First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Post Reply Great, another romance...
2496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Baton Rouge, Loui...
Offline
Posted 10/9/15 , edited 10/9/15
Am I the only one that gets kind of annoyed when a writer feels the need to throw in a random romance or like romantic hints and fanservice in any of their series?

I mean, I can understand if the romance is expected or has some sorta meaning but then there's stuff like Ginny and Harry in Harry Potter or like Sakura and Sasuke (I mean, didn't Sasuke mistreat Sakura a lot prior to?).

I mean, I understand that love is kind of a big deal for most but am I the only one that kinda see some series get ruined or just a little less fun to watch because of a wrongly timed romance?
48485 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Colorado
Offline
Posted 10/9/15
Its a marketing strategy they use to ensure the show is popular among the female viewers. Same reason why in a middle of a action movie, there's a unnecessary sex scene. Nothing to do with the story.

I agree with you it is pointless.
24564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 10/9/15
To be fair to Harry Potter - in the books, there was a lot more build up to Ginny & Harry getting together. So, while it may have felt a bit jarring at times in the film versions - it seemed much more logical in the books.

That said, I get your point. Oddly timed or shoe-horned romantic elements can make a movie or series feel off.
52969 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/9/15 , edited 10/9/15
I don't mind it. I kinda like a sprinkle of romance in some anime, just to have some change of those serious atmosphere. Like fullmetal alchemist, it's a very serious anime that doesn't really focus on romance nor have it as a genre, but the lighthearted ending was enjoyful
2496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Baton Rouge, Loui...
Offline
Posted 10/9/15

jhanna_12 wrote:

I don't mind it. I kinda like a sprinkle of romance in some anime, just to have some change of those serious atmosphere. Life fullmetal alchemist, it's a very serious anime that doesn't really focus on romance nor have it as a genre, but the lighthearted ending was enjoyful


I can understand that but I always had a thing against last-minute hookups, especially for an action-type series or a series that have a war and stuff going on.

I mean, it's like "where do you find the time to hook up while the bad guys are trying to kill you like right now?".

sure probably afterwards, the guy and girl should get together or some stuff like that (like I don't mind it in Dragon Ball Z because it was a surprise, not some obvious thing) but I feel like when a relationship is prevalent in most of anything. One person has to look weak.

Like, the protagonist has to be a badass and the recipient of the romantic feel has to be kinda in distress or just barely breaking the surface of badassery only to suddenly turn badass via the power of love.

And that just bums me out.

Plus, I hate exactly how some people "hook up" in stuff? On TV and in movies, apparently, it's the five second stare which leads to a smile (normally from the recipient, not the protagonist) when it's like...not like that too much in real life.

just bugs me a little, y'know?
Posted 10/9/15 , edited 10/9/15
I mostly hate watching something with characters crying or talking about something "depressing" that happened in their life, or they complain a lot [what's worse is that it's usually something not worth complaining about]... for God's sake, nobody cares. lol, i'm kidding. But seriously... you just find yourself wishing they'd kill themselves already.

Yet, i do also hate action. I guess i don't like watching melodramatic stuff.
2496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Baton Rouge, Loui...
Offline
Posted 10/9/15 , edited 10/9/15

severticas wrote:

I mostly hate watching something with characters crying or talking about something "depressing" that happened in their life, or they complain a lot ... for God's sake, nobody cares. lol, i'm kidding. But seriously... you just find yourself wishing they'd kill themselves already.


true fax, bro, but the power of love somehow beats that in most shows where that happens and it'd be somehow relevant to the plot.

But then you see it in action movies or like action shows and it's like -crash-, -boom-, let's hook up, -crash-, -boom-, -wartime-.

I mean, have you read the Walking Dead comic?
2496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Baton Rouge, Loui...
Offline
Posted 10/9/15

mdmrn wrote:

To be fair to Harry Potter - in the books, there was a lot more build up to Ginny & Harry getting together. So, while it may have felt a bit jarring at times in the film versions - it seemed much more logical in the books.

That said, I get your point. Oddly timed or shoe-horned romantic elements can make a movie or series feel off.


I really need to read those books, the movies made it look like a last minute hookup kinda thing.

17181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 10/9/15
Yikes... This thread

It's kind of what they did with darker than black, but I love that stuff. Yup
2496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Baton Rouge, Loui...
Offline
Posted 10/9/15
I'm not trying to stir anything, I'm just wondering if I'm the only person that gets slightly turned off of a show or series when a romance just sorta "pops up" at the wrong time.
52969 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/9/15

Kid2daKrazx wrote:

I can understand that but I always had a thing against last-minute hookups, especially for an action-type series or a series that have a war and stuff going on.

I mean, it's like "where do you find the time to hook up while the bad guys are trying to kill you like right now?".

sure probably afterwards, the guy and girl should get together or some stuff like that (like I don't mind it in Dragon Ball Z because it was a surprise, not some obvious thing) but I feel like when a relationship is prevalent in most of anything. One person has to look weak.

Like, the protagonist has to be a badass and the recipient of the romantic feel has to be kinda in distress or just barely breaking the surface of badassery only to suddenly turn badass via the power of love.

And that just bums me out.

Plus, I hate exactly how some people "hook up" in stuff? On TV and in movies, apparently, it's the five second stare which leads to a smile (normally from the recipient, not the protagonist) when it's like...not like that too much in real life.

just bugs me a little, y'know?


Yeah there are some that are just annoying and unnecessary
Like when I'm watching an action movie or a drama, there will be a scene where the protagonist needs to defuse a bomb but before that, a dramatic scene and a dramatic music plays, and the protagonist stares at this girl... I'm like... Whatdapwojcjamndidue!!! There's a freaking bomb you need to disarm in 10 seconds!!! And then he magically defused it with one second remaining
13568 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Winnipeg
Offline
Posted 10/9/15 , edited 10/9/15
Romance is fine/great if it's the point of a plot arc. Shoe-horned romances are usually/always bad.
Not every story demands it to raise the stakes or provide motivation, and when writers shove a damsel in distress in there to give the mighty hero something to fight for, it's just lazy and stupid. The military dude always has a wife and daughter back home. The masked crusader always has his girlfriend dangling off a bridge. The man with nothing to lose has someone to lose.

Blegh...

It's like...Hulk and Black Widow. Like, why? Why just smash that into the plot?
Like, the world ending isn't enough motivation to fight?
Posted 10/9/15 , edited 10/9/15
^ exactly! it's lazy.

Kid2daKrazx wrote:

I'm not trying to stir anything, I'm just wondering if I'm the only person that gets slightly turned off of a show or series when a romance just sorta "pops up" at the wrong time.


name it lol
2496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Baton Rouge, Loui...
Offline
Posted 10/9/15 , edited 10/9/15

severticas wrote:


Kid2daKrazx wrote:

I'm not trying to stir anything, I'm just wondering if I'm the only person that gets slightly turned off of a show or series when a romance just sorta "pops up" at the wrong time.


name it lol


Walking Dead comic when..



or like when Oda tries to tease a romantic interest with Boa Hancock and Luffy.

Or let's not forget Kirito and Asuna (which kinda turned me off Sword Art now), I thought that whole lovey-dovey between them was a little rushed.

Also, let's face it, it's just my opinion, I'm not stating anything as a definite fact because while I don't like AsuKiri, some people may love it and love stuff like it and I'm not gonna dis them for liking it.
Bavalt 
22029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/9/15
I can more or less agree. I'm a big fan of romance, so I can really appreciate it when it's done well - even in a series that doesn't have romance as one of its main genres - but it irks me when it's just haphazardly tossed in with inadequate buildup. The crux of it is that when a romantic setup is forced, it seems like those involved are acting out of character, and it results in an uncomfortable feeling of whiplash. If the series has been displaying their chemistry frequently enough beforehand, then it's much more natural and easy to appreciate.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.