First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Don't you think that autism shall be accepted?
242178 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
jabberwock island
Offline
Posted 9/20/16
Yes, duh
8060 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 9/20/16
What do you mean by "accepted"? Are there people that don't believe in it?

It's just something that affects people, you can't turn it on or off. It's like having to "accept" blonde hair on a person surely?
305 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Arkansas, USA
Offline
Posted 9/20/16
Yes CasualObserver, there are people that don't believe in it, they think it's a made up excuse.
305 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Arkansas, USA
Offline
Posted 9/20/16

CasualObserver wrote:

What do you mean by "accepted"? Are there people that don't believe in it?

It's just something that affects people, you can't turn it on or off. It's like having to "accept" blonde hair on a person surely?


Yes CasualObserver, there are people who see it as an excuse and don't believe in Autism.
305 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Arkansas, USA
Offline
Posted 9/20/16
Sorry, just learning how to use the forums on here.
19836 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 9/20/16
Accepted sure, it's not the person's fault their mental well being has been damaged. But some sick fucks actually celebrate the shit, that's going to far in my books. It's a tragedy not some damn lottery prize ya know.
422 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
O
Offline
Posted 9/20/16
Going to go get checked for mild autism soon, so yes.
8060 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 9/21/16

Arsam1114 wrote:


CasualObserver wrote:

What do you mean by "accepted"? Are there people that don't believe in it?

It's just something that affects people, you can't turn it on or off. It's like having to "accept" blonde hair on a person surely?


Yes CasualObserver, there are people who see it as an excuse and don't believe in Autism.


Wow, that's an epic fail of reality perception then. I guess some people just can't be helped.
305 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Arkansas, USA
Offline
Posted 9/23/16 , edited 9/23/16

Ranwolf wrote:

Accepted sure, it's not the person's fault their mental well being has been damaged. But some sick fucks actually celebrate the shit, that's going to far in my books. It's a tragedy not some damn lottery prize ya know.



Umm, I am autistic, and know many other autistic people. Please define the second sentence for me, before the comma.
I did a survey recently, most of us wouldn't accept a cure, a good chunk actually opposes a cure period. A couple even asked their kids, and they said the same thing for the most part. A lot of us are proud to be autistic, as it gives us some strengths. Now of course, I am not talking on behalf of every autistic person out there, because yes, there are some that wish they didn't have it.
I don't think we are that first part. You will need to elaborate on that for me to say something against it, lol.
I don't see them throwing parties saying let's have a party because we are autistic. No, we are not celebrating. Yes, when we get diagnosed with it, when expecting it, yes, they cheer, we are happy, they post about it, but they do not have a party. Autism is not a tragedy, ignorance like yours is. Fine, some people might see it as a tragedy, but most don't, they embrace it. You are correct when saying it's not some damn lottery prize.
(I can't say what you said, because the reply gets blocked if I do.)
305 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Arkansas, USA
Offline
Posted 9/23/16

TubaToaster wrote:

Going to go get checked for mild autism soon, so yes.


Really?
446 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 9/23/16
I will accept, but you're not going before
Hehehehe
422 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
O
Offline
Posted 9/23/16

Arsam1114 wrote:


TubaToaster wrote:

Going to go get checked for mild autism soon, so yes.


Really?

Yes, really.
19 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 9/23/16
yes
37130 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 9/23/16 , edited 9/23/16

Arsam1114 wrote:

Umm, I am autistic, and know many other autistic people. Please define the second sentence for me, before the comma.
I did a survey recently, most of us wouldn't accept a cure, a good chunk actually opposes a cure period. A couple even asked their kids, and they said the same thing for the most part. A lot of us are proud to be autistic, as it gives us some strengths. Now of course, I am not talking on behalf of every autistic person out there, because yes, there are some that wish they didn't have it.
I don't think we are that first part. You will need to elaborate on that for me to say something against it, lol.
I don't see them throwing parties saying let's have a party because we are autistic. No, we are not celebrating. Yes, when we get diagnosed with it, when expecting it, yes, they cheer, we are happy, they post about it, but they do not have a party. Autism is not a tragedy, ignorance like yours is. Fine, some people might see it as a tragedy, but most don't, they embrace it. You are correct when saying it's not some damn lottery prize.
(I can't say what you said, because the reply gets blocked if I do.)


So basically the idea is like deaf culture, then? The condition is so central to the way a person with it interacts with and perceives the world that it becomes an integral part of their identity that they wouldn't want to surrender even if they hypothetically could, because to do so would be to surrender a critically important piece of themselves while simultaneously launching them into circumstances they've never dealt with and have no preparedness whatsoever to handle or comprehend? And what's more, where some perceive the condition solely as a hindrance many among those who have it and those who live with/raise them have found, in addition to whatever burdens may be imposed, meaningful, valuable, and constructive characteristics and/or feelings that make things all worthwhile? For instance, one might have difficulty understanding or conforming to social conventions, but one might be incredibly talented at something that falls within the purview of an intensely focused interest?

If that's it then I think I understand and agree with the sentiment.
305 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Arkansas, USA
Offline
Posted 9/23/16

BlueOni wrote:


Arsam1114 wrote:

Umm, I am autistic, and know many other autistic people. Please define the second sentence for me, before the comma.
I did a survey recently, most of us wouldn't accept a cure, a good chunk actually opposes a cure period. A couple even asked their kids, and they said the same thing for the most part. A lot of us are proud to be autistic, as it gives us some strengths. Now of course, I am not talking on behalf of every autistic person out there, because yes, there are some that wish they didn't have it.
I don't think we are that first part. You will need to elaborate on that for me to say something against it, lol.
I don't see them throwing parties saying let's have a party because we are autistic. No, we are not celebrating. Yes, when we get diagnosed with it, when expecting it, yes, they cheer, we are happy, they post about it, but they do not have a party. Autism is not a tragedy, ignorance like yours is. Fine, some people might see it as a tragedy, but most don't, they embrace it. You are correct when saying it's not some damn lottery prize.
(I can't say what you said, because the reply gets blocked if I do.)


So basically the idea is like deaf culture, then? The condition is so central to the way a person with it interacts with and perceives the world that it becomes an integral part of their identity that they wouldn't want to surrender even if they hypothetically could, because to do so would be to surrender a critically important piece of themselves while simultaneously launching them into circumstances they've never dealt with and have no preparedness whatsoever to handle or comprehend? And what's more, where some perceive the condition solely as a hindrance many among those who have it and those who live with/raise them have found, in addition to whatever burdens may be imposed, meaningful, valuable, and constructive characteristics and/or feelings that make things all worthwhile? For instance, one might have difficulty understanding or conforming to social conventions, but one might be incredibly talented at something that falls within the purview of an intensely focused interest?

If that's it then I think I understand and agree with the sentiment.


As long as I processed what you said enough and correctly, the answer is yes.
Most of them said for the reason why, is because it makes them who they are, and without it, they would be a whole different person. I am the same way, it makes me who I am, and I wouldn't accept $10,000 to cure it, some said the same on their own accord.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.