First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
If an Atheist sneezes...
15071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/5/15 , edited 10/5/15
Atheists are all the rage these days, so many forum posts related to Atheists.
18178 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 10/5/15

tf2pyros wrote:


onibrotonel wrote:

Sneeze response:

"When you die, nothing happens."


Dane Cook!

?

I was going for Shinigami Ryuk from Death Note, but whatever.


10291 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Abyss
Offline
Posted 10/5/15

kinga750 wrote:

Most athiests don't care what you say, but gesundheit just means "health" so you can go with that.


Actually Gesund means health. The suffix -heit means -ness. So all in all it means healthiness. I took a few years of German and lived there. Just a little tidbit.

As for Gesundheit, I say it to others when they sneeze. When they say "bless you" to me, I just tend to say thanks. It doesn't bother me. What makes me cringe a bit is when I am going on a long driving trip (10+ hours) and people say something along the lines "may the angles bless you can watch over you on your trip, have a blessed day!" It just goes so overboard! I hear it quite often in Texas.
25298 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/5/15
Who gives a shit? For fuck's sake I'm an atheist and I say "Bless you," when someone sneezes. Because in the large scheme of things it doesn't fucking matter. If someone, religious or not, gets bent out of shape over something that minimal they're just being fucking petty.
540 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Clock town
Offline
Posted 10/5/15
Non-relgious you, and walk away, joking of course, I say bless you when anybody sneezes.
Bless you for all who sneezed while reading this.
3000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/5/15

tf2pyros wrote:

How would you say, "God Bless You" or "Bless you" in their terms?


why do you have to say bless you when someone sneezes? i don't do that and i see no point in doing that
37709 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/5/15 , edited 10/5/15

Dark_Alma wrote:
Actually Gesund means health. The suffix -heit means -ness. So all in all it means healthiness. I took a few years of German and lived there. Just a little tidbit.

As for Gesundheit, I say it to others when they sneeze. When they say "bless you" to me, I just tend to say thanks. It doesn't bother me. What makes me cringe a bit is when I am going on a long driving trip (10+ hours) and people say something along the lines "may the angles bless you can watch over you on your trip, have a blessed day!" It just goes so overboard! I hear it quite often in Texas.

I thought I was missing something. I took 2 years of German too, but it was my sleep class and the teacher was senile. Half the time she couldn't remember if she was teaching German or Spanish. I passed with an entirely undeserved C and barely know a few phrases.
10291 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Abyss
Offline
Posted 10/5/15

kinga750 wrote:


Dark_Alma wrote:
Actually Gesund means health. The suffix -heit means -ness. So all in all it means healthiness. I took a few years of German and lived there. Just a little tidbit.

As for Gesundheit, I say it to others when they sneeze. When they say "bless you" to me, I just tend to say thanks. It doesn't bother me. What makes me cringe a bit is when I am going on a long driving trip (10+ hours) and people say something along the lines "may the angles bless you can watch over you on your trip, have a blessed day!" It just goes so overboard! I hear it quite often in Texas.

I thought I was missing something. I took 2 years of German too, but it was my sleep class and the teacher was senile. Half the time she couldn't remember if she was teaching German or Spanish. I passed with an entirely undeserved C and barely know a few phrases.


I loved my time in German class. I had two teachers from Germany to boot. One was from the US. She was meh. I learned a lot though. I need to go visit Germany again!
27241 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Tokyo, Japan
Offline
Posted 10/5/15

Vertamitlu wrote:


abeltensro wrote:


Vertamitlu wrote:


abeltensro wrote:

did being an atheist become a meme last night or am i just hallucinating.

Btw, i dont really care what anyone says when i sneeze. The fact is the whole god bless thing is less a religions thing and more of a english colloquialism. Its the same thing when you curse and say Jesus Christ, though mostly i just say fuck and shit.


As an Atheist, I agree with this. It's just a colloquialism and I don't even think twice about it. It's just a polite gesture from one person to another acknowledging your sneeze and making it so that you don't feel awkward for making a loud ass noise and spreading germs from your nose. I even catch myself saying it to others. It's just a saying that has lost its meaning. Honestly, do religious folks here really put so much thought into it by thinking, "I want God to bless this person because they have sneezed"? It's just something you say.


Im sure they bend down and pray every night at their home built chapels for all the people who sneezed that day; hoping god will smite them with anthrax or something.

BTW, never understood the appeal of believing in a man who looks like Jerry Garcia and floats in the clouds.


Don't quote me with your hateful bullshit. Next time I'll report you. It's people like you that make atheists look bad.


This entire thread is a joke and so was my reply (I know its hard to convey sarcasm through the internet but come on). You think snide comments like mine are the reason that the god fearing salt of the earth religious extremists think atheists are the devil and want to corrupt their kids? Historically, they (aka the religious extremists) shun everyone who isn't a part of their religion including people who are a part of other religions as well as atheists. Well, actually, It's not very historical since its still a part of today's current events.

There are extremist groups like ISIS who decapitate and kill anyone who aren't a part of their branch of Islam, the nut cases out in the Midwest who truly believe that god killed the soldiers in Iraq because Americans accept gay people and the Buddhists monks in Myanmar who are killing the Islam minorities simply because they are Islamic. If you want to see an example of why these people hate atheists then just go over to creation.com. Their various articles on atheists (and other religions) are not based in any kind of logic or truth which talk about how all atheists are soulless and immoral; everything that is said there is born out of pure ignorance.
32509 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / San Antonio, TX,...
Offline
Posted 10/5/15 , edited 10/5/15
I still say "Bless you", even though I myself don't believe in a god. Although me, and my friends like to joke around this whole thing.
17 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/5/15

haikinka wrote:

It's actually a common joke between us atheist. Gets laughs at every atheist party I go to..


Atheist parties are things? Well, then. Do you just go and revel in your denial of a higher power?
47269 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/5/15
I believe saying "bless you" is just fine enough.
Posted 10/5/15

jg9797 wrote:

Atheist parties are things? Well, then. Do you just go and revel in your denial of a higher power?


That is exactly what we do. All night long.
4777 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Chicago, Illinois
Offline
Posted 10/5/15 , edited 10/5/15
The ground you will go into when you die blesses you.
40250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Your friendly nei...
Offline
Posted 10/5/15
The correct responses are either "Science bless you" or "Fuck off"
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.