First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
Post Reply What's with the atheist hate?
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/6/15 , edited 10/8/15
I keep seeing all these negative comments towards atheists. What's up with that?

I'm Christian, now, but I was an atheist my entire life, prior to that. I promise it wasn't hate that won me over. It wasn't arguing with me, either (by the way, Christians will always lose a scientific argument).

Also, can't speak for other religions, aren't we as Christians just supposed to love everyone? If your heart is full of hate, you aren't acting like a Christian... you're acting like a follower of the adversary, under the banner of Christ.

Did someone get their feelings hurt because an atheist was smarter than them and made them look stupid or something? I just don't know what the deal is.

Posted 10/6/15
Maybe they think they're smart for coming up with those lame jokes.

79 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Marietta, Georgia
Offline
Posted 10/6/15
In a lot of Christian's minds anything negative can be pointed to Atheism. I grew up in the Bible belt surrounded by flaming conservative Christians. Down here they tend to treat Atheist very poorly, its nothing unusual.
3228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/6/15 , edited 10/6/15

HolyDrumstick wrote:
I promise it wasn't hate that won me over. It wasn't arguing with me, either (by the way, Christians will always lose a scientific argument).


Well, it's relative to who's doing the arguing, hah. When I was in college, I once asked my Anatomey/Physiology instructor how she could be so smart when it comes to medical science and still believe in God, and she told me something along the lines of "it's because I know so much, and because I know there's so much that can't be explained."

I'm still a "devout" atheist myself, heh, but I'll always remember her saying that.


PhysicalSquid wrote:

In a lot of Christian's minds anything negative can be pointed to Atheism. I grew up in the Bible belt surrounded by flaming conservative Christians. Down here they tend to treat Atheist very poorly, its nothing unusual.


I lived down in your area for a few years (just north of Atlanta, little town called Dahlonega) and I know your pain. It was weird for me, being in a place where "Jesus" was used every other sentence and NOT as an expletive. XD
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/6/15 , edited 10/8/15

PhysicalSquid wrote:

In a lot of Christian's minds anything negative can be pointed to Atheism. I grew up in the Bible belt surrounded by flaming conservative Christians. Down here they tend to treat Atheist very poorly, its nothing unusual.


Oh, I know, man. I'm in Texas. A part of Texas that has a church on every corner, but not a bar in sight. I get that. It's terrible, because you can't even state what and how you believe. I've had people tell me to shut up, because they couldn't bear to hear me talk about religion.

I'm Christian now, but I still don't see eye to eye with most of that type.
14124 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / PA, USA
Offline
Posted 10/6/15
When people are threatened with the idea that everything they've built their lives on could be total fantasy, they react very aggressively to maintain that belief structure. See that's main difference, from what I've experienced, in religious versus secular views... for a secular to adopt a new belief system isn't as bad from a cognitive point of view as a religious person losing the foundation of their entire worldview.


As an aside, I'd be interested in hearing about what caused your change of heart regarding your views on religion.
Also, what's your take on the boardline horror-story that is about 3/4 of the bible... I kinda see Jesus / God as good cop, bad cop.

You can either do it easy way and hang out Jesus and be best buds, or bad cop comes in the room and fricks you, your family, and all the first born sons in 100 mile radius up.
11095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33
Offline
Posted 10/6/15
Posted 10/6/15 , edited 10/8/15
Hard not to hate a non-god fearing person as a religious person, don't know what atheist are capable of without a moral barometer. Can't trust them.
79 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Marietta, Georgia
Offline
Posted 10/6/15

HolyDrumstick wrote:


PhysicalSquid wrote:

In a lot of Christian's minds anything negative can be pointed to Atheism. I grew up in the Bible belt surrounded by flaming conservative Christians. Down here they tend to treat Atheist very poorly, its nothing unusual.


Oh, I know, man. I'm in Texas. A part of Texas that has a church on every corner, but not a bar in sight. I get that. It's terrible, because you can't even state what and how you believe. I've had people tell me to shut up, because they couldn't bear to hear me talk about religion.

I'm Christian now, but I still don't see eye to eye with most of that type.


Yeah. I can't ever seem to have a logical discussion with most of them. Its like I'm surrounded by Fox News anchors.
Posted 10/6/15
I'm pretty sure most of it's from the "In group" phenomenon where anyone that's not part of there group is made fun of since there not in the group.
79 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Marietta, Georgia
Offline
Posted 10/6/15 , edited 10/8/15

haikinka wrote:

Hard not to hate a non-god fearing person as a religious person, don't know what atheist are capable of without a moral barometer. Can't trust them.


Although religion is responsible for a lot of morality, the idea of atheist have no moral barometer is insanity. You might be surprised to know how many murders are influenced by religion. Many passages in the Bible instruct Christians to kill for reasons we see today as immoral. And atheist are the ones without a moral barometer? Doubt it.
79 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Marietta, Georgia
Offline
Posted 10/6/15

sarteck wrote:


HolyDrumstick wrote:
I promise it wasn't hate that won me over. It wasn't arguing with me, either (by the way, Christians will always lose a scientific argument).


Well, it's relative to who's doing the arguing, hah. When I was in college, I once asked my Anatomey/Physiology instructor how she could be so smart when it comes to medical science and still believe in God, and she told me something along the lines of "it's because I know so much, and because I know there's so much that can't be explained."

I'm still a "devout" atheist myself, heh, but I'll always remember her saying that.


PhysicalSquid wrote:

In a lot of Christian's minds anything negative can be pointed to Atheism. I grew up in the Bible belt surrounded by flaming conservative Christians. Down here they tend to treat Atheist very poorly, its nothing unusual.


I lived down in your area for a few years (just north of Atlanta, little town called Dahlonega) and I know your pain. It was weird for me, being in a place where "Jesus" was used every other sentence and NOT as an expletive. XD


Seriously! You get scolded for having differing opinions down here.

10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/6/15

cenobytecode wrote:
As an aside, I'd be interested in hearing about what caused your change of heart regarding your views on religion.
Also, what's your take on the boardline horror-story that is about 3/4 of the bible... I kinda see Jesus / God as good cop, bad cop.

You can either do it easy way and hang out Jesus and be best buds, or bad cop comes in the room and fricks you, your family, and all the first born sons in 100 mile radius up.


Honestly, I really didn't have an "experience" to "wake me up" to Christ, or anything. I had stayed atheist through all of my rough times. I mean, I had flat-lined with an overdose, had a hell-like dream, and STILL stayed atheist. So, it wasn't anything traumatic that changed me.

I was happy and comfortable with my life... but for some reason, I turned to Christ. I've had a LOT of experiences that prove (at least to me) that Christ is real, but only right AFTER I decided to believe in Him.

As far as what you are talking about. Kinda have to know the bible to know what you are talking about. Old Testament stuff was pretty rough. But that all changed with the coming of Christ. While Christ would agree that something was a sin, he turned away from things like stoning, etc. He was all about love. Though it really doesn't explain it in the bible, from what I have gathered and what I believe, Christ changed God as much as he changed how people follow God.... but that's really mostly my own theory from things I have read. Plenty of people still want to count the Old Testament with the same authority as the New... but, if you follow Christ, and the New Testament, a LOT of the Old Testament stuff is pretty much nothing but history.

[I'm sure I'll have fellow Christians raging at me now. Preemptively, I don't care if you think I'm going to hell.... and God bless you.]

So... I hope that answers your questions, cenobytecode, and God bless.
29840 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 10/6/15 , edited 10/8/15

haikinka wrote:

Hard not to hate a non-god fearing person as a religious person, don't know what atheist are capable of without a moral barometer. Can't trust them.


^
4052 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 10/6/15 , edited 10/6/15
Part of it is "Payback" I think. Not all of them are like this but some athiests especially online act like they are just the smartest bastard on the planet and anyone who believes in god or anything similar are just uneducated morons.

Seriously go to any youtube video where god is even mentioned and you'll find some troll going around talking about how stupid christians are and other crap like that.

Also while it's not as common you'll see some act like that in reality too and so for some if athiests are going to treat them like shit they'll treat them like shit right back.

It's true that christian teachings tell you NOT to do that and to love people even if they do wrong to you but a lot tend to forget that so you end up with this.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.