of all that there's no particular anime or genre thereof that's either forbidden or encouraged among Atheists in general.

One would therefore expect that there's no significant difference between the shows and genres watched by self-identified Atheists and those who do not self-identify as Atheists that was attributable to that self-identification.


So then morally/ethically speaking is there a difference between agnostics and atheist? The only differences I can see between agnostics/atheist compared to believers in terms of morality/ethics?

It's basically comes down to:

Believers:
because god(s)/GOD(s) said so

Agnostic:
because an unspecified god(s)/GOD(s) said so
and/or well defined argument/thesis

Atheist:
well define argument/thesis (note these could use religious arguments but the ones used wouldn't end with "because god(s)/God(s) said so."
i.e. The golden rule:
One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself (positive or directive form).

makes sense on it's own, but it also can be said to be christian teachings/came from god.

Oh couldn't an easy answer just be:

"The animes that I find that are entertaining to me." or "Some of the anime that are on CR, like ones with people in it where stuff happens .
12138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 10/5/15
Wait that stuff above doesn't matter b/c the real question doesn't match the title of the post, we've been tricked!

the question was:

"Do atheist spoil the fun for others when they watch anime?"

This sounds like a fun experiment:
First we gotta find Others, while they are watching anime, then we have to wait for Fun to show up before we can spoil "Fun" with my Treasure Hunter from lineage 2.
Once testing is done we'll let you know if atheist can spoil the Fun for Others when they watch anime.

Oh wait I messed up already, we gotta find an Other who has a Treasure Hunter that the Atheist can borrow/use to spoil Fun with.
35037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 10/5/15

mu00man wrote:

So then morally/ethically speaking is there a difference between agnostics and atheist? The only differences I can see between agnostics/atheist compared to believers in terms of morality/ethics?

It's basically comes down to:

Believers:
because god(s)/GOD(s) said so

Agnostic:
because an unspecified god(s)/GOD(s) said so
and/or well defined argument/thesis

Atheist:
well define argument/thesis (note these could use religious arguments but the ones used wouldn't end with "because god(s)/God(s) said so."
i.e. The golden rule:
One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself (positive or directive form).

makes sense on it's own, but it also can be said to be christian teachings/came from god.

Oh couldn't an easy answer just be:

"The animes that I find that are entertaining to me." or "Some of the anime that are on CR, like ones with people in it where stuff happens .


That last bit pretty much represents how most people are making the decision of what to watch anyway. Still, I'll indulge the question for its own sake.

I'm pretty sure the agnostic/gnostic divide refers to the certainty that's attached to the claim "God does exist" or "God doesn't exist". A gnostic of either a theist or atheist stripe would make their respective claims with total certainty, while an agnostic of either stripe would make their claims without total certainty. It doesn't really get to the content of their ethical and moral stances at all, just how confident they are as theists or atheists. So you can be an agnostic theist or agnostic atheist, with the difference being "I'm less than 100% but more than 0% confident that gods/goddesses do/don't exist."

An agnostic atheist would probably demand a moral and ethical framework constructed entirely of sound reasoning and refuse to accept one rooted in arguments that defer to divine authority and an unknowable will, while an agnostic theist might go either way. They might accept divine command theory and just say "This is what God says is right, so that's what's right." as you've suggested, but they might also say "I'm not completely sure gods/goddesses exist even if I do tend to think they do, so let's make sure this checks out logically anyway."
17 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/5/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

It's legit, although technically I'm agnostic. :/ Would everyone's favorite onii chan lie to you?


Been wondering about this for a while, do you (and anyone else who identifies as such here) know about apathiesm? I think a lot of people misidentify because they don't have terminology straight and I really hate when people correct me.
12138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 10/5/15

jg9797 wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

It's legit, although technically I'm agnostic. :/ Would everyone's favorite onii chan lie to you?


Been wondering about this for a while, do you (and anyone else who identifies as such here) know about apathiesm? I think a lot of people misidentify because they don't have terminology straight and I really hate when people correct me.


I never learned this term, is it different from scepticism? Scepticism also denies knowledge, so if apathiesm doesn't deny knowledge then it would be different.
17 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/5/15

mu00man wrote:


jg9797 wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

It's legit, although technically I'm agnostic. :/ Would everyone's favorite onii chan lie to you?


Been wondering about this for a while, do you (and anyone else who identifies as such here) know about apathiesm? I think a lot of people misidentify because they don't have terminology straight and I really hate when people correct me.


I never learned this term, is it different from scepticism? Scepticism also denies knowledge, so if apathiesm doesn't deny knowledge then it would be different.


I've not heard scepticism used religiously, but I would guess it's pretty similar.

Some quick google dictionary/wikipedia results for you:

Agnostic (n.) -

A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

Apatheism, also known as pragmatic atheism or practical atheism, is acting with apathy, disregard, or lack of interest towards belief or disbelief in a deity.

Do you believe that you don't know and shouldn't bother finding out, or that it is impossible to know (beyond material phenomena).
7300 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / F / Mississippi
Offline
Posted 10/5/15
What made you ask this? It's a question that you need to state more about.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/5/15

mu00man wrote:


Ah, I see your point. Yah, looking at it that way definitely does make sense and could be a plausible allusion. Not very knowledgeable about the bible, so didn't look at it in that aspect at first. It's a pretty interesting theory to say the least lol.
12138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 10/5/15

jg9797 wrote:


mu00man wrote:


jg9797 wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

It's legit, although technically I'm agnostic. :/ Would everyone's favorite onii chan lie to you?


Been wondering about this for a while, do you (and anyone else who identifies as such here) know about apathiesm? I think a lot of people misidentify because they don't have terminology straight and I really hate when people correct me.


I never learned this term, is it different from scepticism? Scepticism also denies knowledge, so if apathiesm doesn't deny knowledge then it would be different.


I've not heard scepticism used religiously, but I would guess it's pretty similar.

Some quick google dictionary/wikipedia results for you:

Agnostic (n.) -

A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

Apatheism, also known as pragmatic atheism or practical atheism, is acting with apathy, disregard, or lack of interest towards belief or disbelief in a deity.

Do you believe that you don't know and shouldn't bother finding out, or that it is impossible to know (beyond material phenomena).


oh I see, it's a sub set of Atheism, and definitely not skepticism. I guess I'd be apatheism, since the way I believe, who cares what others believe unless they are a horrible person (defining that is another endless rabbit hole lol). That follows my beliefs where I say school=teaches you knowledge, while religion/belief is for learning ethics/morals.

If we have the same freindly conclusions who cares how you get there, unless it requires me to something that inconvenients me to make you feel better lol (racist/prejudice/hate/etc). Like a really crude example I in order to make your morals work I have to do the same thing like walk on tacks. Though if I have to do something not so detrimental like go to church with my gf/wife no biggy. Though it's the other one who will have to live with the consequence of belief that i'll be going to hell or whatever the consequence it is for being a non believer lol.

Real life examples, btw if you wanna argue those about whose right and wrong i'll say ok and let you win, I don't want to argue over those/hijack thread that's why it's in a spoiler.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.