First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply NARUTO AUTHOR KISHIMOTO PREPARING FOR NEW SCIENCE FICTION MANGA SERIES
22064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / NJ
Offline
Posted 10/17/15 , edited 10/17/15

Sephigi wrote:


sarteck wrote:


hyjinx17 wrote:


sarteck wrote:


hyjinx17 wrote:
True enough me liking it doesn't make it good, but I've got a whole lot of people in my corner.


And.... I'm still not seeing your point?

There's also a lot of people that believe in God, so... yeah. Work that one out.


You're seriously going there? Yeah I'm done with this conversation.


You're the one who's insinuating, "if it's popular, it must be right/good." ~shrug~ Just showing you that line of thought is kill.


You got that right and since when are "popular" and "good" synonyms? I'll doubt he'll ever know the difference.


you're talking about me not knowing the difference when you guys clearly don't know you thinking something is bad doesn't make it bad. Popularity doesn't equal quality, but things don't get popular if a lot of people don't find quality in it and thinking otherwise is asinine.
13899 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / US
Offline
Posted 10/17/15
This kind of turned into an argument but I'm excited excited for his new work and just wanted to point out whether or not naruto is considered "good" or "bad" the fact that with being how popular it is, it has been a gateway anime for many people and can't we appreciate it for that if nothing else...
1344 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 10/17/15
While saying that something that something is good because its popular is silly, denying that a popular work has merits of any kind just because it doesn't meet your tastes/standards is even more ludicrous.

Anyhow, this is a good test of Kishimoto's flexibility as an author. People are saying that the new work will be just as good/bad as Naruto, but there are some great example of authors finishing long runners and surprising everybody with a follow-up. For example, the guy who did Ruroni Kenshin went on to do Busou Renkin. People familiar with both series know how different they are, and, if you've only seen the animes, the similarities are hard to distinguish.
660 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Greensboro North...
Offline
Posted 10/17/15 , edited 10/17/15

sarteck wrote:


hyjinx17 wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I don't think it'll be good, considering Kishimoto.


Considering he made one of the most popular and beloved manga series globally how could it not be good?


"Popular" and "good" are two different things. Like PV, I was underwhelmed with Naruto, and to a greater extent Bleach, two of the most popular series.


Would you even consider Bleach popular nowadays

Also I'm hoping it set in space because barely any Shonen shows are set in space
3228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/17/15

PapaGregory wrote:
Would you even consider Bleach popular nowadays


Honestly, I don't even know if it is... I haven't read it for years. Did it drop out of the big three?
660 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Greensboro North...
Offline
Posted 10/17/15

sarteck wrote:


PapaGregory wrote:
Would you even consider Bleach popular nowadays


Honestly, I don't even know if it is... I haven't read it for years. Did it drop out of the big three?


It doesn't even have an anime anymore thats how much it dropped
1007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/17/15
It might be good buts also gonna have a lot of filler and drag on forever...idk about you guys but I cant handle another 700 episode series, especially if 80% is filler / talking / mediocore comedy.
5592 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / United States of...
Offline
Posted 3/14/16

BlazingRagnarok wrote:

While saying that something that something is good because its popular is silly, denying that a popular work has merits of any kind just because it doesn't meet your tastes/standards is even more ludicrous.

Anyhow, this is a good test of Kishimoto's flexibility as an author. People are saying that the new work will be just as good/bad as Naruto, but there are some great example of authors finishing long runners and surprising everybody with a follow-up. For example, the guy who did Ruroni Kenshin went on to do Busou Renkin. People familiar with both series know how different they are, and, if you've only seen the animes, the similarities are hard to distinguish.


And the test on flexibility is where I stand on this. Masashi Kishimoto tackling a more futuristic tech as opposed to the mash-up between magical beasts / powers and modern tech featured in Naruto might well be a nice second helping for the mangaka, even if it doesn entirely match the duration and popularity of his previous work. I think he might be able to pull it off (the slice-of-life one-shot mangas certainly made me think so).
27100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 3/14/16 , edited 3/14/16

hyjinx17
Considering he made one of the most popular and beloved manga series globally how could it not be good?


Yeah well, a lot of people think Twilight and Fifty Shades of Gray are good, too. Doesn't mean they are correct. Being popular just means it has more of a public eye and gained attention to certain demographics. Doesn't mean they are quality stories or any good at all. Naruto most certainly falls into that category, except it USED to be good, before Kishimoto stopped giving a damn and wrote one of the worst arcs ever in any Shonen Jump manga with that atrocity he passed off as the Fourth Ninja War, and that turd fest finale. Which is why I will never read anything from him again, because I know he will set up an amazing world, only to ruin it all with his own hands. Like George Lucas. Not fooling me twice.
4050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 3/14/16 , edited 3/15/16
Okay can we stop it with this snobish "I don't like something popular so I'm special and not one of the sheep who follow trends".

Seriously just because you preach "Popular doesn't mean good" doesn't make you smart. While saying popular doesn't mean good is VERY true it's also true popular things tend to be popular for a reason.

In the case of say Twilight it's been said it's popularity stems from wish fulfillment as well as the MC being so generic it's easy for readers to insert themselves as her. Putting whether that is true or not aside the point is some things are popular not for writing quality but because they play on a part of audiences desires.

But Naruto is just a shonen and doesn't have any fancy physo bable effects or shit. So it's popularity comes from people genuely liking the story and characters.

Does that mean you have to like it? No because no series can fit everyones tastes so even if a series pleases 99% of readers there is still that 1% that the series just doesn't appeal to.

However at the same time a series is not a failure just because you might happen to fall into the group it didn't appeal to. Whether you enjoy a series is a subjective opinion but whether a series is actually well made or not is objective.


In the case of Naruto if you look at it objectively while there are some flaws that I could go into a rant over the overall series is fairly well written and has a strong and mostly appealing cast of characters. Again this series won't please everyone but I think it's fair to say Naruto earned it's fan base.

To say otherwise is just being a hater or arrogantly thinking your personal tastes dictate quality.

In any case I'm looking forward to if this new work will show Kishimoto has what it takes to make another hit or is Naruto was just his lucky break.
1145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/14/16

hyjinx17 wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I don't think it'll be good, considering Kishimoto.


Considering he made one of the most popular and beloved manga series globally how could it not be good?


Having previously made a super popular work doesn't automatically make the next project amazing.

It will have people gobbling up the first volume though.
22064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / NJ
Offline
Posted 3/15/16

Orga777 wrote:


hyjinx17
Considering he made one of the most popular and beloved manga series globally how could it not be good?


Yeah well, a lot of people think Twilight and Fifty Shades of Gray are good, too. Doesn't mean they are correct. Being popular just means it has more of a public eye and gained attention to certain demographics. Doesn't mean they are quality stories or any good at all. Naruto most certainly falls into that category, except it USED to be good, before Kishimoto stopped giving a damn and wrote one of the worst arcs ever in any Shonen Jump manga with that atrocity he passed off as the Fourth Ninja War, and that turd fest finale. Which is why I will never read anything from him again, because I know he will set up an amazing world, only to ruin it all with his own hands. Like George Lucas. Not fooling me twice.


Good for you, but that doesn't make anything you say fact. As I said above, you not liking something doesn't = bad.
7574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/15/16 , edited 3/15/16

Sephigi wrote:

You got that right and since when are "popular" and "good" synonyms? I'll doubt he'll ever know the difference.


Case in point: Transformers 4, 'nuff said.

As for Kishimoto on sci-fi.....interesting. I hope his time away from naruto refreshes him because his writing in part one was more focused and I'd say better than good, while part 2 was a mess on all fronts, and not focused at all. Maybe this will be a short series and it can help him?

5058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / F
Offline
Posted 3/15/16
i truly do not understand the "hate" of the Naruto ending ESPECIALLY given one of the biggest motifs of the series- the horrible cycle of hate! The need for people to excel more towards acceptance and compassion. I just don't get it OR endless arguments over what is or isn't good anime.
21049 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NYC
Online
Posted 3/15/16
People who compensate for their insecurities by thinking that their idiosyncratic views about Naruto which dissent from the everyone else's opinion somehow matter to anyone remind me of those annoying 50-year-old children who go on social media and blab about how they much they don't believe in global warming.

First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.